Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
#4515598 - 04/10/20 04:13 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

(note: BB's ver. 3 clouds mod. activated, "full weather" variant; JJJ's MultiMod ver 2.1 in use; 1.4/1.2/1.1.1 WOFF GPU Tuner Patch combo. used; only change is horizontal winds being tested at full/default value, instead of moderate, in the Multimod; turbulence is still at moderate and vertical wind at low settings; max. fuel carried set to 80% in the sim. menu, to give about 2.5 hrs. max. flight in the Type C - will test OrbyxP's fuel consumption patch eventually)

[Narrative removed - see relevant update in the very first post of this "casual campaigns" thread for more info.]

Von S smile

[Linked Image]

Attached Files pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpgpic4.jpgpic5.jpgpic6.jpgpic7.jpgpic8.jpgpic9.jpgpic10.jpgpic11.jpgpic12.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 12:48 AM. Reason: Updated post.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4516133 - 04/13/20 05:08 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

(note: BB's ver. 3.0 clouds installed, "full weather" variant; JJJ's MultiMod ver. 2.1 in use; 1.4/1.2/1.1.1 WOFF GPU Tuner Patch combo. installed; wind settings in MultiMod being tested are currently at horizontal full, turbulence medium, vertical low; also in use now finally is JJJ's latest Mission Editor - with the weather setting tweaked to "manual/and apply settings," as per BB's cloud type loaded, to get full weather and wind effects - no other settings are being used in the Mission Ed.)

[Narrative removed - see relevant update in the very first post of this "casual campaigns" thread for more info.]

Von S smile

[Linked Image]

Attached Files pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpgpic4.jpgpic5.jpgpic6.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 12:49 AM. Reason: Updated post.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4517877 - 04/24/20 03:50 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

(notes: additions for mission no. 15 include JJJ's realistically-populated airfields mod, with setting enabled only for "static aircraft" on fields, instead of all 'drome aircraft populated; as well included is the consolidated facilities mod by PR and RJW; also set is manual winds setting in Mission Ed., for BB's clouds ver. 3.0 full winds/clouds effects to work; further addition is Xjouve's max.-undulating terrains mod., ver. 1.0, with no noticeable drop in FPS and wonderful terrains; as always, GPU Tuner Patch enabled, as indicated in previous posts, etc.; will try out Xjouve's ver. 2.01 max.-undulating terrains mod. in future missions)

Von S smile

[Linked Image]

Attached Files thedrome.jpgtheaviatiks.jpgballoon1.jpgballoon2.jpgpanorama1.jpgpanorama2.jpgpanorama3.jpgprototype.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 10:02 PM. Reason: Updated post.

#4519095 - 05/02/20 01:39 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Great reading as always VonS

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4519762 - 05/06/20 06:13 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Much appreciated Adger - a bit busy with some modding currently but hope to get back to the casual campaigns eventually, or perhaps to do batches of several missions, and then to write up lengthier strings of reports ... perhaps in eBook format, will think about the endless possibilities - WOFF is a great novel generator.

Happy flying all,
Von S

#4520793 - 05/13/20 08:44 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Brief updates to this thread - missions have again commenced - have also "translated" the mission postings so far available into a "B6" sized page format in OpenOffice - and it gives me a nice, healthy 145 pages or so - so I will continue flying and writing - will see if I can get to about 200 or 300 pages, providing that the pilots survive - 1915 is becoming a busy year it seems the further it unfolds. Will decide eventually on what to do with the reports - currently editing the RFC entries to reference feet and pounds instead of meters and kg. Maybe a nice, soft-cover book - or at any rate an eBook - perhaps an experimental novel, light on character development but big on flying and cameo appearances. Will keep this thread fresh as best I can - WOFF sure is a hoot. In the meantime, here are a few new screenies from the latest mission.

Happy flying,
Von S smile2

The Aviatik most ready for our spotting mission.
[Linked Image]

The Aviatik in an even more ready state.
[Linked Image]

Dropped down towards the Lys, before alighting.
[Linked Image]

'Drome above Menen provides excellent service, with the fitters already waiting for uninvited guests.
[Linked Image]

Pleased to see fitters, riggers, and other hands taking regular morning exercise at this 'drome.
[Linked Image]

Attached Files aviatikready.jpgaviatikveryready.jpgtheriver.jpgmenendrome.jpgtakingexercise.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 12:53 AM. Reason: Edited post.

#4520798 - 05/13/20 09:36 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Quality as always VonS, an Ebook of your work would imo be a fantastic idea.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4520814 - 05/14/20 02:40 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
rtoolooze262 Offline
rtoolooze262  Offline

Mo. USA
Yes, or even a soft cover. I definitely enjoy reading them!

#4520997 - 05/15/20 06:20 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
dawnpatrol Offline
dawnpatrol  Offline

What mod is it that adds people to the airfields?

Thanks for great stories of your pilots!

#4521001 - 05/15/20 06:31 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: dawnpatrol]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Thanks gents' for the kind words regarding the casual campaigns tales.

@dawnpatrol, that would be the large, multi-part "consolidated custom facilities" mod. by Rob Wiggins and company, available on Sandbagger's site at the link below:

http://www.thatoneplease.co/airfieldsWOFF.html

I recommend going through the "Read Me" available there at the top of the page, first, since some of the parts are only for the UE ed. of WOFF, others for PE (also the order of installation is important).

Happy flying,
Von S smile2

Last edited by VonS; 05/15/20 06:38 PM. Reason: Added info.

#4521341 - 05/18/20 06:07 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Latest mission now flown - largely a washout in bad weather but at least our Aviatiks stayed in one piece. Some gloomy pics. attached below. Tale already written up, and now it's on to the next mission - will see how the next several missions pan out - perhaps to send my pilot on some well-deserved leave, if possible, and get back to the RFC adventures. Will make sure not to send both on leave at the same time. biggrin

Happy flying all,
Von S

Following our two Aviatiks down to Aartrijke, just in case their engines fail
[Linked Image]

Resting and refuelling awhile at the 'drome above Sint-Eloois, before returning to Ghistelles
[Linked Image]

Attached Files aviatiks.jpgaviatiks2.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 12:55 AM. Reason: Edited post.

#4521355 - 05/18/20 08:02 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Nice 'n moody those screen caps!

I just flew my first live Twitch TV mission. Back in my beloved Halberstadt smile You can catch a replay here if you're interested

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/624891133

Had to downscale to 720p but it looks pretty nice for all that. I'm really liking the combo of Xjouve's water mod and terrain mod, Bob's cloud mod and your very own scenery enhancement mod. They make for a great atmosphere I think. No EA encounters, but still fun for me smile

Last edited by HarryH; 05/18/20 08:02 PM.

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4521478 - 05/19/20 05:02 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: HarryH]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Originally Posted by HarryH
I'm really liking the combo of Xjouve's water mod and terrain mod, Bob's cloud mod and your very own scenery enhancement mod. They make for a great atmosphere I think. No EA encounters, but still fun for me smile

Great vid. Harry, had some opportunity to check it over today. I'm also impressed by Xjouve's developments, and BB's cloud mod. is a must-have for immersion. I might eventually switch to flying regularly with more of Xjouve's enhancements (the global layer file, sub-theater water maps, land cover mod CLC variant, also his in-flight maps, the older ver. ones that show balloon and 'drome locations with the modified frontlines) - but I'm currently waiting for more refinements to the water maps since they drop my fps noticeably, by about 50 or so.

I do however recommend his improved mesh/terrain maps as must-haves already - either the super high "ver. 1.0" or the max. detail "ver. 2.0" variant - no hit on fps and greatly improves the depth of the WOFF landscapes.

Happy flying,
Von S smile2

#4521859 - 05/22/20 03:38 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

[Synopsis removed - see relevant update in the very first post of this "casual campaigns" thread for more info.]

Von S smile2

Patrolling behind an ill-fated Aviatik, near Ypres
[Linked Image]

A real pounding taking place immediately north of the Lys
[Linked Image]

Excellent service by fitters and riggers even at the 'drome immediately south of Sint-Eloois
[Linked Image]

Attached Files illfatedbergflight.jpgpoundingabovethelys.jpgdromesouthofsinteloois.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 03/25/23 05:21 PM. Reason: Edited post.

#4522121 - 05/23/20 05:49 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: Evochron]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Originally Posted by Evochron
I think from the pics you aren't using the cloud mod? I mean the 2.0 here:
http://www.thatoneplease.co/skyWOFF.html

A long-delayed followup to this good post. Have now flown with the "4L0M" higher-resolution clouds loaded up - and I've had good results with the "ver. 2.0" pack that is included. The ver. 1.0 pack that gives 2048 x 2048 pixel clouds, gives an fps hit of about 10 or so on my rig. The ver. 2.0 pack that upgrades all clouds to 1024 x 1024 pixels (in stock install, there is a mix of 512 and 1024 sized clouds) - works just fine and I noticed no fps drop - so I will be flying with that pack regularly. Also works great in WOTR too, with no fps drop there either - but make sure to rename the main folder/directory if installing the patch via JSGME in WOTR.

EDIT: For those running the excellent Gecko patch for water texture quality, as per the relevant posts under the mods threads (the Xjouve ones regarding terrains) - I'm getting good results, with no fps drop, with the 2MB-sized textures (stock water texture is half a MB - but included in the pack are 1MB, 2MB, and 4MB sizes).

Happy flying,
Von S smile2

Last edited by VonS; 05/23/20 06:59 PM. Reason: Added info.

#4524058 - 06/06/20 03:58 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Quick update to the thread again...latest missions now flown. The late Nov. weather is becoming awful (thank you BB for the ver. 3.0 cloud mod biggrin ).

Will load the excellent and big, global layer ver. 2.0 pack that Xjouve has created (see relevant thread under the mods section), for the next couple of flights, to see how it functions. Some gloomy and representative pics. below of the most recent flights - wonderful late Nov. rain and sleet. Nothing like catching a few of those ice pellets behind the neck, while flying at 10,000 feet, to wake one up in the morning.

