Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4580048 - 09/14/21 02:12 PM Re: Anyone Tracking on Grand Tactician: The American Civil War [Re: Nimits]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
Now for the bad news... In its current state I cannot recommend the game. I am experiencing too many issues with the UI and the campaign. The gamebreaker for me is that autoresolve battles often get stuck indefinitely. The developer is now aware of this, hopefully it can be fixed before release. Prior to that I was also having problems with pathfinding on the campaign map, but the latest beta seems to have improved this.
I will give it another go after the full release.

Assuming these issues will be fixed, this can become a good re-enactment sandbox. The officer roster is impressive: I could build the entire Army of the Potomac at the time of Seven Pines with only a few artillery/cavalry commanders missing. The table-top style battles are fun: perhaps not as detailed as in Scourge of War but enough to spend an hour or two on a large battle. The campaign, too, has interesting interaction between political decisions and military operations (e.g. appointing a "political" general may help to boost state support, which helps to increase the number of volunteers). You need to keep an eye on your finances as a low credit rating is very bad news. I've only played as the Union, I assume it gets worse for the CSA ;-) You can try to play this as per the history book, but if you are feeling adventurous there is nothing to stop you from going on a rampage with McClellan while Grant commands a battery in a Missouri backwater. Another gripe I have with the game is that you have to use workarounds to detach e.g. a division as an independent command on the strategic map: you have to define it as a Corps, so expect to end up with dozens of Major Generals and even Lieutenant Generals.

I am not so sure if it can qualify as a good strategy game, in the sense of the player having to deal with a consistent challenge. On the game forum players report that they can finish the war in 1862 without even trying. Also, expect to see enemy armies retreating behind your lines and the AI leaving key locations undefended.

As the game stands, its appeal lies in the fact that it is about the ACW. Let's just say that if this game were set in Middle Earth, I would not see many reasons to play it. All I can do is hope that it will improve after release.

Last edited by Johan217; 09/14/21 02:18 PM.

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4580050 - 09/14/21 02:20 PM Re: Anyone Tracking on Grand Tactician: The American Civil War [Re: Nimits]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Creative Assembly has been releasing Total War games since 2000 and there are still issues that crop up concerning pathfinding for units on both the strategic map and in 3D battles and I'm sure CA has a LOT more resources than the studio making this ACW game.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4580084 - 09/14/21 08:34 PM Re: Anyone Tracking on Grand Tactician: The American Civil War [Re: Nimits]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks for the posts Johan, appreciated. Your interest in the American Civil War is cool.

I still have high hopes for this. Such a small team, is it still one man? I don't know if he (they) will get this game where it needs to be, but I hope they will!

The operational layer is very intriguing to me, the logistics, the ability to cut (and need to protect) supply lines is something I want out of virtually every game of this type, but very few have anything like it, especially games that also offer a tactical layer. Strategical, tactical, operational and economic layers all in one game is great. If you return to it, or keep playing, please post if you see anything that seems encouraging smile

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4580230 - 09/16/21 07:44 AM Re: Anyone Tracking on Grand Tactician: The American Civil War [Re: Nimits]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
Perhaps I missed some of the nuances, but I found that logistics in the game basically come down to just building depots along the way. The effect is similar to the food/attrition mechanic in Total War. Supplies are split into Ammunition (small arms/artillery) and Food (men/horses). So there are different factors to take into consideration, but the player has no control over production.

Don't get me wrong, there is plenty to like if you are willing to put up with the UI quirks. The best fun I am getting is when I am recreating specific episodes from the war. A real-time campaign allows a lot more flexibility for this than a turn-based system. For example in the Union campaign I did the Union's expedition to Port Royal, with the historical commanders and - almost - at the correct date.
Apparently the game should be fairly easy to mod , and it should be possible to switch sides by editing the savegame. Haven't tried it yet, but it would be interesting to make sure that the opposing side is using a correct OOB, too. That would make it the ultimate sandbox.

Another + I would like to mention is that casualty figures are believable, perhaps even on the low side. A nice contrast to most games.

Last edited by Johan217; 09/16/21 09:37 AM.

#4580377 - 09/17/21 01:52 PM Re: Anyone Tracking on Grand Tactician: The American Civil War [Re: Johan217]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Johan217
Perhaps I missed some of the nuances, but I found that logistics in the game basically come down to just building depots along the way.

That sounds OK, and the appeal is both having to protect these, as well as the ability to cut/capture them. Of course I have zero experience with the game and know not how it works, but I envision launching raids, say by roving bands of cavalry, to disrupt these lines of communication, capture supplies, isolate enemy formations. I'm sure my vision does not match reality, but that would be cool if this sort of thing can be done.

I want a sandbox tactical/operational Civil War game, and was hoping this would be it. It may be so in spirit, but not in fact. It will evolve I suppose, so worth keeping an eye on. I said earlier in this thread that it seems a shame it was released so early in the cycle. A game like this needs good buzz but it has little, mainly due to how unrealized promises and expectations seem to be.

#4580482 - 09/18/21 08:46 AM Re: Anyone Tracking on Grand Tactician: The American Civil War [Re: Nimits]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
That is not quite how it works in the game. The smallest possible unit on the campaign map is a Corps. If your corps includes cavalry, raids are simulated by the "Raid" command: nearby infrastructure will be damaged and your troops will "steal" supplies from enemy buildings. I don't think it is possible to tear up railway tracks or blow up bridges. Perhaps this is simulated too by diminished transportation, but I haven't checked. I prefer this approach to e.g. Total War where there may be tiny units all over the place.

I'm not 100% sure about how the capture mechanic works. It seems that for depots and production facilities it is enough to hold the nearest town.

Last edited by Johan217; 09/18/21 08:50 AM.

#4580503 - 09/18/21 05:47 PM Re: Anyone Tracking on Grand Tactician: The American Civil War [Re: Nimits]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks for the info, interesting and useful.

#4580626 - 09/20/21 02:09 PM Re: Anyone Tracking on Grand Tactician: The American Civil War [Re: Nimits]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
The game manual (257 pages thumbsup) was released yesterday, which certainly helps to shed some light on the game's finer aspects.

It appears that indeed destroying railways etc is simulated by reduced transportation and supplies. The supplies system is more complex than I thought: it should be possible to e.g. cut off the enemy's salt production by capturing the right nodes - but good luck finding them biggrin I think that this game can be as in-depth or as simple as the player desires. You can delve into all the details to run your armies more efficiently, or just make do with a bit of common sense. Reminds me a bit of Mig Alley's campaign (someone please do a remake of that!).

#4580630 - 09/20/21 02:45 PM Re: Anyone Tracking on Grand Tactician: The American Civil War [Re: Nimits]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
MiG Alley 2

That would be perfectly cromulent!

Attached Files homer.jpg

#4580632 - 09/20/21 02:48 PM Re: Anyone Tracking on Grand Tactician: The American Civil War [Re: Johan217]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Johan217
The game manual (257 pages thumbsup) was released yesterday, which certainly helps to shed some light on the game's finer aspects.

They actually released a printed manual?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4580680 - 09/20/21 09:57 PM Re: Anyone Tracking on Grand Tactician: The American Civil War [Re: Nimits]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
PDF, sorry should have mentioned that.

#4581204 - 09/27/21 04:49 PM Re: Anyone Tracking on Grand Tactician: The American Civil War [Re: Nimits]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
I've been looking at this.Anyone bought it and is it worth getting.Some at Steam like it some don't I'm considering it but I'd like to hear from a few members here.Before I take the plunge I currently play Ultimate General daily.

Russ
Semper Fi
#4581220 - 09/27/21 06:17 PM Re: Anyone Tracking on Grand Tactician: The American Civil War [Re: Nimits]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Johan, bought it, played it and reported above.

My take on his and others' reports is

Has potential but not ready for prime time. Raw, unpolished, but conceptually appealing. If execution matches design goals then we could have a winner. But it is not there yet.

#4581236 - 09/27/21 07:59 PM Re: Anyone Tracking on Grand Tactician: The American Civil War [Re: Nimits]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
I've decided to wait DB and see how it moves along.I've still gout Ultimate General and a couple of Talonsoft titles.I've been reading a lot on my Civil War books and got the itch.

Russ
Semper Fi
#4581388 - 09/29/21 01:25 PM Re: Anyone Tracking on Grand Tactician: The American Civil War [Re: Nimits]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I think that's a prudent decision at this stage. I have not played it myself, so take what I say with a grain of salt. As Johan and others have said there are parts of the game that are good and compelling right now, but taken as a whole the game needs more time. We'll see if it manages to reach its potential. I speculated earlier that this game would benefit from the dev's experience with Seven Years War, that he could avoid certain missteps, and perhaps make progress more swiftly.

Steam reviews are positive overall, but the theme running through them is the game needs more time to polish the rough spots and make the overall gaming experience better. That the core design features are promising but as yet unrealized in their final form. When it came out on EA I commented that a game like this needs better buzz and that it hit too early. It really needed to be further along.

#4581391 - 09/29/21 01:39 PM Re: Anyone Tracking on Grand Tactician: The American Civil War [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond

Steam reviews are positive overall, but the theme running through them is the game needs more time to polish the rough spots and make the overall gaming experience better. That the core design features are promising but as yet unrealized in their final form. .

I think the fundamental issue here with these historical war strategy games is that they cater to a small niche of the PC gamer market so these games are made with bare bones budgets and limited manpower; hence there is a pressure to release the game before it is truly 100% completed and polished so the developer can get some money coming in which then allows them to continue working on the game and improve it.

I saw this exact scenario happen with a game I played recently called 'Imperator Rome" which was developed by Paradox Interactive.

#4581392 - 09/29/21 01:39 PM Re: Anyone Tracking on Grand Tactician: The American Civil War [Re: Nimits]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
I think it's best to wait a bit DB.I'll wait for a patch or two rather than get frustrated and have to relearn once the fix the major issues

Russ
Semper Fi
#4581394 - 09/29/21 01:46 PM Re: Anyone Tracking on Grand Tactician: The American Civil War [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

I saw this exact scenario happen with a game I played recently called 'Imperator Rome" which was developed by Paradox Interactive.

That's a great comparison PM and I agree. I completely understand why he went EA, but at the same time I think it has suffered from coming out too early. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

A major house like Paradox has less room for excuses though.

#4581563 - 10/01/21 04:00 AM Re: Anyone Tracking on Grand Tactician: The American Civil War [Re: Nimits]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
My take, the historical battles are worth playing (and, IMO are more accurate than what you will see in Ultimate General). The campaign game (which is admittedly the main feature) on the other hand still needs some more work, especially on the AI.

#4594687 - 03/21/22 05:50 PM Re: Anyone Tracking on Grand Tactician: The American Civil War [Re: Nimits]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Anyone playing this and cares to comment on the current state of the game?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.