Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 128 of 366 1 2 126 127 128 129 130 365 366
#4505116 - 01/27/20 03:35 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
Raine Online content
Raine  Online Content

New Brunswick, Canada
Seb, what a tremendous way to kick off the campaign! But two death-defying near misses the first time up is a little much. Let's hope you Sopwith is confirmed.

Fullofit, I'm getting the sense that Toby is at that point in his service when combat fatigue and expertise combine to cause a pilot to take chances he would not have thought about a month or two ago. Please be careful. I'm looking forward to Toby being the first past the 50 mark in the campaign.

Carrick, Rupert seems to be plugging away quite well. The absence of nurses must be clearing his mind!

And Harry, speaking of nurses… It's great to have Laszlo back. Hope to see him back in the groove quickly.

I haven't been able to fly for a little more than a week so I'll have a bit of catching up to do when I get home. Keep the great stories coming in!

#4505117 - 01/27/20 03:35 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Oberleutnant Lazlo Halász,
Jasta1, Proville, Flanders
January 27th 1917

"Sorry, Lazlo, we've had too many reports of the wings folding on these Albatros machines. They're being withdrawn from all Jastas until the fault has been diagnosed and rectified. So, it's back to the Halberstadts for now, I'm afraid". Oblt. Kummetz leaned back in his chair and let out a large plume of smoke from his pipe. A mix of emotions swept over Lazlo. In truth, he hadn't yet become familiar with his new machine. The hospital stay had reduced his flying time with it substantially. He would quickly feel at home back in the Halberstadt, he suspected.

"OK sir, we will manage". Lazlo left the office to go and inform his pilots of the news....

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4505130 - 01/27/20 11:53 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Harry, it's good to see Lazlo back in action. But back in the Halbs, not so good.

Carrick, congrats to Rupert on his two victories. He should be sporting his first gong in the not too distant future.

Fullofit, as Raine noted, Toby needs to step back and take a breath. I'm afraid he's getting more careless. Given his record he should be up for an HE assignment soon I think. Fingers crossed Chesty makes it to that 50 mark and is given a break for his efforts.

Seb, your lad is starting out strong, but he needs to exercise more caution as well. Also, I love "The Saint" emblem on his mount, I hadn't noticed it in the earlier pictures as it was fairly dark in them. Let's hope the young and dashing Toombs isn't sporting a real halo any time soon.

Superb stories and videos and screenshots folks, most enjoyable.

#4505138 - 01/27/20 01:47 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: SebToombs]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted by SebToombs
Hi Chaps , I so am grateful to you all for the warm welcome.

RAF_Louvert, I am blessed indeed! When I got the message from Raine I jumped for joy! Among my aviation books is a beauty on Jasta 18's history and pilots so this will be super immersive for me. I've never played Jasta 18 before. Raines generous assignment, I hope, is an omen of a great campaign! The duel between Swanson and Toombs would be a corker, but I'm no way ready yet, early days!

Fullofit and carrick58 thank you for your kind words. I love all these stories and look forward to each post! My current fear is bumping into SC Tobias Chester Mulberry VC, DSC&Bar, DSO. That is one encounter I would never walk away from! He'd chalk up five in a day for sure!

The War Diaries of Sebastian von Toombs 24th and 25th of January 1917.

[Linked Image]

Chapter Two

Wednesday 24th

My first operational day in the Jasta was a shocking day I escaped death twice. I was shaken awake very rudely to the word “scramble”. A number of British planes were flying over the airfield and the fear was that they would begin dropping the bombs any moment.

We raced to our planes and began to get the things going. The engine start seemed to take an eternity in the frigid January air. The ground was icy, very bumpy and as our wheels rolled over that uneven earth I felt every tremble, every vibration as never before. Looking up I could see at least eight planes over our field, they looked to be at about 8000ft maybe more. As a Jasta we raced skyward as quickly as our Mercedes engines would carry us. I thought it would take some time but a stray look over my shoulder before I was barely minutes off the ground, and, much before I was ready, revealed a Sopworth triplane diving on us and buzzing around us like an angry green wasp, hungry to sting.

I danced the dance of death with him, spinning and turning realising just how hard it is to get on their nimble tails. Every now and then I saw the reassuring Red and Blue of my squadron mates firing at the angry wasp.

I noticed how the more experienced members of the Kette didn’t try to out turn him but used their power to fly high then low, almost as if they wanted to fight in a vertical plane while the Sopwith wanted to fight us, to his advantage, on a horizontal one. I learnt from them and unable to get any advantage I dove to earth over the airfield, building up speed leaving it to the last possible moment to pull up. In reflection this is a stunt I won’t ever pull again. I barely pulled up in time, and there are small divots near our airfield that can pay tribute to that fact. My wheels touch earth but thankfully not with enough force to rip off my undercarriage. If it had - at the speed I was going - I would have surely died.

The manoeuvre at least worked, and I was able to pull up on his starboard side. I remembered my training and shot, not at him, but just ahead him. As best I could, I kept my sights ahead of him, following him into a wide right turn. I fired about 20 seconds worth of machine guns. Then he started very slowly to try to climb, I was unsure how many hits I had, it didn’t look like many other (note to self I have got to improve my gunnery). As he climbed I fired again and again first on topside, his cockpit and upper wing, and then as he banked into a sharp left bank, I fired into his exposed belly. Again he started to pull up and climb.

By now my power advantage was evident. He rolled to the right and started diving as I gave him one more squirt of the two Spandau machine guns. I saw a puff of smoke, I had hit something significant at last. As he plummeted to ground I thought I’d scored my first victory. But suddenly when I thought it was all over he pulled up sharply. Once more the hunt for advantage was on .

I chased and was joined briefly by another Albatros. He climbed again, I came in low and fast firing all I had. My bullets ripped into his fuselage, splinters and cloth erupting as my lead hit. He had slowed to an almost stop as I flew under his wheels, just as I thought I had past him, he dropped without warning coming crashing down behind me, his propeller chewing bite marks into my tailplane. The noise was deafening, the world and my engine utterly silent, even the sound of air rushing through my rigging was silent. I was sure I would crash, totally unstable unable to pitch or yaw. But not today. The Good Lord held me in his hands.

The damage was only superficial. I leant out as far as I dared to examine the British vandalism of my Albatros, and it looked messy but was stable. Although I couldn’t hear my engine it seemed to be turning over nicely, I checked my compass set the nose east and landed safely home a few minutes later. Apart from the ringing in my ears I was unscathed. I put in a claim, but sadly it was rejected. I didn’t see him crash, but surely he did?

Thursday 25th

Today I was scheduled for a routine patrol behind our lines, I was flying number 3. It was a clear but freezing cold day, my lips are taking a battering and are chapped and bleeding after just three days of this. We saw no one else up and after an hour returned home. Safe and sound. My hearing has returned. And I’m off to buy a scarf.

[Linked Image]

To Be Continued ...

That was all kinds of crazy! salute

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4505173 - 01/27/20 08:15 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
SebToombs Offline
SebToombs  Offline

UK
Hi Chaps,

carrick58, Great Job on the 2 confirmed Kills ... I love being on the same side as Rupert
HarryH So glad Lazlo stopped watching snowflakes and is back with Jasta 1
Lou Thank you for the feedback you are dead right! As one who likes The Saint you may be interested to know that Sebastian Tombs is an alias he uses from time to time in the novels and George Saunders excellent films from the 1940s
Raine Thank you so much for this campaign and your kind words!
Rick, yes it was!
And ...
Fullofit I've a feeling Mulberry's coming for me! I'm going to learn that upside down trick! I dont want to be Number 50!

The War Diaries of Sebastian von Toombs 26th of January 1917.

Chapter Three

Friday 26th January 1917

19:45hrs Halluin/Rekkem

Slightly shorter report tonight as I have to go and eat, I’m starving. And I need to celebrate!

It has been one busy day! Wearing my new scarf and my freshly oiled seal-skin coat for warmth we set off early for a field defence mission. We flew about 10 km north along the frontline then east to Harlebeke. As we neared Harlebeke we spotted a small number of British Sopwith Strutters over the airfield . Both Kettes engaged in beautiful formation, like something from a text book. I was flying nestled between two of our most experienced pilots, Walter Von Bulow-Bothkamp and Paul Strahle. These two don’t call me ‘Thor’, (which has all become a bit of a joke now), but “Häschen” which means ‘Young Hare’. They’ve been tasked in keeping me safe over the next few days and weeks. And in turn they are teaching me to spot the enemy’s own “Häschen” my job is to go for the inexperienced ‘Young Hares’ and leave the bigger fish for them.

