Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4504269 - 01/19/20 11:16 PM Total War: Three Kingdoms  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Almost all of my friends on Steam come from SimHQ and I haven’t seen anyone playing this game besides one person. I would just be curious to know why the lack of interest compared to previous TW titles like Rome 2 and Shogun 2. Maybe it was mostly due to the historical era and place?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4504299 - 01/20/20 10:40 AM Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Yep... I have zero interest in the period. So it was a no buy for me smile

#4504415 - 01/21/20 11:41 AM Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms [Re: Trooper117]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Trooper117
Yep... I have zero interest in the period. So it was a no buy for me smile

Fair enough!

I would be very curious to know what percentage of sales of the game have come from Chinese customers. I wouldn't be surprised if it's 50% or more.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4504447 - 01/21/20 05:10 PM Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Forward Observer Online content
Forward Observer  Online Content

Central Arkansas,US of A
I bought it simply because I have always been a Total War fan. However, I just can't get into it and have only put about 2 or 3 hours into it. Like others, the period just doesn't grab me. I'm also put off by the fantasy aspect which although mostly optional---still bothers me by just being available. I want another gun powder based historical game--early or mid 19th century.

Right now, I'm playing FOTS almost daily just to fill the void.

It's hard to believe that I've been playing the TW games for 20 years now. The first Shogun game was released in 2000.

Cheers

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
#4504457 - 01/21/20 05:53 PM Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms [Re: Forward Observer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Forward Observer

It's hard to believe that I've been playing the TW games for 20 years now. The first Shogun game was released in 2000.

Cheers

Same here even though I skipped on the Medieval TW titles. I was busy playing other types of games when those came out. It's not a total loss though because TW Saga: Britannia is essentially Medieval 3 but with a limited geographic area (British Isles) and there's also the Charlemagne DLC for Attila which is technically early Middle Ages as well.

#4504487 - 01/21/20 08:51 PM Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Forward Observer Online content
Forward Observer  Online Content

Central Arkansas,US of A
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Forward Observer

Cheers

Same here even though I skipped on the Medieval TW titles. I was busy playing other types of games when those came out. It's not a total loss though because TW Saga: Britannia is essentially Medieval 3 but with a limited geographic area (British Isles) and there's also the Charlemagne DLC for Attila which is technically early Middle Ages as well.

Medieval was a fantastic game for its time. It starts with the battle of Hastings in 1066 and goes to the discovery of the new world. Not only did one fight all across Europe, they then went to Africa and the mid-east with the Crusades. You could play as Christian or Muslim. Interspersed in this you had to deal with invasions of Huns and Tamarinds, along with the development of the first gunpowder siege engines and eventually matchlock small arms. Then you get the new world discovered and you get to sail to the Americas and conquer ancient indigenous tribes like the Mayans. For an novel twist on historical alternative fun, one could start the conquest of the new world as the Danes or Russians instead of the Spanish or English.

Med II was really the first TW game that attempted a bit of globe-spanning gameplay. Of course, Empire took this much further and even though it had launch issues, it's still pretty popular today just due to the wide global scope. That and the introduction of naval battles.

That reminds me, I need to fire up a new campaign in Empire.

Cheers

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
#4505006 - 01/26/20 09:26 AM Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Really, really wish they would do a Total War Empire II . . .

#4505068 - 01/26/20 09:22 PM Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms [Re: Nimits]  
Behemoth Offline
Behemoth  Offline

Boston, MA
Originally Posted by Nimits
Really, really wish they would do a Total War Empire II . . .
... and not screw it up or dumb it down or break it in any way....

#4505508 - 01/30/20 07:06 AM Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms [Re: PanzerMeyer]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
USSCheyenne
Unregistered

I've been with the franchise since the begining but i have very little interest in the time and place of TK. That's why i skipped it. But lately i tried Warhammer TW and I absolutely love it. It's a huge breath of fresh air after historical titles. The TW formula fits perfectly with the Warhammer Lore. The variety of factions and units, different mechanics, melee, ranged combat, firearms, artillery, cavalary, air units, magic, heroes, RPG elements. The map is beautiful, battlefields even better with giant statues, castles in the background, lava falls, snow, dense woods, underground tunnels in the mountains and more. For me it's the best TW since Empire (i really also hope for Empire 2).

