Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4507642 - 02/17/20 03:46 AM I didn't know this. Women Top Guns.  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

They have women flying F-18 off the USS George H W Bush in combat missions now?

I knew they have women flying combat missions in the Air Force but the Navy Combat aviators are more elite.

Watching this doc.

https://www.amazon.com/Carriers-at-War-Season-1/dp/B07D51ZXR3

This was filmed in 2017 with the USS George H W Bush flying combat into Iraq to support Operation Inherent Resolve.

This other show that I watch the first episode of season 2 is about the HMS Duncan which filmed in 2018.

http://www.channel5.com/show/warship-life-at-sea/

It was also supporting Operation Inherent Resolve off the coast of Jordan in the Mediterranean sea, protecting France's newest and first nuclear aircraft carrier, the Charles De Gaulle.

The De Gaulle was launching air strikes into Iraq and Yemen with Rafale M fighters.

Attached Files Screenshot 1.pngScreenshot 2.pngScreenshot 3.pngScreenshot 4.pngScreenshot 5.pngScreenshot 6.pngScreenshot 7.png

[Linked Image]
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4507654 - 02/17/20 11:23 AM Re: I didn't know this. Women Top Guns. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
If you watch the Speed and Angles documentary they follow a female F-14 pilot as she goes through the combat training

The full video used to be on youtube but I don't see it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMlvGXzIfus
From about 37seconds in is part of the training

The full video is quite good I have it on Bluray

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4507677 - 02/17/20 02:52 PM Re: I didn't know this. Women Top Guns. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

I worked with FAC's quite a bit when I was in the Air Force. They were all former fighter pilots and it was mentioned that shorter people are less susceptible to GLOC. Something or other to do with distance between the heart and the brain. If that's true then their generally shorter stature would give them a leg up on men. They'd also have more room in the cockpit. And fly-by-wire means that it no longer takes a lot of physical strength to handle the controls, so why not?

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4507687 - 02/17/20 03:32 PM Re: I didn't know this. Women Top Guns. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

I mention what I saw in the documentary to my brother and he said that women have a higher pain tolerance level than men (giving birth) so they will make better fighter jet pilots to handle the G force.

What is FAC and GLOC?

[Linked Image]
#4507691 - 02/17/20 04:13 PM Re: I didn't know this. Women Top Guns. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
FOTL? I'd like to hear the story behind that nickname...

#4507694 - 02/17/20 04:16 PM Re: I didn't know this. Women Top Guns. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
I mention what I saw in the documentary to my brother and he said that women have a higher pain tolerance level than men (giving birth) so they will make better fighter jet pilots to handle the G force.

What is FAC and GLOC?

FAC=Forward Air Controller - someone, often on the ground, who coordinates strikes from aircraft.

GLOC=G-induced Loss Of Consciousness - having the blood drain out of the brain due to high G forces while maneuvering, causing unconsciousness.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4507698 - 02/17/20 05:07 PM Re: I didn't know this. Women Top Guns. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Just for you NoFlyBoy.

Just avoid the comments. Usual crap,full of misogynists and basement-dwelling neanderthals.

Last edited by Chucky; 02/17/20 05:11 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4507702 - 02/17/20 05:36 PM Re: I didn't know this. Women Top Guns. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Doesn't body weight also make a difference with G-force tolerance?

Anecdotal, but the initial launch on Disney's Rock 'n' Roller Coaster is 5G...
https://rollercoaster.fandom.com/wiki/Highest_G-Force_on_a_Roller_Coaster

Candid front seat expressions of discomfort vs. enjoyment, comparing 5'-9" ~250 lb (175 cm ~113 kg) male vs. 5'-4.5" ~110 lb (164 cm 50 kg) female...

[Linked Image]

That ride really bothered me until I lost weight, and then it felt better.

Attached Files DSCF3587.JPG

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4507708 - 02/17/20 09:41 PM Re: I didn't know this. Women Top Guns. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

I didn't know all that stuff. Thank you all.

[Linked Image]
#4507716 - 02/18/20 12:11 AM Re: I didn't know this. Women Top Guns. [Re: Arthonon]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Originally Posted by Arthonon
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
What is FAC and GLOC?

FAC=Forward Air Controller - someone, often on the ground, who coordinates strikes from aircraft.
GLOC=G-induced Loss Of Consciousness - having the blood drain out of the brain due to high G forces while maneuvering, causing unconsciousness.

