Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 123 of 366 1 2 121 122 123 124 125 365 366
#4502606 - 01/04/20 02:22 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Raine, it’s a date! Toby is pencilling in 5 February in his calendar. Now all he has to do is convince his C.O. to let him go.

What a fight! Talk about guts! Collins took on six Bogdans and lived to tell the tale. I bet the Germans, the ones that survived, also had a cautionary tale to tell. It’s just too bad Hansel had to pay such a high price. Congrats on the latest kill, I think.

Darn, Lou, Swany should have told them he’s a tourist. That’s it, an American tourist on vacation. U.S. isn’t at war yet, so he should be able to get off on a technicality.
On the other hand, that applestroop sounds pretty nice.

Harry, don’t suggest any cargo ships. Haven’t you heard of De Vliegende Hollander?

Carrick, no tip. Swany is going Dutch.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4502629 - 01/04/20 12:17 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Raine, another wonderful installment. Excellent.
Lou, another cliffhanger! This one is a twist.
Carrick, yes that’s her!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4502637 - 01/04/20 02:23 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Raine, I meant to say earlier - YES! Lot of pics of Stow Maries please and thank you!

Harry, no clogs for Swany, they pinch his toes.

Carrick, I'd go with the Droolenbrusch style, the art elites will eat that up with a spoon.

Fullofit - going Dutch - that one made me laugh.

MFair, it was a twist for me too when I pulled up the map and saw Swany was in Holland. Roll with what you have to work with, right?

And to that end...

4 January 1917
Rotterdam, Holland

The Netherlands were flat, very flat, or at least what Captain Swanson had seen of it so far. Rivers, canals, and channels cut through it everywhere. And windmills dotted the countryside, each one lazily turning in the seemingly constant breeze, each one endlessly pumping water out of the lowlands and back into the sea. The trip from Strype to Rotterdam had been a pleasant one, beginning with a short wagon ride from Inspector de Lange's house across to the Brielse Meer where the two men boarded a passenger launch that took them to the city. The old craft chugged along through the tangle of myriad waterways, docking every 15 to 20 minutes to pick up and drop off other travelers. The weather had improved somewhat, with the January sun trying its best to shine through the broken, gray clouds that filled the morning sky. Two hours later the Captain was being led through the streets and across the bridges of Rotterdam. It was a city of bridges of all shapes and sizes, being built on water they were an obvious necessity. There was as much barge, boat, and launch traffic as there was that of cars, trucks, wagons, or trams - more actually. Swany had never seen a place quite like it and stated such to the Inspector as they made their way to their first stop, the British Consulate. Another thing the young airman noticed was the variety of foreign uniformed officers about, having passed a British Army Captain, two British Navy Lieutenants, three French officers of various ranks and services, and an assortment of Belgian officers as well. But he'd been completely taken aback when a Hun Oberleutnant smiled and touched the brim of his cap as they passed each other not a block away from their destination. Inspector de Lange stifled a laugh at Swanson's reaction to the incident as he explained, "It works this way Captain: belligerent officers detained in our country are allowed to live outside of the camps on parole, if they give their solemn word they will not try to escape.* Some of them take jobs at their respective embassies and consulates, just to have something to do. Rotterdam has a fair number of such jobs available, though nowhere near as many as in The Hague. You yourself could likely take such a job if you choose to, once we have all the preliminaries attended to."

"Unbelievable", Swany muttered to himself.

"And here we are", Inspector de Lange announced.

The meeting lasted little more than an hour. The British Consulate General, Ernest Maxse**, though polite, was all business with Captain Swanson. While it was patently obvious to any in the room that Mr. Maxse was already quite aware of who Swany was, he took down all the young VC recipient's personal information as a matter of procedure and immediately sent a wire across to England informing Army HQ of the Captain's whereabouts and situation. He then outlined what would be expected of the Captain while a guest of the Dutch people, (among other things he should act a gentleman and, as a bearer of Britain's highest honour, comport himself accordingly). He then stated that, as Swanson was an American, his next stop would be the American Consulate down the street where he would meet with Vice-Consul Gerhard Krogh***. Mr. Maxse, then took Inspector de Lange aside and the two men had a private, whispered conversation while Swany feigned interest in a collection of blue and white ceramic ware the Consulate General had displayed along the far wall of his office. Several minutes passed and during that time Swany had been catching snippets of the conversation, though not enough to surmise anything apart from the fact that the two men were most familiar. The aside completed, Mr. Maxse gave the Captain a curt handshake and stated they would likely speak again at some point in the future, (though Swany doubted that). Then it was out the door and off to see Mr. Krogh.

As cold and business-like as Mr. Maxse had been with Captain Swanson, Vice-Consul Gerhard Krogh was the precise opposite. Swany was the first officer from America that had been detained in Holland since the hostilities began, as far as Krogh knew, and when he further learned that the Captain was from northern Minnesota it was suddenly like old home week. As it turned out, Gerhard had been born and raised in Fargo, North Dakota, not but a day's train ride from Warroad. The two men hit it off immediately, to the point were Inspector de Lange became superfluous to the conversation and decided to excuse himself, saying he had a few errands to run and would return in an hour.

"I don't know what they've told you so far Swany, but I wouldn't trust anyone in this country", Gerhard warned as he offered the Captain a shot of bourbon. "It's crawling with spies from every place you can imagine, I kid you not."

"Is that so?" Swany raised an eyebrow while accepting the drink. "That might explain da private conversation I had to wait through over in Mr. Maxse's office. He and Inspector de Lange were chatting something up pretty good."

"Oh yeah, de Lange is definitely in the network, all the police are. He's an alright guy for sure, but he's looking out for his own people and will do whatever's necessary if it benefits Holland. Can't fault the man for that though." Krogh tossed back the bourbon, poured himself a second, then waved the bottle towards Swany. "Another?"

"No thanks, I'm still nursing this one. I have to pace myself, ever since a German bullet creased my noggin I have to be careful", Swany tapped the side of his head above his right ear. "If I drink too much now I get headaches that would kill a moose."

Gerhard chuckled, then stated proudly, "You're quite the hero back home you know. Local papers mention you often. A lot'a boys back there want to be just like you."

"Oh God, they can aim higher than that!" Swanson laughed. It felt good to talk to a fellow statesman, and in particular one from his own part of the country.

"So Swany, we need to get you out of here and home to your flying outfit. I assume that's what you want, right?"

"It is, though I guess if I had to stay a prisoner this would be da place to be."

"Yes and no. They'll treat you alright, being that you're an officer, and you'll pretty much have the run of the place. But you can bet dollars to donuts they will do their dam'dest to get information out of you - even try to get you to spy for 'em." Gerhard shot Swany a look that showed he was deadly serious, then added, "Has de Lange been grilling you in that stilted English of his?"

"A little", the Captain replied, adding, "But it's funny about his English, it seems much better today."

Krogh laughed out loud, "He pulled that same bit on me the first time we met. Tries to put you off your game, thinking he doesn't quite understand. When it doesn't get him anywhere on the information gathering he drops the act. So what did he get out of you, if you don't mind telling me. Careful though, I might be a spy too."

The Captain chuckled, "He asked a few questions - what squadron I'm with, when I signed on, where I'm from - that sort of thing. But I've been pretty tight-lipped. All he knows is I'm an American volunteer from Minnesota and flew over from England in a blizzard. Got lost in da thing - damned embarrassing."

"Sure is", Gerhard grinned. "You won't live that one down when they catch wind of it back home, I'll bet."

"Nope, I won't." Swany shook his head, then gulped down the shot he been holding throughout the conversation.

"Alright then, let's get down to business", Vice-Consul Krogh proclaimed. "I think I have an idea that will get you on your way back to the war."

(to be continued)

*The parole system for belligerent officers detained in Holland was in use throughout the war, and most took it quite seriously. The Dutch government made breaking such parole conditions punishable by up to six years in prison for those attempting escape, though there is no evidence any offender received any time even close to six years. The belligerent countries, to varying degrees, honored the parole system as well, in some cases actually returning officers who had escaped and made it home back to Holland for punishment.

**Ernest Maxse, British Consul-General in Rotterdam during WWI, was closely linked with the British Secret Intelligence Service (MI6) in Rotterdam.

***Gerhard H. Krogh, U.S. Vice-Consul in Rotterdam during WWI.

#4502650 - 01/04/20 07:30 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Fullofit: " Swany is going Dutch " That Cracked me up ! Good Line.

Attached Files tenor  II.giftenor III.gif
Last edited by carrick58; 01/04/20 08:00 PM.
#4502659 - 01/04/20 11:14 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Lou, and the plot thickens .. like the applestroop.

Carrick, that is one sexy giggle!

4 January, 1917 09:00
Vert Galand, Flanders Sector
RNAS-8
SC Tobias Chester Mulberry VC, DSC&Bar, DSO
43 confirmed kills

Since they never made it to the balloon last time, Mulberry had been ordered again to take his flight and destroy the gasbag south of Monchy-Le-Preux. The flurries continued but the balloon had to come down. Orders are orders. They’ve reached the target and Mulberry commenced the attack. The balloon proved to be tougher than expected and required multiple attempts. They were coming around for another run when a flight of Huns barged in and spoiled the fun. Toby latched onto one and pursued the intruder, but Mackenzie decided it was a better idea to just ram the Hun and take the top wing off with his landing gear. For a moment the German biplane had become an Eindecker before spiraling down and crashing to the ground. All this was witnessed by the second Hun which was now being chased by Mulberry. He was difficult to get a bead on, but eventually a few lucky rounds made the Boche a bit more docile and much easier to aim at. Toby knew he was inflicting damage on the enemy’s plane and was careful not to rear-end it while following it closely. The Halberstadt finally succumbed to the injuries and came down near the balloon. Their target, the observation balloon, would have to wait for another day.

YouTube Link

#4502676 - 01/05/20 01:53 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Rene Deassult Lavasure
Adjutant Esc N 68
Manancourt,en Vermois,
Verdun France,

4 e/a confirmed
4 e/a Un-confirmed
1 Trk confirmed

Jan 5. 1917.

Our new ships came in last night. 3 Brand new Spad VII's , Our 2 Aces and the Comte's. The others came in this morning Used hand me down N-17's Still better than what I had. I joined a flight of 4 a/c to fly Patrol. I couldnt keep up with the Spads til they were attacked by 6 Bosche Aero machines. I joined in the fight and got off a few strings of 15 rds then 2 got on my tail so dove and spun out of the fight adding a few holes to an old machine.

Attached Files CFS3 2020-01-04 17-24-38-50.jpgCFS3 2020-01-04 17-24-46-22.jpgCFS3 2020-01-04 17-30-35-73.jpg
#4502756 - 01/05/20 07:47 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Lou, Swany must have this meeting thing with the top hats down pat!
Fullofit, those mid air collisions are always scary
Carrick, take care of Ol’Betsey

Sgt. Frank Lucas
Bertangles West
January 5th, 1917

B Flight was finally back in the air. They flew a routine patrol of friendly territory yesterday and Frank felt good to be back in the air. Today the 6 machines were to patrol our lines from Thelus to Loos. There were even glimpses of blue sky here and there. It did Franks spirit good. The Major had dropped out with engine trouble and Capt. Charlie took the lead. Turning up the lines at Loos Charlie wagged his wings and pulled up in a reverse and we all followed. Frank could feel the adrenaline rise. Once in the reverse direction he could see “A” flight having a go with the Hun! As he kept his eye on the fight he was dumb struck as an Albatros went by him in the opposite direction not 20’ from him! Everything was a blur for a few seconds with machines everywhere. Frank gathered his wits and latched on to the tail of one. Two Pups dove in above him following the same Hun. “Too much company” Frank thought as he pulled up to check his surroundings. As he turned he saw the two Pups disengage and he fell back in behind the Albatros in a turn and fired. The Hun went into a spin! As he followed to get behind him again the Hun pulled up, stalled and went into a spin again. As Frank watched the machine level out he pounced again. This time, when he went in for the kill, he noticed the pilots head hanging to the side. He felt like a fool! “No wonder they disengaged! He’s already dead!” There was no one else around and he gained height trying to find his flight. At 7000’ he spotted Archie to the south. “There they are”. Frank joined up with the 4 machines. “We all made it!” He said aloud As the flight turned for home. As soon as the thought left his head he could see 6 more Albatros diving down in front of his flight!

It was all a blur again. Fire, twist and turn, fire again! This lasted but a few minutes and Frank found himself alone again. He finally spotted Hudson and joined him for the return home. As they approached Bertangles he could see one machine on the ground. Himself and Hudson made 3. Lt. Foster came in making 4. “Anyone see Sears?” Frank asked. “Last I saw of him he was chasing a Hun east at low altitude, the damned fool” replied Foster. Hudson had claimed one and a few of the machines had damage. By dark, Sears had not returned. Frank was worried sick.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
#4502765 - 01/05/20 09:51 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

MFair: Ur stories are getting more polished each time. Nice reading.

#4502767 - 01/05/20 10:18 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Thank you Sir! Now when you start saying I’m getting as good as Lou and Raine, as the saying goes “don’t piss on my leg and tell me it’s raining! biggrin

#4502782 - 01/06/20 01:13 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Carrick, finally a new plane! This should even the odds. Hopefully Rene will get one of those SPADs soon as well.

MFair, looks like today was a busy day. The Huns came out in force. Glad Frank survived the onslaught and I’m keeping my fingers crossed for Sears’ safe return.

5 January, 1917 09:45
RNAS-8
43 confirmed kills
Awaiting 1 claim confirmation

The HQ is hellbent on taking out that balloon south of Monchy-Le-Preux. The ‘B’ flight has been ordered to bring it down again. Toby was annoyed. This was the third time in a row they were attempting to take this target out. Each time something got in the way. Not this time. The snow flakes were whirling around their planes as they descended on their target. A salvo of rockets, then another one from his wing mate. Nothing. The balloon defied them all. Was this some new German invention? He fired at it, but there was no sign of damage. Toby came about and prepared for another run when something blue streaked by. Mulberry strained his eyes to follow the object through the curtain of snow. It looked like a plane, two wings and painted all blue with a red nose. Could it be one of those Albatroses everyone’s been talking about? He followed it, taking snapshots at his enemy. It was difficult to keep him in view with the snow playing tricks, but he somehow managed it and brought the sleek machine down.

YouTube Link

He then returned to his task of eliminating the balloon, which managed to stay afloat this long. Mulberry fired again and again but to no avail. There was no choice, they would have to come back again. The English Ace turned around and headed for the friendly side of the No-Man’s Land. It was then that he noticed one of the Huns chasing a Pup. That was not another Albatros. The angular lines betrayed it as a Halberstadt. Toby decided to lend a helping hand and when the opportunity presented himself, he slid behind the Hun and sent a burst into the cockpit. The Halberstadt dove away straight into the gunsights of the other Pup.

YouTube Link

Mulberry left them to their own devices and continued home. He was now overflying friendly trench lines when he noticed a commotion ahead. Another Hun was chasing a Pup. The German machine caught up with the poor Pup and fired. Smoke poured from the Sopwith which attempted to evade by flying in circles. This gave Toby the chance to catch up, which he did post haste. He jumped on the Boche’s tail and proceeded to punish him for what he’s just done. They were low over the friendly trenches and the Halberstadt was being riddled with holes. Some ground fire also reached Toby’s machine. Those knuckleheads on the ground continued to fire indiscriminately. Finally, the Hun was done and crashed into the mud, but the ground fire hasn’t stopped! Toby continued to take damage.
“- Friendly airplane!” He yelled helplessly to the troops below while trying to climb out of the range of their guns. He finally cleared the trenches and limped back home.

YouTube Link

Will they have to go against the accursed balloon tomorrow again? Toby was afraid they would have to repeat the mission again tomorrow. That balloon would be his undoing. He filed claims for the blue Albatros and the Halberstadt over the trenches.

#4502791 - 01/06/20 02:00 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

ESC 68
Afternoon Parade
Honoring the Dead

Attention : We have lost Adj Lavasure. on this day Jan 6 1817. His wingmate observed Adj R. Lavasure make two passes on a rampaging Roland a/c then he got into trouble and Spun into the earth.
a picture of his crashed machine will be posted in the mess to warn others to attack Roland Type with more than one machine at a time or from under. In his Honor , Nadine and fellow Pompiers will
perform the Latter Fire Drills. Via La France.

https://giphy.com/gifs/firemen-benny-hill-cPHNAsOq6vF7CHM3hc/fullscreen

https://giphy.com/gifs/jRBgeXd9Tc6iE5328J/fullscreen

Attached Files CFS3 2020-01-05 17-38-37-65.jpg
#4502809 - 01/06/20 10:50 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Carrick, what luck! What will Nadine do? Sorry for that one hoss. Was it unfamiliarity with the newer machine or did the Roland do you in?

Fullofit, god I hope someone takes out that balloon befor it takes out Toby!

#4502810 - 01/06/20 10:56 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Fullofit, long before the Russians invented 'Stalin wood', there was 'Kaiser Stoff'...

Last edited by Trooper117; 01/06/20 10:57 AM.
#4502831 - 01/06/20 01:12 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Carrick, oh no, Rene is no more! He is no doubt now conducting fire drills with the scantily clad angels.

Fullofit, Toby may not be able to bring down a balloon but he's certainly swatting down Hun scouts like flies. Maybe he should bring bombs with him the next time he goes after that gasbag, see how Kaiser Stoff holds up to those. Just a thought.

MFair, Frank certainly found himself in the thick of it. I hope it won't be the worse case scenario for the missing Sears. Very nice write-up.

Swany is still enjoying the company of the Dutch, and the following should catch you all up to this morning.

5 January 1917
Rotterdam, Holland

After his meetings of the 4th, Captain Swanson was placed in the charge of Gerhard Krogh who, as senior member of the American Consulate in Rotterdam, had vouched for the Captain's integrity. Krogh assured Police Inspector de Lange that the young hero would attempt no escape while under his watch. Honestly, where would he go even if he tried? Before the Inspector left, Swany thanked the fellow again for his hospitality and asked that he convey the same to his gracious wife. Later that afternoon, Gerhard escorted Swany to the Hotel Coomans where a room was made available to him as a guest of the American Consulate. The two men then sat in the hotel bar where Krogh elaborated on how he planned to handle Swanson's situation and, at the Captain's request, further explained what he knew of the Dutch detention process.

"Your plane became theirs as soon as you landed", Vice-Consul Krogh informed as he lit up a cigarette. "And they tell me it will be safely stored and returned to England when the war is over. Knowing the Dutch as I do, and I know them damned well since both my parents emigrated from here, they will charge the British a storage fee for the favor."

Swany chuckled at the comment, slowly turning the tall, slender glass of Pilsener sitting in front of him. "These folks don't miss a trick, do they."

"No they do not, they've probably got their engineers looking over your plane as we speak to see if there's any new ideas there they can make use of."

"More power to 'em. I'm amazed how they keep themselves out of the madness that surrounds them on all sides. Here's to da Nederlanders." Swany raised his glass and took a swallow of the pale, golden goodness.

"I'll drink to that", Krogh agreed as he finished off his own glass, then signaled the barkeep to bring the next. "Another thing you should know Swany, if they do keep you here they are required to pay you the same monthly salary they give an officer of equal rank in their own army, even though you aren't required to work. I can use that to our advantage when I'm discussing your situation with their foreign affairs office. If I can show them that sending you back will save them money - well, you get where I'm going with this."

"I do indeed", the Captain grinned.

The two men continued their conversation through several rounds of drinks, (several for Gerhard actually, Swany nursed just the one), then took the discussion to a table in the dining room where they enjoyed a wonderful dinner on Krogh's expense account. It was nearly eleven when the two men parted ways for the night, Swany giving his newfound friend a hearty handshake and thanking him for his hospitality.

The next day, Friday the 5th, while Captain Swanson was enjoying a walk along one of Rotterdam's many picturesque canals, the intricacies and not-so-subtle give and take of international relations were playing out several blocks away at the American Consulate.

Vice-Consul Krogh was stating his case: "Mr. Swanson volunteered his services to the British, who in turn accepted his offer and placed him in their flying corps. However, as soon as your government detained him for landing in your country, and further confiscated his aircraft, you effectively removed his ability to provide his services to the British. Which means Mr. Swanson is now simply an American citizen visiting Holland without proper documentation. So, it seems to me that you have two choices: you can either allow Mr. Swanson his right to request that the American Consulate obtain proper documentation for him, and after receiving such can leave on his own accord and at his own expense; or, you can deport him back to the United States and pay for his passage from Rotterdam to New York with your own guilders."

"You're a clever one, aren't you Gerhard", it was Mr. Karl Van der Hoff, a lawyer from the Dutch Foreign Affairs Office, making the observation. "But I don't believe your assessment of the situation is going to be that of my government. Captain Swanson is an officer of the British Royal Flying Corps and as such is a belligerent, and I think he will be having to follow the same rules as anyone else of such standing within our borders. So, the third option, which you failed to mention, is the most likely: he will be detained here until the end of the hostilities."

"At the full expense of your government", Krogh added. "A monthly salary plus a food and clothing allowance as I understand it. Just out of curiosity, how much does a Dutch pilot captain get paid these days, Karl?"

"I don't really know, I'd have to ask", Van der Hoff replied in an irritated tone.

"You know Karl, I was just reading in the newspapers how this war could go on for another two or three years at this point. Did you happen to read that too?"

"Yes, I seem to recall reading that as well, and I know where you're going with this Gerhard, however..."

Vice Consul Krogh interrupted while doing his best to maintain a straight face. "Look Karl, you are certainly entitled to your own interpretation of this situation, but before you head back to your office with your recommendation you might want to check with your Ministry of Agriculture and ask just how many tons of super-phosphates you folks are importing every month from the United States."

"What?! You wouldn't dare."

"No, no, certainly not, I'd never do such a thing. I'm only saying that, should word get back to America that the Dutch are holding a U.S. citizen, their hero actually, against his will - well, it would be a shame if your farmers couldn't get the fertilizer they so desperately need to grow that feed for their cows that in turn keep you folks in all that wonderful cheese you enjoy so dearly. It really is outstanding cheese too, I've always said as much."

"ezel", Van der Hoff muttered under his breath.

"Honestly Karl, there's no need for name-calling", Krogh grinned. "Look, what do you folks really care about one American flyer that made a wrong turn in a snowstorm and plopped himself down in your country. I'm giving you a way out of this that not only saves you stacks of money but will make you look all the better to my fellow countrymen. The U.S. can be a powerful friend to have in your corner should things suddenly take a turn for the worse around here."

"I'll make my recommendations to my superiors first thing Monday morning", Van der Hoff stated begrudgingly. "I should have an answer for you fairly soon thereafter, but you may as well start getting MISTER Swanson's paperwork in order as I am quite certain what the answer will be."

"Thank you Karl, you're a prince. I owe you a night on the town for this", Krogh replied, slapping the fellow on the back as he walked him to the door. "Talk to you Monday."

"Yes, Monday. And I'm holding you to that night on the town", Karl shouted back over his shoulder as he headed down the hall. "You still owe me one for that whole Müller affair last fall."

(to be continued)

#4502832 - 01/06/20 01:15 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

MFair:

I think it was the Rolands Rear gun, I finished the 2nd pass , taking hits, then No control over the N-17 and spun in. I had height ,but no reaction from my Joy Stick . Pilot Health at 100, speed around 150, Guess Cut Cables ? Rudder and elevator.

Last edited by carrick58; 01/06/20 01:17 PM.
#4502855 - 01/06/20 04:44 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

All, an excellent array of stories to catch up with this morning, although I was saddened to see the loss of Lavasure. Still, those stick-figure drawings are sure to appreciate in value as a result, Carrick!

MFair, your new fellow is getting stuck in early. Please be careful with him! Good account of the action!

Lou, a fine plot development in progress. Looks like we'll be seeing old Swany waving from the deck of a steamer any day now wink

Fullofit, Toby's only weakness is balloon busting. Aside from that he's a menace of the skies. Lazlo has warned his boys to steer clear of your lot whenever possible.

Oberleutnant Lazlo Halász,
Jasta1, Proville, Flanders
January 5th 1917

Lazlo had been drinking more these past few weeks. What with the festivities, along with the lack of flying due to inclement weather, the opportunities for a 'tipple' had increased significantly and Lazlo was taking full advantage. He'd even adopted the habit of slipping a hip flask filled with schnapps inside his flying jacket, to help fight off the bitter cold at 3000M.

In truth, Lazlo was suffering a slight loss of confidence. They were once again back in Halberstadts, which seemed incapable of inflicting too much damage on the French machines. Now there were rumors of a new type in the hands of the British that was equally nimble and perhaps more deadly still. It had been weeks since Lazlo and his men had tangled with the enemy. He was worried that he might be losing his touch. So, on the morning of the 5th, days into a new year, he was relieved when they were instructed to take out a balloon just the other side of the lines. Lazlo had become rather practiced at finding and bringing down these targets, so it would be a good opportunity to bolster his morale.

Von Keudell sauntered up to Lazlo as they crossed the field to their machines.
"Everything alright, sir? You look a little green around the gills this morning".

"Agh, is nothing. Maybe a little sleepy but that will soon disappear. We hunt balloons this morning, ja?" The big man's forced jollity was evident to Von Keudell, but he decided not to pursue his inquiry further on this occasion. He was worried about his leader's mood, though, and concerned about his newly acquired drinking habits. In his experience, alcohol and flying didn't mix too well.

For the first time in weeks the skies seemed relatively clear, as they climbed to altitude and set a course for the lines. The fighting on the ground had been intense the past few months and now the ugly scar on the landscape had moved closer to their base of operations at Proville than ever before. However, before they had even reached the lines, Lazlo and his men encountered three Nieuport machines that seemed intent on stopping their progress. Nervously, Lazlo began the dance, twisting and turning his Halberstadt in the air, glancing about to see where his fellow pilots were engaging and who might be needing assistance. It was over as quickly as it had started, the French machine breaking off and turning tail. Still, they had done enough to unsettle Lazlo, He slipped his hand inside his jacket and brought out the flask, taking a long swig of the fiery liquid. He instantly felt calmer. Just then he noticed Von Keudell alongside. The man gave him a laconic salute, as if to say, yes, I see you, and what I see is not exactly 'by the book'. Lazlo quickly replaced the flask inside his jacket and turned the flight back toward the lines.

Their target was located just west of the lines at the delta of the river. It was important to ensure the right target, since German High Command would not acknowledge any other. Lazlo had his process well refined. He would triple check the map coordinates before commencing the mission, making sure to establish the exact location in his own mind, of the intended target. They could be extremely difficult to see, especially if any cloud happened to be present, so relative landmarks became important. He flew south along the lines until he spied the delta off to the west, when he began a gentle banked turn in that direction. He figured the balloon should become visible to his right, as they descended to 1000M. There it was! He circled to bring his machine around, facing east, with the ballon broadside in front and went in for his first pass. He was rusty! He didn't bother to use his gun sight and his bullets missed low. He pulled up and began to circle for a second pass. Just at that moment he realized they had more company! A quick survey revealed three Nieuports and a Spad! The latter made a dive for him, but he was ready and easily outmaneuvered his foe, quickly turning to attack. However, the Spad simply took off like a frightened cat and was gone in a moment. His fellow pilots seemed to be coping with the remaining Frenchmen, so Lazlo turned back toward their target. This time he crouched as best he could and lined up the gun sight. Three short bursts of fire and the balloon was soon ablaze. He roared with delight and pounded his fist on the side of the fuselage as he pulled away and nosed toward the east.

Von Keudell was once again alongside him as they came into Proville to land. The pilot slapped him on the back as they left their machines for the office to report in.

"Good work, big fellow! I'll vouch for that one, for sure. That would be eight victories now, yes?" Lazlo looked sheepish. "Just one thing, sir, if I might be so bold. Do be careful with the, er, in-flight cocktail service, if you know what I mean. I'm not certain that's going to help your aim, sir. Just between you and me". The pilot gave a friendly wink to Lazlo who immediately got the message. He realized his secret was out. He would have to be more careful.

In the office Lazlo was greeted by the adjutant who took down details of his claim, and then informed both men that they would be getting new machines. Lazlo could hardly believe it. They had only recently surrendered their Albatri and now they were to have more of them - this time they would be DIIIs!

to be continued.....

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4502895 - 01/06/20 10:17 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Lou, excellent story! Krogh is a real horse trader.
Harry, good on Lazlo and a new machine to boot!

#4502903 - 01/06/20 11:26 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Thanks, MFair!

I just discovered that I have video of that last Halberstadt mission, and upon watching it, Lazlo was in fact luckier than I had recalled. It seems there were actually three Spad VIIs after him at times. One of the Spads looked like French ace Captaine Jean d'Harcourt of ESC 103. Quite scary actually! Lazlo got the balloon and thankfully escaped injury. Looks like we got the Albs in the nick of time!

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4502907 - 01/07/20 12:37 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Carrick, sorry to hear of Rene’s demise. WOFF should be renamed to Rolands-scourge. That is surely the plane that claimed most DiD pilots. Out of her grief Nadine will never pose for another nude portrait. Good luck with the next pilot!

Trooper, if this Kaiser Stoff is non-inflammable then Toby is in deep trouble. Or ... is that nonflammable? Incombustible? Non-combustible?

Lou, using bombs on Kaiser Stoff sounds like a good idea. Especially if they’re incendiary ... or is that inflammable? Flammable? Explosive?
Swany’s enjoying a lot of cloak and dagger action these past few days. So much intrigue and it looks like he’ll be back in action soon.
BTW,
Gunther: - Ezel
Ross: - You’re an ezel!
Gunther: - Jij hebt seks met ezels.
Ahhh, Friends! How I miss that show.

Harry, so it’s Lazlo’s fault Toby has no luck meeting any Huns in the air. How unsporting.
Congrats on the balloon. It appears Lazlo has no problems bringing balloons down. Toby should take lessons from him. Well done and finally new machines. D.III’s! Lazlo can finally revoke that “avoid Pups” order now, yes? Great vid!

6 January, 1917 08:45
RNAS-8
44 confirmed kills

Both Halberstadt claims, one from yesterday and the other one from the previous day, were denied. Soldiers firing from the trenches claimed one, stating the other “Hun” got away. On the other hand the blue Albatros was credited to Mulberry. It was his first.
What was even better news was that they didn’t have to go after the cursed balloon again. Instead they would patrol friendly front lines between Monchy and Athies. Apart from some majestic clouds, the skies were clear. Later, once back on the ground, they’ve been informed that Toby’s wingman, Jack Holtcombe has been promoted to Flight Commander. Celebrations began early that day.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 1917-01-06.jpg

#4502914 - 01/07/20 02:13 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Rupert E. Hentzau
Feldwebel
Jasta 6

Jan 6, 1917.

Arrived and posted to defensive flight.. I was briefed before take . The usual stay close, stay on our side. Watch your leader for signals. We engaged a enemy flight of 7 Spad type machines at 4000 meters and all the talk went out the window. It was turn fire, turn, keep turning. Finally it was over, Our Albatross D-1 and D-2's all made it home , but some with holes.

Attached Files CFS3 2020-01-06 17-38-21-36.jpgCFS3 2020-01-06 17-47-24-03.jpg
Page 123 of 366 1 2 121 122 123 124 125 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again