Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4494501 - 10/25/19 12:02 PM Music truly is relative  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I was just looking at the nominees for this year's American Music Awards and a few things struck me.

1. The "Rock" genre as we knew it is completely gone from the mainstream.

2. The "Hip Hop" genre as we knew it is completely gone from the mainstream. It's almost been entirely replaced by R&B.

Also, how many of the nominees in the list have you heard of? I've heard of a couple like Taylor Swift and Drake but I don't listen to their music.

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/american-music-awards-nominees-revealed-1203381940/

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 10/25/19 12:03 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4494576 - 10/25/19 06:52 PM Re: Music truly is relative [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
David Kennard Offline
David Kennard  Offline

Northern Virginia, USA
The AMA awards never made any sense because for the longest time as it was based on sales & airplay so if you did any research you already knew who the winners were ahead of time.
Since 2006 they have actually voted for winners out of the top 3 in sales//airplay so at least now there is a little drama in who might win but because of how they did it before it was an awards show that just never had any interest for me.

I see that they have combined rock into a pop/rock category with only pop nominees so you are right in the AMA's not giving rock any limelight.

Another thing I remember was for the longest time you could always set your clock to Alabama winning the country group award, they once had a stretch of 8 straight years.

"I'm a hundred miles away son, ready to strike"

GPL Racing: Average Drivers Club

SimHQ Motorsports: SimHQ Motorsports

EVGA Z170 Classified K MB, Intel i7-6700K CPU, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GPU, EVGA 850 G3 PSU, Bitfenix Dawn TG Case, Windows 10,
32gb T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 3600MHz Memory, 500gb WD Black SN750 NVMe Boot Drive

#4498811 - 11/30/19 07:27 PM Re: Music truly is relative [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Even if some form of Rock became mainstream again, I probably wouldn't notice as I don't listen to radio at all anymore. I keep a mini-flashdrive in my wallet full of themed playlists and even have a 'greatest hits' MP3 CD (> 100 songs) in the rare case that USB isn't available. The 'Coolidge Effect' has also never affected my love of the same music and movies over the decades, they just never get old to me.

Plus there's no shortage of live Classic Rock around my town, from Beatles/Stones/Zep/Floyd to any number of hair band tributes and covers.

And let's face it, the really fun Rock (pre-90's) reflected more romantic and easygoing times, when guitar gods and massive drum sets ruled, which would be hard to duplicate today...

Van Halen - Van Halen II - Beautiful Girls [conservative non-video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ9h2m06sFQ

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4498869 - 12/01/19 04:53 PM Re: Music truly is relative [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I wanted to add a positive note on the demise of Rock. smile

In addition to the thousands of songs in my collection that I choose from every day...

I just purchased tickets for the Molly Ringwalds (later in month) and Hotel California (Eagles tribute). As long as I can enjoy competent live covers of the eras of Rock that I listen to (similar to enjoying Classical covers at any symphony orchestra, IMO), then Rock is most definitely NOT dead and will likely not die in my lifetime. Whatever is currently mainstream or viral at the moment is irrelavent.

Plus you still hear Rock all the time... LSU vs. Alabama, how many times did 'Bama's stadium play the opening bell and chords to AC/DC's "Hells Bells"? Lovin' it! biggrin

My Rock isn't going anywhere.

The sun is in the east
#4499104 - 12/03/19 07:16 PM Re: Music truly is relative [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Doing a little lunchtime reading, I'm convinced that Rock music (at least the Rock I grew up with) will never become mainstream again. Apparently, to embrace this type of Rock is to embrace your male whiteness and misogynist toxic masculinity...or something like that. Nah, it ain't coming back and neither are Rock videos.

Not that Rock ever *needed* videos (although fun to watch), but we'll never see another "Hot For Teacher" or "Hot Legs" video which objectifies women and worse, glorifies skinny white women (obviously appealing to closeted homosexual pedophiles). rolleyes

Grunge isn't coming back either, "...nothing but whiny white boy music." Besides, teenagers/young adults decide what's mainstream and Rock is their father's and grandfather's dinosaur music (we once felt the same way, right?). Plus, you can't dance or twerk to it. biggrin

Anyway, at least there's Greta Van Fleet (Led Zeppelin reincarnated) and the other underground stuff, so Rock is out there for those who want to dig for something new. I'll stick with what I've got...

AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long (Official Video)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo2qQmj0_h4

I'll end my rant with an interesting quote...

==========
"Is there a chance? Can the optimism and terror of the 1950s, 60s, 70s, 80s, be recreated? In 5 years, if a college kid yells, ‘Sex, drugs, and Rock-n-Roll’, he will be arrested for hate speech."
==========

The sun is in the east
#4499105 - 12/03/19 07:28 PM Re: Music truly is relative [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by MarkG
I'm convinced that Rock music (at least the Rock I grew up with) will never become mainstream again.

Never say never. Music sometimes has these short lived fads where an old music genre comes back in style for a couple of years and then it fades again. Remember the late 90's fad with 40's era big band music? You had that "Mambo #5" song and also "Zoot Suit Riot" which were big hits at the time. I have no doubt that the 70's/80's "classic" rock genre will experience this as well sometime in the future.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4499138 - 12/04/19 02:11 AM Re: Music truly is relative [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
PM, I missed the late-90's Big Band resurgence, having already tuned out of current music. Then it was television and movies, I'm many years behind now.

I remember an airshow in New Orleans a few years back, the Blue Angels taxiing and then taking off to AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" followed by Mötley Crüe's "Kickstart My Heart". In fact, I heard allot of Classic Rock that day so it still gets played everywhere. My local Goodwill is always playing 80's Rock and Pop.

If Rock ever returns to mainstream (and that's a big if), I think it'll be so watered down that it'll hardly resemble Classic Rock. That style of music just isn't cool anymore (I think it's now called "Dad Rock"). biggrin But again, youths decide pop culture. We had our turn and thankfully technology allows us to enjoy the nostalgia through YouTube and Ticketmaster. I have no complaints.

The sun is in the east
#4499158 - 12/04/19 11:28 AM Re: Music truly is relative [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
But again, youths decide pop culture. .

This is absolutely correct.

I don't remember the exact line but there's a scene with James Bond in "Goldfinger" (came out in 1964) where he finds a Beatles album in his hotel room and he makes some kind of snide remark about the youth of today having no taste in music.

It's all relative. smile

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 12/04/19 11:29 AM.

#4499185 - 12/04/19 04:30 PM Re: Music truly is relative [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Talking music with family Millennials (born late-90's to early-2000's), I've adjusted my attitude...

1. It does no good to compare decades since people are biased to the music they came of age with (at 52, I prefer 70's with 80's close behind, with some 60's and 90's).

2. Even what's good and bad in each decade isn't always agreed upon. For example, I enjoy sappy power ballads even more than I did in the 80's (i.e. April Wine's "Just Between You and Me", Journey's "Faithfully", Scorpions' "Still Loving You"), while an angry Punk type might detest them (and vice versa). smile

3. Is Rock dead? Is radio dead? Is streaming taking over iTunes? Can a 50 year-old Rockers' hearing really tell the difference between 320+ MP3 and CD on less than Hi-Fi?

Man, I have no idea. I just know that I'm enjoying my music collection and live performances as much as ever. Music isn't a sedentary form of entertainment (unless you want it to be), I can move while I listen, usually being motivated to move. Even at a seated venue, I plan ahead for additional walking and other calorie burning activities.

4. 'Music truly is relative.' smile

The sun is in the east
#4499239 - 12/05/19 11:31 AM Re: Music truly is relative [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Those are all valid points Mark. There's at least one aspect of music that isn't subjective and that is legacy/influence. For example, you may have someone who doesn't care at all for Beatles music but there is absolutely no denying the massive influence and legacy that the Beatles left behind on both popular culture and the musical art form. For every Beatles though there are probably at least 100 or more bands who have been completely forgotten by the passage of time.

#4499259 - 12/05/19 03:59 PM Re: Music truly is relative [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
<I'm at the library taking a study break, will return to this tonight when I get home.>

Wondering, what is the modern equivalent to 80's nerd rock? biggrin

Rush-Chemistry (Lyrics)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P82QaROf6_Y

The sun is in the east
#4499261 - 12/05/19 04:03 PM Re: Music truly is relative [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Wondering, what is the modern equivalent to 80's nerd rock? biggrin

There is none.

You really can't beat Rush when it comes to intellectual and esoteric lyrics. For me, "Xanadu" is the ultimate example.

#4499286 - 12/05/19 10:22 PM Re: Music truly is relative [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Also "Natural Science".

I'll have to challenge my Millennial family to find me a current song that...

A. Makes you want to wrap up your girl with one arm while pumping your fist with the other yelling, "#%&*$# Yeah!", and all without spilling your beer! biggrin

The guy at 2:35 gets it...

Tesla - Love Song (Official Music Video)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2q_-xN2N54

B. Rawks conservatism...

Georgia Satellites ~ Keep Your Hands To Yourself (1986)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Qweq3BgJA

The 80's may have been decadent and hedonistic, but while we were shouting at the devil (song about drugs), celebrating strippers (another Mötley Crüe reference) and fighting for our right to party, there was an ever present Reagan-era conservative undercurrent that kept things balanced (along with all the power ballad love songs that most Europeans hate). biggrin

++++++++++

Still, the 1970's had the best music to me (judging by my regular albums and the extreme crapload of Greatest Hits [currently listening to Paul Simon, next ELO and then Earth Wind & Fire]).

So what's the modern day "Dark Side of the Moon"? I remember people thinking it was Radiohead's "OK Computer" (although late 90's). That's about when I checked out.

The sun is in the east
#4502912 - 01/07/20 12:57 AM Re: Music truly is relative [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Let us not forget as we begin the new decade, that we can still...what?...

Night Ranger - (You Can Still) Rock In America (Live 1983)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RMA-1oWISQ

++++++++++

What dunderhead would want to build a DeLorean time machine in 1985?! I mean, you're already there! Where else would you want to be? biggrin

The sun is in the east
#4502935 - 01/07/20 11:42 AM Re: Music truly is relative [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

What dunderhead would want to build a DeLorean time machine in 1985?! I mean, you're already there! Where else would you want to be? biggrin

You know you're old when the year Marty traveled back to (1955) is a lower number of years from the time of the film than when the film was released to our time NOW.

#4502983 - 01/07/20 08:22 PM Re: Music truly is relative [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
You know you're old when the year Marty traveled back to (1955) is a lower number of years from the time of the film than when the film was released to our time NOW.

Yup. old_simmer And to think that the movie's flying car future was already over 4 years ago! eek2

But what a scene!...

BTTF 1955 Hill Valley Mr. Sandman...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY2w2-CAKgM

I know the 50's had plenty of problems but the clean streets, well dressed and behaved people... I like how the movie emphasizes some differences between 1955 and 1985 at the same location. I lean conservative (sometimes *very* conservative) so an alternate universe 50's would work for me, although I'd miss 70's/80's music.

But I could live with this...

CHUCK BERRY : Johnny B. Goode (1958) HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKCt8ssC7cs

Oh man, what would replace Journey's "Faithfully" and Bryan Adams' "Heaven"?...

The Penguins - Earth Angel (1954) (1973)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ledtDi7xHTo

Last edited by MarkG; 01/13/20 05:24 PM. Reason: Removed possible PWEC

The sun is in the east
#4503644 - 01/13/20 05:52 PM Re: Music truly is relative [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Thinking more about this, something I doubt happens today (but I really don't know)...

1991...driving to work, usually listening to 96Rock Atlanta. I walk into the break room for morning coffee and ask (or am asked by) the guys, "Dude, you hear the new Pearl Jam song?" "Yeah, it's pretty good."

IIRC, the order of radio play was "Alive", "Black" and then "Jeremy". We (mostly 20's) then went to a music store to buy the "Ten" CD. Everyone was hearing the same music at the same time (as with pre-cable TV) and evaluating it or planning for the impending concert.

Also, it didn't matter if the 70's, 80's and 90's had as much crap music (like bad Pop or genres I don't listen to) as any other decade. You turned on Rock radio and you got LOTS of great NEW music, at the time being more Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, etc., even some new Rush (i.e. "Presto") and Metallica (i.e. "Black Album") that I liked.

Does this still happen around the office coffee pot or water cooler?

The sun is in the east
#4503668 - 01/13/20 09:55 PM Re: Music truly is relative [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Copying from another thread...

new Hard Rock or Metal again:

If there is any new hard rock or Metal it must be underground/indie type stuff because those genres don't exist anymore at the mainstream level.

So true. Not long ago I YouTube sampled what's considered to be Rock on the Billboard charts and just shook my head (although I expected it).

And it's not that I'm too lazy to go digging for new *real* Rock, I'm just not compelled to do so. I do sample Rock that gets posted on the " What Are You Listening To Right Now?" thread and sometimes I hear a song that's ok, but usually nothing so outstanding that I want repeat listens. Maybe I'm too closed-minded with age, but I'm ok with that.

Most currently hip socially relevant music is by young people *for* young people, I don't feel a need to be a part of it (like shunning social media...except for this place smile ). When I go to a concert, I prefer the majority of the audience to be my age as that's what I'm comfortable with. Seems to me that most new Rock artists (at least the charters) are trying to be diversified with Rap/Hip Hop influence. I guess this makes sense in our current culture, but it's not something I'm interested in. I like my old-school Rock. The RUN DMC - Aerosmith collaboration was pretty cool but didn't convert me.

Someone once asked me if staying behind the times makes me feel old. Nah, quite the opposite. I only feel old when I take an extended break from daily stretching and exercising, and/or when I overeat. You're only as old as how you feel when you get out of bed in the morning.

The sun is in the east
#4503736 - 01/14/20 01:09 PM Re: Music truly is relative [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I prefer the majority of the audience to be my age as that's what I'm comfortable with. .

I studied the audience intently at the Rush concert I went to a few years ago for the Clockwork Angels tour. I'd say the majority of people there were older than me (in their late 40's, 50's and even 60's). I did see a handful of people who looked like they were in their 30's. I will also add that the audience was roughly 50/50 male/female but what really struck me is that I didn't see one single black person.

#4503812 - 01/14/20 11:23 PM Re: Music truly is relative [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I prefer the majority of the audience to be my age as that's what I'm comfortable with. .

I studied the audience intently at the Rush concert I went to a few years ago for the Clockwork Angels tour. I'd say the majority of people there were older than me (in their late 40's, 50's and even 60's). I did see a handful of people who looked like they were in their 30's. I will also add that the audience was roughly 50/50 male/female but what really struck me is that I didn't see one single black person.

Typical of any Classic Rock concert.

If you scroll halfway this thread you'll see a Kansas audience (although much smaller than Rush)...
Kansas, Sat. Aug. 26, Raising Cane's River Center Theater

Some true seniors in attendance and the only blacks were the girls who worked for the facility (the ones up front in yellow uniforms, don't know if they stuck around for the show). I wonder what the race ratio would be for an oldies black act (even if just a tribute) like the Commodores, Earth, Wind & Fire, Kool & the Gang, etc.? I don't know but I would love to personally find out! smile I'm guessing, as with many of the black artists in my music library, you'd see a lot of whites.

BTW, some years back Kool & the Gang were supposed to open for Van Halen but I don't know if it actually happened (a VH tour was really iffy then).

++++++++++

Thinking about that Kansas show...

The River Center Theater (with upper section) is the perfect size to me with 2,000 seats versus the adjacent arena with 10,400 seats (which is still small for a concert arena).

The pros to a theater (or theatre?) vs. an arena are:
- less crowd.
- less traffic with easier parking (unless other stuff is going on in downtown Baton Rouge).
- better sound.

The pros to an arena are:
- large crowd energy.
- lingering pot fog, smells great and enhances any laser show.

I'm done with arenas, and definitely done with driving to New Orleans to the larger Smoothie King Arena (next to Superdome). Just too much hassle, Rush R40 was the last.

The sun is in the east
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.