#4505522 - 01/30/20 11:34 AM Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Someone gave me a free copy of Warhammer 2 but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. Maybe one day I will but I'm just not into non-historical based stuff when it comes to the Total War games. I'm not saying it's impossible though that I may end up really liking it once I finally try it. I guess we'll see.

#4505530 - 01/30/20 01:51 PM Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I agree Cheyenne. I'm glad I gave it a go, Warhammer I mean. For me it's the best TW title of them all. I'm glad I set aside my presumptions and historical bias and tried it. I didn't think I would like it, but I quickly changed my mind.

I have a long thread about it, I'd be interested in anything you'd care to add to it, you know, which factions you like or don't, how your campaigns are going, which DLC you like, that sort of thing.

https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4428896/tw-warhammer-2#Post4428896

As I talked about a lot in that thread, Warhammer has huge appeal to me due to the asymmetry, the factionaltiy that makes each one so different. There is a lot of replay value here, and by this stage I have played virtually all of the factions. Historical TW titles are restrained by the history they are recreating, but Warhammer isn't. I don't feel that playing as France is all that much different than Prussia. But in Warhammer a different faction is a big change, in all respects. Units, tech trees, mechanics, well, everything. It keeps it really fresh and interesting.

I read recently that either a patch or a DLC made a huge improvement to the turn resolve times in Mortal Empires, and with even more Skaven DLC having been released recently I should revisit it soon. I liked a lot of the factions, and some not so much. But the Skaven are my favorite.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4512867 - 03/26/20 04:39 PM Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Anyone here been playing this besides me? I have over 500 hours in it so far and the third DLC just recently came out.

Historical setting and time period aside, I think from a technical and game-play perspective this is the best TW game put out by Creative Assembly so far.

#4513020 - 03/27/20 12:47 PM Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I have not. This leaves this game, Shogun 1, Medieval 1, Rome 2 and Thrones of Britannia as the only TW titles I have not played. Rome 1 was my entry point.

If you'd get around to giving WH2 a go we can talk about that biggrin

So what sets this game apart in your view? Where does it improve the formula?

#4513028 - 03/27/20 01:02 PM Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Vaderini Offline
Vaderini  Offline

It was the first game I pre-ordered in about a decade, but found the Tech Tree and way units and formations get unlocked a step back from earlier titles. I love how the game revolves around characters (Really dug the Ceasar in Gaul DLC and Napoleon TW, so it is no surprise I liked it) The duelling was cool but frustratingly opaque in its mechanics, and as soon as the battle was over you'll get swamped by enemy soldiers, so using the duelling has more downsides than plus sides.

Further disappointment for me was how few armies you can place around the map (even in end-game, I only have 3 armies, covering one of the largest land countries in the world.

It's a cool game, but not a very good Total War IMHO. I don't think I'll play it at least until Troy comes out.

#4513032 - 03/27/20 01:06 PM Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Great post man. Good points and well said. Which is your favorite title?

#4513035 - 03/27/20 01:17 PM Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond

So what sets this game apart in your view? Where does it improve the formula?

As Vaderini mentioned, the focus on individual historical characters in the campaigns adds a lot to the immersion and while I do enjoy the "Romance" mode, I still prefer the "Records" mode which is more of the traditional TW formula for generals and their retinues.

The 3D battle combat mechanics are improved with greater variety of unit formations, siege weapons and deployable defenses. Plus the graphics just look gorgeous!

#4513038 - 03/27/20 01:40 PM Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Vaderini Offline
Vaderini  Offline

Phew, difficult question. Back in the day I loved Medieval 2 and have played it for years, but I played it last year again and it now feels quite dated. I think I'll go with Attila: The unit balance is miles off, it's buggy as hell and the Campaign AI doesn't play the same game you do, but I find the Battle AI actually challenging and it was also capable of surprising me for the first 150/200 hours or so. The atmosphere is also fantastic.

I really hope CA will come with a fictional TW series after the Warhammer-trology has ended. Personally I couldn't get into the fantasy setting, but as you say in your Warhammer 2 post, the fictional stuff just opens so many doors and opportunities for great gameplay.

By the way, after you've know played WH2 for some time, how do you feel about the "bonusses-only" cities? Does it feel dumbed-down?

#4513045 - 03/27/20 01:59 PM Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms [Re: Vaderini]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Vaderini
I think I'll go with Attila: The unit balance is miles off, it's buggy as hell and the Campaign AI doesn't play the same game you do,

The AI even on "normal" difficulty get cheats/buffs in all TW titles but it's even more obvious in Attila. For example, I recently played a campaign as the Huns and even with frequent sacking, it took me a long time (about 50 turns) to build up enough money to sustain 3 full armies. By comparison, when the AI plays the Huns, it already has about 7-8 full armies a few turns into the campaign and it will then have the elite Hun units like the Nokkors and the Bosphoran infantry a few turns after that.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 03/27/20 02:01 PM.

#4513048 - 03/27/20 02:26 PM Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Vaderini Offline
Vaderini  Offline

Yeah, I don't mind the AI getting buffs but in Attila it's just crazy that it is better to NOT wipe out the Huns, and leave them alive so they will hire mercenaries and NOT respawn as deathstacks. Legendoftotalwar did a good overview of further nuisances: https://youtu.be/3BTIuxjT7LU?t=469

I also forgot to say in my post about 3K: What extremely irked me about Three Kingdoms to the point of frustration was that units are 'invincible'. If you defeat an enemy unit and wipe it out completely, it will respawn a couple of turns later.

Not only does this hamper tactical and strategic options (grinding the enemy force down over several turns and battles, or chasing units post-battle until they're wiped out), but it also causes the strange situation that the enemy respawns in 4 turns, and is up to full strength in ~7 turns, while YOU, the victor, need to go back to your own land (which takes turns), and then also have a much lower replenishment rate than the destroyed units.

'Winning being a bad thing' is what annoyed me most about Attila, and that they copied it to Three Kingdoms is baffling.

Last edited by Vaderini; 03/27/20 02:28 PM.
#4513066 - 03/27/20 04:51 PM Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms [Re: Vaderini]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Vaderini

By the way, after you've know played WH2 for some time, how do you feel about the "bonusses-only" cities? Does it feel dumbed-down?

Atilla's a good shout. I really liked the campaign play. The WRE run I did was probably the most strategic TW campaign I've played. I really liked the assymetrical styles of the various factions. Playing the Ostrogoths I think it was, migrating across Europe to settle in Iberia was a lot of fun. I should get back to that game smile

As to the quoted question, the short answer is yes. I'd rather say simplified than dumbed-down, but there is no doubt that the lack of things like a squalor mechanic is easier to deal with. There are some unique buildings that DO give a malus, and you also have to consider the corruption mechanic, which is really like squalor in a sense but faction-wide and dynamic, in a sense also a weapon that can be used against you by a different race. It's the factionality that appeals to me especially, each and every faction is unique in ways no other TW title is. Like they took that idea from Atilla and injected it with cocaine. Every tech tree is unique, and well, everything is. As a result it has a replayability I didn't get out of other TW aside from Medieval 2.

Like you I played that religiously, thousands of hours easy. Mostly with Stainless Steel. Two things I miss from Med 2. One, the trait system. Equally maddening and fabulous, I miss watching my characters rise to rule with chivalry and grace while others fall in to drunken madness and leachery, lol. The second thing I miss is the whole notion of having cities be military or civic. The strategical play here, deciding where to put your recruitment centers or your economic bases was fun. Add to that you could only replenish lost troops in cities actually able to produce them made army composition and deployment deeper than in later titles.

These days, as a much older and lazier gamer, I find that the replenish-and-recruit-anywhere systems we see now are more than fine with me. Provincial and global recruitment didn't exist in the Med 2 days smile

Thanks PM, is there gunpowder in that game? Shows how much I know about it. The thing Vaderini is describing with respawning formations would bother me too I think. No way to win a war of attrition with it working that way if I understand it. And when you're in foreign lands unable to recruit yourself, this could be difficult. Assuming of course you cannot recruit in foreign lands in that game. It's like you're playing on Legendary from the off smile

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.