Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4503757 - 01/14/20 03:56 PM Thoughts on MW5...?  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
So what do you guys think of MW5 so far? I haven't bought it yet, and was thinking of doing so soon. The videos look fun, but I'm not sure if there is enough content and depth to justify $50.

What do you all think?

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
#4503761 - 01/14/20 04:11 PM Re: Thoughts on MW5...? [Re: malibu43]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Did you buy and enjoy Battletech?
It's obviously different, not being a strategy game, but the presentation is the same. The thing you need to keep in mind that the "usual" streamers don't seem to have figured out, is that it isn't just MWO with AI teammates. It's a *command* game. To get the most out of the game, you need to be commanding your lance, positioning, assign targets when necessary. If you just have them follow you, you aren't letting them do their thing...and despite the common opinion, they will do it well if you know how to use them and put them in appropriate mechs.

Like any game, such as Battletech, I know I'll get tired of it eventually when the campaign story runs out. You keep on going, it doesn't end and you just keep working your mercenaries as long as you want. The game stretches out the story nicely, but I've really taken my time on it. You have to rank up to get to the next part of the story and ranking up can take some time. I just kept ranking up. There are a certain set of mission types, but due to some kind of tile system, seems to be infinite maps, plus weather effects, so it isn't so repetitive. The other day I ran across a fog covered map, something I hadn't seen up until then.

Co-op is a lot of fun, even if a very simple system. A friend can jump into your campaign, the same one as your single player campaign, and play in place of one of your AI pilots. If that person dies, the AI pilot dies. It's seamless though, coop just adds the netcode to single player. SP runs very well, co-op needs some optimizing...you see some oddities with the game assets sometimes. Nothing game breaking.

Controls are very much like MWO, but the mechs have a better, more weighty feel. It's an improvement IMO. Building is more simplified. No engine options, mechs that are supposed to have endo/ferro will come that way, you can't add it. You CAN mix single heat sinks and double heat sinks, but DHS's come later in the game in hero mechs and then will show in stores, as well gauss rifles etc. The building is still fun, just more limited because they enforce maximum sizes for hardpoints. You can put a small laser in a medium slot though, just can't go up in size.

I've got a lot of time in it already and I'm not done. I'm sure, like Battletech, I'll get bored after the story ends, but they do seem to plan on more story dlc. Battletech hasn't added story in their dlc, which is why my interest hasn't really returned to it. I think MW5 will do it better. I've got some videos up on my youtube channel if you want to check out SP and co-op.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4503779 - 01/14/20 05:47 PM Re: Thoughts on MW5...? [Re: malibu43]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
Thanks RK. Some good info, and sounds like there is plenty of depth for a very casual player like me. (I never played, Battle Tech, though).

The videos so far look fun. They definitely look much more like big stompy robots, and I like the destructable environments. Also really like all the helicopters, tanks, and turrets and blast away for some destructive fun. Much more "relaxing" than MWO...

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
#4503792 - 01/14/20 07:12 PM Re: Thoughts on MW5...? [Re: malibu43]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Yeah, it's more fun IMO. What you don't see in most videos is how the economy is a factor too. Armor repairs aren't that expensive, but losing weapons etc gets very expensive, so you have to modify your tactics for the sake of making money instead of losing money.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4503864 - 01/15/20 03:20 PM Re: Thoughts on MW5...? [Re: malibu43]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
There's some other quirks with the AI. If you give them weapons with mixed ranges and tell them to engage a target, they will close to the range of the closest ranged weapon and stay there. So if you have a LRM boat with 1 or two light or medium lasers, it will be too close for LRMS. You have to use those teammate commands and place them somewhere. Raw Kryptonite is absolutely correct about it being a "command game."

Also, the enemy comes in waves, and they just spawn in a few at a time. If you're defending a point and decide to move out to meet them, you may find yourself in a position where they are spawning right on top of you, even if you're only like 2 or 3 km from the objective.

90% of the negative reviews are negative because of one or both of those above points.

#4503885 - 01/15/20 04:56 PM Re: Thoughts on MW5...? [Re: malibu43]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
Based on the videos I've seen it certainly seems like the AI is the biggest opportunity for improvement. It doesn't seem like the enemy lances that drop in use much in terms of tactics for attacking the player. I've seen light/medium mechs just charge into the middle of player's heavy assault lance and then start trying to trade blows and then get blasted. I'd love to see a light mech run into the players lance and then turn to run once they realize they are out-matched. Or maybe not even get that close to begin with and just recon or start spotting for other mechs in the lance. Or try to flank and hit-and-run. Or something...

#4503900 - 01/15/20 09:38 PM Re: Thoughts on MW5...? [Re: malibu43]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Yes and no on the AI. They can be tough, I suspect it's randomized. I've seen them take cover, split off, pull back when it's going bad for them and lights or fast mediums circle assaults, then if not getting hit, stop and aim for the legs specifically. They aren't dumb, more of a mixed bag. The enemy assassination target might pull back to let the guard hit first...or they may charge in. There isn't a rule of thumb with them, which makes sense due to even your own AI pilots learning and improving. Some cap out with low skills, some build up to your level with high accuracy, evasion, heat mgmt etc.
Most players just have their lance "follow", which isn't productive. Give them a position and they'll defend it. They'll move up as appropriate, but then return. It's a zone defense and it works. They DO get significantly better as they progress as long as they have a decent level cap (60 being the most).

Like wormfood mentioned, you need to build the AI pilot's mechs for them. It's basically how you communicate with them. One of my best mechs is a rifleman with nothing but 2 ERPPCs. He backs off to stay in optimal range, nails air targets really well as well as ground units. The mechs I use for me are useful at any range but the best ones for AI are usually a combo of PPC and LRM. I do have a Quickdraw with just ML's and SRMs that does well.

I'd LOVE IT if they improved the game to allow me to, when preparing for the drop, to set a pilot to prioritize a type of target and range, set another to brawl, another to hit the most damaged enemy mech...things like that, but we don't have that. Maybe it can be modded in or get it in a title update? As it is, I effectively do that with builds and commands.

#4535534 - 09/01/20 10:23 PM Re: Thoughts on MW5...? [Re: malibu43]  
Azshal Offline
"Call me Az"
Azshal  Offline
"Call me Az"

Near VSFB, California
So, we nearing the tail end of the 1-year exclusivity on the Epic store.

Is anyone still playing this as their main MW game?

#4535632 - 09/02/20 05:20 PM Re: Thoughts on MW5...? [Re: malibu43]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I still play it some and I'm looking forward to it bringing some fresh blood when it comes out on Steam. The game is really good and co-op is a lot of fun.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.