Thanx, Arthonon. And my apologies, NoFlyBoy. Sometimes I forget that not everyone here may be familiar with certain terms.

FACs can work from the ground (and I was one of the enlisted guys who carried the HEAVY stuff when they did for three and a half years) as well as from aircraft. The squadron I was assigned to flew the O-2 and the OV-10 Bronco (which is my FAVORITE aircraft in FSX, by the way). We had one guy who came straight out of flight school, but they were supposed to have had previous experience in fighter/strike aircraft, the idea being that they would be familiar with the jargon, facilitating communication.

Originally Posted by MarkG
Doesn't body weight also make a difference with G-force tolerance?

I went trough physiological training several times, Mark, but I don't recall any correlation. One of the techniques to combat the effects of G forces is to tighten your abdominal and upper body muscles as hard as you can. They describe it as mimicking trying to force out a stubborn...uhhh...well, let's just say it's like struggling on the toilet. You'll also see fighter pilots spending more time pumping iron than working on cardio for the same reason. So more like physical condition than simply body weight. Of course it's been more than thirty years, so some things may have changed.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4507728 - 02/18/20 01:27 AM Re: I didn't know this. Women Top Guns. [Re: vonBaur]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Originally Posted by vonBaur

And my apologies, NoFlyBoy. Sometimes I forget that not everyone here may be familiar with certain terms..

Thank you BUT I am the one that need to brush up on aviation terminology.

Originally Posted by vonBaur

The squadron I was assigned to flew the O-2 and the OV-10 Bronco (which is my FAVORITE aircraft in FSX, by the way).

These Broncos? They are pretty neat!

[Linked Image]
#4507735 - 02/18/20 02:47 AM Re: I didn't know this. Women Top Guns. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Continue watching episode 1. That Lady Naval Aviator is a LCDR

Later in the episode it shows her briefing F-18 pilots before a combat mission. So why in the 2nd screenshot I posted, she is in the back as weapon officer instead of being the pilot?

[Linked Image]
#4507749 - 02/18/20 04:58 AM Re: I didn't know this. Women Top Guns. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

If she's flying as RIO then that's what she is. Two entirely different jobs. Like the pilot of a dive bomber and his tail gunner. They're both in the same plane, but vastly different skillsets.

I had the opportunity to do ride-alongs in both planes, NoFlyBoy. The O-2 is a converted Cessna Skymaster with everything but the front two seats pulled out and the area stuffed with radios. Imagine being pulled from an F-4 (THE front-line USAF fighter at the time) and stuck into one of those. The pilots used to say that the airframe said, "I can fly", and the engines replied, "Wanna bet?".

The OV-10, on the other hand, had power to spare AND a stick instead of a yoke. My first ride was with Lt. Frank Arnone. It was a rocket run at a target range. I'd done a few in the O-2s and brought my movie camera along this time. Lt. Arnone flew his base leg PAST the target and I was just about to stop filming when he yanked that baby up and turned at the same time. He made his rocket run inverted and only rolled out at literally the last second, fired his rockets, and pulled up. He said he got direct hits. I had no clue. I was too busy filming my knees, thanx to the G forces.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4507750 - 02/18/20 05:26 AM Re: I didn't know this. Women Top Guns. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

I just assume she is a LCDR which is higher than a LT so she will be flying and not in the back.

She on a 2 F-18 flight mission over Iraq. Attacking a ISIS cement factory. Dropping bombs from 50,000 feet. It only takes 30 seconds for the bomb to hit the target after it leaves the plane.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

The aircraft handler on the USS George H W Bush still using the old widget board going back to World War 2

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

They prefer the old ways over the new tech.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

In the first episode they also mention how the carrier flight deck is the most dangerous place in the world to be and they mentioned several noteworthy accidents.

I didn't know about these. This was a pilot still in student training attempting to land on the USS Lexington.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...le/ea3a1779-6841-46b8-8d32-274370cee93e/

Or the sailor who was sucked into a Hawkeye jet intake. He survived with minor injuried.

This clip is actually from the episode I just watched of the series I got from Amazon.

The 1967 USS Forrestal fire. John McCain was one of the pilot in a Skyhawk on the deck waiting to take off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_USS_Forrestal_fire

The 1966 USS Oriskany fire which was caused by a flare that ignited and the person who held it threw it into locker storage full of other flares instead of throwing it into the sea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Oriskany_fire

MUTE the sound cos it's just noise

USS Enterprise 1969 fire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_fire

2015 USS Eisenhower arresting cable snapping broke accident which injured 8 sailors:

https://www.cnn.com/2016/03/18/politics/several-sailors-injured-on-uss-eisenhower/index.html

Respect for those who served on these Super Carriers, those who sacrificed their young lives while serving on these Super Carriers, those who are still serving on these Super Carriers.

Every day on the carrier is courting life and death for all the 5000-6000 crew members.

The part that got me is the ordnance crew. Many not older than 20 and they are working 14 hours day assembling 500 lbs to 2000 lbs bombs and missiles for the day's strike mission.

Each bomb or missile is composed of several parts that must be assembled before it's installed on an aircraft.

It takes a team of 10 ordnance member to build one JDAM bomb.

It show a crew member manually inserting a fuse into a JDAM bomb.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

They can built 20 JDAM bombs in a couple of hours.

That is the most dangerous job on the carrier outside of the flight deck crew.

What was that U.S. Navy commercial? Join the Navy, see the world and have an adventure?

No one told these sailors about the flight deck or the ordnance crew.

Then there are crews on an aircraft carrier who are always below deck and don't see sunlight and natural light for or weeks or months.

[Linked Image]
#4507757 - 02/18/20 08:46 AM Re: I didn't know this. Women Top Guns. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
The rank of the aircrew has no real relationship to which seat they are in and who is actually in command of the aircraft.

Rank still matters though!

I had two US Navy pilots stay with me, a commander and a Lieutenant Commander, the commander was a bit put out because the LCDR was in charge of the flight and giving the CDR a check ride, the reason they stayed with me is because the aircraft's port engine had failed on start up when they had to leave Wick, the replacement part had to be flown in from Spain and it was another night they had to stay.

The commander had invited me to come to the US and learn to fly, sometimes I wish I had taken him up on his offer but back then I never even had a passport and my wife had a baby on the way.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4507763 - 02/18/20 10:30 AM Re: I didn't know this. Women Top Guns. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Was it not discovered by Soviet Russia in WW2 that their women pilots could withstand higher G than their male comrades.
Best British pilot to take high G and remain conscious was Douglas Bader:
"No legs old boy...nowhere for the blood to drain to!"

#4507766 - 02/18/20 11:22 AM Re: I didn't know this. Women Top Guns. [Re: Chucky]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Chucky

Just avoid the comments. Usual crap,full of misogynists and basement-dwelling neanderthals.

So in other words ignorant and totally baseless comments? That's about 90% of the comments on Youtube!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4507767 - 02/18/20 11:25 AM Re: I didn't know this. Women Top Guns. [Re: BD-123]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by BD-123
Was it not discovered by Soviet Russia in WW2 that their women pilots could withstand higher G than their male comrades.
Best British pilot to take high G and remain conscious was Douglas Bader:
"No legs old boy...nowhere for the blood to drain to!"

Speaking of Douglas Bader, have you ever seen this? His encounter with Galland gets me every time. You can just jump to 27:55 to see what i'm talking about. smile

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 02/18/20 11:27 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4507773 - 02/18/20 12:36 PM Re: I didn't know this. Women Top Guns. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE
vonBaur, you mean the Aerosoft Bronco for FSX? I loved flying that thing, although I felt stupid doing VFR with it biggrin

Ask Svetlana about women pilots...

Red

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB, 447GB SSD´s, Samsung G6 32" , Logitech G13, G502, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Simagic Alpha Mini, and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit, TrackIR 5.0.
AUDIO: Aiyima A07 Max, Topping E50 and L50 stack, Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 , and Shennheiser HD 560s. DAP: Hiby R3, Hiby Seeds, and iBasso IT01, Sharp MD-MT 80H Minidisc.
#4507782 - 02/18/20 02:18 PM Re: I didn't know this. Women Top Guns. [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Originally Posted by Red2112
vonBaur, you mean the Aerosoft Bronco for FSX? I loved flying that thing, although I felt stupid doing VFR with it biggrin

Could be, Red. It's been five or six years since I downloaded it and all the zip file says is the aircraft type. Why did you feel stupid doing VFR? It was designed as an observation aircraft, so visibility both forward and down is excellent. And I know the navaids work because it's the first plane I flew a long distance, multi-leg TACAN flight in. I simulated flying from where I live, near Springfield MO, to Killeen TX because my son was stationed at Ft. Hood at the time. The only thing I regret about that flight was that I didn't have MegaSceneryEarth at the time and had to fly it over the stock FSX ground tiles.

SALUTE TO ALL!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.