Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4497155 - 11/14/19 04:44 PM Advice about SSD's  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Had a 1 TB SATA HD go belly up and thinking about going to an SSD drive but got a couple questions
1)they are smaller than a regular drive to fit it into the standard HD cage I think I need an adaptor ??
2) I'm going to run it with an installed SATA drive with my O.S.on it would it be best to just put my OS on the SSD and keep my games on the SATA drive ??
3)When i put it in will it be recognized as the next drive in line my current drive is C:..I don't want to just clone my current drive with the OS and games on it..I'd rather do a clean install of Win 7 and re-install my sims
4) If I only put the OS on it is a smaller 500GB drive enough??

Currently have my OS and sims\War games on the 1 TB drive and have a bit over 500 GB free

Might be simple questions but don't want to take the wrong path any advice is appreciated ,,also recommended drive types..Reading Amazon reviews is useless ..I'll either buy there or New Egg ..Thanks for any help

Russ
Semper Fi
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4497189 - 11/14/19 11:13 PM Re: Advice about SSD's [Re: rwatson]  
The Nephilim Online tunes
S3D GuRu
The Nephilim  Online Tunes
S3D GuRu
Hotshot

3rd Stone from the Sun !!
Originally Posted by rwatson
Had a 1 TB SATA HD go belly up and thinking about going to an SSD drive but got a couple questions
1)they are smaller than a regular drive to fit it into the standard HD cage I think I need an adaptor ??
A. yes regualr drives are 3.5" most SSD are 2.5"

2) I'm going to run it with an installed SATA drive with my O.S.on it would it be best to just put my OS on the SSD and keep my games on the SATA drive ??
B. I would just get a 1TB SSD and put everything on the SSD. is the SATA drive a Platter drive, if so then just use that for storage of files and such

3)When i put it in will it be recognized as the next drive in line my current drive is C:..I don't want to just clone my current drive with the OS and games on it..I'd rather do a clean install of Win 7 and re-install my sims
C. It would be best tto do a Fresh innstall of Win 7 and games all on the SSD. you can clone it unless you want to do a fresh instaall

4) If I only put the OS on it is a smaller 500GB drive enough??
D. yes it is enough but I would just get a 1TB drive if you currently have a TB Platter drive and all your games you still have space left over on it..

Currently have my OS and sims\War games on the 1 TB drive and have a bit over 500 GB free

Might be simple questions but don't want to take the wrong path any advice is appreciated ,,also recommended drive types..Reading Amazon reviews is useless ..I'll either buy there or New Egg ..Thanks for any help.
E. most of the major brands the specs are really pretty similar butr Samsung driver seem to be the fastes of the 2.5" SSD's

Intel i7 10700K @ 4.8GHZ / ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4AC Motherboard / Asus 1080GTX OC / SoundBlaster Z / Windows 10 64bit / Reverb G2 VR Gear. / Thrustmaster Cougar + MFD's / Buttkicker Simulation / Thrustmaster Cougar
#4497193 - 11/14/19 11:40 PM Re: Advice about SSD's [Re: The Nephilim]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Thanks for the reply Nephilim ..Yes I have a WD 1 TB platter drive and with Win 7 I now have 400 GB free with my sims and games..I've got plenty of external back up 3 GB total and all my game install are backed up..Minus the Steam and GOG ones..So I think I'll grab a 1TB drive and put some of the turn based stuff on the old drive..I'd like to clone that drive that's in there now I installed win 7 fresh about 2 weeks ago..I can be rough trying to get all the log ons / passwords back..

Russ
Semper Fi
#4497265 - 11/15/19 02:53 PM Re: Advice about SSD's [Re: rwatson]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Found a good Crucial 1 TB drive and grabbed an adapter to put it in a 3.5 inch bay..My plan is to clone my current drive ,,I just installed Win 7 two weeks ago and then delete my war games and reinstall them to the SATA drive and leave stuff like my 5 IL-2 setups ..FSX ,,and all my flight sims on that,,Along with my total war stuff Shogun 2 takes forever to load same with the Civilization games ,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077SF8KMG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Russ
Semper Fi
#4497276 - 11/15/19 04:25 PM Re: Advice about SSD's [Re: rwatson]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Hold onto that adapter in the box and receipt in case you need to return it. Sometimes they will come with an adapter in the box. Or your case drive mounts might be drilled for it.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4497279 - 11/15/19 05:25 PM Re: Advice about SSD's [Re: rwatson]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Thanks RK always do that because Amazon is good about returns..My friend in Omaha has the same set up and only issue is the screw holes for the drive is accessed through outer holes and hard to get the screw in the hole..But what I do with eye glass screws is rub the head on some duct tape to fill the slot with glue and with the drive cage just flip it on it's side and thread it through the outer hole ,,I always am careful opening the box and hold on to it until I'm sure all is right

Russ
Semper Fi
#4497284 - 11/15/19 06:17 PM Re: Advice about SSD's [Re: rwatson]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I would never put an OS on a SSD due to how writes degrade a SSD over time. Put your games on your SSD and benefit from faster loading times--especially flight sims which like to load mid flight.

I might be lazy or a bad PC builder, but I've never screwed a SSD into my case. They have no moving parts, so I just hook a cable to them and lay them on top of something. Often the cable itself is enough to keep it from jostling around.

#4497293 - 11/15/19 08:16 PM Re: Advice about SSD's [Re: rwatson]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Thanks Blastman Something for me to consider..But my cables aren't long enough to get outside the case I'' ask some friends I could always put it inside and make it a D: drive but thinking on it my games write a lot to the drive also

Russ
Semper Fi
#4497304 - 11/15/19 10:10 PM Re: Advice about SSD's [Re: rwatson]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I've had my OS on an SSD for years, that's the best way to use one IMO. Dramatically speeds up boot time. In fact, I prefer to have the OS on an SSD and put most of my games on a WD Black drive.
The price of that one rwatson posted is looking mighty tempting though, these things have come down in price nicely.

As for securing it, I know many will just use tape or that sticky poster wall clay and not bother with the adapter. I don't want to risk any vibration noise that the case fans might cause, so I make sure it's all tight.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4497306 - 11/15/19 10:23 PM Re: Advice about SSD's [Re: rwatson]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Thanks RK,,I'm leaning to the same path and just a few sims/games that take eternity to load and the plain games on the SATA drive Heck I got room for a SSD and can add another SATA drive as a spare next month..good to have a bit of built in redundancy

Russ
Semper Fi
#4497319 - 11/16/19 12:38 AM Re: Advice about SSD's [Re: rwatson]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

For whatever type of Drive one opts, there is NO exception from doing good diligence in backing up everything. Please read the foregoing again. I'm no expert, but I am aware that there is a hierarchy of Drive mfrs/types, regardless of the type of drive.

One can have the best of both worlds. Install the SSD into the computer and initialize and format it. Install the OS, and anything else immediately desired: the SSD will be your Primary (Boot) Drive, unless you re-configure things. THEN, CLONE the SSD onto a high quality HDD, within the same computer. Transfer stuff from SSD onto the HDD (and vice versa) as desired. In effect, the (auxiliary) HDD is your backup, as it contains both the cloned OpSys, and what you put into it afterwards. I would still suggest another, separate storage device for one's PRIMARY Drive, but that is a belt-and-suspender approach.

I suggest that tom's hardware site has discussed most types of drives, and most likely has a current hierarchy for them, just like they do for video cards and many other components. While experts may differ, I have found tom's hardware a valuable resource in respect to their evaluations of various components. YMMV.

SSDs have come a very long way. As currently offered, the best of them offer reliability levels unsurpassed by all but the most expensive HDDs, and speeds faster than anything but the most extreme HDDs. FWIW, the cost of a given capacity HDD, of extreme quality level, and of extreme speed will be surprisingly high, compared to the usual HDD offerings. The Software included with (or instantly downloadable from either vendor or mfr) with most quality SSDs includes both the automatic and manual means of "trimming" the SSD of problematic elements, and should warn the user of imminent failure.

Again, as with all drives, proper backup is essential. Aside from that universal backup caution, I am no expert on these things; Simply a well-read user. YMMV.

#4507460 - 02/15/20 02:09 AM Re: Advice about SSD's [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
I've had my OS on an SSD for years, that's the best way to use one IMO. Dramatically speeds up boot time.

Ditto.

Boot the box, turn on the monitor, and then stand up, QUICK stretch and BAM!, log in screen.

Have had two Intel SSD's, ZERO problems....

(Nixer knocks on wood, throws salt over his shoulder, looks for his lucky penny...a rabbits foot, and that gypsy chick's ring)

Seriously, a quantum leap in perceivable performance for the user. SSD's have been a major perceivable performance booster since introduction. Benchmarks be damned, you can see this boost in action.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4507516 - 02/15/20 05:10 PM Re: Advice about SSD's [Re: rwatson]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Agreed. I went from mechanical to SSD and now NVMe for the OS drive....it's literally 5-6 seconds to login screen now.

You also get used to instant software installs instead of watching progress bars across the screen.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.