Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4505425 - 01/29/20 03:25 PM 80's Rock and Car Show - June 13, 2020  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I quit posting concert and vacation pics (too social media-like and I think it was annoying to some people), but I'm going to post pics of this one if just for the cars...

[Linked Image]

Man, I'm already so excited about this event! What a great idea, Baton Rouge (we still so love our 80's Rock)!

Night Ranger...

Night Ranger - Sister Christian (Official Video)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z92bmlcmyq0

Night Ranger - When You Close Your Eyes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGLeg3y3b1U

Night Ranger "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" - Live (Official)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVIltMJkXD0

And of course...

Night Ranger - You Can Still Rock In America (Live 2012)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8v9zB3oi70

Attached Files Rockn_the_Bayou.jpg

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4505426 - 01/29/20 03:29 PM Re: 80's Rock and Car Show - June 13, 2020 [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I'll be very curious to see a demographic report from you after the concert! I want to know how many people younger than you were there. biggrin

Speaking of cars and rock, I think the absolute two greatest "car cruising" songs are "Sister Christian" and "Hell's Bells".

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4505427 - 01/29/20 03:30 PM Re: 80's Rock and Car Show - June 13, 2020 [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Holy crap, Winger will be there too! lol

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4505429 - 01/29/20 03:38 PM Re: 80's Rock and Car Show - June 13, 2020 [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I'll make sure some of the crowd demographics are in my pics, PM. smile

Also performing...

Winger - Seventeen (Official Music Video)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irc5j1gkihY

Winger - Headed For A Heartbreak (Official Music Video)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIpRdbi9pYw

The sun is in the east
#4505430 - 01/29/20 03:39 PM Re: 80's Rock and Car Show - June 13, 2020 [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Holy crap, Winger will be there too! lol

Yeah, looking now into rest of event (some Winger above).

Oh man.

The sun is in the east
#4505431 - 01/29/20 03:43 PM Re: 80's Rock and Car Show - June 13, 2020 [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
More (already having a good feeling about this day/evening wink )...

Firehouse - When I Look Into Your Eyes (Official Video)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQSkuDWhaAo

The sun is in the east
#4505432 - 01/29/20 03:52 PM Re: 80's Rock and Car Show - June 13, 2020 [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I have to admit that I've never heard of "Firehouse", "Lillian Axe", "Chase Tyler Band" or Michael Sweet.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 01/29/20 03:52 PM.

#4505438 - 01/29/20 04:41 PM Re: 80's Rock and Car Show - June 13, 2020 [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I have to admit that I've never heard of "Firehouse", "Lillian Axe", "Chase Tyler Band" or Michael Sweet.

I only know of Firehouse for the one song above that's on one of my Monster Rock Ballads CDs, but not the rest.

Apparently Michael Sweet replaced the late Brad Delp in Boston from 2007 to 2011. I wouldn't mind some Boston covers.

Hmm...favorite cruising songs, those are good ones. Also for me, Rush's "Red Barchetta" and Boston's "Don't Look Back".

The sun is in the east
#4505444 - 01/29/20 05:11 PM Re: 80's Rock and Car Show - June 13, 2020 [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I just listened to "When I Look in Your Eyes" and I don't remember it at all! I guess it just fell under my radar when I was in college.

By the way, that opening chord sounds an awful lot like the opening chord to "Faithfully" by Journey doesn't it?

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 01/29/20 05:12 PM.

#4505456 - 01/29/20 06:55 PM Re: 80's Rock and Car Show - June 13, 2020 [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Yeah, it sure does sound like the intro to "Faithfully".

++++++++++

Something interesting about Seventeen...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventeen_(Winger_song)

"According to Kip Winger, he took inspiration from the Beatles song, "I Saw Her Standing There", which contains the lyric, "Well she was just seventeen/If you know what I mean/And the way she looked/Was way beyond compare..."

From what I'm reading, they change the girl's age in live performances, possibly to what her current age is (would be 49 today). I'll have to take note of this when they play it. BTW, the girl in the video was actually 24 (56 today).

This has me thinking of laws and social acceptances which may have changed since the 80's. For example, I turned 18 on 8/31/85 which was the legal drinking age in Louisiana (raised to 21 only two years later in '87). But IIRC, there was a grandfather clause which meant I could still drink at my wedding Jan. of '88 at 20 had I wanted to. Although it may not have mattered since my parents were present (a loophole in the drinking laws, like getting a drive-thru daiquiri with straw taped to top vs. inserted in hole).

Another side note while listening to that song...I remember turning 18 and thinking my girlfriend was potential jail bait for the next 5 weeks. biggrin Awful few weeks for other reasons, I went full reetard at 18 (smokes and drink) and almost lost a future wife (there's nothing wrong with changing for a woman if it's obviously for the best, right?).

++++++++++

I think those other acts are just local bands, I dunno. For home-born bands, I wouldn't mind hearing some Zebra and Louisiana LeRoux...

NEW ORLEANS LADIES by Louisiana Le Roux [1978]...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR5RJEF_y7g

The sun is in the east
#4505457 - 01/29/20 07:04 PM Re: 80's Rock and Car Show - June 13, 2020 [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by MarkG
YI remember turning 18 and thinking my girlfriend was potential jail bait for the next 5 weeks. biggrin

Age of consent varies by State so it depends.

Well, look at this. Age of consent in LA is currently 17. I have no clue though if it was a different age when you got married.

https://www.ageofconsent.net/states/louisiana

#4505463 - 01/29/20 07:37 PM Re: 80's Rock and Car Show - June 13, 2020 [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Interesting. We married at 20. I was just thinking hypothetically when we were dating, the 5 weeks I was technically an adult while she was a minor. But if age of consent was at least 17 it wouldn't have mattered, had it been happening (which it wasn't, at least not that). All just a "what if" as I reminisce listening to this silly song, but maybe not so silly for a cousin who has already spent several decades in prison for this very thing.

Back to the song...I guess it's kinda wrong anyway, just didn't seem that way at the time. smile

The sun is in the east
#4505485 - 01/30/20 12:33 AM Re: 80's Rock and Car Show - June 13, 2020 [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I've never heard of Winger's guitarist Reb Beach but he seems to get some respect for his musicianship, even from haters of Glam Rock. He's also a guitarist for Whitesnake now.

Apparently Winger and Metallica were feuding at one time or another, I stopped reading before I read something I wish I hadn't. Man, I just want to have a good time, that other stuff would be distracting...I'll go back and read it after the show.

The sun is in the east
#4505588 - 01/30/20 08:33 PM Re: 80's Rock and Car Show - June 13, 2020 [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I'm still trying to figure out Winger...

==========
"Rod Morgenstein is one of those musicians that five people may know from five different projects. To one person, Rod may be thought of as the drummer of Winger, whose first two albums each sold platinum and yielded multiple hit singles. To another person, Rod was voted "Best Progressive Rock Drummer" for five years in a row in Modern Drummer, likely rooted in his playing with The Dixie Dregs. Someone else may know him as a faculty member at top music school, Berklee School Of Music, where he has taught for nearly 20 years. And those are only a few of the prominent projects he has been associated with in his decades as a career musician."

http://www.noplacelikelongisland.co...-winger-the-jelly-jam-northport-and-more
==========

So, who are the Dixie Dregs?

I could do a show like this (and I think I've heard this song before)...

Cruise Control - Dawn of the Dregs - Dixie Dregs Live...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR6wkQVKB1I

I might dig up some "new" music from this.

Overall I don't care much for the Glam Rock/Metal sound (even ignoring the look) except for each band's 1 or 2 big hits (maybe 4 tops). Not even enough for a Greatest Hits in most cases (RATT comes to mind: "Round and Round", "Lay it Down" and "Between the Eyes", the last one a non-hit that I like). Looking through my music library, I have lots of 1,2,3 or 4 hit wonders in this group of bands (mostly singles, hardly any albums).

++++++++++

Every Night Ranger concert video I come across sounds *outstanding* to me!

The sun is in the east
#4505745 - 02/01/20 02:13 AM Re: 80's Rock and Car Show - June 13, 2020 [Re: MarkG]  
David Kennard Offline
David Kennard  Offline

Northern Virginia, USA
I have to admit that I've never heard of . . . . . Michael Sweet.

. . . Apparently Michael Sweet replaced the late Brad Delp in Boston from 2007 to 2011 . . .

. . . Boston?!

He was a founding member & the lead singer of STRYPER!

Christian Metal at it's finest, safe concert to take your high school girlfriend to when her parents would not let her go with you to see Judas Priest smile

[Linked Image]

"I'm a hundred miles away son, ready to strike"

GPL Racing: Average Drivers Club

SimHQ Motorsports: SimHQ Motorsports

EVGA Z170 Classified K MB, Intel i7-6700K CPU, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GPU, EVGA 850 G3 PSU, Bitfenix Dawn TG Case, Windows 10,
32gb T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 3600MHz Memory, 500gb WD Black SN750 NVMe Boot Drive

#4505747 - 02/01/20 02:36 AM Re: 80's Rock and Car Show - June 13, 2020 [Re: MarkG]  
David Kennard Offline
David Kennard  Offline

Northern Virginia, USA

Every Night Ranger concert video I come across sounds *outstanding* to me!

Love Me Some Night Ranger band

I even like a lot of the "Darn" Yankees stuff . . . Blades, Shaw & The Motor City Madman

[Linked Image]

Coming of Age

Don't Tread On Me

Come Again

and as always . . . The Power Ballads

High Enough

Where You Goin' Now

\

Full Concert

EVGA Z170 Classified K MB, Intel i7-6700K CPU, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GPU, EVGA 850 G3 PSU, Bitfenix Dawn TG Case, Windows 10,
32gb T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 3600MHz Memory, 500gb WD Black SN750 NVMe Boot Drive

#4505748 - 02/01/20 02:43 AM Re: 80's Rock and Car Show - June 13, 2020 [Re: MarkG]  
David Kennard Offline
David Kennard  Offline

Northern Virginia, USA
I quit posting concert and vacation pics (too social media-like and I think it was annoying to some people . . .

I enjoyed them but I understand . . .

One of these needs to be your next vacation though & if you ever go to one you better post about it thumbsup

https://monstersofrockcruise.com/

[Linked Image]

#4505785 - 02/01/20 02:35 PM Re: 80's Rock and Car Show - June 13, 2020 [Re: David Kennard]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by David Kennard
I have to admit that I've never heard of . . . . . Michael Sweet.

. . . Apparently Michael Sweet replaced the late Brad Delp in Boston from 2007 to 2011 . . .

. . . Boston?!

He was a founding member & the lead singer of STRYPER!

Christian Metal at it's finest, safe concert to take your high school girlfriend to when her parents would not let her go with you to see Judas Priest smile

I can kind of relate, only in my case it would have been...

'May I take your 16 year-old ultra-conservative straight-laced straight-A hair-ribbon-wearing regular-catechism/church-attending daughter to a concert ma'am? They're a wholesome Southern Country Music band, and my mother said she would be happy to drop us off and pick us up.'

Of course, half of Alabama's hits were about sex (even their big radio hit for that concert was "When We Make Love"). Lol. But still, we're not talking Nicki Minaj lyrics here.

I think we knew after that first date that enjoying live music together was going to be a regular part of our relationship. 36 years later, it still is. band

++++++++++

Love the Dam Yankees. And you have no idea how much I want to go on one of those Rock Cruises (plus it's on Royal Caribbean, we'd get diamond status perks having 5+ cruises on RCI). I'm starting to recognize the tribute acts in those cruise band listings, we've seen the Atomic Punks twice (DLR Van Halen tribute) and they are just fantastic!

The sun is in the east
#4507308 - 02/14/20 01:05 AM Re: 80's Rock and Car Show - June 13, 2020 [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I'll be very curious to see a demographic report from you after the concert! I want to know how many people younger than you were there. biggrin

I paid attention to the Eagles tribute audience Friday evening, mostly couples in their 50's and 60's (a few a little younger and older but not by much).

Wife sat next to a very cute and pleasant 60'ish woman who lost her husband (I believe they were HS sweetheart graduates in '76). Her words, "You hear the songs and the memories come flooding back." I can relate to music-memory but dam if I could do what she did that evening.

I bring this up because I read complaints sometimes on musician boards about people paying to see unoriginal tribute and cover bands instead of supporting original artists. Eh, not that same concert-going demographics.

The sun is in the east
#4507360 - 02/14/20 12:32 PM Re: 80's Rock and Car Show - June 13, 2020 [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Eh, not that same concert-going demographics.

Bingo. People in the older age groups very RARELY go out to see original up and coming bands. Those new original artists need to concentrate on luring the teens and college age kids.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 02/14/20 12:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.