However, things did not go to plan, there were no Tommy young hares, those boys knew what they were doing. We all took some damage, I had a nice few moments glued to one of their tails firing my machine guns and scored some good hits but the Tommy rear gunner was an absolute marksman, of the eight of us who took off that day he brought down three of us, myself - ‘Häschen’ that I am - included. Some quite excellent sharpshooting caused a nasty fuel leak in my freshly repaired Albatros and I was forced to land just north of the town of Kortrijk next to a small road. A truck arrived and repaired my Albatros in just a couple of hours. I was able to fly back and got back to Halluim For about 15.00hrs. None of us who were brought down were injured.

[Linked Image]

I thought I’d go to the mess and find something to eat, I was peckish for sausages, but before I got near the mess Paul Strahle grabbed me by the scarff saying “Young Hare, we are off again on patrol, you'll eat when we get back!’

We were off again by 16:30 for a late afternoon patrol over the lines near Rumbeke airfield. The sky was beautiful that evening and to be honest I felt more Thor than Rabbit and exhilarated in the air, sky and clouds. And well protected between Paul and Walter who have most definitely taken me under their wings. I genuinely felt one with the Albatros, up until now it has seemed as if the Albatros has been controlling me, but in this moment I was controlling it. I was utterly as light as air”.

[Linked Image]

Just south of Rumbeke the Jasta spotted two French Nieuport 17s flying our side of the lines flying between The airfield and the Village of Ledegem. We climbed to intercept and were soon in a spiralling dogfight. They were out numbered, out gunned, out engined and out played. I stuck with Paul Strahle throughout the fight only braking off when I saw one of the french Nieuports on the Walter's tail. I pursued this Nieuport and after a few rounds straight into his cockpit as he was attempting to gain height He span out of control and crashed in a smoking heap just outside of no mans land 2 kilometre west-southwest of Rumbeke airfield and Northwest of the factory at Sint-Eloois-Winkle which we could see in the sunset.

[Linked Image]

I looked for Paul and saw him in a dog fight with another Nieuport 17. I flew towards them and engaged, he knew he was beaten and didn’t put up much of a fight. This French airman was the “Häschen” I had been looking for. I kept on him a while and gave a burst of fire every now and again. He did not want to play, and dived and ran low for home. I gave chase and after a few short burst of the Spandaus he too crashed into no mans land about half a kilometre south of my first kill and about 2 kilometres from the Passchendaele observation balloon. I noticed faintly (the light was getting poor) what looked like a flying stork or something similar on his fuselage. I’ll ask around and find out what Squadron he was from. We flew home without a scratch.

So I’ve made two claims tonight, Paul and Walter saw both clearly and I hope to goodness I might get them confirmed. Well I’m off for sausages and beer! ‘Thor the Hare’ is buying...

[Linked Image]

To be continued ...

Last edited by SebToombs; 01/27/20 08:17 PM.
#4505185 - 01/27/20 10:06 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Harry, that is not good news. Mulberry eats Halberstadts for breakfast. Better send word to the boys at Johannisthal to work faster and fix the problems with their scouts. Otherwise Lazlo may obtain another free ticket to see nurse Higginstein soon. Then again, he seems to be quickly regaining his Einsatzfreude. One less pesky Nieuport. Well done.

Carrick, you keep at it and the victories will roll in all on their own. Mutual support, very important.

Raine, don’t be too long. We miss Collins’ (mis)adventures. We don’t have a pilot with 50 kills yet? Well, will have to do something about that!

Lou, I certainly hope Chesty isn’t going to get that boring assignment. Flying at night is for the bats.

Seb, learning that upside down trick could certainly save your skin, that is if it doesn’t kill you.
So Häschen, looks like we have a new nickname von Toombs. At least they didn’t call him Rauhbein. No matter what the name it looks like Sebastian is in good company and that Nieuport had nothing on you. Congrats on the latest victories. Looks like the race for the highest score is on. Enjoy those sausages. Well earned.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4505213 - 01/28/20 03:27 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Rupert E. Hentzau
Feldwebel,
Jasta 6
Kette. Zwei
Fontain-Uterte,
Flanders.
2 Unconfirmed.
2 Confirmed

Never seen so many e/a. My flight leader led us on a Balloon Defense Mission. Over Target, engaged a flight of N-17's Slightly below coming in from NML. I thought Hes in the bag as my MGs barked off 180 rds. smoked puked out the back as I overshot. A flair high up went off as 2 Kette a/c chased a Large Rfc a/c I zoomed to help As He fell to earth. Then My leader chased a Pup ( Blue Nose with a # 3 on the side I covered him as he shot down the Rfc er. My claim rejected as I did not see the Crash. Sortie Score: 1 Loss to enemy ( Pup ? or GF } 3 e/a destroyed + 1 un confirmed Mine

