Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
#4526568 - 06/21/20 06:28 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

@Becker,

Pleased to hear that the "lite" tweak of Xjouve's ver. 1.1 water map is working well - I'm also quite happy with the overall fps, with the tweak installed. Couple of representative pics. below from the latest mission. Lakes and rivers seen slightly on the other side of the lines, around Ypres. Wonderful for even more immersion.

Now I have to write up the report. The Eindecker (E.II), while more capable than the lethargic E.I or the E.III (with the longer wingspan), is still a handful and tiring to fly against Nieups.

Happy flying,
Von S

Lite Tweak of Xjouve's ver. 1.1 Water Map
[Linked Image]

And Other View
[Linked Image]

Attached Files rivers1.jpgrivers2.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 03:44 AM. Reason: Edited post.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4526870 - 06/22/20 11:25 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

@All,

One more followup regarding Xjouve's water map ver. 1.1 - with the patch loaded via JSGME, you may notice some graphical oddities around the Dover cliffs (see pic. for reference, below). Doesn't matter if the full water map or my "lite" tweak is installed - the only way to avoid the oddity is by not running the ver. 1.1 water patch if you are flying around Dover. Otherwise the water map is fine for continental Europe and inland U.K. from what I've been able to test. (Have not bothered checking with the sub-theater ver. 2.0 water maps since those take a bite out of my fps so I don't run them.)

Happy flying with and without water maps,
Von S smile2

Attached Files water1prob.jpg

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4527535 - 06/26/20 07:07 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Casual campaigns rolling well...brief updates...novel-in-progress up to about 250 pages now, soon to switch over to the RFC adventures again, but was tempted to try out a French career too in the meantime. Full write-up for that first mission below, for my regular readers reading - will think about expanding on this pilot and perhaps integrating it into the novel, as well. All of the standard mods. installed for the French campaign too, as per my other campaigns, including of course Xjouve's nice water mod. (with the "lite" tweak applied). No trouble with fps and smooth-running.

Happy flying,
Von S smile2

[Narrative removed - see relevant update in the very first post of this "casual campaigns" thread for more info.]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files albatri.jpgshatador.jpgwelcome.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 03:47 AM. Reason: Updated post.

#4527755 - 06/28/20 03:21 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

[Synopsis removed - see relevant update in the very first post of this "casual campaigns" thread for more info.]

Happy flying all,
Von S smile2

Thank you JJJ for allowing swapping in/out of plane types in the Mission Ed., before flight (back to patrolling in N23s for this mission)
[Linked Image]

Sun glistening on the water makes one forget about the war
[Linked Image]

The trio making a wide turn - fps are holding up well
[Linked Image]

Breguets in the vicinity, while we pass in the background below
[Linked Image]

The mountain lakes look particularly inviting
[Linked Image]

And thank you to RJW and company for the populated airfields mods., as well as to JJJ for the historical aircraft addon for airfields
[Linked Image]

Attached Files pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpgpic4.jpgpic5.jpgpic6.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 04:52 AM. Reason: Edited post.

#4528362 - 07/02/20 05:56 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Latest mission now flown, with full report written up...thought I'd post a few more screenies of the latest happenings. Greatly (terrible) weather with the BB ver. 3.0 clouds - also getting good results even in mid-1917 with mission diameter/frequency set to "light" in the in-sim menu, and frequency of contact with enemy set to "medium." Only other changes are an increase of ground fire to 850 m alt, in JJJ's multi-mod (have been running it that way for the last couple of missions) - and rear-gunner accuracy is at a value of "5" instead of 4.5 previously (seems to give good variety that way but is still deadly on occasion).

Happy flying all, and Happy Canada Day to fellow fliers celebrating north of the border, as well as a Happy 4th of July to fliers celebrating soon south of the border,
Von S smile2

Enemy flight with our small trio of Nieups. in the background
[Linked Image]

View from the Nieup. office looks particularly scary, we did several wide turns around the Albs. since they were also trying to get behind us, but eventually cut across them
[Linked Image]

Alb. rocket conversion
[Linked Image]

So many 'crates near Belfon today, likely Flight A had returned before us
[Linked Image]

One flight mate returned late but bagged a two-seater above the 'drome, "splendid" (the two-seater had no chance to drop anything and is off to self-detonate); there was another two-seater too, bagged by another fellow in a Spad 180 hp this time
[Linked Image]

One of the mounts was holed somewhat by its opposing two-seater, with engine conked out eventually
[Linked Image]

Note to self, do not turn back in a Spad with dead engine (this fellow survived miraculously, most likely forgot to harness himself in and was saved by the pine trees, well-flayed but nonetheless saved)
[Linked Image]

Time for some rest, sun, and those reclining patio chairs do look inviting, perhaps a spot of lemonade or absinthe to calm the nerves, mais oui?
[Linked Image]

Attached Files pec1.jpgpec2.jpgpec4.jpgpec6.jpgpec7.jpgpec8.jpgpec9.jpgpec10.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 03:52 AM. Reason: Edited post.

#4528447 - 07/02/20 08:25 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Nice write-up, VonS! I appreciate all your work testing various versions of mods and such. Great work!

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4530553 - 07/19/20 06:10 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Thanks BB for the kind words - glad the posts are helpful and enjoyable.

[Synopsis removed - see relevant update in the very first post of this "casual campaigns" thread for more info.]

Happy flying all,
Von S smile2

Objective was to attack the German 'drome southeast of Mulhouse - but there was company present
[Linked Image]

Quickly dispatched by the engined-up Spad 7, it was then on to the next target
[Linked Image]

The boys made good work of a two-seater that flipped into a spin
[Linked Image]

They also made quick work of this one that also had its tail chewed up
[Linked Image]

Not forgetting the goal of the mission, my pilot dove on the enemy's flight office to ventilate it, as well as damaging a two-seater that was being wheeled out of its hangar
[Linked Image]

Another Albatros is soon spotted
[Linked Image]

And is dismantled
[Linked Image]

And is further dismantled
[Linked Image]

Spotted also was a third Alby but our ammo. ran out - although this fellow almost dug into the ground at one point (before escaping)
[Linked Image]

Now unarmed, it was wise to escape in the speedy Spad
[Linked Image]

Our new fellow was spotted far below on an isolated patch of grass, surrounded by woods, and on the German side of the lines! (possible damage to his fuel line)
[Linked Image]

Running low on fuel, we dead-sticked it onto the 'drome near Fontaine, and rolled up to the canteen, just in time for breakfast
[Linked Image]

Attached Files pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpgpic5.jpgpic6.jpgpic7.jpgpic8.jpgpic9.jpgpic10.jpgpic11.jpgpic12.jpgpic13.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 04:54 AM. Reason: Edited post.

#4530953 - 07/22/20 01:37 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Wonderful reports and screenshots, Von S, as per your usual. I know I've said this before, but I don't know how you manage all those pilots at once. And, while I don't wish any of them ill will really, if they did all happen to fly off to join the Choir Invisible you'd be freed up to join us over in the DiD Campaign. Just saying. biggrin

Lou

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4531150 - 07/24/20 05:16 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert

Wonderful reports and screenshots, Von S, as per your usual. I know I've said this before, but I don't know how you manage all those pilots at once. And, while I don't wish any of them ill will really, if they did all happen to fly off to join the Choir Invisible you'd be freed up to join us over in the DiD Campaign. Just saying. biggrin

Lou

Much appreciated Lou. The report write-ups are coming along well so far - novel is up to about 270 pp. in length. Will fly some more missions soon - and then to come back to the RFC adventures. Once I've retired my trio of pilots I look forward to taking a spin in the DiD Campaigns. I'll do my best not to extend the novel much beyond 350 pp. or so - depends again on how long the pilots survive.

Juggling three pilots isn't too bad - since they all have their little quirks and characteristics - and the different sectors of the front tend to spin their own stories. The hardest part is switching between the various mounts once you get used to one type across several missions. Well, okay, you never really get used to the E.II but you learn to tolerate it.

Hope to fly missions more regularly as I push further with the book.

Happy flying all,
Von S

Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 04:01 AM. Reason: Edited post.

#4534194 - 08/20/20 04:28 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Von S smile2

Our pilot thought he would be awarded for this one
[Linked Image]

Lovely views of the flooded German 'drome
[Linked Image]

Attached Files Shot08-07-20-22-49-52.jpgShot08-07-20-23-08-28.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 04:03 AM. Reason: Updated post.

#4534196 - 08/20/20 04:48 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Von S smile2

Two-seater with observer killed
[Linked Image]

Other perspective on two-seater, river in background
[Linked Image]

Attached Files Shot08-19-20-15-52-28.jpgShot08-19-20-15-53-13.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 04:21 AM. Reason: Updated post.

#4535432 - 09/01/20 05:11 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Von S smile2

The mission begins, with relaxing water effects
[Linked Image]

An Aviatik encountered near the 'drome at Houplin
[Linked Image]

Other perspective of the Aviatik
[Linked Image]

The second Aviatik, that disappeared, is found again
[Linked Image]

And this one's a flamer
[Linked Image]

The return flight, with a lovely view of Lille
[Linked Image]

Attached Files shot1.jpgshot2.jpgshot3.jpgshot4.jpgshot5.jpgshot6.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 10:07 PM. Reason: Updated post.

#4536594 - 09/11/20 05:57 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Other things to report: fps are holding up well, although, in this sector, there is perhaps a 10 fps ave. drop, with the "lite" tweak of Xjouve's total water mod. (ver. 1.1) installed - more of an fps hit than up at Ghistelles or down in the Alsace region. Still, fps usually didn't drop below the low 50s or so - so it's fine overall (no stutters encountered and smooth fps) and I am running with the lite water mod. tweak constantly loaded, for immersion.

Happy flying,
Von S smile2

Strange new monoplanes encountered, June of 1915 (the Germans are always working on new technology)
[Linked Image]

Loitered awhile to see what supplies the train was transporting
[Linked Image]

Approaching the Aviatik stealthily
[Linked Image]

The poor fellows, a horrible site to behold
[Linked Image]

The other two-seater put up some good defensive maneuvers
[Linked Image]

With their engine dead, they pleasantly tipped over onto their nose (pilot and observer survived and were taken prisoner)
[Linked Image]

Attached Files pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpgpic4.jpgpic5.jpgpic6.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 04:26 AM. Reason: Updated post.

#4538455 - 09/26/20 04:26 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Including multiple witnesses in the claims reports has proven successful (thanks once again ePower for refreshing that relevant thread). FPS are holding up well with the lite water tweak of xJouve's ver. 1.1. water map. [...] Thus ends Part I of the novel at a length of 332 pages. Currently experimenting with fonts and other little bits to get the right look. Some panoramic and representative scenes below, from the last couple of missions.

Von S smile2

Leaving Bailleul Asylum
[Linked Image]

Magnificent views with the German 'drome south of Loos visible in the background
[Linked Image]

Action around Hazebroucke
[Linked Image]

Our fellows returning from a spotting mission along the lines
[Linked Image]

Approaching the lines near the Lys
[Linked Image]

The occasional gunbus heading back
[Linked Image]

Preparing to attack an Aviatik at one of the 'dromes further south and west of Loos (that often hosts experimental aircraft)
[Linked Image]

Passing the lines on the way back to Bailleul Asylum
[Linked Image]

Attached Files Shot09-13-20-22-44-15.jpgShot09-13-20-23-16-15.jpgShot09-13-20-23-34-02.jpgShot09-13-20-23-44-01.jpgShot09-19-20-23-18-08.jpgShot09-19-20-23-23-08.jpgShot09-19-20-23-43-57.jpgShot09-19-20-23-31-27.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 04:29 AM. Reason: Updated post.

#4538457 - 09/26/20 04:43 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Tinkering currently with a proper look for the novel...will try out a few variations. Some representative pics. below. Pol - is it fine if I include about 7 or 8 pics. from the sim. within the novel - in relevant episodes? (I've included a nice copyright near the beginning of the book that attributes the pics. to OBD Software, by the way - but thought I'd ask just in case.) Will also see if I can find a more subtle, aged-paper background for the pages.

Von S smile2

Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 04:32 AM. Reason: Updated post.

#4538465 - 09/26/20 10:12 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

The novel should be great. I'll have to discuss with WM too regarding the images. Is the novel to be a commercial venture VonS?

Couple of points on the back cover it should be "Wings Over Flanders Fields" these days rather than just Over Flanders Fields, and to future proof it maybe don't mention the UE or PE.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4538483 - 09/26/20 01:52 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
rtoolooze262 Offline
rtoolooze262  Offline

Mo. USA
Looks to be a wonderful novel! I enjoy reading your adventures.

#4538498 - 09/26/20 06:53 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: Polovski]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Originally Posted by Polovski
The novel should be great. I'll have to discuss with WM too regarding the images. Is the novel to be a commercial venture VonS?

Couple of points on the back cover it should be "Wings Over Flanders Fields" these days rather than just Over Flanders Fields, and to future proof it maybe don't mention the UE or PE.

Thanks Pol for the kind words - I will indeed change the info. to read "Wings Over Flanders Fields" and will remove any references to the UE/PE eds. In terms of the images, if WM thinks that 7-8 images are too much - an image on the front and back covers, at least, would be good even as an advert. for WOFF - but let me know either way what you and WM decide. If necessary I will of course remove all images from the book.

In terms of the commercial venture part: I would like to find either a decent publisher for the novel, or at least to go the e-Book route if no publisher is interested in taking up such an experimental/niche novel. [...]

(And thank you rtoolooze for the kind words as well.)

Von S smile2

Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 04:34 AM. Reason: Updated post.

#4538503 - 09/26/20 07:52 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.

Good luck, VonS, great project!
Originally Posted by VonS
... if this was eventually picked up as a movie too - hopefully with no horrible CGI in it and reasonable acting skills.

Von S smile2

Just without Tom Cruise, pls biggrin

#4538511 - 09/26/20 10:04 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

VonS, wonderful writing Sir! Shoot, I’ll purchase either one.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?