Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4504483 - 01/21/20 08:21 PM Re: Anyone still driving a manual transmission car [Re: Trooper117]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted by Trooper117
I'm an ageing holdout... I will never own or want to drive an automatic.

I meant actually driving a vehicle vs it being automated.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4504484 - 01/21/20 08:23 PM Re: Anyone still driving a manual transmission car [Re: oldgrognard]  
Outlaw Offline
One of the Original Four
Outlaw  Offline
One of the Original Four

The Great Northwest...
I own two Mustangs -

My 68 is an Auto

My 2015 GT is a 6 speed manual

The 15 is waaaay funner to drive.

#4504488 - 01/21/20 09:03 PM Re: Anyone still driving a manual transmission car [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
How would people be able to use their smartphones for texting and browsing the net if they have to have one hand occupied using a stick shift?

The horror....the horror...

Well, you simply have your right hand on the stick, left hand to text, your feet for the pedals, and knees for the wheel.
Quite simple really. behindcouch

#4504496 - 01/21/20 10:08 PM Re: Anyone still driving a manual transmission car [Re: Arthonon]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Originally Posted by Arthonon
Originally Posted by BlueHeron
Love driving a manual, especially in the snow. I find with automatic, the disconnect between me and the road is jarring. I can never get used to the fraction-of-a-second delay while the transmission "thinks" about what to do next.

One of the things I like about the auto in my Mustang is that I can shift with the paddles. It has two modes, Drive and Sport, and both can be fully automatic, or with Sport, you can make it manual only, so it won't shift until you tell it to. Even with in Drive mode, you can control the shifting temporarily, and that's helpful to get around the transmission having to "think." If I'm driving down the highway and a car is going slow and I want to downshift and go around, just a few flicks on the downshift paddle and I've dropped a few gears and can get right around them. You don't have to punch the throttle and wait for the transmission to figure out it needs to downshift (although in sport mode, it's pretty quick at figuring that out).

But the paddle shifters on an automatic are mostly for show. It is still an automatic. But that said, yes the paddle shifts are fun in that you can pretend it is a Formula 1 shift system.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4504499 - 01/21/20 10:16 PM Re: Anyone still driving a manual transmission car [Re: oldgrognard]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
My HiLux is a manual. Never considered anything else.

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#4504500 - 01/21/20 10:19 PM Re: Anyone still driving a manual transmission car [Re: oldgrognard]  
RedToo Online smile
RedToo  Online Smile

Bolton UK
Manual all the way. The box on my Spitfire doesn't even have syncro on first gear!

My 'Waiting for Clod' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee

Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
Elie Wiesel. Romanian born Jewish writer, professor, political activist, Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor. 1928 - 2016.

Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts. C.S. Lewis, 1898 - 1963.
#4504501 - 01/21/20 10:29 PM Re: Anyone still driving a manual transmission car [Re: oldgrognard]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
3 of our cars are manual and one is an auto

BMW 325Xi Touring - Manual - my son's "Old Timer"
BMW 318i Touring - Manual - Wife's runabout
MGZTse 400 - Manual - my sports car
Range Rover Sport TDV8 - Auto - my utility wagon - long distance cruiser - off roader, it does have a almost manual mode in "command shift"

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4504503 - 01/21/20 10:54 PM Re: Anyone still driving a manual transmission car [Re: oldgrognard]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I've had stick shift since I was 16, with a few exceptions. My current ride is an automatic. Just isn't the same. My next one will be back to a manual.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4504505 - 01/21/20 11:05 PM Re: Anyone still driving a manual transmission car [Re: oldgrognard]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted by oldgrognard
Love driving a manual, especially in the snow. I find with automatic, the disconnect between me and the road is jarring. I can never get used to the fraction-of-a-second delay while the transmission "thinks" about what to do next.

One of the things I like about the auto in my Mustang is that I can shift with the paddles. It has two modes, Drive and Sport, and both can be fully automatic, or with Sport, you can make it manual only, so it won't shift until you tell it to. Even with in Drive mode, you can control the shifting temporarily, and that's helpful to get around the transmission having to "think." If I'm driving down the highway and a car is going slow and I want to downshift and go around, just a few flicks on the downshift paddle and I've dropped a few gears and can get right around them. You don't have to punch the throttle and wait for the transmission to figure out it needs to downshift (although in sport mode, it's pretty quick at figuring that out).

But the paddle shifters on an automatic are mostly for show. It is still an automatic. But that said, yes the paddle shifts are fun in that you can pretend it is a Formula 1 shift system.

It's not using a clutch, but it does give immediate shift control. If I'm cruising in 10th gear and want to pick up some speed, I can manually downshift to 6th or 7th using the paddles about as quickly as downshifting a manual and it has the same result.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4504508 - 01/21/20 11:12 PM Re: Anyone still driving a manual transmission car [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
My father made sure we all knew how to drive a manual and parallel park before he send us to the driver's license office for our written and driving test.

Parallel parking used to be required to get your driver licence. Don't know if it still is.

First vehicle was a m'cycle but the family car was an auto '66 Chev. At the same time had a summer job where I had to drive an old Jeep which had a reverse H standard.

Generally switched back and forth between standard and auto with each vehicle I owned, the last 2 being standards. Found the 'autos' made me a lazy driver.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4504510 - 01/21/20 11:36 PM Re: Anyone still driving a manual transmission car [Re: oldgrognard]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
My last automatic was over 10 years ago, I’ve had 2 5-speed pickups and a 5-speed Jeep since then, and my current Jeep is a 6-speed. The 5-speed Jeep is in the middle of a very slow rebuild from the ground up and will be getting an automatic because they’re better in the mud.

I avoid taking the interstate anywhere whenever possible, it’s much more fun to take the back roads and give the gears a workout. The 6-speed and 4.0l in-line 6 is a really nice combination.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4504511 - 01/21/20 11:37 PM Re: Anyone still driving a manual transmission car [Re: oldgrognard]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Automatics get a bit more interesting when they're modified for performance, eliminating the soft, lazy factory shifting regime that's meant to please soy boys and soccer moms.

#4504513 - 01/21/20 11:46 PM Re: Anyone still driving a manual transmission car [Re: Arthonon]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA

It's not using a clutch, but it does give immediate shift control. If I'm cruising in 10th gear and want to pick up some speed, I can manually downshift to 6th or 7th using the paddles about as quickly as downshifting a manual and it has the same result.

Can you immediately shift into neutral ?

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4504515 - 01/22/20 12:10 AM Re: Anyone still driving a manual transmission car [Re: oldgrognard]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
My Saab Aero Sport was auto and it had shift buttons mounted on the wheel. Very inconvenient and awkward to use. They were the 2 least used buttons in the car.

Also,I prefer a traditional auto,I don't go in for these new-fangled dual transmission things.

Last edited by Chucky; 01/22/20 12:15 AM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4504519 - 01/22/20 12:47 AM Re: Anyone still driving a manual transmission car [Re: oldgrognard]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California

Can you immediately shift into neutral ?

Yes and no - the paddles don't support it, but you can push the console shifter forward and it will stop at neutral. It's not the same as true manual, but I would say that the paddles are for more than show. DCTs often allow for pulling both paddles and going into neutral that way, and it might be helpful if this auto had it, but again, I think the paddles can be very useful.

Ken Cartwright

#4504520 - 01/22/20 12:48 AM Re: Anyone still driving a manual transmission car [Re: oldgrognard]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Paddles would be fun when just getting on it accelerating, but just don’t appeal to me. I don’t think I’d ever use them. It’s the clutch and action of shifting that’s satusfying and gives a feeling of more control in all aspects of driving, not just accelerating. I still feel like my right hand and left foot should be doing something. LOL

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4504521 - 01/22/20 12:58 AM Re: Anyone still driving a manual transmission car [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
Paddles would be fun when just getting on it accelerating, but just don’t appeal to me. I don’t think I’d ever use them. It’s the clutch and action of shifting that’s satusfying and gives a feeling of more control in all aspects of driving, not just accelerating. I still feel like my right hand and left foot should be doing something. LOL

The brother lent me his 'auto' Vette one day. Hit the brake and grabbed the shift lever forgetting it was an auto (was driving a standard at the time). What a wild ride but no wreck but was close.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4504522 - 01/22/20 01:02 AM Re: Anyone still driving a manual transmission car [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite

Yeah, my left foot went for a phantom clutch for a while after getting it. It also took me a while to think of it differently than just any other auto and start using the paddles. Again, it's not the same as a true manual, but it does offer some of the same control under different circumstances. Driving on a twisty road can be fun using the paddles, as you're downshifting while braking, then upshifting exiting the corner, etc.

Ken Cartwright

#4504527 - 01/22/20 01:34 AM Re: Anyone still driving a manual transmission car [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Roudou Offline
Roudou  Offline

French countryside
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
How would people be able to use their smartphones for texting and browsing the net if they have to have one hand occupied using a stick shift?

The horror....the horror...

Believe me, it is not a problem for europeans.

And to answer the question, I still have a manual gearbox with my Celica (G)TS, and I've changed my daily car with an automatic recently, it is not I absolutely wanted an automatic, but because of what manufacturers offer nowadays in Europe.

#4504528 - 01/22/20 01:36 AM Re: Anyone still driving a manual transmission car [Re: KraziKanuK]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
[
Parallel parking used to be required to get your driver licence. Don't know if it still is.

It was for me too.

Dad picked a busy street in the neighborhood next to an apartment complex where the residents parallel parked their cars on the streets adjacent the different sides of the complex to teach me how to parallel park

So here I was trying to parallel park and it's a busy streets and there are cars coming up behind me and I am in a panic.

There are 2 lanes so they can go around me on the left lane but at same time I had to make sure it was safe for me to back up and turn without hitting anything behind me and beside me.

I was 14 years old and you can imagine the panic I was in.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.