Happy flying all,
Von S smile2

Coming around the gasbag above Ypres before deflating it from the side (for more target area)
[Linked Image]

The 'drome north of St-Eloois is always a convenient spot to touch down when low on fuel
[Linked Image]

Flight mate coming in to land
[Linked Image]

Attached Files therain.jpgmorerain.jpghutzenlaub.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 03:40 AM. Reason: Edited post.

#4524066 - 06/06/20 04:50 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Dark and foreboding skies, indeed! The full version of my mod in effect!

Now, if only the brass hats had the sense not to send you up in that kind of weather!

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4524783 - 06/10/20 07:15 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Was tinkering a bit over the last few days with Xjouve's excellent, big "Global Layer Mod & Co" (available under the mods thread) - and then I also revisited the big, total water map (ver. 1.1) that Xjouve released previously.

If you would like to increase FPS noticeably using the total water map, do the following:

a) download the total water map package ver. 1.1 (from the relevant mods. thread)

b) extract package

c) go into the OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields/terrains/cfs3hyp (zipped) folder

d) toggle the "size" column of the cfs3hyp window to display file sizes, ordered from largest to smallest size

e) select all files from the biggest sized one (about 1400 KB or so), all the way down to the ones that are slightly above 270 KB in size, and then delete all of those files

f) this will leave available only 270 KB and smaller-sized files that follow the template-name "hyp00000x00000.cel"

g) the result is that a few larger bodies of water will be removed everywhere, as well as the flooding saturation way up above around Niewpoort and west of Ghistelles will be reduced (ave. FPS should jump up by about 20 or so this way)

h) you will still be left with tributaries, streams, several rivers, etc., including the flooding up north but in reduced form - better than no water mod. at all and no big hit on FPS this way

i) sizes in KB referenced above are for the files in zipped form, in the zipped cfs3hyp folder (no need to unzip before deleting the files with the sizes mentioned above)

Representative pics. below. Hope to get back into flying (and writing) the casual campaigns soon.

Von S smile2

FPS maintained on approach to water concentrations
[Linked Image]

Fairly stable FPS again as we pass the flooding close to the coast up north (flooded areas slightly less prominent using my tips included in this post)
[Linked Image]

Some action around Niewpoort and the waterways but still no major drop in FPS
[Linked Image]

Below we are in the area around Lens, Bethune, etc., the good thing about this "lite" tweak of Xjouve total water ver. 1.1 is that there is not too much intersecting between the stock River Lys and other rivers/tributaries (the "lite" tweak of the water map works fine both with Xjouve's Global Layer package and also with stock WOFF terrain - pic below is with stock terrain)
[Linked Image]

Went for a drink and still fairly stable FPS maintained (even if FPS drop briefly with this "lite" tweak, they spool up again more quickly than if you install the full ver. of the 1.1 water map)
[Linked Image]

(Did not bother testing with the ver. 2.0 sub-theaters water maps since I find it more convenient now just to load my "lite" tweak of total water ver. 1.1. EDIT: have now tested the "lite" tweak as applied to the regional, ver. 2.0 water patches by Xjouve, and it doesn't improve FPS as much as when the tweak is applied to ver. 1.1 - if anything, most bodies of water disappear if the tweak is applied to ver. 2.0, with no benefit of higher fps. I therefore recommend applying the tweak only to ver. 1.1.)

Attached Files pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpgpic4.jpgpic5.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/15/20 11:23 PM. Reason: Embedded pics.

#4526256 - 06/19/20 04:29 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Quick update to this thread: As a follow-up to the post above, have run the "lite" tweak of Xjouve's ver. 1.1 water mod. for the latest mission and fps hold up well, even in bad weather (heavy rain) - and with the added immersion of more water.

Representative pics. below. Missions continue to be written up - and the book is now up to about 220 pages in length - will continue with the writing since it's stimulating and the two alternating pilots are still alive, wherever the missions may land us (pun intended).

Stock terrains still being used, but with improved terrain bump map by Xjouve (ver. 2.0) and the "lite" tweak of the total water mod. Hope to switch over soon to the RFC adventures, and will think about loading up the Global Mod. ver. 2.x then too - with the black and white ver. 3.1 map - once it becomes compatible with JJJ's historical crates-at-airfields mod. Great sim. as always and happy flying all.

Von S

View of water-filled indentations below, close to the lines as we head south not too far from Ypres
[Linked Image]

Battling it out with two pesky Nieups. (type 10)
[Linked Image]

One is a flamer, nice view of the water-clogged indentations below (using the "lite" tweak of Xjouve's ver. 1.1 water mod patch)
[Linked Image]

Other fellow about to go into a tree at his 'drome
[Linked Image]

Attached Files trenchmud.jpgtrenchmud2.jpggoodsmoking.jpgintothetree.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 10:05 PM. Reason: Edited post.

#4526509 - 06/20/20 06:55 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
Becker01 Offline
Becker01  Offline

Hallo @VonS,

I have tested your idea to delete the bigger files 1400 - 270kb. Yes, it has functioned. FPS is higher and more stabil. I will keep it in memory for a good and easy FPS-solution.

Greetings!

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?