Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4497994 - 11/22/19 09:37 PM Re: TrackIR Setup Guide for WOFF / WOTR [Re: HarryH]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
kksnowbear;

I agree that there are scenarios that can reproduce the stutters. I have encountered same. That said, what has not yet been determined successfully to my satisfaction is the direct cause of those stutters. It may not be due to any single component code or hardware but more likely to a perfect storm scenario where cpu/gpu demand exceeds capacity due to complexity of mission factors. example, I can always generate stutters at the approach of all the closely knit airfields near Roucourt and when you add to this mission complexity it can get very obvious. I think what we would all like to find is how to overcome this and there is in my opinion no magic bullet that can be applied to all systems as you are no doubt aware.

In the end it is human nature to tinker to find the sweet spot that makes things acceptable to the player. I appreciate others who think they have found that sweet spot and are willing to elaborate on their efforts even if they are not experts in the field. I take that knowledge as it is offered and in the end draw my own conclusions. If I can support the stance with my own testing effort I will do so. If not, I will chime in that "it doesn't work for me".

In the case of which you speak, the user feels that they have solved the stutters problem. It is obvious they are not experiencing any at this time. The truth will prove itself in time, and I hope that user will acknowledge if his solution fails to cut the mustard so to speak. I have no idea how knowledgeable this member is so I am in no position to criticize.
I am myself, rather skeptical, that he has found the one size fits all solution, but I would rather keep an open mind. As long as we are searching for a solution, there is a chance we might find one. Let's not give up. The devs of OBD have overcome many of the issues that bothered us in the past so progress is being made.

Best Regards

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Pwr Sup: OCZ, GameXStream,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4498010 - 11/22/19 11:20 PM Re: TrackIR Setup Guide for WOFF / WOTR [Re: HarryH]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

I assume I'm "the user" in question. I have blocked kksnowbear. I am tired of his arrogance and I refuse to read any more of his snarky, unhelpful comments.

I don't believe there is a "one size fits all" solution to the stutters either. Each machine is different and there are multiple factors in play. My machine is stutter free at this point but I readily admit this may not still be the case when our campaign advances into 1917 / 1918. I've tried a few QCs in 1918 but it's not the same stress test as campaign mode.

I've amended my TrackIR setup guide to include a warning about Realtime mode. I'm still using it and it's working perfectly well with no negative effects whatsoever. Joystick response is fine, SSD isn't chugging. TrackIR and WOFF are running on completely separate cores. I do agree with kksnowbear's previous comments about consistent frame rates and I have preached the virtues of G-SYNC running at 1/2 refresh rate to deliver a rock solid 72FPS for some months now. That's definitely been a big part of taming the stutters for me.

As for credentials, kksnowbear thinks he's the world's gaming PC expert. I built my own rig and I just completed a PC build for a video editor (msi x299 gaming pro carbon ac with i9 LGA 2066, 64GB DDR 3200 mem and Nvidia RTx2800), so yes, I know what I'm doing for the most part. I just don't brag about it.

I can't believe how amazing WOFF PE is, all things considered. I also can't quite believe how much better it's running for me than UE was this time last year, but I have worked pretty hard at it and I've spent some $$ on hardware. I've shared my discoveries and I've benefited from the knowledge of others in this community (Panama Red, yourself, Buckeye Bob, Ankor and many more). Onwards and upwards, minus the bear smile

#4498021 - 11/23/19 12:06 AM Re: TrackIR Setup Guide for WOFF / WOTR [Re: HarryH]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Harry;

For my benefit, would you kindly explain what your personal system consists of. Since you seem to have so far, put the stutters to bed, I would like to compare it against mine as a base starting point. Following this I will probably try your solution.

Best Regards

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Pwr Sup: OCZ, GameXStream,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4498024 - 11/23/19 12:56 AM Re: TrackIR Setup Guide for WOFF / WOTR [Re: HarryH]  
Stache Online content
Stache  Online Content

Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by HarryH
I assume I'm "the user" in question. I have blocked kksnowbear. I am tired of his arrogance and I refuse to read any more of his snarky, unhelpful comments.

I don't believe there is a "one size fits all" solution to the stutters either. Each machine is different and there are multiple factors in play. My machine is stutter free at this point but I readily admit this may not still be the case when our campaign advances into 1917 / 1918. I've tried a few QCs in 1918 but it's not the same stress test as campaign mode.

I've amended my TrackIR setup guide to include a warning about Realtime mode. I'm still using it and it's working perfectly well with no negative effects whatsoever. Joystick response is fine, SSD isn't chugging. TrackIR and WOFF are running on completely separate cores. I do agree with kksnowbear's previous comments about consistent frame rates and I have preached the virtues of G-SYNC running at 1/2 refresh rate to deliver a rock solid 72FPS for some months now. That's definitely been a big part of taming the stutters for me.

As for credentials, kksnowbear thinks he's the world's gaming PC expert. I built my own rig and I just completed a PC build for a video editor (msi x299 gaming pro carbon ac with i9 LGA 2066, 64GB DDR 3200 mem and Nvidia RTx2800), so yes, I know what I'm doing for the most part. I just don't brag about it.

I can't believe how amazing WOFF PE is, all things considered. I also can't quite believe how much better it's running for me than UE was this time last year, but I have worked pretty hard at it and I've spent some $$ on hardware. I've shared my discoveries and I've benefited from the knowledge of others in this community (Panama Red, yourself, Buckeye Bob, Ankor and many more). Onwards and upwards, minus the bear smile

HarryH I agree with all you said, I have had that person blocked for quite some time for all the same reasons.

I thought your Idea was worth a shot, to bad it did not work out for me, really glad it is working for you.

Please keep'em coming - you never know what might turn out to work.

Regards,

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. A. Einstein

(System Specs:)

I7-6700k OC 4.4GHZ, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz; Gigabyte Gaming 7 MB, G1 OC'ed GTX980ti; Three-Acer XB271HU WQHD Gsync 144Mhz; Samsung 950-512GB NVMe SSD; WD 2TB-7200rpm; Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Nepton 240M cooler, V1000 PS; Windows 10 PRO; VKB GunfighterPro Stick; Thrustmaster TPR Pedals; Saitek Throttle; Dual TM MFD panels; TrackIR 5
#4498027 - 11/23/19 12:59 AM Re: TrackIR Setup Guide for WOFF / WOTR [Re: HarryH]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

MSI Z370-A PRO mobo

Intel i5-8600K @ 3.6GHz

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz

Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB

Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5

Dell S2716DG monitor @2176 x 1224, 144Hz rr (WOFF looks gorgeous at this resolution. Videos don't do it justice).

Not exactly top of the line. There's more to all this than horsepower, although raw power doesn't hurt I suspect smile I think it's about balancing every aspect of the system in an optimal way. That includes WOFF workshop settings.

I'm happy to discuss more of this with you via PMs. Frankly, I'm tired of trying to help people publicly and constantly having my threads hijacked. Too bad really.

#4498081 - 11/23/19 02:02 PM Re: TrackIR Setup Guide for WOFF / WOTR [Re: HarryH]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
B.O.C. Challenger
Rick_Rawlings  Offline
B.O.C. Challenger

Since this is now the stickied Track-IR thread, I know I would find it useful if people could post some good profiles or links to them and maybe HarryH would be kind enough to edit them into a section in the first post. I am always looking for a better profile! salute

#4498135 - 11/24/19 03:19 AM Re: TrackIR Setup Guide for WOFF / WOTR [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Originally Posted by Rick_Rawlings
Since this is now the stickied Track-IR thread, I know I would find it useful if people could post some good profiles or links to them and maybe HarryH would be kind enough to edit them into a section in the first post. I am always looking for a better profile! salute

Sure, no problem. I'll put my current profile up there to kick things off...

#4502754 - 01/05/20 07:43 PM Re: TrackIR Setup Guide for WOFF / WOTR [Re: HarryH]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Originally Posted by HarryH
Originally Posted by Rick_Rawlings

Sure, no problem. I'll put my current profile up there to kick things off...

Hi Harry,

Hope you are doing well in the New Year! I haven't had much time to chime in on the boards lately - RL is as busy as ever and it seems my flying time was scant over the last six months. I wanted to post, however, to thank you for all of your efforts in smoothing out WOFF. I tried applying your settings for TrackIR, as well as your workshop settings in WOFF:PE. Our system specs are pretty similar except for video cards and monitors, which you are leading on biggrin

Dropping the roll rates down to 0 in TrackIR seems to help, but for me, and I think this is the case since we are running nearly identical processors, is getting TrackIR off of Core 0. Once it's not fighting with CFS3, the head panning works much better. I'm not seeing a huge difference between Realtime processing or leaving it be, but moving it away from competing cores is huge - at least with this chip set. The other change that's had a massive impact are your workshop settings. I copied them verbatim and I notice a MASSIVE improvement in the sim's smoothness. I am no longer getting any hangups looking around in sim. Pausing the sim on startup and then panning around a few times with the exterior camera loads everything up nicely and from there, it's been smooth sailing, even in 1918 with medium air activity.

I think the biggest difference between your approach and what I've tried is that you are willing to drop the graphics back further than you think they need to go. That leaves a bit of a buffer so that when the sim gets busy there's enough slack left in the engine and the computer's hardware to keep things going smoothly.

Can't thank you enough. I'm also doubly impressed that you managed this with no mods, no editors, and no outside help. This is an extremely solid baseline, especially if you are running in the 3.6ghz range of processors.

Cheers Harry!

#4502871 - 01/06/20 06:02 PM Re: TrackIR Setup Guide for WOFF / WOTR [Re: CaptSopwith]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Excellent! You are most welcome, and it's great to get the feedback that this stuff has helped you. Props to RAF Louvert who originally tipped me off the the CPU 0 thing.

Yes the detail settings are a useful dial to help balance performance. The other one is air activity. I'm very glad you've taken the time to experiment and find some improvements for yourself.

Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
What's the longest movie you've seen in the theater?
by PanzerMeyer. 02/24/20 04:18 PM
'Microjets' are so cool.
by MarkG. 02/24/20 05:41 AM
And This Year's "Darwin Award" Goes to...
by vonBaur. 02/24/20 12:25 AM
The most popular games on Steam
by PanzerMeyer. 02/23/20 02:10 PM
Anyone use VoiceAtttack?
by bones. 02/21/20 01:50 PM
Fanatical Platinum Bundle
by Red2112. 02/21/20 12:21 PM
Raising the Kursk
by CyBerkut. 02/20/20 11:09 PM
Borderlands the movie?
by PanzerMeyer. 02/20/20 07:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.