Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4499514 - 12/08/19 11:26 AM DCS World, Real world vs simulation discussion.  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
There are numerous tutorial video's regarding DCS world vs real world and what is possible and not possible in the sim compared to real life events.

over the coming days, weeks, months etc, I will upload some very dodgy 'one take' comparisons between what can be achieved in the sim whilst mythbusting real world events.

Keep in mind, I really can not be fkd editing any of my video's, let alone ensuring correct procedures are carried out whilst recording these comparisons. Such an example can be found in my 1st upload of a wheels up landing.

Notice I did not jettison any of the pylons, did not dump fuel and just jumped right on in to bring you all the worst quality of video I could muster in the 2 odd minutes of filming.

Big shout out to the 'p-bay' for the 'free' version of fraps and sony vegas. with out the 'P-bay', none of this would be possible.

Sound is on par with the recording quality....complete garbage as is to be expected with these 1 take's and zero effort video editing of the background noise and what ever else.

next up, is it possible to crash into trees and survive.....plenty of real world video's of aircraft plummeting into trees with pilots & passengers walking away....is it possible to reproduce in the simulator? only time will tell.

This will be followed up with a 'Sully' inspired landing on the make believe Hudson river. I seriously need to open an excel spread sheet and jot down some of these inspirations so I can keep track of what is and not tested so far before the start of every video.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4499518 - 12/08/19 12:17 PM Re: DCS World, Real world vs simulation discussion. [Re: Winfield]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
What we can gather so far is that DCS needs a complete overhaul. Attempting a take off well past the maximum takeoff weight and aiming for the trees is just not possible when compared to real life.

After all, the simmers expect nothing but the best when it comes to comparisons of sim vs reality. Rather than do 3 or 4 out takes of the same video, 1 take should be suffice, IRL, many professional pilots do not get 2 or 3 attempts to prove a theory or 'what could they have done differently"

As in the previous video. Absolutely zero attempt at editing the sound etc. May want to turn the volume down for the 2nd part of the video.

#4499549 - 12/08/19 05:58 PM Re: DCS World, Real world vs simulation discussion. [Re: Winfield]  
mdwa Offline
mdwa  Offline

Way over in Perth, Western Aus...
I used to use Xtree gold

mdwa
#4499552 - 12/08/19 07:05 PM Re: DCS World, Real world vs simulation discussion. [Re: mdwa]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Originally Posted by mdwa
I used to use Xtree gold

Same here, Windows 3.1 was over rated back in my day.

#4499649 - 12/09/19 12:03 PM Re: DCS World, Real world vs simulation discussion. [Re: Winfield]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
This time we used a bit of initiative, correct sequence of events leading up to the bird strike, engines flaming out. Worthy of an aircraft investigations doco.

#4499662 - 12/09/19 01:41 PM Re: DCS World, Real world vs simulation discussion. [Re: Winfield]  
mdwa Offline
mdwa  Offline

Looked like you were on the OP Bundys flying that one...

Last edited by mdwa; 12/09/19 01:42 PM.

mdwa
#4499714 - 12/09/19 07:25 PM Re: DCS World, Real world vs simulation discussion. [Re: mdwa]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Looked like you were on the OP Bundys flying that one...

I thought the same thing watching the sully movie. No way could he have ditched it sobre.😂

Sully had to be off his guts, and if you look closely, the arthritis played a huge part in how gentle the landing was.

#4499986 - 12/11/19 11:26 PM Re: DCS World, Real world vs simulation discussion. [Re: Winfield]  
NineLine Offline
ED Community Manager
NineLine  Offline
ED Community Manager

BC, Canada
I can't help but feel your belly up landing was more about comparing what happens when a Maverick hits the ground smile

For the water landing, I think you might have got the Sully movie and Top Gun mixed up biggrin

#4500207 - 12/13/19 03:40 PM Re: DCS World, Real world vs simulation discussion. [Re: Winfield]  
Chaz Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Chaz  Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls

So much has to go right for a successful water landing/ditching. Pilot skill plays a huge part but the best conditions are simply good timing... luck... whatever you want to call it.

Imagine if it was a low overcast winter day that New York day and Sully’s airplane hit the flock of geese at say 800’ AGL just before entering the clouds. The outcome would’ve been completely different.

Not to take anything away from Sully. But there have been several mostly successful water landings prior to his. When I say mostly successful, not everyone survived.

There is TACA flight 110 back in 1988. A B737-300 from Belize to New Orleans which lost all engine power and successfully landed on a grass levee. The pilots initially planned to ditch in a canal.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#4500214 - 12/13/19 04:20 PM Re: DCS World, Real world vs simulation discussion. [Re: Chaz]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Originally Posted by Chaz
So much has to go right for a successful water landing/ditching. Pilot skill plays a huge part but the best conditions are simply good timing... luck... whatever you want to call it.

Imagine if it was a low overcast winter day that New York day and Sully’s airplane hit the flock of geese at say 800’ AGL just before entering the clouds. The outcome would’ve been completely different.

Not to take anything away from Sully. But there have been several mostly successful water landings prior to his. When I say mostly successful, not everyone survived.

There is TACA flight 110 back in 1988. A B737-300 from Belize to New Orleans which lost all engine power and successfully landed on a grass levee. The pilots initially planned to ditch in a canal.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Imagine if sully didn't practically stall it into the Hudson and hit the water at a much greater speed than he did. It was the stall speed and nose up that saved the lives off the passengers. High speed would have ripped the plane to shreds with the drag created by the engines.

#4500216 - 12/13/19 04:38 PM Re: DCS World, Real world vs simulation discussion. [Re: Winfield]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
"Not to take anything away from Sully. But there have been several mostly successful water landings prior to his. When I say mostly successful, not everyone survived."

Sully's landing isn't really what all that hoopla was about, in my opinion. A lot of pilots have made sucessful water landings with land based airplanes. It was the spot on decision making that is so crucial in a situation like that. He had controllers trying to tell him that he could make the nearby airports. But he immediately saw that he couldn't. The simulations of the event would prove him correct.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4501718 - 12/27/19 02:02 PM Re: DCS World, Real world vs simulation discussion. [Re: Winfield]  
mdwa Offline
mdwa  Offline

Mate I am awaiting your next video eagerly.

Perhaps this one?
https://youtu.be/LVsE69lB0nw

https://youtu.be/cE4aNKt177Q

mdwa
#4501788 - 12/28/19 09:03 AM Re: DCS World, Real world vs simulation discussion. [Re: Winfield]  
Chaos Offline
Chaos  Offline

Originally Posted by Winfield
What we can gather so far is that DCS needs a complete overhaul. Attempting a take off well past the maximum takeoff weight and aiming for the trees is just not possible when compared to real life.

I'm not quite sure I understand you correctlly here...

Taking off with more than max. t/o weight is perfectly doable in real life. Chief Pilot might want to have a chat with you if he ever finds out though... Also, aiming for the trees would never be attempted because you are going to break your plane ànd your limbs (yours! not just the trees'! )

Your point being...?

"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage..."
#4501839 - 12/29/19 01:57 AM Re: DCS World, Real world vs simulation discussion. [Re: Chaos]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Originally Posted by Chaos
Originally Posted by Winfield

I'm not quite sure I understand you correctlly here...

Taking off with more than max. t/o weight is perfectly doable in real life. Chief Pilot might want to have a chat with you if he ever finds out though... Also, aiming for the trees would never be attempted because you are going to break your plane ànd your limbs (yours! not just the trees'! )

Your point being...?

You have missed concept of this thread entirely.

Grim Reapers like to test real life events and play the scenario out in DCS. There is no "point being....."

I have been encouraged to carry out a few tests of my own, currently that outcome persuaded me that real life events don't seem work out as well in the sim.

By all means, feel free to carry out a few real world vs simulation scenarios and test and report on your own findings, mine speak for themselves.

#4502709 - 01/05/20 08:21 AM Re: DCS World, Real world vs simulation discussion. [Re: Winfield]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
In yet another real world vs simulation....this time I see if it is actually possible to lower and raise the landing gear in DCS world.

#4502711 - 01/05/20 09:00 AM Re: DCS World, Real world vs simulation discussion. [Re: Winfield]  
mdwa Offline
mdwa  Offline

Wow, they actually work!

It's good you are keeping the stats in an Excel spreadsheet, particularly if you need to report any bugs to ED.

mdwa
#4502713 - 01/05/20 09:48 AM Re: DCS World, Real world vs simulation discussion. [Re: mdwa]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Wow, they actually work!

It's good you are keeping the stats in an Excel spreadsheet, particularly if you need to report any bugs to ED.

The last item in the spreadsheet list is still to be tested smile

#4502734 - 01/05/20 03:36 PM Re: DCS World, Real world vs simulation discussion. [Re: Winfield]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
You've just surpassed the official ED test team activity right there!

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4502929 - 01/07/20 10:59 AM Re: DCS World, Real world vs simulation discussion. [Re: Winfield]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
next up.....

Questioned: Is It possible to take a dump in the home toilet with the aircraft on autopilot. (Complete with sounds)

Numerous flights have taken place over the years where the captain or 1st officer have left the cockpit to pump out Christs last supper. Is it possible to achieve this in the home cockpit.

As I carry out the experiment over several days, I won't have any video footage up before the weekend.....however, as I test real world vs simulation. Can real world be simulated within the realms of simulated digital combat.
Dropping GBU-12's on a simulated battleship.... in the simulated world.

I am looking forward to the tacview to see where the turds....I mean....bombs land.......

In the meantime, in case you missed it. Questioned: "is he speaking from muff diving experience" The Answered: stay tuned.....we will all need masks after my 'bombed' post

[Linked Image]

from the source....

Questioned:

**be sure to donate to my patreon monthly where you will receive absolutely nothing**

my patreon is here: Questioned.com\itsmellsbadinhere\sotakeoffallyourjocks\i'mai'mai'magonnatakeadumphere.

No it's not. Questioned: but is it??

#4503458 - 01/12/20 11:58 AM Re: DCS World, Real world vs simulation discussion. [Re: Winfield]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
As promised,

filmed over several days, complete with TACVIEW. However the 'questioned' is answered....Is it actually possible to pump out a turd\s with the aircraft on Autopilot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.