Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4503968 - 01/16/20 09:13 PM Just discovered this title  
dawnpatrol Offline
dawnpatrol  Offline

Greetings!

Incredibly this game has remained undetected until yesterday for me, and i am so totally delighted of this! :-)

Though i am an horrible Airsim-player, i do acually own ROF with all aircraft along with it. I am also an serious WW1 history buff and a former RB3D gamer. With ROF i have mostly played on AI and mouse. This probably sounds totally retarded but since i also once was an heavily dedicated PnP roleplayer of AD&D back in the day for many many years my main reason with ROF has been the roleplaying career gameplay. Now, this didn't quite work with the lack of features and limitations in that game, but WOFF seems to have exactly what i am looking for.
So not until Monday will i be able to get the game with the DLC but i though maybe someone here could share a int or two of where to begin and what settings. I do fancy the early airwar the most.

Feel free to answer my questions and i will be even more happy!

1. If i start as early as possible, what plane would be most forgiving? (In RB3D i became an expert in brakeing my wings in harsch maneuvres heh)
2. Are gameplay /realism settings stuck on the career once it has started or can i change these later in the same career?
3. Would mouse look be allright or do i really need an Track Ir?
4. What makes an joystick good/bad in terms och tecnical data to look for?
5. How deadly are the flak? In Rof it was kindo an inevitable death sentence sooner or later.
6. I have downloaded MSCFS3 legally but i don't really need to install it to acually play WOFF, is correct?

Probably many more questions more to come,

Thanks in advance!

ps. Are there any good Career roleplaying video series apart from those few ive seen on youtube thatyou could recommend?

With best regards,

Ola

Last edited by dawnpatrol; 01/16/20 09:20 PM.
#4503974 - 01/16/20 10:16 PM Re: Just discovered this title [Re: dawnpatrol]  
hoongadoonga Offline
hoongadoonga  Offline

Greetings and welcome to WOFF. It is truly outstanding and, as you say, it sounds like it's just what you want.

I'll make a try at answering some of your questions.

1. I'm not sure about the most forgiving but the most unforgiving are the Fokker Eindeckers.

2. You can change the settings whenever you want during a pilot's career.

5. There is a ground gun accuracy setting. I don't know if it affects flak or not but I'm guessing that it does. I have it set to easy and I've never had much of a problem with flak.

6. Correct - there's no need to install it.

There's a very good FAQ file available on the website. Also, be sure to install the free skins pack, which is just incredible.

Last edited by hoongadoonga; 01/17/20 03:33 AM.
#4504007 - 01/17/20 07:45 AM Re: Just discovered this title [Re: dawnpatrol]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
3. In my opinion TrackIR is an absolute 'must have' if you plan to enjoy WOFF to its full potential.

4. You can get away with a pretty simple joystick. If you have TrackIR and don't use any 'aids' then to fly you basically just need a stick and a throttle and a trigger button. A few extra buttons will suffice for any extras like mixture up/down, time compression up/down. Go as fancy or as simple as you like.

Cheers!

#4504022 - 01/17/20 11:02 AM Re: Just discovered this title [Re: dawnpatrol]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Welcome aboard dawnpatrol, glad you have found your way at last to the greatest single-player WWI aviation combat flight sim ever. Many of us here go back to the old RB3D days, and I can say that everything you loved about that old classic has been improved upon and add to a hundred-fold in WOFF PE. I envy you all the new adventures and discoveries you are in for. And into WWI history you say? We may have things to talk about. biggrin

Enjoy, and watch your six. Oh, and this one is most important, new lads buy the drinks! cheers

Cheers,

Lou

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4504043 - 01/17/20 01:38 PM Re: Just discovered this title [Re: dawnpatrol]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Welcome aboard Dawnpatrol. I just read your thread and would like to add that you need to make sure your joystck has a twist feature to accomodate rudder or you can use rudder peddles if you have them.

Happy flying in the best overall flight sim I have had the pleasure to fly.
If you want immersion, consider joining the DiD campaign thread. Check it out.

Best Regards

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4504048 - 01/17/20 02:15 PM Re: Just discovered this title [Re: dawnpatrol]  
Burning_Beard Online content
Burning_Beard  Online Content

Red Bluff, CA
Thrustmaster has a nice reasonably priced joystick, the T16000M FCS which you can buy with or without a separate throttle quadrant. This stick is programable and has lots of bells and whistles. It is a twist stick. The throttle that you can be with it also has a rocker on the front that operates the rudder which is very easy to use and eliminates any bad inputs you may give using the twist (which you can disable), it also has a bunch of separate hats a wheels that are programable. I have had one for a couple of years and like it just as much as the more expensive Saitek stick that it replaced which would no longer work for me in Win 10 (I have no idea why not).

Beard

More Scotch and Stogies for my Wingman!
#4504072 - 01/17/20 05:30 PM Re: Just discovered this title [Re: dawnpatrol]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Welcome to the community, DawnPatriol! It's a fun group and the best sim ever. I'll take a stab at your questions.

1. If i start as early as possible, what plane would be most forgiving? (In RB3D i became an expert in brakeing my wings in harsch maneuvres heh)

The BE2 is a very easy early machine to fly without breaking, but pretty poor in a fight. The FE2 is easy to fly and fights better, but you rely on your gunner. Nieuports are fragile. The Sopwith Pup is a joy. You can fly it in an RNAS squadron from late summer of 1916.

The Fokker Eindekker is easy to stall, but is better armed. The Halberstadts come in during mid to late 1916 and are decent enough.

2. Are gameplay /realism settings stuck on the career once it has started or can i change these later in the same career?

You can adjust them during the career.

3. Would mouse look be allright or do i really need an Track Ir?

Mouse look is okay, but once you get used to TraackIR, it's hard to go back.

4. What makes an joystick good/bad in terms och tecnical data to look for?

IMO, longevity. I recently got a CH flighstick. It looks plain but is very well made and easy to work with.

5. How deadly are the flak? In Rof it was kindo an inevitable death sentence sooner or later.

AA is not too bad until the moment you think you're invulnerable. Then you're dead. Ground MG fire at low altitudes is deadly.

6. I have downloaded MSCFS3 legally but i don't really need to install it to acually play WOFF, is correct?

You're correct. Owning it makes it legal, but it's not needed to install and run WOFF.

Cheers, and new lads buy the drinks!

#4504138 - 01/18/20 07:24 AM Re: Just discovered this title [Re: dawnpatrol]  
dawnpatrol Offline
dawnpatrol  Offline

Humble thanks all for your time end effort answering me! :-) Yes i have been googled TrackIr 5 alot and i NEED that heh, just that such luxoury toys is not pos with all kids in the family etc, perhaps later on though!

I will get the game earlier than i get my joystick, thus i wonder, can i even run the game without it just for test purposes (like using AI 100%) or is it really required? For example B-17 2 was acually playable with no joystick apart from the acual bombing run and even that was doable with game tweaks.

Have a great weekend!

Ps: Raf_louvert, i guess you have watched Peter Jacksons fairly new docu They shall not grow old? That is a nice time traveller straight back into the trenches, i have never seen anything like it! Emotionally gripping and a unique masterpiece! :-)

Last edited by dawnpatrol; 01/18/20 07:29 AM.
#4504153 - 01/18/20 11:27 AM Re: Just discovered this title [Re: dawnpatrol]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
Nice to see you DP old chap!

#4504338 - 01/20/20 06:10 PM Re: Just discovered this title [Re: dawnpatrol]  
dawnpatrol Offline
dawnpatrol  Offline

Ive played it with latest ver on PE for 1 hour now and it is great! My evil instructor obviously don't want me to pass, 1st solo at 23 hrs night but i managed to make it anyway hehee.

I wonder if there is any way to enchance the looks abit though. I have graphics settings maxed out, but it is a tiny bit too dark. Does game allows overidden settings in Radeon profile, and what settings there would be suggested?

.. meanwhile, back to Next pilot training mission smile

#4505324 - 01/28/20 08:17 PM Re: Just discovered this title [Re: dawnpatrol]  
Evochron Offline
Evochron  Offline

if you search on google you can find reshade.

its free.

install into each game seperately pointing at the cfs exe.

when it asks to install something so it can run in dx8 ignore it (runs in dx9)

you run the game. upon sitting in the cockpit you can see text overlay top left.

it will say to press the home key, do that.

you can simply tick boxes to try effects. my favourite is hdr fake.

i guess if you also ticked bloom you may have what you are looking for.

note the game may freeze for quite a while when initially choosing an effect just wait.

#4505341 - 01/28/20 10:07 PM Re: Just discovered this title [Re: Evochron]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
Originally Posted by Evochron
if you search on google you can find reshade.

its free.

install into each game seperately pointing at the cfs exe.

when it asks to install something so it can run in dx8 ignore it (runs in dx9)

you run the game. upon sitting in the cockpit you can see text overlay top left.

it will say to press the home key, do that.

you can simply tick boxes to try effects. my favourite is hdr fake.

i guess if you also ticked bloom you may have what you are looking for.

note the game may freeze for quite a while when initially choosing an effect just wait.

Thanks much for this! I was wondering where it came from.

Regards,

Jeff

WOFF:UE Computer Specs and set-up:
Homebuilt Computer!
Intel i5-3570k mildly overclocked to 3.8ghz
AsRock Z75 mobo
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB (EVGA one fan version)
16 GB RAM
42 inch Sharp Aquos LCD TV with 120hz refresh
Very old (over 20 years now) Aiwa Receiver/Amplifier
Very old giant stereo speakers with newer sub-woofer
Very old Logitech Wingman joystick with two buttons and a throttle slider
Very old CH Thurstmaster analog footpedals
Manhattan analog/USB converter
W10

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM