Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 161 of 384 1 2 159 160 161 162 163 383 384
#4507087 - 02/11/20 05:41 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? *** [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Forgot about Battlestar, Panzer, sorry. Saw that last year. :-|

I watch a show before bed every night.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4507088 - 02/11/20 05:43 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Forgot about Battlestar, Panzer, sorry. Saw that last year. :-|

No problem . So was I correct? Did you end up liking it since you also like "The Expanse"?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4507095 - 02/11/20 06:26 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Hotshot
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Yep, Battlestar was great. My only complaint is I wanted more. smile

#4507107 - 02/11/20 07:10 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

Altered Carbon - If you like Blade Runner and the cyberpunk genre in general then you shouldn't miss this. Season 2 starts later this month.

REALLY?

THANKS!

[Linked Image]
#4507151 - 02/12/20 02:04 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Season 2 started this week http://www.channel5.com/show/warship-life-at-sea/ about this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Duncan_(D37)

first season episodes here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0iAj2PNcKIrvTnGPw2jAGA/search?query=warship Also Britains Biggest Warship (HMS Queen Elizabeth) first season episodes are there too

[Linked Image]
#4507187 - 02/12/20 04:23 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
Blastman, Not a lot of options that I know of that have both => 40 episodes, is complete, a serialized plot, and not already recommended. Best one I can think of to recommend is Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

I watched the first few episodes of Avenue 5. Silly characters and premise. It's good for a few laughs and I can't wait to see the rest of it.

#4507188 - 02/12/20 04:37 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Avenue 5 is a new one to me. Looks interesting,but...

How does Hugh Laurie's American accent sound to an American ear? I find it quite 'off' as a Brit,along with Simon Pegg's Scottish accent in Star trek.

Just wondering.

Last edited by Chucky; 02/12/20 04:38 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4507190 - 02/12/20 05:07 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: Chucky]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Chucky

How does Hugh Laurie's American accent sound to an American ear? I find it quite 'off' as a Brit,along with Simon Pegg's Scottish accent in Star trek.

Just wondering.

I find stuff like this fascinating. To my American ears, Laurie's American accent is flawless. So flawless in fact that I thought he was an American when I first noticed him on the Fox show "House". I didn't discover "Blackadder" until afterwards. smile

Gary Oldman is another UK actor who does a flawless American accent.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 02/12/20 05:08 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4507191 - 02/12/20 05:15 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Hotshot
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Well, Dexter is done. What a great show, aside from the second half of season 6 where they assumed their viewers were idiots. Time to find something else. I think I'm in the mood for sci-fi/fantasy again but don't know where to start other than Stranger Things. 40+ Episodes already aired is preferred.

#4507192 - 02/12/20 05:17 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Thanks for the feedback Panzer. Ok,now I'll watch it smile

#4507193 - 02/12/20 05:17 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Well, Dexter is done. What a great show, aside from the second half of season 6 where they assumed their viewers were idiots. Time to find something else. I think I'm in the mood for sci-fi/fantasy again but don't know where to start other than Stranger Things. 40+ Episodes already aired is preferred.

I never watched Dexter since the premise didn't interest me but I remember reading about how a lot of fans were unhappy with the series finale. That seems to be a common thing though with popular shows.

#4507195 - 02/12/20 05:22 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: Chucky]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

You're welcome. On the flip side, I've always been curious to know what British viewers thought about the accent put on by some American actors. For example, James Cromwell in "The Queen" or Brad Pitt and Benicio del Toro in "Snatch".

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 02/12/20 05:45 PM.

#4507196 - 02/12/20 05:28 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Hotshot
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA

I never watched Dexter since the premise didn't interest me but I remember reading about how a lot of fans were unhappy with the series finale. That seems to be a common thing though with popular shows.

Well, I know why they were unhappy, but as a writer I found the ending a thoughtful conclusion to the story for a variety of reasons I can't share because of spoilers. I liked the ending. How I see things, if your fans one hundred percent like and agree with everything you create, you're failing yourself and them by doing a half-assed job. Good writing challenges readers and viewers and exposes them to plot lines and conclusions they might be uncomfortable with.

However, I caveat this by stating that this depends on the type of fictional work. Sometimes we need to feel good with the ending of a story because of the journey the protagonists endured, and as tempting as it may be to shake things up, doing so might destroy the foundation formed through the journey. On the other hand, if a story deals with an uncomfortable premise to begin with, and has morally ambiguous material or characters who walk the line, testing the limits may be apropos.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 02/12/20 05:32 PM.
#4507198 - 02/12/20 05:43 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK

You''re welcome. On the flip side, I've always been curious to know what British viewers thought about the accent put on by some American actors. For example, James Cromwell in "The Queen" or Brad Pitt and Benicio del Toro in "Snatch".

I'll have to re-watch that to determine the latter. I thought Brad Pitt's gypsy accent was 'convincing' but I'm no expert in that field. It was certainly difficult to understand,something I noted when dealing with some 'scrap metal merchants' that used to call at work who were of that lifestyle.

#4507210 - 02/12/20 09:40 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Well, Dexter is done. What a great show, aside from the second half of season 6 where they assumed their viewers were idiots.

I never watched Dexter since the premise didn't interest me but I remember reading about how a lot of fans were unhappy with the series finale.

Well, I know why they were unhappy, but as a writer I found the ending a thoughtful conclusion to the story for a variety of reasons I can't share because of spoilers.

I'd second that. And while I don't want to go into spoiler territory, I have to ask those who were unhappy how they thought how else things would end?
You can't have a protagonist struggling with his unsatiable urge for murder, as inhumanly disciplined as he may be, ride into the sunset at the end leading to a happy, peaceful life with his love interest. The series tries to make a point that he's not a pure psychopath as you would find in the books (something which I think they stressed a bit too much, to explain why as the main protagonist in a popular show the writers had to somehow make him more relatable) ... but even then I htink that some people forgot that at the end of the day he is definitely not normal, but a serial killer, even if he appears to be the perfect neighbor, as long as you don't invade his privacy - or out yourself as a serial killer.

Watching Amazon's "Treadstone" right now. The hand-to-hand combat scenes are too long. What was great about the Bourne movies is that they kept them short, and often improvised. Other than that, it's not too bad, actually. Though the break-in into the Moscow Military State Archive was stretching it. Clandestine, privately operated super hacker farms don't exist.

#4507211 - 02/12/20 09:48 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Coming back to Dexter, what is remarkable is for how long they kept the quality really high. It's not just the main character but the whole ensemble of actors, the script writing, camera work, and the fact that each season was set up to investigate a different aspect - could a serial killer have a real friendship? A loving relation? What about religion? Family? Could he team up, let someone into his terrible secret?
These are questions with which everyone in the audience is confronted at some point or the other in his life (save for the serial killing), they made the show worth watching. Season 5 will forever be my favorite. Season 1 may actually have been the weakest overall (strictly relatively speaking - it was still decent).

But you have to buy into the premise of the show, that you want to watch a serial killer trying everything to avoid getting caught, even if he preys exclusively on other murderers.

#4507213 - 02/12/20 10:20 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
I'm about to finish Dexter tonight, and need another series to watch. I doubt there's anything else as strong as Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, or Dexter, but I'm hopeful? Any suggestions?

Cross these off the list:
If you can tell, I'm looking for serials with continuous plots. High quality is preferred. I know of a few such as Stranger Things that I need to watch, but I'd prefer a series that is mostly complete with 40 episodes minimum to watch.

You certainly listed some of the best, so not everything that I can recommend will fit the bill. That said, I think they're at least worth checking out:
  • The Man in the High Castle
    Superb acting, high production values, decent plot, a creative adaptation of the P.K. Dick novel; deviates where it must, but respects the source. Villains with depth. Good guys with flaws.
  • Orphan Black
    Combines a science-fiction thriller story with a main actress in seven or eight roles, and you forget that she's the same actress. She even pulls off playing one character badly impersonating the other on multiple occasions, and you can see both personalities. Tatiana Maslany's acting is flawless. The story may be not super-original and it's getting a bit long in the tooth in the last two seasons. But they bring it to a somewhat decent closure, and the ever inflating conspiracy is eventually brought back to its origins, so all in all: Two thumbs up.
  • Boardwalk Empire
    Shares much of the things I liked about The Man in the High Castle. Plus, historical setting, what's not to love about bootleggers with tommy guns.
  • The Wire
    Hand-down the best TV series that I ever saw. I didn't think that I would care (much less like it). My practical life is about as detached from West Baltimore as it gets. It doesn't have very likable good guys. And yet, it's a fascinating mix. The bad guys are actually somewhat sympathic without ever glorifying or excusing or downplaying the bad things that they do. The plot is more segmented with recurring themes rather than one super-long arc. But I like the format that they use one case for a whole season interspersed with other random cr4p that is constantly making the life of the cops miserable, and they manage to look at the West Baltimore mess from different perspectives. The Gangsters, the cops, the politicians, the schools, and the press and how they all factor in.
  • Hell On Wheels
    At least Seasons 1-4 were quite decent, I even liked the last one. Nice idea telling the history of the transcontinental railway from a foreman's perspective.
  • The Marvellous Ms Maisel
    While scoring very low on the suspense meter, it can be hilariously funny at times. American Jewish family life in the 1960s, and standup comedy.
  • Fringe
    Has it's weaknesses, but it's not a simple X Files knock-off. A well-prepared five-season story arc when things actually come together in the end.

#4507219 - 02/12/20 11:35 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Fringe was quite good and I enjoyed it. The first season was heavily influenced by the X-Files. There is no doubt about that. However, the show started to acquire more of its own identity as the seasons progressed.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 02/12/20 11:38 PM.

#4507245 - 02/13/20 02:34 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Watching "13 Days" about the Cuban Missile crisis in 62 Pretty good...Darn I was 13 at the time

Russ
Semper Fi
#4507246 - 02/13/20 02:39 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: rwatson]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by rwatson
Watching "13 Days" about the Cuban Missile crisis in 62 Pretty good...Darn I was 13 at the time

It's the absolute best movie I've seen that portrays the events of the Cuban Missile Crisis. Everything about the film is great as long as you ignore Kevin Costner's terrible Bostonian accent.

Page 161 of 384 1 2 159 160 161 162 163 383 384

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.