Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
#4505928 - 02/02/20 10:35 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
SebToombs Offline
SebToombs  Offline

UK
Hey VonS,

Great work, I'm checking it out right now!

Many Thanks

Andy

#4505936 - 02/02/20 11:15 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: SebToombs]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Originally Posted by SebToombs
Hey VonS,

Many Thanks

Andy

Hi Seb,

Hope the tweaks prove useful - they work well on my pair of AMD cards. I'm assuming they should work well for nVidia cards too. (If necessary I might do a few more tweaks in the future to the pixel dim patch and floating sizes, and call it a "version 2" patch - but for now I'll leave the tweaks as is.)

Von S smile

Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 12:06 AM. Reason: Edited post.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4506066 - 02/04/20 03:02 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

(Note: healthy frame rates maintained with tweaks applied from my previous patch posted above - might also tinker with some settings in the AMD control panel too and will post any tips in the future should any further, good discoveries emerge.)

[Narrative removed - see relevant update in the very first post of this "casual campaigns" thread for more info.]

Von S smile

[Linked Image]

Attached Files picture1.jpgpicture2.jpgpicture3.jpgpicture4.jpgpicture5.jpgpicture6.jpgpicture7.jpgpicture8.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 12:06 AM. Reason: Updated post.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4506071 - 02/04/20 06:02 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

"You went up in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia-ish

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4506142 - 02/04/20 05:33 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Originally Posted by Rick_Rawlings
"You went up in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia-ish

Thank you my friend for the words of encouragement. biggrin

Von S smile2

Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 12:07 AM. Reason: Edited post.

#4506210 - 02/05/20 05:48 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

(Note: some tweaks to lighting and specular effects in the shader.xml file will be tested in mission no. 6, a file that's located in the main WOFF sim folder by the way; also tested will be a preload file tweaked by HarryH in one of the threads here a while back; and I will also include the relevant pixel patch dim value, of 400, in the d3d8 ini file under the main WOFF folder, and also the one located in WOFFScenery - should the tweaks work well I will include them in a ver. 1.1 upload of my "FPS and Graphics Tuner" located under the relevant post on page 1 of this thread.)

[Narrative removed - see relevant update in the very first post of this "casual campaigns" thread for more info.]

Von S smile

[Linked Image]

Attached Files pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpgpic4.jpgpic5.jpgpic6.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 12:08 AM. Reason: Updated post.

#4506309 - 02/05/20 09:17 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
Evochron Offline
Evochron  Offline

Enjoying this and tried your VonS GPU Tuner Patch for WOFF and found the objects in the scenery are very much improved. Before all the buildings were flickering - AA I guess.

Thank you !

I am using these settings here for my 1080ti

https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4430686/nvidia-settings

#4506348 - 02/06/20 01:51 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: Evochron]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Originally Posted by Evochron
Enjoying this and tried your VonS GPU Tuner Patch for WOFF and found the objects in the scenery are very much improved. Before all the buildings were flickering - AA I guess.

Thank you !

I am using these settings here for my 1080ti

https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4430686/nvidia-settings

Pleased to read that the GPU Tuner is helping out with your graphics Evochron. I will be testing some more additions to the tuner in mission no. 6 for Cap'n. Dobson and will upload a revised version of the package if all goes well. For those running WOFF on AMD cards, and wondering what settings I use, I include the pic. below for reference (although the entries can also be found in text form under my long "WOFF on a Mac" thread).

Von S smile

Attached Files amdsettings.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 02/20/23 07:00 PM.

#4506375 - 02/06/20 05:06 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
Evochron Offline
Evochron  Offline

I wonder if your GPU Tuner would work for WOTR?

I will be testing before and after tonight. Can't hurt with JGSME.

I think from the pics you aren't using the cloud mod? I mean the 2.0 here:
http://www.thatoneplease.co/skyWOFF.html

Last edited by Evochron; 02/06/20 05:10 AM.
#4506379 - 02/06/20 05:58 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: Evochron]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

I wonder if your GPU Tuner would work for WOTR?

I will be testing before and after tonight. Can't hurt with JGSME.

I think from the pics you aren't using the cloud mod? I mean the 2.0 here:
http://www.thatoneplease.co/skyWOFF.html

I think the GPU Tuner should work just fine in WOTR - I definitely recommend testing it out there too - might not give as much of an fps increase as in WOFF, but 10 or so extra fps is always worth it. The cloud mod I always used in ver. 4.18 of WOFFue was the "2.9.2" BuckeyeBob package - in fact I will be testing it in WOFFpe in the next couple of missions, to see how it handles. If it doesn't hurt fps too much or produce other oddities, I might run it regularly (again) in WOFFpe. The 2.0 "high res" clouds mod by 4L0M I've never run since I didn't want to experience an fps hit.

Latest mission now complete and will post soon - good results with the latest tweaks for the GPU tuner (I think that turning on some of the lighting and specular entries in the shaders.xml file has, overall, lightened up some of the ground terrain and I'm getting a stronger hint of green, very nice since I can no longer use SweetFX with WOFFpe, and that "ReShade" thing never worked for me - always CTDs) - so I will go ahead and post the revised GPU Tuner package soon.

Von S smile

Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 04:39 AM. Reason: Edited typos.

#4506380 - 02/06/20 06:20 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
Evochron Offline
Evochron  Offline

I use Reshade and love it.

This might not be your case below as it might be crashing while flying.

Just in case you mean crashing at the beginning - I have to wait quite a while for all the effects to be applied at the beginning so it can look like its crashed at first. If I don't touch anything at all and just wait, no mouse, nothing then it resolves itself and works. If I touch the mouse then ctd for sure.

I use the cloud mod 2.0 because it looks great and if I choose vsync in nvidia I get 60fps which for me is wonderful. I have 4k non-gaming monitor at 60hz. I got it for the height of the physical screen beats my mth2go 3 screens I used to use without the edge distortion. I run it at 1920 and I am very happy with those settings.

I have 32gb of ram so I get some stutters in the first 10 seconds but after looking around with the trackir 2 or 3 times its all good, same as xplane when loading photo scenery.

However I have not tested with loads of aircraft in a furball.

Last edited by Evochron; 02/06/20 06:32 AM. Reason: due to forgetting many things due to age :)
#4506382 - 02/06/20 07:56 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: Evochron]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

I use Reshade and love it.

This might not be your case below as it might be crashing while flying.

Just in case you mean crashing at the beginning - I have to wait quite a while for all the effects to be applied at the beginning so it can look like its crashed at first. If I don't touch anything at all and just wait, no mouse, nothing then it resolves itself and works. If I touch the mouse then ctd for sure.

I use the cloud mod 2.0 because it looks great and if I choose vsync in nvidia I get 60fps which for me is wonderful. I have 4k non-gaming monitor at 60hz. I got it for the height of the physical screen beats my mth2go 3 screens I used to use without the edge distortion. I run it at 1920 and I am very happy with those settings.

I have 32gb of ram so I get some stutters in the first 10 seconds but after looking around with the trackir 2 or 3 times its all good, same as xplane when loading photo scenery.

However I have not tested with loads of aircraft in a furball.

I unfortunately get the WOFF "dll" (driver) crash if I install ReShade - and then the loading screen hangs - but I will test it further in the future. It's possible that there are some tricks (or missing files) to get ReShade running properly - I will rummage around the internet to find more info. about it. I'm still using padlock and mouse views in my sims - will have to give trackIR a go sometimes.

Von S smile

#4506383 - 02/06/20 08:07 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

(Note: a newer version of the "GPU Tuner Patch" is still being tested and more info. will follow - the latest tweaks, with more lighting and specular shader calls enabled in the shaders.xml file, also with the pixel dim size of 400 applied to the two relevant d3d8 ini files, have been used for mission no. 6, see pics. attached below for comparison; also, those who enjoy reading these pilot exploits might want to check out several tales of immersion based in the middle eastern theater in the second half of 1918, that were posted under the "DiD Single Missions" thread, for the centenary end of WWI, under the FE2 section of CombatAce - available here: https://combatace.com/forums/topic/92423-did-style-single-missions-for-fe2/).

Von S smile

[Linked Image]

Attached Files shot1.jpgshot2.jpgshot3.jpgshot4.jpgshot5.jpgshot6.jpgshot7.jpgshot8.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 12:09 AM. Reason: Updated post.

#4506396 - 02/06/20 10:25 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
Evochron Offline
Evochron  Offline

Now that is what I was missing from my sim setup, goose pate!!

When I installed Reshade I did not not do what it told me to. It told me to install something for directx8 and I ignored it - it works without that.

Last edited by Evochron; 02/06/20 10:33 AM.
#4506527 - 02/07/20 03:45 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: Evochron]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Now that is what I was missing from my sim setup, goose pate!!

When I installed Reshade I did not not do what it told me to. It told me to install something for directx8 and I ignored it - it works without that.

Thank you for the tip regarding ReShade - I will try installing it that way (I would always check off dx9 upon installation - so it's possible that was causing problems for me).

Also, for those using my "GPU Tuner Patch" for WOFF, please see the relevant post (link included here https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads....casual-campaigns-woff-thread#Post4505865) for the latest version, 1.1, of the patch. Additions to the latest ver. are outlined there. That will probably be the last/definitive version of the patch since it squeezes about as many fps out of WOFF, while maintaining high quality graphics, as possible. No sense in endlessly tinkering with the patch - hope it's of use to many WOFFers - it works wonders on my rig (and is worth a try in WOTR too). A big thanks to PanamaRed, Ankor, and all other tweakers who I may have forgotten to mention and who earlier contributed to the disappearance of blue triangles in WOFF, and also other pioneering work to improve FPS.

Next mission will follow in a day or two - with the latest GPU Tuner Patch applied - and will also test BuckeyeBob's ver. 2.9.x clouds in the flight (to see if it works well with the PE ed. of WOFF).

Von S smile

Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 12:10 AM. Reason: Edited post.

#4506599 - 02/07/20 07:35 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Casual campaigns?
All of mine are deadly serious. Probably too much so!!
smile

#4506612 - 02/07/20 10:14 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: DukeIronHand]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Originally Posted by DukeIronHand
Casual campaigns?
All of mine are deadly serious. Probably too much so!!
smile

A good point, depends on how you look at it - I was thinking "casual" in the sense of medium settings for claims and promotions, and that I didn't necessarily start a career in training or strictly in two-seaters. So, more casual than the rigorous rules of the DiD threads - but, yes, outcomes of campaigns are still very serious and require lots of concentration when flying. I was thinking of maybe naming the thread "semi-regular" or "irregular" campaigns - but casual campaigns has a nicer ring to it.

I hope to have a new report posted soon.

Von S smile

Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 12:11 AM. Reason: Edited post.

#4506619 - 02/07/20 11:14 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
SebToombs Offline
SebToombs  Offline

UK
Originally Posted by VonS
Originally Posted by SebToombs
Hey VonS,

Many Thanks

Andy

Hi Seb,

Hope the tweaks prove useful - they work well on my pair of AMD cards. I'm assuming they should work well for nVidia cards too. (If necessary I might do a few more tweaks in the future to the pixel dim patch and floating sizes, and call it a "version 2" patch - but for now I'll leave the tweaks as is.)

In the meantime, I will fly the next two to three missions on the RFC side, to revisit Cap'n. Johnny Dobson and his Morane Parasols. No sense in pushing Von Pranz's luck too much after his first victory over the gunbus, far behind enemy lines.

Von S smile

Hey VonS,

I've been using them now for five days, and the mod is brilliant. Your mod combined with NVIDIA profile inspector has the game running smoothly, beautifully and fast! with 8XAA

[Linked Image]

This is my PC

[Linked Image]

Thanks for all your hard work!

And I'm continuing to love Johnny Dobson's adventures!

Seb

Last edited by SebToombs; 02/07/20 11:15 PM.
#4506634 - 02/08/20 04:03 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Hi Seb,

I'm glad to read that the GPU Tuner Patch is helpful - from what I've noticed on my rig, micro-stutters are also absent (haven't noticed any serious drops in fps, or pauses, with the latest ver. 1.1 tweaks either) - I recommend checking out the latest ver. 1.1 if you haven't had an opportunity to do so (link is located a couple of posts above).

I'm tempted to try out one more thing with the GPU Tuner Patch - and if necessary to release a ver. 1.2 eventually - I will try to attempt a few visual tricks so that terrain that is further away has exactly the same graphics quality as terrain immediately below/around the aircraft you are flying. While barely noticeable any more (with the ver. 1.0 and ver. 1.1 patches) - there is still a very, very perceptible transition from immediate terrain to terrain further away.

This is just the reality of the terrain generating engine - but I'll try a few more tweaks and will post results if I notice any changes. The theory is to have slightly higher-quality terrain patches showing up further away, which, visually, should end up looking the same quality as terrain in the immediate vicinity - that's the theory anyway. (Nit-picky, I know, but it's worth an experiment or two - will report back if successful.)

Von S smile

#4506637 - 02/08/20 05:29 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Thank you for the GPU tweaks, VonS. I'll certainly test them out, at least once I get a chance to actually do a little flying!

In regard to matching the graphics detail in the various "rings" I think you will find that the outer most ring is the most problematical. Trying to match the graphical detail in the outer ring with the inner rings will definitely result in the largest fps hit AND most likely an increase in stutters (the longer kind, not the micro-stutters that you also referred to). In my experience helping PR with the blue triangles mod, I noticed a fairly predictable stutter occuring when the terrain detail in the outer ring is updated, particularly when the terrain transitions from generic to detailed terrain. In fact, increasing the object density in the outer ring too much can bring the game to a crawl and even cause a game crash.

Of course, if you are referring to the inner and middle rings only, then this is not as big of a problem.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM