Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4504426 - 01/21/20 02:39 PM Anyone here has played or still plays Panzer General 2 ? How the heck do you win ?  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

I mention here a friend gave me a bunch of other old PC games when he gave me Star Trek Star Fleet Command 2. https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4502318/1 Those other games being Panzer General 2 and Pacific General and Sudden Strike.

I haven't started on Pacific General and Sudden Strike but I have been playing Panzer General 2.

How do you win?

I am playing the German side and the first map in Spain, I got brilliant victory but it was tough.

I had one Stuka which was the only item I was able to purchase using the prestige point it gave me at the beginning.

Then what was left was a couple of the APC and 2 cannon and 2 troops.

Next map is Poland and using the prestige points I got from winning in Spain, I bought a tank and a ME109 and another artillery.

The map also gave me some other units.

I barely won this one too with only 6 units left: the Stuka, the ME109, couple of artillery, an APC and 2 troops.

Next one is in Finland against the Russians.

I was decimated.

I lost using all my turns and I only had one tank, one APC, one artillery, one troop, the Stuka and the ME109.

The map gave me several units that I didn't purchase, all Finland, they were all gone.

My Stuka and ME109 was useless because of the snow.

I think they only worked twice.

Now I am in Sedan with a total of the 6 units that survived Finland.

This map is not giving me any other units I didn't bring with me or purchased.

I barely have enough prestige to buy anything: 1200 points.

I think I may get me a couple of towed artillery.

It's hard to win when you are outnumbered and then keep running out of ammo and you lose a turn just refueling, rearming and replacing.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4504429 - 01/21/20 02:44 PM Re: Anyone here has played or still plays Panzer General 2 ? How the heck do you win ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
You are definitely on a retro gaming kick huh? smile

I played the heck out of Panzer General and Panzer General 2 but that was years and years ago so I'm a bit sketchy on the details. What difficulty are you playing the game on? Maybe you need to lower it.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4504437 - 01/21/20 03:30 PM Re: Anyone here has played or still plays Panzer General 2 ? How the heck do you win ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

There is a difficulty level setting?

Also when I take one of the goal squares, the enemy flag with the highlighted border, and it turns into the German flag.

If I leave it, can the enemy take it back.

In the Finland map I had to leave one troop behind in the square cos I was afraid the Russians will take it back.

Also the ones that are my own by default with the highlighted border, I don't have enough units to leave to guard them.

I have been lucky so far in the other 3 maps but I was afraid the enemy will find some way around me to go take them.

You can't see every enemy unit on the entire map until they materialize so who is to say while I am moving toward one direction, there is an enemy unit hiding behind me that I haven't come upon that will backtrack and take my starting point.

Sudden Strike suks.

I tried it.

I moved one soldier forward maybe 3 paces and boom, everything came out of nowhere and killed him and everyone behind him and around him and then they disappear.

Geeee.... if I can't see the enemy, how can I fight them?

#4504452 - 01/21/20 05:36 PM Re: Anyone here has played or still plays Panzer General 2 ? How the heck do you win ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
PG2...nice!

I haven't played in awhile but still have a working copy on my machine.

There isn't a difficulty setting really...but there is a "prestige" modifier before you start a campaign. Increase that modifier so it gives you more prestige <money> to buy more units. Probe with recon units...check the entrenchment number of units before attacking. Soften them up with artillery and air before attacking with your ground units if the number is high. On some maps I remember paratroopers being available at air fields. Taking paratroopers on an end around behind and taking one of their points helped slow them up.

This might not help much, it's been awhile and I wasn't very good when I was playing. wink

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4504453 - 01/21/20 05:46 PM Re: Anyone here has played or still plays Panzer General 2 ? How the heck do you win ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Do you guys remember "People's General"? It was set in the modern era and you could play as the Chinese, the US or Russia.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4504458 - 01/21/20 05:56 PM Re: Anyone here has played or still plays Panzer General 2 ? How the heck do you win ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

I see the modifier. It's set at 100 by default.

[Linked Image]

#4504582 - 01/22/20 02:03 PM Re: Anyone here has played or still plays Panzer General 2 ? How the heck do you win ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Great game, i just finished replaying PG Afrika Korps not so long ago. Nothing worse than that enemy units that sneaks a cap behind your front line when your closest unit is at least three moves away biggrin

Many times defense is your best offense, let him smash his units against yours and wear himself out. Sometimes you may have to reshuffle and pull back a hex or two so with his next move he has to come to you and doesn't get that free arty shot.

I always send out trash cheap inf to probe, you need to know where he is and what he has so you can decide what you are sending and where. You also need to kill his airforce asap. Fighters first if possible so your air can run amok. I always try and end a turn with my fighters covering my arty and bombers. In most cases it is no good just rushing a city and then headbutting against it. Leave a hex gap, inf and tank line, arty behind to pound it, air support to ward off his air if you haven't already sorted that.

Never lose a good or especially elite or upgraded units. Pull them back when they are low and reinforce. A reinforced unit is worth much more than a newby unit and is worth a few turns out of action. In desperate situations, buy cheap trash inf or at guns to cover them.

Every finishing move has to leave you set up for your next opening move so you have to have secure flanks and the ability to reshuffle your push for when the unexpected happens. It's like Tyson said, everyone got a plan 'til they get hit, and PG always pulls out that hit when you are not expecting it.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4504587 - 01/22/20 02:34 PM Re: Anyone here has played or still plays Panzer General 2 ? How the heck do you win ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Thank you Ajay.

My friend who gave me the game told me to have multiple saves.

Save after each move and keep several old save.

So if you don't like your move or what it caused, load the previous save and redo the move.

Save especially right before you end your turn.

I haven't tried that.

That's cheating IMO.

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
You are definitely on a retro gaming kick huh? smile

A lot of of these old games are better than what is available out there today.

How many times can you play a First Person Shooter?

I don't care if it's set in World War 2, in the future, in outer space.

Any way you wrap it and add the newest game engine and graphics, it's still a First Person Shooter.

#4504793 - 01/23/20 11:29 PM Re: Anyone here has played or still plays Panzer General 2 ? How the heck do you win ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Search for strategy guide and hints found this, 2 custom made expansion pack.

Self install program

http://www.panzercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38679

which include all these campaigns, each one has as little as 4 missions/maps to as many as 50:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_FVVBT2QAF9MWZhYWU5NDYtOWJmNS00OGVhLTk0MzktNWU1MTQ1YmUwNDYy/view

and then another add on campaign:

http://panzercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=47320

One of them is Band of Brothers.

#4504976 - 01/25/20 04:38 PM Re: Anyone here has played or still plays Panzer General 2 ? How the heck do you win ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Finally got out of Sedan with one turn left after losing and replaying again.

I am in Thermopolae now.

I found this:

http://www.peachmountain.com/5star/PG2_CampaignPaths.asp

The different campaigns based on how you win each one.

#4507302 - 02/13/20 11:49 PM Re: Anyone here has played or still plays Panzer General 2 ? How the heck do you win ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Still playing the campaign as the German.

The Russians are coming is not a lie.

In the winter with snow grounding my few Stukas, Junkers and Messerschmitts, I am fighting out to the last bullet and shell.

Then halfway through the numbers of total turns when I only see less than a handful of Russian units and thinking I got it won, I end turn.

Here comes this horde of Russians tanks, artillery, ground units, and more tanks:

not just T-34.

But also American and British made tanks I don't recognize them from their name.

I GOOGLE it and found this.

I never heard of Churchill and Matilda.

Also when I think of Russian tanks during World War 2, I think of T-34.

But look at all those other tanks and armored vehicles the Russian made.

They didn't just make the T-34.

https://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/ww2-soviet-tanks.asp

The Germans just have the same Panzer tanks with a bigger number but a newer one is not much better than the previous one than maybe a couple of improvement in attack hit points.

Then there are the Tigers and Panthers which are useless: 3-4 moves and they are out of gas.

When they are out of gas, they can't even shoot.

Also notice from 1939 to 1943 and on, the Luftwaffe has the same planes.

The Germans just kept cranking out the same things over and over and didn't make much improvements in fighters and bombers design.

Saw a couple of M-410 but even with their higher hard and soft attack rating, they turn out to be less effecting than an older Heinkel 111, Junkers 88 and Stuka.

Here you have the British and of course the Americans, keep introducing newer and better fighters, bombers, tanks, self propelled artillery anti- tank into the battlefield as World War 2 progresses on;

Germany just keep upgrading the same stuff over and not for the better.

Then they spent unlimited resources and material and manpower and money on useless stuff that wasn't going to make any difference on the battlefield to help their ground troops and armor or in the air:

the V1, the V2, the ME-262, tanks so big they don't get far without gas that Germany no longer had and they were so mechanically complicated that they were prone to breakdowns.

I once saw a documentary about German World War 2 tanks that said the Panther or the Tiger, one of them, had 16 gears transmission compared to the U.S. tanks that only had 4.

How do you expect a tank crew to fix that in the battlefield when it breaks down especially as the war progress on, the crews are new and inexperienced and poorly trained and rushed into service?

#4507439 - 02/14/20 11:31 PM Re: Anyone here has played or still plays Panzer General 2 ? How the heck do you win ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Wait until you come up against the Russian IS2 biggrin Like i was saying above, a lot of the time you have to move in blobs and bombers and fighter bombers need fighter cover. The 410 is good for attacking bombers but not so good when jumped by fighters. Supply you really need to keep an eye on, it can make or break an attack or defense. I always thought it would have been nice if they included supply trucks that supplied all units it touched and then needed to head back to city hexes for topping up.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4507451 - 02/15/20 12:35 AM Re: Anyone here has played or still plays Panzer General 2 ? How the heck do you win ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Those Russians are not only relentless, they had unlimited number of bodies to throw into the meat grinder.

Either go forward and fight the Nazis or be shot while retreating.

Hitler and his armies never stood a chance even if the Russian Winter never existed.

I watched a documentary once about the Russian war factories. Not only did they perform the scorched earth policy, they also dismantled all their factories military and non military, haul them on trains and moved them 1000 miles east.

1600 factories, move them 1000 miles east into frozen wasteland along with 16 million people needed to work those factories, using over 6200 miles of train tracks.

Then they reassembled those factories to the way they were while having to break solid frozen ground and started producing war and non war goods 24/7., all done in less than 75 days.

Amazing how they were able to do that.

Of course the penalties for failure for everyone, civilian and military, was most likely the death squad.

I am also playing a campaign as the British. Finish in East Africa and they sent me to here next. I didn't know about this World War II battle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Madagascar

#4507464 - 02/15/20 02:25 AM Re: Anyone here has played or still plays Panzer General 2 ? How the heck do you win ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
If you want a good doco on the Eastern Front watch The Great Patriotic War, an 18 part series. There used to be a dubbed version on Youtube but there is also a subtitled version. There is an older one, 20 episodes, called The Unknown War that isn't bad as well. A guy called TIK on youtube also does some great stuff, really in depth. When he focuses purely on the tactics, strategy, supply, men and leaders, particularly the myth of 'Russian Hordes' side of it he is really good. Unfortunately he let comments get to him and strayed into the political side of things and went a bit off course in his later stuff.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4507631 - 02/17/20 12:15 AM Re: Anyone here has played or still plays Panzer General 2 ? How the heck do you win ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Thank you Ajay. I will look for that.

I didn't know the Tempest and the Typhoon are almost same thing.

#4507971 - 02/20/20 07:58 AM Re: Anyone here has played or still plays Panzer General 2 ? How the heck do you win ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Those poor Poles had it rough!

They were using old airplanes and tanks against the Germans.

Airplanes with this kind of wing design. There is probably a correct name for it but I don't know it. I know it's not biplane.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_O-52_Owl

Then I get send to Norway and France, I had even less choices of artillery and fighter and no tanks to choose from.

I lost most of my tanks and artillery in Poland and I had nothing in Norway and France to choose from to replenish my army with.

They were fighting along side the French and the British to stop the Germans from entering France from Belgium and Holland.

The French and British didn't give them newer equipment?

After losing in France, they send me to North Africa to fight alongside the Australian in the defense of Tobruk.

I didn't know the Poles and Australian were at Tobruk. I looked it up and yes they were.

Only after winning two battles at Tobruk and having the Afrika Korps on the run, no longer commanded by Rommel, did the game give me newer equipment like Spitfire VC for bomber and Hurricane and Spitfire fighters.

I have been stuck using these for the 8-9 missions since the beginning of the campaign going back to 1939:

these are the fighters I had to use during the Siege of Warsaw that took me a week and over 2 dozen replays to get past it with a victory:

https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=614

https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=618

and this bomber for the entire first 7 mission from Poland to Norway and France.

https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=1795

Only did after I got to Tobruk did it give me this which were just slightly better but still pretty useless against German tanks, artillery and armored vehicles:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairey_Battle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Beaufighter

My next battle will be in Ghazala and looking it up, the allies lost big time.

Looks like I will lose this one too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Gazala

#4508045 - 02/21/20 05:44 AM Re: Anyone here has played or still plays Panzer General 2 ? How the heck do you win ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

I am still in North Africa chasing the Afrika Korps. I need to go back to school and learn some of these battles. I never heard of this one. When you hear North Africa and Afrika Korps, you think of Rommel, El Alamein, Tobruk, Kasserine Pass.

By the way, when it's 80-100 degrees outside, the inside of your car can get to 160 or more.

But you turn the A/C on and run it for a few minutes and all is fine.

Can you imagine being in a tank in North Africa? No A/C. I wonder how many tank crew on both the Axis and Allies side died from heat exhaustion from being in a hot stuffy tank breathing the stifling heat.

Attached Files thumbnail.jpg
#4508105 - 02/22/20 04:57 AM Re: Anyone here has played or still plays Panzer General 2 ? How the heck do you win ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Finally got out of North Africa, barely too.

I am still playing as the Poles.

Just got sent to Monte Cassino.

The Poles are finally getting new equipment.

Mustang III fighters, Sherman and Valentine tanks, 155 mm and 182 mm artillery, M16 AA guns mounted on motorized vehicle, Mosquito and Lancaster attack bombers, Wolverine anti tank vehicle, Cromwell Cruiser tank and even paratroopers..

I found this on Wiki, many of them I never heard or knew about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_battles

Whose job is to come up with those Operation names?

The Generals do that or their staff officers or some sergeants do that?

Do they just make up a bunch of names, throw them in a hat, and pick one out at random?

update: I need to win at Monte Cassino.

I just read the Wiki page for it and it was the Poles who captured the Abbey after 4 months of bitter fighting between Allied troops and German troops.

The flag that was raised over the Abbey to signal the capture of it was the Polish flag.

#4508137 - 02/22/20 09:09 PM Re: Anyone here has played or still plays Panzer General 2 ? How the heck do you win ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Beats me, but if you use VA and play DCS, I suggest this: https://www.vaicompro.com/

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4508145 - 02/22/20 11:54 PM Re: Anyone here has played or still plays Panzer General 2 ? How the heck do you win ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

I learn to be more on defense than on offense.

Artillery is hitch up to a truck and when you move it, it's vulnerable to air strikes and attack by ground troops and by enemy artillery when it's the A.I.'s turn.

For the first few turns I leave them there and not move them. When you end turn, the enemy will advance and those artillery will automatically fire.

They can't fire when they are stuck behind a moving truck.

I have seen single turn where all my artillery just kept firing and firing at everything that's moving toward my position.

They had 4-5 shells before I ended the turn and by the start of my next turn, most of them are down to 1 shell or are empty.

When it's my turn again, I go through all of them and resupply the ones that need ammo.

But they were very effective.

5-7 artillery firing at one enemy unit: infantry or armor, it's enough to take out that unit before it even gets close enough to do damage to my infantry and tanks.

The thing I find most useless is AA gun. Don't matter if I buy 2-3 that have a 2 or 3 range.

I try to space them out in my unit so they have the maximum coverage of the airspace over all my units.

But the enemy planes always seem to find that one single HEX here and there that my AA just happen to not cover.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.