Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 135 of 366 1 2 133 134 135 136 137 365 366
#4507612 - 02/16/20 07:32 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
SebToombs Offline
SebToombs  Offline

UK
MFair - What a great few days! Brilliant news about your confirmed victories. I agree about young Toombs ... He keeps flying off on his own. He will have to learn one way or another!

carrick58 - Nigel Farnsworth Philby has all the luck!

Fullofit - I hope Toby is settling in well, that the mess is up to scratch and the bar is well stocked! ... Just saw your latest post, three claims and some great shooting sir! Though I'm with Harry- Leave our Halbs alone ... please!

War Diaries Of Sebastian von Toombs
[Linked Image]
"..I was riddled with holes and flew home to Halluin. Exhausted, shaken and with a deep gash in my cheek."

Feldwebel Sebastian von Toombs
Jasta 18
Halluim /Rekkem
10 Confirmed Kills
5 Claims Pending

Tuesday 16th February 1917

Two jobs today, but the enemy is making very bold approaches on our airfields so on both occasions we didn’t get very far. Of the two DH2’s from yesterday only one has been confirmed. Taking my tally to 10! I am now the squadron’s top ace. And better still the Jasta hasn't lost anyone in over a week!

09:30 hrs. The first job today was airfield defence to the south. In Kette Zwei was Walter von Bulow-Bothkamp, myself and a new chap to the Jasta, Helmut Durrbeck. Durrbeck is an experienced pilot with many hours but new to front line flying and new to Albatros. We took off from Halluin. As usual I was cutting the corner so as to avoid enemy ground fire on take off and I saw Durrbeck fly sharply right! That wasn’t right, Walter continued on course - I was confused. I scanned the air and saw nothing except the three Albatross of Kette Eins taking off behind me. Walter was flying on our normal route. I guessed that Durrbeck has copped some ground fire and was returning to home (we’d been airborne all of 30 seconds). I flew towards Walter only to be absolutely shocked to my core to see a British Strutter pull up next me no more than 10 meters from my right. We looked eye to eye, the Tommy pilot and me. Slowly his observer/gunner swung the rear Lewis towards me. I dove for the muddy earth little caring I was a mere 200 feet from it. Somehow I was able to quickly get behind him, and began shooting at very close range. My goal with two seaters is always to stay below them, shooting from the safety of the gunners blind spot, it takes time but is the safest way.
[Linked Image]
"..I dove for the muddy earth little caring I was a mere 200 meters from it. Somehow I was able to quickly get behind him, and began shooting at very close range."

Kette Eins were oblivious to the battle taking place below them and they flew happily on their way scanning the airspace above them- while I engaged in a personal life and death struggle beneath them. Even from my position beneath a Strutter it is always possible for them to shoot me, and it happened a number of times. Bullets crashing into the cockpit and wings. I was grazed by one bullet on the cheek and although harmless I bled profusely, blood splatter on my goggles- honestly I felt nothing. Just the sheer anger at the insolence of the Strutter attacking before we were even 300meters in the air. These British have no chivalry, no honour. My Prussian blood was up!

The Strutter made for home and I pursued, letting off about 150 rounds into him. Quickly I had silenced the rear gunner and he did not fire again. He flew in a straight line home and after one particularly accurate bust of machine gun fire from me he wobbled in the air. Another blast from my Spandau machine guns at about 60 meters and he began to roll left followed by a vertical dive. We were at about 150 meters so it was a short drop to the churned up, pocked mud of the from line. He crashed, acrid black smoke pluming sky ward. The crash site is about 600 meters North of the destroyed factory Southwest of Halluin. 2 km from our units on the frontline. 700m South of the river Lys. He had a distinctive red and white tail plane and a bold red strip painted vertically on his fuselage.

With my albatros supporting a number of holes and my cheek bleeding from the bullet graze I made my way home climbing to avoid ground fire. Flashing past me just below my hight came a second Strutter making his way home. He let off some rounds as we passed each other. I banked the albatros hard and gave chase. I was hit a number of times from below and the Strutter as I dived to come under him. But I was not going to give up. We flew west past the burning black smoke of his comrade across the river Lys. I hit him at range and he banked left. His gunner was on the ball and a number of times I was hit. No bullets doing me or my plane any harm though my cheek was continued to bleed.

I continued my pursuit for about 10 minutes and into British airspace. He kept banking and attempting to give his gunner as many opportunities as possible to persuade me to give up the chase. I was not to be deterred. At one time I saw two further Strutters flying about 1000 meters above us, thankfully they did not join the fray. Eventually close to the Observation ballon east of Armentiers I managed at last to do him some serious damage and smoke started pouring from his machine. He kept banking and his gunner kept firing, he brought his machine round and flew at me. I kept firing, my concern now was how little ammunition I would have left. Then about 500 m northeast of the balloon I at last saw fruit from my labours, a small fire broke out beneath his engine flames started to lick his fuselage, with in a few short moments he had crashed in a ball of flame and smoke into a field 1000 meters north of the Armentiers Observation Balloon. Approximately 10km from Halluin on almost on exactly on the French/Belgium boarder of my map.
[Linked Image]
"...I at last saw fruit from my labours, a small fire broke out beneath his engine flames started to lick his fuselage, with in a few short moments he had crashed in a ball of flame."

I was riddled with holes and flew home to Halluin. Exhausted, shaken and with a deep gash in my cheek. The doctor said I was fine and would be ok tomorrow, Paul Strahle says it will be a fine duelling scar! I put in two claims both for RFC strutters.
[Linked Image]
"...When Hans inspected my Albatros he found over 60 bullet holes and we both agreed I'd been very lucky"

As it was I was called out again at 15:47. We were back up again for a patrol of enemy lines. One Kette, five pilots, all the top squadron aces, myself, Walter, Paul, the Kommandant (Heino Giffenhagan) and Ernst Wiessner. I’ve never felt so secure so invincible! However, once again we were barely airborne before we were swooped upon, this time by, it seemed like a squadron of DH2s. The sun was very low and there were some huge clouds. Where the Tommies had came from I have no idea. One moment I was enjoying the dramatic, beautifully painted sky, the next I was in a tumble of machine gun fire. One flew right in front of me. He banked sharply and climbed, I was able to hit him a number of times. He broke for his lines, I pursued, he was going very slowly - I throttled back and gave him a number of rounds at very close range scoring some very good hits. His left upper wing crumbled and he crashed out of control into no mans land, 1000 meters south of our airfield.
[Linked Image]
I flew east to see Paul Strahle in a banking climb with a DH2 on his tail shooting at him. I flew at them, the DH2 spotted me and flew towards me. I turn away from him and then towards him, strafing him in the fuselages he flew past. He dropped and I pursued him. He entered a steep left-hand turn and as I drew near I fired repeatedly. I lost sight of him for a moment or two as I scanned the sky for situational awareness, then out of nowhere suddenly he appeared again flying right in front of my sights, I let the Spandaus have their way and pelted the DH2 with lead. He span out of control straight into the trenches 600meters west of Halluin church. I could see a couple of the Kette over our airfield preparing to land but before I felt I could leave the scene I wanted to check for anymore British aircraft knowing how crafty they are.

The skies looked fairly clear, and I was preparing to return home myself when in my peripheral vision I saw a flash. I swung the plane around southwest and scanned the skies. There were definite bursts of flak so I flew towards trouble. I remembered something my father once said, “You can tell a hero from a coward when you see which way they run.” The flak directed me to a third DH2 flying towards the airfield and I engaged. He was flying low, at about 50 meters. He was making for his infantry’s trenches hoping their ground fire would put me off. I took my chances, knowing I wouldn’t have long. I opened fire - he banked left and I followed firing into him all the time. After a prolonged ten second burst his right upper wing disintegrated. He span to his death below me just as the British infantry began their revenge. I flew home fast and safely landing with the rest of the Jasta with our bullet ridden machines.
[Linked Image]
"...I flew home fast and safely landing with the rest of the Jasta with our bullet ridden machines."

I’ve just put in three more claims tonight. I’m off for an early night!
To be continued...

#4507613 - 02/16/20 07:39 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Seb, nice videos, although you are supposed to use the videos so you don't have to write so much!

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4507615 - 02/16/20 07:44 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Carrick, shame on you Sir! You should be getting back to your squad pronto.

Fullofit, nice flying Bud. And the claims keep coming.

Seb, you will catch Toby in no time at the rate you are going.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4507620 - 02/16/20 09:59 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Nigel Farnsworth Philby
Sgt, Rec
1 Sqn RFC

Feb 17, 1917.

Philby call home. Finally found a phone, the sqn is sending a truck to take me back to the Aerodrome. The Adj. said that the boys had already spilt up my things so I would have to collect them back. I say, thy cant wait till I am in the casket.

#4507630 - 02/17/20 12:11 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
SebToombs Offline
SebToombs  Offline

UK
carrick58 - Hah! that's very funny - it seems reports of Nigel Farnsworth Philby's death have been greatly exaggerated!

War Diaries Of Sebastian von Toombs

[Linked Image]
"..Jasta 18, Kette Zwei skimming the clouds near Passchendale."

Feldwebel Sebastian von Toombs
Jasta 18
Halluim /Rekkem
12 Confirmed Kills
3 Claims Pending

Wednesday 17th February 1917

Of the five claims I made yesterday all three of the DH2s have been rejected, shame as all three were within a few kilometers of our home base. However, both Strutter claims have been verified and so my score is now 12!

Another cold morning but things are certainly hotting up in the sky. Two Kettes took off today each with five planes. We were on a patrol of friendly lines to the airfield at Wynhene. Between the front lines and the airfield we encounter two flights of Tripes. Both of our Kettes engaged both of their flights. It was a mess of confusion. I locked onto one Tripe with the name ‘Veda’. I got some good hits but he made for his lines and was flying faster so I returned to the battle above Wynhene.
[Linked Image]
"..The one that got away!"

As I approached the airfield I saw that it was being bombed by B.E.2s, I climbed to engage. Once the B.E.2s spotted me he retreated for home. I pursued, staying beneath him. I fired about 250 rounds into the aircraft. It was a long pursuit and at one stage both guns jammed, but I brought him down out of control 2.4 miles north of the Observation Balloon near the town of Diksmuide. He had the number 7632 on the tail fin and a white line along the fuselage.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
I returned again to Wynhene airfield and spotted two further Tripes loitering above the airfield. The first didn’t see me and I fired a burst of about 30 rounds into his cockpit at very short range, it span out of control landing on the eastern edge of the airfield at Wynhene. The second Tripe, started to dogfight, after a few rounds exchanged by us both he flew west. I pursued and caught him. I fired about 100 rounds into the Triplane. He caught fire and crashed about 6 km directly west of the airfield at Wynhene. He had the name Doris written in white paint on the fuselage. And the number N5464.
[Linked Image]
I’ve put in three claims again today. These are very busy days!
[Linked Image]
To Be continued ...

Last edited by SebToombs; 02/17/20 12:20 AM.
#4507638 - 02/17/20 02:18 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Seb, I think the Huns are gonna win the war this time around!

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4507688 - 02/17/20 03:39 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Seb, congrats on becoming die Kanone. MFair is right, at the rate you are going you will catch Toby soon. Either that or you’ll run out of Tommies to shoot down.
Great pics and vid. The enemy keeps you busy close to home. You don’t even have to look for them.

17 February, 1917 08:00
Furnes, Flanders Sector
RNAS-8
SC Tobias Chester Mulberry VC, DSC&Bar, DSO&Bar
59 confirmed kills

Two Halberstadts from yesterday were now confirmed. Toby was sure those were the ones that were chasing Compston, who had the front row seat and was able to corroborate Toby’s claims.
Today they were sent on another friendly front line patrol mission. This time stretching from Diksmuide south to De Blankaart Lake. Everything was going smoothly until they spotted a Schwarm of Halberstadts. Mulberry was tracking their movements south along the frontlines. First he matched their altitude, then climbed higher. His flight was spread in a string behind him trying to catch up. When the Huns noticed him, one of them turned back to face him, then another and then another. As the first Boche came into range, Toby opened fire then continued on towards the next one, fired on that one and then went for the next in line. He wouldn’t bring them down, but at least he would put some holes in their kites along with the fear of God. He then watched as everything melded together, Tripes and Halbs. Like a beehive with little insects fleeting in all directions. He picked his target and began following him. The Hun tried everything in the book to lose him, but Toby kept up with him and fired at every opportunity. They were getting lower and Toby lost track. He was too focused on keeping up with the enemy to notice that they were now overflying enemy positions and the rounds slapping his plane reminded him of where he was. There was no turning back now. He had to power through, otherwise he’d fly right back into the range of the same guns. His Hun’s plane caught on fire in the meantime crashing to the ground soon after. Toby made a large semicircle and pointed his plane west. He was now high enough to avoid additional ground fire, but the damage was done. He looked at all the holes in his wings and was positive his mechanics will not like it one bit. After landing he made a single claim and wondered if the mess was finally stocked with brandy.

YouTube Link

#4507742 - 02/18/20 03:46 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Good show all.

#4507743 - 02/18/20 03:56 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Nigel Farnsworth Philby
Sgt, Rec
1 Sqn RFC

1 un confirmed

Feb 18, 1917.

Arrived back just in time to sortie on Patrol. Good little mix up . Our 8 chaps against 3 Halb Scouts + 2 New type of Recon types. I emptied 3 drums at the big fast 2 seats the circled back to help out the flight,but the fight was over 1 e/a for 1 of ours. On the ,down side the new pilot had my flight boots on and it was a flamer. The Met officer said Spotty weather so maybe i can slip into town for a pair.

Attached Files CFS3 2020-02-17 19-30-37-04.jpgCFS3 2020-02-17 19-30-57-70.jpg
#4507758 - 02/18/20 09:23 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
SebToombs Offline
SebToombs  Offline

UK
Fullofit- Great video and report - I love getting inside the heads of our pilots and hearing their thoughts. Thank you too for the encouragement- I’m loving von Toombs run, he seems to have a life of his own!
Carrick58- Sorry about the boots old man! Didn’t bring the other feller much luck!

Sebastian von Toombs
Jasta 18
Halluim /Rekkem
14 Confirmed Kills
No Claims Pending

Of the three claims I made yesterday I have been awarded two. The B.E.2 c and the Sopwith Triplane ‘DORIS’. The third could not be confirmed. It is believed that the Tripe 'DORIS' was flown by one Edward Crundall.

We’ve been grounded due to the weather for a few days. Which will give us time to paint our new Albatros DIIIs which have arrived this morning. I shall miss my DII, she was a faithful bird, and together we scored 12 victories.

To be continued...

Last edited by SebToombs; 02/18/20 12:15 PM.
#4507846 - 02/18/20 10:25 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Seb, congrats on the last two claims. Von Toombs is definitely milking it. Let him while he can! Also, while painting your new shiny D.III make sure your hammer doesn’t look like Strähle’s axe. winkngrin I wouldn’t want to mix the two of you up.

Carrick, maybe you can still make sandals out of the old boots?

18 February, 1917
Furnes, Flanders Sector
RNAS-8
SC Tobias Chester Mulberry VC, DSC&Bar, DSO&Bar
60 confirmed kills

Yesterday’s Halberstadt has been confirmed and what’s more important there is brandy in the mess!
Bad weather on this side of the mud as well. Looks like an extended grounded period. That brandy will sure help pass the time.
BTW, Crundall is fine. Saw him this morning.

#4507918 - 02/19/20 06:51 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Leutnant Lazlo Halász,
Jasta1, Proville, Flanders
February 17th 1917

It had come as a shock when Lazlo's closest friend had announced his departure to take over leadership of the new Jasta 27. Von Keudell had given Lazlo a warm handshake and wished him every success, then he had waved cheerily as he left the air field in the staff car. Now he was dead. Snow blanketed the world outside as Lazlo sat nursing his glass of cognac, feeling bitter about his demotion, about the whole twisted state of the world in general and the cost of this terrible war. He wished for simpler times, for the Mediterranean climate and the simplicity of life in his little Croatian fishing village. What's more, he hadn't been able to visit his sweetheart nurse in over a week. A rowdy bunch of enemy triplanes had moved into the area and were keeping the Jasta busy. Lazlo was struggling to survive against them in his antiquated Halberstadt.

As he turned all these things over in his mind, with the light gradually fading outside, he heard the sound of machines approaching. At first he thought it might be those nasty triple winged devils coming to poke fun at them, but he soon recognized the sounds to be those of Albatros engines. His hopes lifted slightly. Raised voices of excitement could be heard all around the field......

To be continued...

Fullofit, good news about Crundall I suppose. Funny how resilient those aces can be. Steady on with the brandy!

Seb, loving your Von Toombs reports, excellent! He's tearing it up!

Carrick, sorry about the boots frown

MFair, Ganz is going great guns! Stay safe!

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4507945 - 02/20/20 12:29 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Nigel Farnsworth Philby
Sgt, Rec
1 Sqn RFC

1 un confirmed

Feb 20, 1917.

Scattered Rain showers. However we did get assigned a French Anti Aero Unit. The Major had them dig in on the low hills towards the South end.

Attached Files b451b2868449d8b7a7252b570f7db76efrench.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 02/20/20 01:38 AM.
#4507948 - 02/20/20 01:30 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Harry, are you telling me no more Halberstadt pain for Lazlo? They will probably send them all in bulk to that marine Jasta up north at Ghistelles. Cheer up, spring’s on the way.

#4507950 - 02/20/20 01:40 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

and so is APRIL

#4507951 - 02/20/20 02:03 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
So it is Carrick. All the Huns are waiting for it, keeping their scoreboards in readiness.

#4507983 - 02/20/20 01:32 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
SebToombs Offline
SebToombs  Offline

UK
April is coming ...

[Linked Image]

#4508023 - 02/20/20 09:55 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Seb, you keep your copy in bed too?!

[Linked Image]

Attached Files BA.jpg

#4508024 - 02/20/20 10:18 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
SebToombs Offline
SebToombs  Offline

UK
Fullofit. Haha! That’s so funny. I’ve just shown the posts to my wife and she has laughed her socks off that there are other people out there the same! Brilliant!

#4508026 - 02/20/20 10:24 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Nigel Farnsworth Philby
Sgt, Rec
1 Sqn RFC

Feb 21, 1917.

Rain clouds drifting over the front. No flights. I got a letter and a pic from Bunny , my old class mate, Hes in a 2 Seat Sqn, He said that their gun mount is not cricket. He thinks the Field of Vision is too restricted, His C.O. said not to worry the Boff o's knows best.

Attached Files a022852restricted view.jpg
Page 135 of 366 1 2 133 134 135 136 137 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse