Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4502190 - 01/01/20 12:34 AM Starting Over  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S. of ...
After several months in and out of hospitals I'm finally in a position to start doing things again. High on my list is to get playing WOFF again. I have one minor dilemma: Try to pick up the old careers or just starting over fresh. On the side of the former is that I like some of those guys. On the other hand properly restoring their careers could potentially take a couple months. Right now I'm leaning toward dumping everything and starting from scratch. I would miss Noel Kay and Corrie Aujla, but there will be other pilots just as interesting. We'll see how it goes.

Some people are born stupid. I've had to work hard my whole life to get this way. I'm proud of the job I've done
#4502217 - 01/01/20 06:12 AM Re: Starting Over [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

I've abandoned pilots as fortunes have allowed, or even started them again as I've come back to the game. The Rick Rawlings I am on now is at least the 100th since his debut in the Original Red Baron. He has flown for many countries in different ages and even been to the far flung reaches of the galaxy. (Well, Colonia, at least...) I say go for someone new, and it's good to see you back!

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4502220 - 01/01/20 08:12 AM Re: Starting Over [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

Thanks for the welcome back. That seems to me a good idea - to start all-new pilots but keep the old names. I'm still pedantic and may have OCD, and I'll probably as before start a few weeks before the war begins. I lot of the actual planes being flown aren't in the game, so I'll be doing a lot of pretending and a little lying at the beginning, and this time I'm not going to burn myself out trying to fly all six pilots every day. Yes, I'll still be following six separate careers, but in a much more relaxed state of mind. I'm looking forward to it.

Some people are born stupid. I've had to work hard my whole life to get this way. I'm proud of the job I've done
#4502240 - 01/01/20 02:19 PM Re: Starting Over [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Heh, yes, OCD can definitely get to you in a game that covers a four-year war with numerous air services! What I eventually ended up doing was flying a pilot only once every three or more "game" days, imagining that those were the flights where my pilot would actually have a chance of getting into a scrape and the days he didn't fly would be the days where he had milk-runs, days off, wash-outs, whatever. Sometimes I would give him a week or more off, occasionally a month or so. This also gives me a chance to get somewhere in a reasonable amount of real-life time, although it is useful to note that in the entirety of my experience with all iterations of (W)OFF, I have never seen the end of the war...I

Good luck, sir!

salute

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4502241 - 01/01/20 02:27 PM Re: Starting Over [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Welcome back to the WOFF skies and to the forums, Sailor_Steve! Glad to learn that RL has settled sown and gotten better for you. But six careers all at once?! That's neither pedantic nor OCD - it's madness. Or rather, just plain barmy!

Watch your six, and Cheers,

Lou

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4502320 - 01/02/20 01:28 AM Re: Starting Over [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
rtoolooze262 Offline
rtoolooze262  Offline

Mo. USA
I'm glad your back and looking forward to reading new adventures with coffee in hand!

#4502327 - 01/02/20 02:17 AM Re: Starting Over [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
catch Offline
catch  Offline

QLD, Australia
Originally Posted by Sailor_Steve

I'll probably as before start a few weeks before the war begins. I lot of the actual planes being flown aren't in the game, so I'll be doing a lot of pretending and a little lying at the beginning, and this time I'm not going to burn myself out trying to fly all six pilots every day. Yes, I'll still be following six separate careers, but in a much more relaxed state of mind. I'm looking forward to it.

Hello Sailor. Excuse my impertinence, but I have struck out what I think is not needed for (in your case) a relaxed state of mind. I would suggest one career at a time. Focus on that. You can always start other careers later on if you want. WOFF is to enjoy not to get angsty about.

BTW happy new year to you and all woffers.

#4502385 - 01/02/20 02:55 PM Re: Starting Over [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
If for some reason I am away from WOFF for 7-10 days I will restart the career.
Also I try (try!) to have only one career at a time to “focus, learn, and follow” it better.
Tough to keep track of multiple personalities in multiple squadrons.

#4502494 - 01/03/20 03:32 AM Re: Starting Over [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

This whole "multiple careers" thing started back in 1998 when I first discovered the original Silent Hunter. You could have a career based out of Pear Harbor, Manila or Surabaya. Each command offered different subs and different opportunities. I thought "Why not all three?" Then I discovered I could do the same thing with Red Baron. My goal is to have a fighter pilot and a two-seater pilot out of each country. I don't care too much about their personalities - I figure they will develop on their own. I just want to fly all the different planes.

#4502523 - 01/03/20 12:39 PM Re: Starting Over [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Hi Sailor,

As they say " different strokes for different folks"
We all approach WOFF from different angles and it is all good! Welcome to the fray!

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4502565 - 01/03/20 05:31 PM Re: Starting Over [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

One of the many fascinating aspects of WW1 air combat for me is the continual shift of power from one side to the other over the months / years of the great war. Along with my DiD campaign pilot I like to have two other campaigns going, starting early war. One is entente, the other is CP, both located in a similar area. I start with 2-seaters. If either one makes it to 20 missions or 3 victories, they can apply to transfer. If either dies, then a new pilot takes their place at that date, the only "rule" being they have to switch to a different 2-seater craft each time. This way I get to experience both sides and I also get gradually better at surviving in 2-seaters smile

Last edited by HarryH; 01/03/20 05:33 PM.

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4503148 - 01/08/20 10:35 PM Re: Starting Over [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

Well, I'm still torn, and I'm still not making any progress. It would be a lot easier to start again from scratch. On the other hand I really like some of my characters, especially the one who fled halfway across France running from the advancing Germans. The problem with that is that I managed to lose a lot of my in-game records and the external logs as well. To restore the lost flight hours requires re-flying all those missions and re-writing all their logs. I'm looking at a lot of work if I choose that path. I'm not sure how I want do do it, so I'm doing nothing.

#4503267 - 01/10/20 05:44 AM Re: Starting Over [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Maybe sit on them for a while and start some new guy following a career path you don't normally choose?
I hear there's lots of fun to be had in the DH5... duck

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans