Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4507537 - 02/15/20 09:05 PM EPIC Games = epic PITA  
Dunolde Offline
Dunolde  Offline

I am having an awful time with the Epic Games site. I sign in, and am told my sign in credentials are "invalid".

I set a new password, again try to login, same BS, invalid credentials. Again and again and again...

Anyone else have problems with Epic Games?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4507539 - 02/15/20 09:10 PM Re: EPIC Games = epic PITA [Re: Dunolde]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Didn't someone else on here have a similar problem a while back? A hacked account was it?

I closed my account after someone posted up the Epic EULA,which of course I never read when I signed up. Am I being paranoid? Maybe.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4507540 - 02/15/20 09:23 PM Re: EPIC Games = epic PITA [Re: Dunolde]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
My account got hacked. I still had access to my free games but when I signed in one day someone or something had changed my user account name to something offensive which was not what I named it. It didn't leave me feeling confident whatsoever to have anything more to do with Epic. I'm thankful I never made a purchase from them. Others seem to have an okay experience but I also don't like Epic's tactics or the company's formation. Surprisingly the customer service contact was pretty reliable in my case with regards to having the account deleted. I don't know however how good it would actually have been had I tried to salvage the account. More than likely that would have been a headache too as the customer service person gave me a list of crap to do and find for them that I wasn't able to do, such as listing at least one transaction number with them for their reference which like I said, I never made a purchase through them. So I have a feeling it still would have ended up being a frustrating, circular, non-resolving game.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4507541 - 02/15/20 09:51 PM Re: EPIC Games = epic PITA [Re: Dunolde]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Lemme guess, Coot. They added "er" to the end of your name. =)

Sorry, just trying to inject humor into what otherwise must have been awful. That stinks you were hacked.

#4507563 - 02/16/20 01:01 AM Re: EPIC Games = epic PITA [Re: Dunolde]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I only got an Epic account in the fall, when RDR 2 came out. Since then I bought Metro Exodus and Borderlands 3. I just logged in and all seems OK, but maybe it's just a matter of time. That sucks that what happened to Coot and maybe Dunolde could happen with a service like this. In all cases they have the responsibility to keep your account secure, but it seems even worse when they have exclusive rights to titles and you cannot opt for another one. I didn't want to get an Epic account but I really wanted to play RDR 2, though I didn't realize until now that these issues existed. I should have waited for Exodus on Steam, which was yesterday, but I didn't realize that either.

Did you contact their support Dunolde?

About the EULA, I read it and the thing that jumped out at me is they own all user content, so I guess if you stream,or write a review they claim to own it. That doesn't affect me so personally not concerned, though obviously if that's your bag you would feel aggrieved. Is there something else nefarious that I missed?

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4507577 - 02/16/20 11:05 AM Re: EPIC Games = epic PITA [Re: Dunolde]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Maybe not DBond. There was a thread about it on Steam where someone went through the EULA and pointed out what you had noted. For some it was too much. I thought 'screw that'. I only had an account to get the free games anyway. I have since deleted the account.

On a point of interest,how many of us here read the EULA? And if we did and something didn't sit right with us,would we not agree to it and end the installation? Therefore giving up playing the AAA game you waited 5 years to come out of development?

I sometimes get paranoid about security,especially after that 'password hacked' e-mail I received last year. These 2 incidents with SimHQ members doesn't make me want to start banging on the door to get back into the Epic games store.

Last edited by Chucky; 02/16/20 11:06 AM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4507585 - 02/16/20 02:07 PM Re: EPIC Games = epic PITA [Re: Dunolde]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Best to be cautious, no worries there.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean someone is not out to get you. Or something like that.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4507587 - 02/16/20 03:12 PM Re: EPIC Games = epic PITA [Re: Dunolde]  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
I registered an account with Epic to play Metro Exodus not too long after it was released, which was February of 2019. Whether it helped or not, I also took advantage of the 2 step security system, which is supposed to send you an email or a phone text with a temporary security check code if they detect suspicious activity. Steam uses essentially the same system.

I haven't bothered with any of the free stuff, but have purchased one additional game last month---a sandbox RPG space sim/game called Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, which I've had a lot of fun with. (think redneck outlaw trucker/biker/pirates in outer space)

Anyway, like DBond, I've had no issues with the platform at all. To me, it's just a streamlined version of Steam minus a lot of stuff I don't care about anyway.

For a developer, Epic offers a choice that may yield the people who actually made the game more income upfront and ultimately also in the long run.

Steam takes 30% right off the top of the retail cost of most games they carry. That 30% is a huge cash cow for Valve along with absolutely none of the risks or costs involved with the actual game development. It's also probably one of the reasons that Valve has mostly stopped developing their own games.

The only reason that Gabe Newell has increased his staff is simply to push all the extra wheelbarrows full of cash to the bank. I looked at Google this morning and it reports Newell's current net worth at 3.5 billion. That kind of wealth was generated by Steam and not game development.

On the other hand, Epic only takes 12% off the top but of course, that comes with the one-year exclusivity agreement. That's an extra 18% of the retail price that goes to the developer's bottom line. For a $40 retail game, the developer gets an extra $7.20 gross per game. That $72,000 per 10k unit sales or $720,000 per 100k in unit sales. I'm sure games like Metro or Red Dead II are hitting those kinds of numbers if not more.

Of course, they lose some sales to those who won't sign up for Epic, but then after a year when their games come to the other platforms, they will get a lot of those customers back. Only time will tell if these developers have made the right financial decision---but if they did, it will only mean more competition for Steam--which should be a good thing for us.

Cheers

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
#4507589 - 02/16/20 03:31 PM Re: EPIC Games = epic PITA [Re: Coot]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
Originally Posted by Coot
My account got hacked. I still had access to my free games but when I signed in one day someone or something had changed my user account name to something offensive which was not what I named it. It didn't leave me feeling confident whatsoever to have anything more to do with Epic. I'm thankful I never made a purchase from them. Others seem to have an okay experience but I also don't like Epic's tactics or the company's formation. Surprisingly the customer service contact was pretty reliable in my case with regards to having the account deleted. I don't know however how good it would actually have been had I tried to salvage the account. More than likely that would have been a headache too as the customer service person gave me a list of crap to do and find for them that I wasn't able to do, such as listing at least one transaction number with them for their reference which like I said, I never made a purchase through them. So I have a feeling it still would have ended up being a frustrating, circular, non-resolving game.

you wouldnt, just go to reddit, you will find many people pissed at epic for having acount hackers and not being able to get it back because they want you to send personal information, that hackers could intercept since they are already on your acount...i`m never buying anything from them, and im not even installing their app on my pc untill they get to a generaly safe position, another company whose app is completely unsecure is EA games, Origins runs on a web browser, and im pretty sure that is flash they have running the app. if you disconect you get browser errors and cant do anything, not even see your library offline. RI DI CU LOUS

the only EA games i cared for i got on GOG just in case, mirror edge,crysis and dragon age origins. if the other crysis and dragon age inquisition ever make to gog il pay them there too. im boycotting EA for 5 years now, havent missed anything,

#4507591 - 02/16/20 03:36 PM Re: EPIC Games = epic PITA [Re: Forward Observer]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
Originally Posted by Forward Observer
I registered an account with Epic to play Metro Exodus not too long after it was released, which was February of 2019. Whether it helped or not, I also took advantage of the 2 step security system, which is supposed to send you an email or a phone text with a temporary security check code if they detect suspicious activity. Steam uses essentially the same system.

I haven't bothered with any of the free stuff, but have purchased one additional game last month---a sandbox RPG space sim/game called Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, which I've had a lot of fun with. (think redneck outlaw trucker/biker/pirates in outer space)

Anyway, like DBond, I've had no issues with the platform at all. To me, it's just a streamlined version of Steam minus a lot of stuff I don't care about anyway.

For a developer, Epic offers a choice that may yield the people who actually made the game more income upfront and ultimately also in the long run.

Steam takes 30% right off the top of the retail cost of most games they carry. That 30% is a huge cash cow for Valve along with absolutely none of the risks or costs involved with the actual game development. It's also probably one of the reasons that Valve has mostly stopped developing their own games.

The only reason that Gabe Newell has increased his staff is simply to push all the extra wheelbarrows full of cash to the bank. I looked at Google this morning and it reports Newell's current net worth at 3.5 billion. That kind of wealth was generated by Steam and not game development.

On the other hand, Epic only takes 12% off the top but of course, that comes with the one-year exclusivity agreement. That's an extra 18% of the retail price that goes to the developer's bottom line. For a $40 retail game, the developer gets an extra $7.20 gross per game. That $72,000 per 10k unit sales or $720,000 per 100k in unit sales. I'm sure games like Metro or Red Dead II are hitting those kinds of numbers if not more.

Of course, they lose some sales to those who won't sign up for Epic, but then after a year when their games come to the other platforms, they will get a lot of those customers back. Only time will tell if these developers have made the right financial decision---but if they did, it will only mean more competition for Steam--which should be a good thing for us.

Cheers

you are mistaken, developers dont get the cut....publishers do. and do they give us that back like epic claimed ? i see publishers with the same price on both, and when epic is cheaper is a measly 10 bucks. So gabe can push those barrels for all i care, they have a bigger infrastructure to maintain, epic doesnt even have a shop cart, or forums.

#4507593 - 02/16/20 03:45 PM Re: EPIC Games = epic PITA [Re: Dunolde]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

epic is a steaming pile of #%&*$# IMO. I enjoy the free games but sofar its nothing that would make me play on epic. I did buy one game on epic (satisfactory) but to be honest I wish I hadnt. The game is fun but its not fun enough to deal with all this epic bs. And dont give epic your cc. use paypal or a throw away temp card. They've been "hacked" a few times now and even with 2 factor authentication they can still hack into your account which means their 2 factor is worthless. And as others have said, there is no real infrastructure. No forums, no reviews, no cart. They have none of the base features that almost every other platform has.

Last edited by Master; 02/16/20 03:46 PM.
#4507606 - 02/16/20 06:40 PM Re: EPIC Games = epic PITA [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Forward Observer Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Originally Posted by Blade_RJ

Cheers

you are mistaken, developers dont get the cut....publishers do. and do they give us that back like epic claimed ? i see publishers with the same price on both, and when epic is cheaper is a measly 10 bucks. So gabe can push those barrels for all i care, they have a bigger infrastructure to maintain, epic doesnt even have a shop cart, or forums.

That was my mistake for not using the more descriptive term publisher and/or developer. Out of the 3 games I mentioned, two are both published and developed by the same corporate entity. Rockstar games for Red Dead and Double Damage games for Rebel Galaxy are both the developer and the publisher. Most of the small indies are that way also. Actually Double Damage would be considered a small indie since they only have 5 permanent people. This has become so common in the gaming industry these days that I tend to think of them as one and the same much of the time. However, Metro Exodus is the one exception to the games I listed as it does have a separate developer and publisher. I should have simply used the term publisher for them.

Otherwise, everything else I wrote is correct and the percentages quoted were garnered from gaming articles I've read online. You seem to be missing the main point of what I trying to convey and instead only focus on the fact that I used the term developer instead of a publisher or as in many cases a combo of the two. The point I was trying to make was that Epic charges whoever is providing the game much less than Steam. As part of that, Epic gets a one-year exclusivity deal. Also a part of that reduced cost, the Epic platform tends to be more streamlined than Steam, so it doesn't have stuff like forums, achievements, mod workshops, etc.

Sure, what Steam is providing requires more resources and personnel, but I seriously question whether it justifies a commission that represents 250% of what Epic charges. (30% versus 12%) Evidently, the publishers going with the Epic feel that they will do better financially in the long run. Time will tell.

As to Epic's competence at running a platform, remember they only started up at the end of 2018, so they have only been at this a little over a year. Steam had its issues for quite a few years
when they started up. Maybe I've just been lucky so far--knock on wood.

Cheers

P.S. The thing about hiring people to push extra wheelbarrows full of cash to the bank was my sorry attempt at satire.

Last edited by Forward Observer; 02/16/20 09:00 PM. Reason: clarify and add post script

#4507640 - 02/17/20 02:52 AM Re: EPIC Games = epic PITA [Re: Forward Observer]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil

Cheers

That was my mistake for not using the more descriptive term publisher and/or developer. Out of the 3 games I mentioned, two are both published and developed by the same corporate entity. Rockstar games for Red Dead and Double Damage games for Rebel Galaxy are both the developer and the publisher. Most of the small indies are that way also. Actually Double Damage would be considered a small indie since they only have 5 permanent people. This has become so common in the gaming industry these days that I tend to think of them as one and the same much of the time. However, Metro Exodus is the one exception to the games I listed as it does have a separate developer and publisher. I should have simply used the term publisher for them.

Otherwise, everything else I wrote is correct and the percentages quoted were garnered from gaming articles I've read online. You seem to be missing the main point of what I trying to convey and instead only focus on the fact that I used the term developer instead of a publisher or as in many cases a combo of the two. The point I was trying to make was that Epic charges whoever is providing the game much less than Steam. As part of that, Epic gets a one-year exclusivity deal. Also a part of that reduced cost, the Epic platform tends to be more streamlined than Steam, so it doesn't have stuff like forums, achievements, mod workshops, etc.

Sure, what Steam is providing requires more resources and personnel, but I seriously question whether it justifies a commission that represents 250% of what Epic charges. (30% versus 12%) Evidently, the publishers going with the Epic feel that they will do better financially in the long run. Time will tell.

As to Epic's competence at running a platform, remember they only started up at the end of 2018, so they have only been at this a little over a year. Steam had its issues for quite a few years

Cheers

P.S. The thing about hiring people to push extra wheelbarrows full of cash to the bank was my sorry attempt at satire.

a little correction for you, but rockstar are developrs, take two is their publisher, they also own borderlands. As for lack of feature common man/or lady, even uplay and EA origins had trouble but had the basic features, at least EA had forums before they decided they didnt want to deal with backlash on their products and shut them down.......if you come later the least you can do is take notes from others mistakes and start from there.

#4507643 - 02/17/20 05:05 AM Re: EPIC Games = epic PITA [Re: Dunolde]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Kingdom Come is free to pick up on Epic for the next 72 hours

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4507644 - 02/17/20 07:35 AM Re: EPIC Games = epic PITA [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Forward Observer Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A

Cheers

Cheers

a little correction for you, but rockstar are developers, take two is their publisher, they also own borderlands. As for lack of feature common man/or lady, even uplay and EA origins had trouble but had the basic features, at least EA had forums before they decided they didnt want to deal with backlash on their products and shut them down.......if you come later the least you can do is take notes from others mistakes and start from there.

I don't know where you got your info about Rockstar, but it is wrong. So let me re-correct you.

Wikipedia lists Rockstar games first as a "games publisher" based out of New York which also owns multiple studios around the world. All of these locations have integral development studios so they both develop and publish their own games. This is pretty much exactly the way I described them as both a publisher and developer. However, at the time, I was unaware of their connection to Take-Two interactive.

It turns out that Rockstar Games is a subsidiary of TakeTwo Interactive. Wikipedia describes Take-Two as a games holding company, also based out of New York that started out as a publisher but then also began to acquire developers and other publishers. Still, Take-Two is not Rock Star's publisher--they are their holding company (owner essentially) Once again Rockstar presently both develops and publishes all of their Rockstar brand of games.

Take-Two interactive owns at least two different game publishing studios which both publish and develop games. One being Rock Star games and the other being 2K games based out of California. 2K is also described by Wikipedia as a game publisher that also develops its games in-house. Borderlands was developed initially by Gearbox, but published by 2K. I think now
2k has taken over the franchise entirely.

As near as I can tell, Take-two interactive has not personally published a game under the Take-two name since 2006. To repeat, they do not publish games for either Rockstar or 2K, but leave those tasks entirely up to the two subsidiaries.

Links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockstar_Games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2K_(company)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take-Two_Interactive

Lastly, here is a list of Take-two published games. Note that Take-two did publish a Grand Theft auto game back in 1998 when they first acquired the title, but then gave it all to RockStar when that subsidiary was formed as their own integral publisher/developer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Take-Two_Interactive_games

There have been so many mergers, breakups, and acquisitions of the companies associated with game development and publishing over the years that it pretty hard to keep track of who owns who and who does exactly what so it's very confusing and easy to get wrong or partially wrong. I know I have so many times before and probably will again.

Cheers

#4507656 - 02/17/20 12:09 PM Re: EPIC Games = epic PITA [Re: Dunolde]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
The ONLY reason I have EPIC is because of Borderlands 3 and because my friend who I play Coop gaming games with bought it on release. Having said that, I haven't had any issues with EPIC except for that one day when it was impossible to log in because every single Fortnite player was online for some stupid event.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4507943 - 02/20/20 12:15 AM Re: EPIC Games = epic PITA [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
The ONLY reason I have EPIC is because of Borderlands 3 and because my friend who I play Coop gaming games with bought it on release. Having said that, I haven't had any issues with EPIC except for that one day when it was impossible to log in because every single Fortnite player was online for some stupid event.

i remember that, their whole store crashed, lmao.

#4507949 - 02/20/20 01:40 AM Re: EPIC Games = epic PITA [Re: Dunolde]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I only signed up for Mechwarrior 5.
It lacks features, I’d rather support the platform I have a few hundred games on, but...can’t complain about my experience. Also, since Dec, I’ve picked up a lot of free games, most pretty good titles. Tomorrow and the next fewdays they have Assassins Creed Syndicate, a great game, for free. I have it, but it’s impressive to have that for free.
I’m over it, just hope they add features. I like that they use a general authentication code generator whereas Steam requires their own. If you don’t have 2 factor authentication set up when possiblle, and you get hacked, part of the blame is yours.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4507994 - 02/20/20 03:52 PM Re: EPIC Games = epic PITA [Re: Dunolde]  
Wizard43 Offline
Wizard43  Offline

Canada
Is it possible the hacked Epic accounts referred to in this thread could have been related to this report of a fake installer for the Epic game store?

https://blog.trendmicro.com/trendla...launcher-and-drops-compiled-c-code-file/

Wizard

#4508034 - 02/20/20 11:58 PM Re: EPIC Games = epic PITA [Re: Dunolde]  
Clydewinder Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Clydewinder  Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Hotshot

New Berlin, WI United States
It seems like the epic games client is glitchy and slow... even on a fast computer. Not a fan

Robots are stealing my luggage.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.