Attached Files CFS3 2020-01-27 18-28-06-11.jpgCFS3 2020-01-27 18-38-41-55.jpgCFS3 2020-01-27 18-39-32-85.jpgCFS3 2020-01-27 18-47-32-32.jpgCFS3 2020-01-27 19-00-16-78.jpg
#4505214 - 01/28/20 03:30 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Sunset vid Well done

#4505215 - 01/28/20 03:40 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Seb, excellent work! Let's hope the claims go through. High command is a bit picky with awarding victories unless you have good corroboration!

Fullofit, thanks, but the Nupe was rejected. Ridiculous really. Clearly Lazlo's. Oh well.

Oberleutnant Lazlo Halász,
Jasta1, Proville, Flanders
January 27th 1917

Lazlo immediately felt at home in his old Halberstadt. He stroked the wood panels affectionately and accelerated down the field. Leading his men to rendezvous with a trio of DFWs, they were just completing the climb out when Lazlo spotted AA shells bursting above them. He turned the schwarm toward them to investigate. As they got closer he could make out two large French 2-seaters. He licked his lips. This time, no mistakes. They closed in on the lumbering beasts, Lazlo making sure to stay well beneath them. He waited until he was close and then pulled back on the stick, raking the first machine with bullets as he turned away and dived again. He did catch some return fire, but with no damage done he turned again, coming in low. He was delighted to see two of his schwarm attacking the other machine. They had managed to split the pair up! He went in for a second pass using the same strategy. It seemed that the chances of return fire were diminishing so he became braver with his attacks. Eventually he had the machine smoking. One further burst and it began a gentle spiral earthwards. Lazlo followed it down, noticing as he did so that Kummetz had taken down the other G4, but seemed to be in trouble himself. Lazlo could not wait to find out what happened, as he had to get back to the business at hand: a rendezvous with the DFWs. He climbed back to 2500m and was joined by Lehman. It was just those two that finally caught up with the reconnaissance machines north of St Quentin, and an hour later they were back in Proville with the job completed. Lazlo put in his claim for the G4. Apparently Kummetz had radio'd in and was fine, but had bent his Halberstadt somewhat. He was being collected.

"Well, I wonder if that will be number ten for you, old chap?". Von Keudell grinned at Lazlo. The two were having a friendly competition, a race to twenty, or so each man hoped! Von Keudell was ahead at this point, with eleven victories.

"It better had be!", barked Lazlo. "We can't be letting you win everythings!". The two men smiled and retired to the fireplace, drinks in hand.

To be continued.....

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4505218 - 01/28/20 03:52 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Jasta 6 , Mess Hall
2000hs.
Victory Party
Band and entertainment
compliments of Hentzau's
Hotels Inc. in Hamburg.

Party Jasta

Attached Files tumblr_mfp875aokE1r4xf5lo1_400 dancers.gif
Last edited by carrick58; 01/28/20 08:25 AM.
#4505224 - 01/28/20 08:44 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: carrick58]  
SebToombs Offline
SebToombs  Offline

UK
Originally Posted by carrick58
Jasta 6 , Mess Hall
2000hs.
Victory Party
Band and entertainment
compliments of Hentzau's
Hotels Inc. in Hamburg.

Party Jasta

Jasta 18 is on its way. We may be a few minutes as it’s been a busy day. But I’ll get a round in!

Last edited by SebToombs; 01/28/20 08:45 AM.
#4505250 - 01/28/20 12:14 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Seb, the first time I saw your online moniker I knew you were a fan of the infamous Charteris character. Another fine episode of your own, and it appears von Toombs has made a name for himself, though not the one he'd intended. Ah well, the Young Hare has a brace of claims regardless.

Carrick, Rupert is running up his tally as well, despite the best efforts of the review board to deny him his due. Perhaps he should send those dancing girls over to HQ for a visit, it might improve his odds.

Harry, Lazlo has wasted no time getting back into the swing of things. Well done.

It would appear that a visit from "die Gong Fee" is in the near future for Halász, Hentzau, and von Toombs.

