Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#4515598 - 04/10/20 04:13 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Mission No. 13 for Major Dobson & Company

(note: BB's ver. 3 clouds mod. activated, "full weather" variant; JJJ's MultiMod ver 2.1 in use; 1.4/1.2/1.1.1 WOFF GPU Tuner Patch combo. used; only change is horizontal winds being tested at full/default value, instead of moderate, in the Multimod; turbulence is still at moderate and vertical wind at low settings; max. fuel carried set to 80% in the sim. menu, to give about 2.5 hrs. max. flight in the Type C - will test OrbyxP's fuel consumption patch eventually)

-----
Early on the morning of the 28th I was to follow two of our Parasols down across the lines, to an enemy 'drome south of Loos. The plan was that the two Parasols, flown by Sgts. Aldridge and Rowena, bomb the aerodrome, or, at any rate, inflict as much damage on it as possible. The standard procedure followed, with us taking a spot of tea and aged cheese in the mess, and then up into the fairly calm skies, to see what we could do. The ascent was routine enough, with broken clouds present but the winds manageable. We then, very soon, spotted our own Archie fire opening up a few miles to the left of us, as we completed our ascending spiral around our little 'drome at Bailleul Asylum - the tandem of Parasols were then waived off by me, to proceed with their mission, while I decided to investigate further towards the lines, flying southwest towards Messines.

At an alt. of about 1500 m there became visible one of those lumbering German types, an Aviatik, that had most likely done a wide circle above Armentieres and was now heading back towards its own lines. I used the speed of my Bristol slowly to tighten the divide between us, and positioned myself closer to the tail end of the enemy aeroplane, so as to block the observer from taking shots at me. He managed to get off a few rounds from his rifle but I again maneuvered slightly to position myself further below - and then opened up with the Lewis M.G., with an initial burst of about 20 rounds, and then another burst of 20 rounds or so while the Aviatik was already engaged in a gradual turn to the right. The result was immediately evident, with his engine on fire and the propeller stopped - soon followed by a maddening and speedy dive towards the lines below, where the 'crate ended up embedded in the mud, and in a plume of smoke and debris.

I here considered it practical, since I was already almost over and onto the German side of the lines, to proceed towards the area directly north of Lille, where, through the breaks in cloud, there was spotted a solitary balloon, hovering rather languidly in the reserved wind. The LeRhone was then cut to one-thirds throttle, and I easily motioned the Type C into a wonderfully stable and straight dive, directly towards the gasbag. Slight right rudder and opposite aileron allowed me to sideslip nicely, and in the vicinity of the enemy's sausage, to pepper it with a healthy volley of lead from the Lewis. It began to steam and hiss and puff bizzarely, reminding me of those old spinsters in fairy tales who grow red with rage if a waltz is declined them by a potential suitor. Here the balloon now roared and erupted in flames, as if to affirm my association of ideas - the remaining debris, now on fire, sinking below.

Not wishing to expose myself to enemy rifle fire, I put the Bristol into a good climb and turned further southwest, slightly towards our lines. I was at an alt. of about 800 m when I had my top left wing pinged by a bullet that also made a ringing sound since it managed to sever one of the strengthening cables too - I now climbed more cautiosly, but, noticing that no seriously permanent damage had been inflicted upon the scout - I opened the rotary and made my escape, to follow the lines of trenches immediately south of the River Lys, and to do some spotting of enemy positions. The clouds were by now slightly more congested, although with the winds still behaving well, when I pointed the nose of the Type C more to the west, and closer to the German 'drome near Loos.

Here I am sure that I loitered for a good 10 mins., observing the enemy 'drome carefully, at an alt. of about 1700 m, before entering a dive at half-throttle towards another German balloon that was now visible, and located immediately south. I let off no more than about 10 or 15 rounds, but this gasbag erupted in a tremendous ball of fire, the likes of which I had never seen before. Fortunately, the Bristol remained undamaged and I ascended again to safer altitudes, and did a few more wide circles in the area - during which Aldridge's and Rowena's Parasols were spotted, emerging from between a break in two large clouds, and about 300 m above me. Soon, eight bombs in total were dropping on and around the German 'drome - during which I observed several small plumes of smoke below, next to some of the tents, and also further behind, towards sheds in the vicinity. All three of us then joined up, with Aldridge leading the way and I following slightly behind, and below, to make certain that no enemy aeroplanes would surprise us this early in the morning.

Comfortable in my sturdy Bristol, I dove more quickly once I spotted our 'drome and alighted rather close to one of our hangars, rolling to a stop. The Parasols were soon to follow my example, but with a more subtle dive, so as not to lose their only set of wings. It was still not 6:00 am when I mentioned my claims in the flight office, for the Aviatik near the lines, and the two German balloons. 'And don't forget to list us as witnesses, Major,' was Sgt. Aldridge's remark - he was already in the flight office too, and removing his flight gear. 'Indeed, and you mean to say that you spotted the balloon north of Lille as well, once it lit up, Sgt.?' - I queried. 'Why, yes, Major, we were close to the lines as well by then and proceeding southwards,' he responded. A robust breakfast followed, made complete with Mother Purdy's Orange Marmalade, and that Henderson had sent to us from Brighton, from which he was now enjoying a slightly extended leave, and to recuperate fully from his shoulder wound.

'Good thing that Ltn. Henderson is from Brighton, Major, otherwise we'd have to wait much longer for a normal supply of marmelade,' commented Sgt. Rowena. 'Yes, and his trip across the Channel was also favorable, with good weather prevailing,' I responded - 'hopefully, the return trip will be equally tame; I've also written to him that, if possible, he go up either to Farnborough or Hendon, to see if he can procure a couple of Be.2c types for us, since the 2b variant that our adjoining 'drome sometimes uses for spotting is a real clunker and horribly slow - and, besides, we could do with one or two extra two-seaters. I have found that the Parasols are rather tiring and pernicious to fly.' In this way I explained my reasoning to the Sgts., during our proper breakfast, and also informed them that a second Bristol Scout would arrive over the next day or two - an announcement that was received with great delight.

We were all to fly again, later in the day, and as we had planned out after breakfast - but the weather was now not cooperating as fully. More ominous-looking clouds had rolled in by the afternoon, although with slight breaks and favorable, soothing winds at times. Into one of these breaks Ltn. Aldridge and his observer ascended, to engage in some brief spotting of German batteries close to Messines. I, on the other hand, was rung up by our C.O., Salmond Sr., and told 'not to dare taking the Type C into the changing and worsening weather, or I would be the one worse for wear.' Fortunately, some mail came in for me around this time, and I was happy to see included in the small pile a perfumed letter from Lady Harbury.

She was planning a burlesque performance in Paris, at a date to be determined later, most likely either in June or July, and was informally, and already, inviting me. 'I do hope, however, Major, that you will do me the honor of visiting much earlier - for we have so many topics to touch upon. Most sincerely, Clarissa.' I read the letter again and again, and took in the pleasant nuance of the perfume as well, with its hint of myrrh, rosewood, something else too that I could not put my finger on. 'Most exotic, this ethereal woman,' I silently noted in my mind - 'I shall have to think up a bit of leave for myself, indubitably, but at a more opportune moment, perhaps once Henderson returns.'

With my rigger, I wiled away the remaining hrs. of the day, looking over the repairs on the wing of my Type C, and perusing the latest edition of Flight, ever on the lookout for the enemy's tricks and developments. But, as evening fell, the telephone in our flight office began ringing again, and the day closed with a mixed set of developments - and a steady curtain of rain falling. I was delighted that all four of my claims had been confirmed, which included the balloon near Vimy, of the mission of the 27th of May. We were all glum, however, including our cook (who is usually in high spirits) - to learn that Sgt. Aldridge's Parasol had crashed on our side of the lines, after being hit by enemy flak.

The explosion, we were informed, took place slightly below and to the back of the fuselage, with Aldridge's observer, Cptn. Dickbury, taking it in rather deep - wounded in both legs from the shrapnel, and Aldridge suffering a broken shoulder in the ensuing and semi-controlled crash. They had already been transported to a field hospital and would most certainly be out of action for quite some time, with the observer, depending on how his wounds healed, most likely to fly only a desk in the future. The Parasol was largely destroyed, with nothing of value to salvage and repair, save for the rudder - and that would be transported to our 'drome, by lorry, on the 29th.

This peculiarity was owing to our somewhat eccentric C.O., who firmly believed that, among other things, a surplus of rudder assemblies was the best way of winning an aerial war with the Germans.
-----

Von S smile

[Linked Image]

Attached Files pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpgpic4.jpgpic5.jpgpic6.jpgpic7.jpgpic8.jpgpic9.jpgpic10.jpgpic11.jpgpic12.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 05/26/20 02:59 AM. Reason: Embedded pic. for atmosphere.

// FE2 on a Mac (https://tinyurl.com/FE2onMac) // WOFF on a Mac (https://tinyurl.com/WOFFonMac) // FE2 FMs (https://tinyurl.com/FE2fms) // WOFF FMs (https://tinyurl.com/WOFFfms) // WOTR FMs (https://tinyurl.com/WOTRfms) // WOFF GPU Tuner (https://tinyurl.com/WOFFgputuner) // WOTR GPU Tuner (https://tinyurl.com/WOTRgputuner) // All VonS WOFF/WOTR mods. are tweaks of files that are © OBD Software. //
#4516133 - 04/13/20 05:08 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Mission No. 14 for Major Dobson

(note: BB's ver. 3.0 clouds installed, "full weather" variant; JJJ's MultiMod ver. 2.1 in use; 1.4/1.2/1.1.1 WOFF GPU Tuner Patch combo. installed; wind settings in MultiMod being tested are currently at horizontal full, turbulence medium, vertical low; also in use now finally is JJJ's latest Mission Editor - with the weather setting tweaked to "manual/and apply settings," as per BB's cloud type loaded, to get full weather and wind effects - no other settings are being used in the Mission Ed.)

-----
On the morning of the 29th, around 7 am, we were rung up and it was urged, by our C.O., that we undertake a bombing run on some of the German batteries close to Neuve-Chapelle, also further south and parallel to Lens. I begrudgingly accepted the advice, although the weather was somewhat unstable after the rain of the night before, and I would have preferred that our men do a shorter, routine observation of the lines closer to our 'drome. A trio of Parasols was soon made ready, each one to carry four 20 kg bombs, and with their pilots to be Ltn. Knight, Sgt. Rowena, who went up with me the previous day, and a new fellow, Sgt. Thompson, who, though fresh from flight school and training, seemed a natural flyer. Thompson's observer was also a new character, an N.C.O. called George "Tweely" Johnson, who was rather keen to go on a mission and to try out the Lewis M.G. He was also most interested in becoming a flyer himself, but I suggested that he first remain, for a time, posted as observer, to improve his skill at marksmanship before we pondered over the question of his being enrolled for flight training. 'I can always use more airmen, Tweely,' was my response - 'but they are doubly valuable as skilled gunners.' I would, as per standard established procedure by now, keep company in my Bristol Scout, with freedom given to roam in case I observed any sporting action, as offered by the enemy.

The winds picked up slightly by the time all four of us ascended, but the situation was still manageable. The Bristol retained good control in the sombre weather - although, I was sure, the Parasols would now be a handful to fly, for the other three fellows. I cut throttle to four-fifths power, so as to allow the Parasols to overtake me - and I followed them down, slightly, to below Armentieres - whereupon they were signalled to proceed with their bombing run, while I swung the scout's nose eastwards and passed over the lines immediately south of the River Lys. The idea was that I rejoin them around the German batteries closer to Lens - and that we then proceed back, en masse, to Bailleul Asylum, for I was certain that in the increasingly cloudy weather they would be well-hidden from any enemy aeroplanes, if there were any in the vicinity today. I also took advantage of the cloud cover, and chose, as my first target, a German observation balloon above Lille. I would thereby, by disrupting enemy balloons behind the lines, divert attention away from our Parasols that were moving south towards their destination around the enemy batteries. And besides, I would rather have any enemy aeroplanes try to chase me - for I could attempt to escape with my superior speed, and to engage at will - while the Parasols would have no choice but to defend themselves as best they could.

And so I proceeded forth, diving on the balloon above Lille, at about half-throttle, and doing a nice sideslip near it, peppering it handsomely with several rounds from my Lewis M.G. Soon it lit up, with its fragments scattering above the red-colored roofs of various houses below. I then made my way as quickly as possible to the German 'drome south of Loos, and that we had attacked the previous day. All was still quiet and sleepy at this 'drome, and I buzzed over it at an alt. of about 1000 m, doing a slight turn to the left, and a direct descent on the observation balloon there. A new one had already sprung up since our escapade of the day before, and now this one came crashing down in an inferno, too - with occasional rifle fire heard from below, but of no significance since I was again climbing steeply, and pointing the Bristol's nose further south - towards two other enemy 'dromes that were in the vicinity. I went dangerously low above the meadows, to remain out of sight for as long as possible, and flew over the westernmost of these two aerodromes, and at full throttle, emptying several rounds from the M.G. at a few of the German aeroplanes that were parked below. They appeared to be some experimental types, single-seaters, with equal span wings, two sets of them, and a fairly thin tail and rudder assembly. Never before had I seen such types and would report this to HQ upon arrival at Bailleul Asylum.

I did not remain to investigate more thoroughly but escaped in a wide, ascending turn to the left - which brought a third balloon directly into my sights. This one was soon on fire as well, and descending at a fine rate. Still at full throttle, and with the Bristol displaying wonderful flying characteristics even with the increasing winds, I continued directly towards Lens and dropped on a fourth observation balloon that was near the northern edge of the town. I passed this one at half-throttle, applying left rudder when necessary, and damaging it with several volleys from my M.G. before exiting the sector. Turning back, I could see that this balloon was on fire as well, emitting black smoke, but I did not bother to stay for the explosion.

Instead, I was already climbing steadily, soon to pass over the lines close to Lens, where several of the enemy's batteries, and our own, were located. I did remain on the German side of the lines for about 10 mins., however, flying through several ascending circles, to wait for the arrival of my trio of Parasols - but the clouds were quickly becoming heavier and even more congested. Not a single Parasol was spotted; but I still remained for several mins. in the vicinity - and, again, nothing. Realising that it was now most prudent to leave, I proceeded directly towards the lines and made my way at maddening speeds, of close to 180 kph in a gradual descent, towards the small French 'drome located slightly southwest of Bethune - and that I had visited several missions ago. Cap.'n Lefebve was on leave; but he had left the 'drome in the capable hands of Ltn. Fortenant, who cordially greeted me and suggested that I stay for some coffee and freshly baked Crêpes Suzette D'Au Revoir, as well as to discuss, briefly, the Bristol Scout Type C - since my crate was now ogled wherever it alighted. I promised to drop by for several hours on one of my future runs, but that now, owing to the continuously worsening weather, it was best that I refuel and return to our own 'drome as soon as possible.

An hour or so later I was back at Bailleul Asylum, as were the trio of Parasols. They had indeed become disoriented in the clouds - particularly the new fellow, Sgt. Thompson, but I was in a good mood and did not chastise them. Salmond Sr., on the other hand, was much more irritated and rang us up, suggesting that we do a 'jolly better job next time' with our bombing runs because only a few structures, of no significance really, were reported as having been hit near the German batteries further south. I somehow managed to calm him down, and the telephone conversation was not a prolonged one on this occasion.

'Soon it would be time for lunch and some reading of technical journals,' I thought to myself - but first to remove this flight gear, also the whale oil from my face, and to wire in my claims while still in the flight office, for four enemy gasbags. Also eagerly awaiting me was the latrine. The exhalation from natural oils of the LeRhone is good, I embarrassingly admitted to myself - at making a man most punctual, usually at the same hour, and every day. The more RPMs on the engine, and the greater the duration of such maximal RPMs, the thinner the vapor of oil being emitted, and in this manner the more regular you become - right proper and synchronized as a trench watch, by Tissot.
-----

Von S smile

[Linked Image]

Attached Files pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpgpic4.jpgpic5.jpgpic6.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 05/26/20 03:00 AM. Reason: Embedded pic. for atmosphere.

// FE2 on a Mac (https://tinyurl.com/FE2onMac) // WOFF on a Mac (https://tinyurl.com/WOFFonMac) // FE2 FMs (https://tinyurl.com/FE2fms) // WOFF FMs (https://tinyurl.com/WOFFfms) // WOTR FMs (https://tinyurl.com/WOTRfms) // WOFF GPU Tuner (https://tinyurl.com/WOFFgputuner) // WOTR GPU Tuner (https://tinyurl.com/WOTRgputuner) // All VonS WOFF/WOTR mods. are tweaks of files that are © OBD Software. //
#4517877 - 04/24/20 03:50 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Mission No. 15 for Major Dobson & Company

(notes: additions for mission no. 15 include JJJ's realistically-populated airfields mod, with setting enabled only for "static aircraft" on fields, instead of all 'drome aircraft populated; as well included is the consolidated facilities mod by PR and RJW; also set is manual winds setting in Mission Ed., for BB's clouds ver. 3.0 full winds/clouds effects to work; further addition is Xjouve's max.-undulating terrains mod., ver. 1.0, with no noticeable drop in FPS and wonderful terrains; as always, GPU Tuner Patch enabled, as indicated in previous posts, etc.; will try out Xjouve's ver. 2.01 max.-undulating terrains mod. in future missions)

(Next several missions will shift to focus on Rittmeister Kiener's adventures up at Ghistelles.)

-----
Around two o'clock in the afternoon, of the 29th, while I was reading my technical journals after lunch, Salmond Sr. wired us with orders directly from HQ this time, and that I provide cover for one of our Parasols, to be flown by the seasoned Ltn. Strugnell - the goal being a bit of spotting of enemy troop positions south of Vimy, and along the lines there. Rowena, Knight, and the new fellow, Thompson, were at our other, adjoining 'drome in the meantime, after their morning outing - to engage in some bombing practice and in cooperation with the scarce supply of Be.2b types stationed there - which, hopefully, would be replaced soon by the newer Be.2c. I was also still awaiting a reply from Henderson, in Blighty - with regards to his attempt at procuring such two-seater types for us.

Our ascent, of the Bristol and Strugnell's Parasol, was uneventful enough, with my throttle cut to four-fifths power so that I would not overtake the Ltn. in his Parasol, and, with only light winds and some encroaching clouds accompanying us, nothing of any significance troubled us on this flight. The Bristol was again performing beautifully, with a strong and steady climb, and with me taking the opportunity to observe lovely, rolling hills slightly to the east of our 'drome - and that I had previously not had the pleasure of contemplating, since most of my flights had been taking place rather early in the mornings. These two undulating and symmetrical hills, I would learn later in the day from one of our fitters, were on the property of Monsieur Trouvers, a noted landscape architect and part-time hydrologist responsible for some irrigation system improvements, at the turn of the century, in the Netherlandish lowlands.

I soon signalled to Strugnell that he proceed on course, while I veered eastwards and passed over the lines slightly north of Neuve-Chapelle, dropping down stealthily at half-throttle and to harrass the westernmost German 'drome located above Lens - that I had flown over earlier in the day. To my surprise, the several, thin-tailed aeroplanes spotted previously were no longer present at the 'drome, but, instead, parked on its edge were two of those lumbering Aviatiks that occasionally come across to observe our batteries, sometimes venturing as far as Armentieres and our own aerodromes. I considered that now was an excellent situation presenting itself - to put this duo of crates out of commission - and so it was done. Multiple dives were made in the sturdy Bristol, with the Lewis M.G. cracking away and sending several volleys at the types. Intermittent return fire from a German M.G. was heard below, but I was not mindful of the sound and, after another few circles in the vicinity, I noticed clearly that the wings on both Aviatiks were seriously damaged, with entire ailerons and portions of the planes missing. 'What success!,' I here thought to myself - 'these fools will not be found aloft for quite some time, perhaps to be scrapped for spare parts entirely.'

I then pointed the nose of my Scout towards a newly-erected enemy gasbag south of the 'drome, and made sure to light it up rather well. I, however, did not stay to enjoy the fireworks but floated further south, over and above Lens, whereupon I dropped on another balloon, also a fresh one that had sprung up since this morning - and knocked this one down as well, before loitering in the vicinity for several minutes. Overheard then was a light buzzing above me, and what should emerge but Ltn. Strugnell's Parasol - to spot for enemy troops in the area of the lines south of Vimy, where I was soon as well located. I followed about 200 meters below, and slightly behind, making several detailed observations of the sky, to ascertain that no German aeroplanes were up this afternoon. And, eventually, the Parasol having completed its task - we joined up - flying back on roughly the same level, which I thought a wise choice, considering that the clouds were once again piling up at higher alts. above 1500 m and slightly reducing our visibility.

Once over the lines, I signalled the Ltn. again that he proceed directly for Bailleul Asylum, while I headed for one of our 'dromes immediately north of the Lys, and where I had the pleasure of alighting already on a few occasions. My petrol was running low and I was to refuel there. At the aerodrome, while waiting for the fitter and rigger to organize themselves, I spotted a hole in the fabric on my top wing, as well as another, smaller one on the left side of the fuselage, in front of the cockpit; it was concluded that the repairs could all be done in a couple of hours. 'That bullet hole there came rather close, eh, whad'ya think of that, Major?,' finally asked one of the riggers. 'Well, now that I think about it,' my response was uttered in a measured tone - 'I believe you are right, although I wasn't even aware of that hole while flying along.' 'And better for your wits that you weren't,' came the reply from this talkative and smart fellow, but I did not offer a comment in return. Also overheard above the 'drome, while these repairs were under way, was a grating and reverberating sound, as of a damaged engine, followed by a shrill whistling and then a muted crash, somewhere, further in the distance. 'An enemy's 'crate dropping, you reckon', Major?,' asked the rigger again. 'Could be anyone,' was my reply - 'one of theirs, maybe one of ours, no way of telling now since we spotted nothing, and strangely with no smoke or debris from the crash site either, but I will make enquires at Bailleul Asylum.'

By evening, with repairs on the Scout complete, I was back at our 'drome, to be greeted by Ltn. Strugnell who was loitering near the flight office, a pleasant sight and much to my relief. 'Glad it wasn't you Ltn. who went down a couple of hours earlier - did you hear it too?,' was my first question upon alighting. 'Certainly did, Major,' came the response - 'an Aviatik or Albatros of some kind, plugged nicely by Partridge & Leavington, signature piece really, and corkscrewed down in a ball of fire somewhere around Messines.' 'Well that explains why I didn't see anything either, and, pray tell, who or what is this mysterious duo of Partridge & Leavington?,' I queried.

'Why, those two fellows are Ltn. Partridge, don't know his first name, Sir, and Captain Rory Leavington, his observer and a crack shot if there ever was one; they fly over us sometimes, usually in the morning when you engage in your dawn runs - they are stationed at one of our 'dromes further north. Never met them personally, but they've been mentioned in the military despatches as early as December of 1914,' was Strugnell's lengthy response. 'Well, indeed - I'll have to start reading the despatches more thoroughly in the future,' I concluded, before proceeding to wire in my claims for the two balloons and also for my little experiment at the enemy 'drome, with its two demolished Aviatiks. Also submitted to HQ was my spotting of the several and original, double-winged aircraft earlier in the morning at the same German 'drome.*

Later in the day a telephone call was waiting for me in the flight office, with his eminence Salmond Sr. at the other end. One of my balloons from the morning flight was rejected, as were, oddly, the two balloons of the afternoon escapade - with more abundant cloud cover being mentioned as the culprit that made verification impossible - but the duo of stationary Aviatiks was granted, and our C.O. most pleased with my attack on the German 'drome. I now had a total of nine confirmed victories, and, as suggested by Salmond Sr., my afternoon flight would be cited soon in the despatches of The Gazette - 'worthy of a short citation at any rate, Dobson! - and you will be receiving the DSO for this,' Salmond added - 'I trust that it will be excellent motivation for more of your examples of forward action; now, do carry on and please do not wreck that Bristol. One more is due to arrive tomorrow at your aerodrome, and perhaps Henderson can fly it once he returns from leave.' Here the telephone call abruptly terminated.

Admittedly, I was rather surprised by the turn of events, especially considering that, with the DSO, I would soon have opportunity for some leave. A trip to Paris, perhaps; after all, it was the gentlemanly thing to do, and Lady Harbury would not have it otherwise. All sorts of ideas piled up in my head, ideas which I rounded out, before turning in for the night - by listening to a record on the phonograph, of a duet between Caruso and Geraldine Farrar, and by imagining, to the sound of their voices, the smell of Linden trees in a light spring rain.
-----

Editor's note:

* These aeroplanes that disappeared from the westernmost German aerodrome above Lens, by the afternoon of May the 29th, 1915, would prove to be prototypes for the Halberstadt D.I, itself a testbed for the better-known Halb. D.II of 1916.
-----

Von S smile

[Linked Image]

Attached Files thedrome.jpgtheaviatiks.jpgballoon1.jpgballoon2.jpgpanorama1.jpgpanorama2.jpgpanorama3.jpgconfirmed.jpgthedso.jpgprototype.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 05/26/20 03:03 AM. Reason: Embedded pic. for atmosphere.

#4519095 - 05/02/20 01:39 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Great reading as always VonS

"Vis unita fortior"

"United Strength is Stronger"
#4519762 - 05/06/20 06:13 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Much appreciated Adger - a bit busy with some modding currently but hope to get back to the casual campaigns eventually, or perhaps to do batches of several missions, and then to write up lengthier strings of reports ... perhaps in eBook format, will think about the endless possibilities - WOFF is a great novel generator.

Happy flying all,
Von S

#4520793 - 05/13/20 08:44 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Brief updates to this thread - missions have again commenced, with mission no. 8 for Ritt. Kiener now flown - have also "translated" the mission postings so far available into a "B6" sized page format in OpenOffice - and it gives me a nice, healthy 145 pages or so - so I will continue flying and writing - will see if I can get to about 200 or 300 pages, providing that Dobson and Kiener survive - 1915 is becoming a busy year it seems the further it unfolds. Will decide eventually on what to do with the reports - currently editing the Dobson entries to reference feet and pounds instead of meters and kg. Maybe a nice, soft-cover book - or at any rate an eBook - perhaps an experimental novel, light on character development but big on flying and cameo appearances. And of course Lady Harbury. Will keep this thread fresh as best I can - WOFF sure is a hoot. In the meantime, here are a few new screenies from mission no. 8.

Happy flying,
Von S smile2

The Aviatik most ready for our spotting mission.
[Linked Image]

The Aviatik in an even more ready state.
[Linked Image]

Dropped down towards the Lys, with Hutzenlaub, before alighting.
[Linked Image]

'Drome above Menen provides excellent service, with the fitters already waiting for uninvited guests.
[Linked Image]

Pleased to see fitters, riggers, and other hands taking regular morning exercise at this 'drome (and there comes Hutzenlaub, to land).
[Linked Image]

Attached Files aviatikready.jpgaviatikveryready.jpgtheriver.jpgmenendrome.jpgtakingexercise.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 05/13/20 08:53 PM. Reason: Embedded pics. and comments for atmosphere.

#4520798 - 05/13/20 09:36 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Quality as always VonS, an Ebook of your work would imo be a fantastic idea.

"Vis unita fortior"

"United Strength is Stronger"
#4520814 - 05/14/20 02:40 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
rtoolooze262 Offline
rtoolooze262  Offline

Mo. USA
Yes, or even a soft cover. I definitely enjoy reading them!

#4520997 - 05/15/20 06:20 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
dawnpatrol Offline
dawnpatrol  Offline

What mod is it that adds people to the airfields?

Thanks for great stories of your pilots!

#4521001 - 05/15/20 06:31 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: dawnpatrol]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Thanks gents' for the kind words regarding the casual campaigns tales.

@dawnpatrol, that would be the large, multi-part "consolidated custom facilities" mod. by Rob Wiggins and company, available on Sandbagger's site at the link below:

http://www.thatoneplease.co/airfieldsWOFF.html

I recommend going through the "Read Me" available there at the top of the page, first, since some of the parts are only for the UE ed. of WOFF, others for PE (also the order of installation is important).

Happy flying,
Von S smile2

Last edited by VonS; 05/15/20 06:38 PM. Reason: Added info.

#4521341 - 05/18/20 06:07 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Mission No. 9 now flown for Ritt. Kiener - largely a washout in bad weather but at least our Aviatiks stayed in one piece. Some gloomy pics. attached below. Tale already written up, and now it's on to mission No. 10 - will see how the next several missions pan out - perhaps to send Kiener on some well-deserved leave, if possible, and get back to the Johnny Dobson RFC1 adventures. Will make sure not to send both on leave at the same time. biggrin

Happy flying all,
Von S

Following our two Aviatiks down to Aartrijke, just in case their engines fail
[Linked Image]

Resting and refuelling awhile at the 'drome above Sint-Eloois, before returning to Ghistelles
[Linked Image]

Attached Files aviatiks.jpgaviatiks2.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 05/18/20 06:10 PM. Reason: Embedded a couple of pics. for atmosphere.

#4521355 - 05/18/20 08:02 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Nice 'n moody those screen caps!

I just flew my first live Twitch TV mission. Back in my beloved Halberstadt smile You can catch a replay here if you're interested

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/624891133

Had to downscale to 720p but it looks pretty nice for all that. I'm really liking the combo of Xjouve's water mod and terrain mod, Bob's cloud mod and your very own scenery enhancement mod. They make for a great atmosphere I think. No EA encounters, but still fun for me smile

Last edited by HarryH; 05/18/20 08:02 PM.

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4521478 - 05/19/20 05:02 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: HarryH]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Originally Posted by HarryH
I'm really liking the combo of Xjouve's water mod and terrain mod, Bob's cloud mod and your very own scenery enhancement mod. They make for a great atmosphere I think. No EA encounters, but still fun for me smile

Great vid. Harry, had some opportunity to check it over today. I'm also impressed by Xjouve's developments, and BB's cloud mod. is a must-have for immersion. I might eventually switch to flying regularly with more of Xjouve's enhancements (the global layer file, sub-theater water maps, land cover mod CLC variant, also his in-flight maps, the older ver. ones that show balloon and 'drome locations with the modified frontlines) - but I'm currently waiting for more refinements to the water maps since they drop my fps noticeably, by about 50 or so.

I do however recommend his improved mesh/terrain maps as must-haves already - either the super high "ver. 1.0" or the max. detail "ver. 2.0" variant - no hit on fps and greatly improves the depth of the WOFF landscapes.

Happy flying,
Von S smile2

#4521859 - 05/22/20 03:38 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Mission No. 10 now flown for Ritt. Kiener and company. More Aviatiks dropping or disappearing on us in cloud cover. Tale now written up and on to the next mission. On a more positive note, Kiener bagged two more balloons this time, bringing his total to 13 - and a new medal, the Order of St. Heinrichs. Some representative pics. below.

Von S smile2

Patrolling behind Unteroffizier Berg's ill-fated Aviatik, near Ypres
[Linked Image]

A real pounding taking place immediately north of the Lys
[Linked Image]

Excellent service by fitters and riggers even at the 'drome immediately south of Sint-Eloois
[Linked Image]

Ritt. Kiener's new pretty medal, Order of St. Heinrichs
[Linked Image]

Attached Files illfatedbergflight.jpgpoundingabovethelys.jpgdromesouthofsinteloois.jpgnewaward.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 05/22/20 03:43 AM. Reason: Embedded pics. for atmosphere.

#4522121 - 05/23/20 05:49 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: Evochron]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Originally Posted by Evochron
I think from the pics you aren't using the cloud mod? I mean the 2.0 here:
http://www.thatoneplease.co/skyWOFF.html

A long-delayed followup to this good post. Have now flown with the "4L0M" higher-resolution clouds loaded up - and I've had good results with the "ver. 2.0" pack that is included. The ver. 1.0 pack that gives 2048 x 2048 pixel clouds, gives an fps hit of about 10 or so on my rig. The ver. 2.0 pack that upgrades all clouds to 1024 x 1024 pixels (in stock install, there is a mix of 512 and 1024 sized clouds) - works just fine and I noticed no fps drop - so I will be flying with that pack regularly. Also works great in WOTR too, with no fps drop there either - but make sure to rename the main folder/directory if installing the patch via JSGME in WOTR.

EDIT: For those running the excellent Gecko patch for water texture quality, as per the relevant posts under the mods threads (the Xjouve ones regarding terrains) - I'm getting good results, with no fps drop, with the 2MB-sized textures (stock water texture is half a MB - but included in the pack are 1MB, 2MB, and 4MB sizes).

Happy flying,
Von S smile2

Last edited by VonS; 05/23/20 06:59 PM. Reason: Added info.

#4524058 - 06/06/20 03:58 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Quick update to the thread again...missions nos. 11 and 12 now flown for Ritt. Kiener. The late Nov. weather is becoming awful (thank you BB for the ver. 3.0 cloud mod biggrin ). Rain mixed with snow, also flying postponed for several days, until the 2nd of Dec. Of other interesting happenings - two pilots have returned from leave, Ghistelles has also received an extra Eindecker and Aviatik in the meantime. Hauptmann Hutzenlaub crash-landed on the 30th - and again managed to get back to our side of the lines. That man has all the luck.

Hardly any contact with enemy aircraft over the last few flights - except for harassing of enemy balloons. Kiener was also to be awarded a second Blue Max upon his 14th or 15th victory but this was cancelled at the last minute and he still has only one Blue Max - possibly an error at HQ with the double Pour le Merite fiasco.

Detailed reports now written up and the novel is progressing nicely...up to about 180 pages so far. Will fly another couple of missions for the Rittmeister before moving back to the Johnny Dobson adventures - perhaps a spot of leave for Kiener if he stays intact. Will load the excellent and big, global layer ver. 2.0 pack that Xjouve has created (see relevant thread under the mods section), for the next couple of flights, to see how it functions. Some gloomy and representative pics. below of the most recent flights - wonderful late Nov. rain and sleet. Nothing like catching a few of those ice pellets behind the neck, while flying at 10,000 feet, to wake one up in the morning.

Happy flying all,
Von S smile2

Coming around the gasbag above Ypres before deflating it from the side (for more target area)
[Linked Image]

The 'drome north of St-Eloois is always a convenient spot to touch down when low on fuel
[Linked Image]

There comes Hutzenlaub again, to land (he always flies with Kiener and has so far lasted considerably longer than the two fellows who flew with the late v. Pranz - Krebs and Seelig)
[Linked Image]

Attached Files therain.jpgmorerain.jpghutzenlaub.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/06/20 04:03 AM. Reason: Embedded pics. for atmosphere.

#4524066 - 06/06/20 04:50 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Dark and foreboding skies, indeed! The full version of my mod in effect!

Now, if only the brass hats had the sense not to send you up in that kind of weather!

#4524783 - 06/10/20 07:15 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Was tinkering a bit over the last few days with Xjouve's excellent, big "Global Layer Mod & Co" (available under the mods thread) - and then I also revisited the big, total water map (ver. 1.1) that Xjouve released previously.

If you would like to increase FPS noticeably using the total water map, do the following:

a) download the total water map package ver. 1.1 (from the relevant mods. thread)

b) extract package

c) go into the OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields/terrains/cfs3hyp (zipped) folder

d) toggle the "size" column of the cfs3hyp window to display file sizes, ordered from largest to smallest size

e) select all files from the biggest sized one (about 1400 KB or so), all the way down to the ones that are slightly above 270 KB in size, and then delete all of those files

f) this will leave available only 270 KB and smaller-sized files that follow the template-name "hyp00000x00000.cel"

g) the result is that a few larger bodies of water will be removed everywhere, as well as the flooding saturation way up above around Niewpoort and west of Ghistelles will be reduced (ave. FPS should jump up by about 20 or so this way)

h) you will still be left with tributaries, streams, several rivers, etc., including the flooding up north but in reduced form - better than no water mod. at all and no big hit on FPS this way

i) sizes in KB referenced above are for the files in zipped form, in the zipped cfs3hyp folder (no need to unzip before deleting the files with the sizes mentioned above)

Representative pics. below. Hope to get back into flying (and writing) the casual campaigns soon.

Von S smile2

FPS maintained on approach to water concentrations
[Linked Image]

Fairly stable FPS again as we pass the flooding close to the coast up north (flooded areas slightly less prominent using my tips included in this post)
[Linked Image]

Some action around Niewpoort and the waterways but still no major drop in FPS
[Linked Image]

Below we are in the area around Lens, Bethune, etc., the good thing about this "lite" tweak of Xjouve total water ver. 1.1 is that there is not too much intersecting between the stock River Lys and other rivers/tributaries (the "lite" tweak of the water map works fine both with Xjouve's Global Layer package and also with stock WOFF terrain - pic below is with stock terrain)
[Linked Image]

Went for a drink and still fairly stable FPS maintained (even if FPS drop briefly with this "lite" tweak, they spool up again more quickly than if you install the full ver. of the 1.1 water map)
[Linked Image]

(Did not bother testing with the ver. 2.0 sub-theaters water maps since I find it more convenient now just to load my "lite" tweak of total water ver. 1.1. EDIT: have now tested the "lite" tweak as applied to the regional, ver. 2.0 water patches by Xjouve, and it doesn't improve FPS as much as when the tweak is applied to ver. 1.1 - if anything, most bodies of water disappear if the tweak is applied to ver. 2.0, with no benefit of higher fps. I therefore recommend applying the tweak only to ver. 1.1.)

Attached Files pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpgpic4.jpgpic5.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/15/20 11:23 PM. Reason: Embedded pics.

#4526256 - 06/19/20 04:29 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Quick update to this thread: As a follow-up to the post above, have run the "lite" tweak of Xjouve's ver. 1.1 water mod. for Ritt. Kiener's mission no. 13, and fps hold up well, even in bad weather (heavy rain) - and with the added immersion of more water.

Representative pics. below, including a pretty new medal for Kiener that now allows for the "Ritter von" to be added to his name - certificate of nobility. smile2 A challenging mission against two Nieup. one-seaters, but eventually the Eindeckers got the upper hand. Missions continue to be written up - and the book is now up to about 220 pages in length - will continue with the writing since it's stimulating and the two alternating pilots are still alive, wherever the missions may land us (pun intended).

Stock terrains still being used, but with improved terrain bump map by Xjouve (ver. 2.0) and the "lite" tweak of the total water mod. Hope to switch over soon to the Johnny Dobson adventures, and will think about loading up the Global Mod. ver. 2.x then too - with the black and white ver. 3.1 map - once it becomes compatible with JJJ's historical crates-at-airfields mod. Great sim. as always and happy flying all.

Von S

View of water-filled indentations below, close to the lines as we head south not too far from Ypres
[Linked Image]

Battling it out with two pesky Nieups. (type 10)
[Linked Image]

One is a flamer, nice view of the water-clogged indentations below (using the "lite" tweak of Xjouve's ver. 1.1 water mod patch)
[Linked Image]

Other fellow about to go into a tree at his 'drome
[Linked Image]

Order of Max Joseph, Bavarian award, and Kiener is now Rittmeister Eberhard Ritter von Kiener (a flashy title indeed, let's hope it doesn't go to his head)
[Linked Image]

Attached Files trenchmud.jpgtrenchmud2.jpggoodsmoking.jpgintothetree.jpgbavarianaward.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/19/20 04:41 AM. Reason: Embedded pics.

#4526509 - 06/20/20 06:55 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
Becker01 Offline
Becker01  Offline

Hallo @VonS,

I have tested your idea to delete the bigger files 1400 - 270kb. Yes, it has functioned. FPS is higher and more stabil. I will keep it in memory for a good and easy FPS-solution.

Greetings!

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Crack in a Bottle
by Bill_Grant. 09/28/20 01:46 PM
Games that you felt were too long?