#4505296 - 01/28/20 04:40 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
SebToombs Offline
SebToombs  Offline

UK

The War Diaries of Sebastian von Toombs 26th of January 1917.

Chapter Four

Friday 26th January 1917

19:30 hrs Halluin/Rekkem i'm going to write quickly because me and a couple of the chaps are about to leave for a party with Jasta 6.

Chapter four

After much celebration in the mess last night we were woken by the news that our Albatros DIIIs were being withdrawn and replaced by DIIs, just as I felt at home!

In the morning the old hands seemed quite pleased, they loved their old DIIs and had been slightly suspicious of the newer DIIIs and particularly of the V struts on the wings they had heard, horror stories of the lower wings breaking off during sharp manoeuvres. Paul and Walter’s mechanics were up all night painting their planes, apparently, the hope is this is just a temporary move and the DIIIs will be back soon. With that in mind we have been forbidden, for the time being, to paint them with our red noses and blue fuselage. I’ve spoken to my chap and he hopes to have the Thor's hammer on soon - though, I could just as easily wake up to find a hare!

[Linked Image]

I actually enjoyed my first flight in the DII. It was very stable, smooth, not so heavy and best of all a slightly different view. The top wing is slightly lower, meaning that I could see much better above the plane, but the downside is the view beneath the wing and the sights is tricker. Another beautiful and cold day and we were on a airfield defence mission this time over Ceurne, not far from where I was forced down yesterday. (Was that really only yesterday?) And just the one mission today.

Again there were Tommy Strutters over the airfield, I took a deep breath, yesterday’s forced landing fresh in mind and as instructed I again stayed close to Paul and Walter, their planes are now the easiest to spot as they are the only ones with any personalisation. I shot at two different Strutters, keeping as fast as I could. I didn’t want to give the Tommys any chance to shoot back. I only managed only snap shots but both Paul and Walter said my accuracy is improving.

I got a good number of shots into one of them and he dived down I saw his number ' A 4 'but being only a ‘young hare’ I am discouraged by Paul and Walter from following diving planesdown and ideally I must maintain my height, unless the advantage is completely and utterly with me. Which I didn’t feel it was with the other Strutters about. I watched him go down and saw Joseph pursue him and watched as the Strutter exploded. His kill!

We landed at Ceurne, it seemed all safely, however we were missing Rudolf Pitchler apparently the explosion I saw was not merely the out of control Strutter, but, both planes crashing together entwined about 400 meters south east of the airfield. Enemies in life, united in death. There was much sadness in the squadron, Joseph was our first loss. I too I can’t help feeling a deep sadness in my bones, our paths had not crossed much in the few days I’ve been with the Jasta. But I was touched when in the mess I heard that it was Rudolp who thought it would be funny to call me ‘Thor’. In all, three Strutters were claimed today. None by me

On returning from the mess I was pulled aside by Paul and taken to the Kommandant, who was softer than usual, it appears that Rudolph’s death had effected him too. He gave me the news I have been awarded two claims from last night, and am to be awarded the Eisernes Kreisler 2 Klasses! My chest is puffed, my head is held high, though my heart is heavy.

But off to Jasta 6s Mess Hall where a friend of mine Rupert E. Hentzau's throwing a victory dance and I've promised to buy a round!

[Linked Image]

To be continued ...

Last edited by SebToombs; 01/29/20 08:28 AM.
#4505328 - 01/28/20 08:45 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Congrats on the bling, Seb! Great that you're here and enjoying things, and doing so well already.

Lou, although I'm excited by the prospect of the Gong Fairy, I'm afraid it would be premature for Lazlo. Like the previous claim, his Caudron has been rejected. Worse still, he went and chased a couple of BE2s today and took another bullet (or three). Got down safely but out until the 1st. Bah. He needs to be super careful of those 2-seaters.

#4505349 - 01/28/20 11:39 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Carrick, those Germans know how to party. Nice Kette of spring chickens. Well done.

Harry, that’s some fancy flying against that Caudron! Lazlo should get the credit for the inventive shooting technique alone. How could any gunner get him if he made himself such a difficult target. A few bullets for your troubles, you say? Well, I hope he gets to see his nurse at least.

Seb, tough luck with the D.III’s going back to the shop. Also, rough going with those Strutters. They seem to have an advantage with that stinger in the rear. Mulberry didn’t care much for his gunner when he was flying them. Congrats on the confirmed kills and the bling. Looks like the Gong Fairy has been upstaged. Have fun at the dance and don’t forget to tell us all about it.

28 January, 1917 12:05
Vert Galand, Flanders Sector
RNAS-8
SC Tobias Chester Mulberry VC, DSC&Bar, DSO
49 confirmed kills
Awaiting 1 claim confirmation

Well, when they arrived the balloon they were ordered to attack was gone and there was no trace of it either. What they found in its place was a Schwarm of Halberstadts meandering below. Toby ordered the attack and observed the proceedings. He circled above, waiting for the black crosses to appear below. They came into view and he pounced. Mulberry circled behind his victim firing constantly into the fuselage. The Hun lurched and dove into the ground. Toby searched for the next Boche and one appeared as if on command. The young ace followed him. Another Halberstadt appeared, followed by a Pup. It was getting crowded. This new Hun was trying to evade Toby by climbing above the melee. Mulberry’s Vickers continued to fire, but he had to let him go when he noticed two more enemy planes at his rear. He quickly stalled his plane to reduce speed and let the two Halberstadts pass him by. He then rejoined the pursuit, now behind his baffled opponents. One of them broke away, but Toby continued to circle with the other one and damaging him at every opportunity. All of a sudden Toby’s plane was hit. He wobbled, ready to evade his pursuer but no one was after him. It must have been an unlucky stray bullet. Mulberry resumed his pursuit. He picked up speed and closed the distance to the already wounded German. Toby was in range and opened fire again. More hits and a trail of grey smoke began to emerge from the enemy’s machine. Mulberry noticed he was being pursued and had to break off his attack again. He turned to face his new assailant. As the fresh Hun banked to engage, Toby switched back to his original target and continued the pursuit, leaving the new arrival behind. He closed the distance to his target again, checking his rear and making sure he is also not being caught up to. Toby fired and this time more smoke and debris came off the Halberstadt. This was it. Mulberry dealt a mortal blow to the enemy, which promptly dove into the landscape below. Toby was already banking to avoid fire from the Boche on his tail. One second too late. Spandau rounds hit Toby’s machine. Thankfully the damage was superficial and the Sopwith responded well to Toby’s controls. He finished the loop finding the Hun at the end of it. He responded in kind, setting the Halberstadt on fire. The unfortunate pilot, struggling with his controls and managing the fire, flew into the tree branches and then set his machine heavily on the ground. The landing speed was too great and the plane overturned engulfing it in copious amounts of acrid smoke and then disintegrated.

YouTube Link

Toby was now on his own, quickly finding his bearings and setting the course across the No-Man’s Land and to his base. As he flew on, Toby noticed two specks still dancing above the front lines. He followed them and when one of them began to move towards him, he dove straight at it. He knew it was a Hun returning home. An easy kill. Mulberry slipped behind his unsuspecting prey and closed right in. They were heading straight for the two recent columns of smoke and Toby was already planning to make it a trio. A few bursts from his Vickers and the third column of smoke was beginning to rise near a farmhouse. Mulberry decided to turn back this instant. He was very low on ammo and was in no mood to encounter any more angry Huns today.

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4505352 - 01/29/20 12:06 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Fullofit]  
SebToombs Offline
SebToombs  Offline

UK
Originally Posted by Fullofit
Carrick, those Germans know how to party. Nice Kette of spring chickens. Well done.

Harry, that’s some fancy flying against that Caudron! Lazlo should get the credit for the inventive shooting technique alone. How could any gunner get him if he made himself such a difficult target. A few bullets for your troubles, you say? Well, I hope he gets to see his nurse at least.

Seb, tough luck with the D.III’s going back to the shop. Also, rough going with those Strutters. They seem to have an advantage with that stinger in the rear. Mulberry didn’t care much for his gunner when he was flying them. Congrats on the confirmed kills and the bling. Looks like the Gong Fairy has been upstaged. Have fun at the dance and don’t forget to tell us all about it.

28 January, 1917 12:05
Vert Galand, Flanders Sector
RNAS-8
SC Tobias Chester Mulberry VC, DSC&Bar, DSO
49 confirmed kills
Awaiting 1 claim confirmation

Well, when they arrived the balloon they were ordered to attack was gone and there was no trace of it either. What they found in its place was a Schwarm of Halberstadts meandering below. Toby ordered the attack and observed the proceedings. He circled above, waiting for the black crosses to appear below. They came into view and he pounced. Mulberry circled behind his victim firing constantly into the fuselage. The Hun lurched and dove into the ground. Toby searched for the next Boche and one appeared as if on command. The young ace followed him. Another Halberstadt appeared, followed by a Pup. It was getting crowded. This new Hun was trying to evade Toby by climbing above the melee. Mulberry’s Vickers continued to fire, but he had to let him go when he noticed two more enemy planes at his rear. He quickly stalled his plane to reduce speed and let the two Halberstadts pass him by. He then rejoined the pursuit, now behind his baffled opponents. One of them broke away, but Toby continued to circle with the other one and damaging him at every opportunity. All of a sudden Toby’s plane was hit. He wobbled, ready to evade his pursuer but no one was after him. It must have been an unlucky stray bullet. Mulberry resumed his pursuit. He picked up speed and closed the distance to the already wounded German. Toby was in range and opened fire again. More hits and a trail of grey smoke began to emerge from the enemy’s machine. Mulberry noticed he was being pursued and had to break off his attack again. He turned to face his new assailant. As the fresh Hun banked to engage, Toby switched back to his original target and continued the pursuit, leaving the new arrival behind. He closed the distance to his target again, checking his rear and making sure he is also not being caught up to. Toby fired and this time more smoke and debris came off the Halberstadt. This was it. Mulberry dealt a mortal blow to the enemy, which promptly dove into the landscape below. Toby was already banking to avoid fire from the Boche on his tail. One second too late. Spandau rounds hit Toby’s machine. Thankfully the damage was superficial and the Sopwith responded well to Toby’s controls. He finished the loop finding the Hun at the end of it. He responded in kind, setting the Halberstadt on fire. The unfortunate pilot, struggling with his controls and managing the fire, flew into the tree branches and then set his machine heavily on the ground. The landing speed was too great and the plane overturned engulfing it in copious amounts of acrid smoke and then disintegrated.

YouTube Link

Toby was now on his own, quickly finding his bearings and setting the course across the No-Man’s Land and to his base. As he flew on, Toby noticed two specks still dancing above the front lines. He followed them and when one of them began to move towards him, he dove straight at it. He knew it was a Hun returning home. An easy kill. Mulberry slipped behind his unsuspecting prey and closed right in. They were heading straight for the two recent columns of smoke and Toby was already planning to make it a trio. A few bursts from his Vickers and the third column of smoke was beginning to rise near a farmhouse. Mulberry decided to turn back this instance. He was very low on ammo and was in no mood to encounter any more angry Huns today.

YouTube Link

That’s a gripping report Fullofit, great stuff, I find my self cheering you on ... and I’m the Hun! Good luck for your half century

#4505360 - 01/29/20 02:15 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Good stories all, Hang in there

#4505362 - 01/29/20 02:28 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Rupert E. Hentzau
Feldwebel,
Jasta 6
Kette. Zwei
Fontain-Uterte,
Flanders.
2 Unconfirmed.
2 Confirmed

Jan 28 1917. DECEASED DECEASED DECEASED DONE IN.

2 Kette of Jasta 6 ( 5 air machines) was seen to engaged a lower flight of 5 RFC Pups while circling down 3 N-17's higher up dove on the Huns. A mid air occurred with the last Hun A/c ( Hentzau )
ending his career Field Medics reported finding most of the Pilot.

Attached Files CFS3 2020-01-28 18-08-59-86.jpgCFS3 2020-01-28 18-08-51-67.jpg
#4505373 - 01/29/20 05:36 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Oh no! Say it ain't so!!! I'll bet it was that darned 'Chesty' and his lot wot did it. Booo! RIP Herr Hentzau frown

#4505377 - 01/29/20 08:26 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: carrick58]  
SebToombs Offline
SebToombs  Offline

UK
Originally Posted by carrick58
Rupert E. Hentzau
Feldwebel,
Jasta 6
Kette. Zwei
Fontain-Uterte,
Flanders.
2 Unconfirmed.
2 Confirmed

Jan 28 1917. DECEASED DECEASED DECEASED DONE IN.

2 Kette of Jasta 6 ( 5 air machines) was seen to engaged a lower flight of 5 RFC Pups while circling down 3 N-17's higher up dove on the Huns. A mid air occurred with the last Hun A/c ( Hentzau )
ending his career Field Medics reported finding most of the Pilot.

So so sorry! I'm gutted for you ...

Last edited by SebToombs; 01/29/20 08:27 AM.
Page 128 of 366 1 2 126 127 128 129 130 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM