Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4502155 - 12/31/19 09:17 PM Your New Year's Resolutions (and don't even try to deny that you have at least one)!  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I don't know if you'd call it a New Year Resolution, but I have the next year pretty well mapped out as shown on this thread...
70 weeks of intense self-learning

It needs updating because I've blown the last few weeks (knew I'd have some holiday slowdown, but I've lost almost a month in total). And not because I came back to SimHQ (after taking a break from mid-July to mid-November) as I'm doing much better with my time-wasting online habits (mainly YouTube and mindless surfing). I'm going to do much better still for the new year, unplugging the connection again if I need to take this drastic measure. I watch very little television so that helps, also no online personal devices to distract me. I mostly listen to music, Cold War 80's gets me in the proper state of mind (I think I'm finally becoming an Iron Maiden fan).

A positive is that I've gone further with my studies than ever (started Sep. 1) and I'm determined to make 2020 count with both mind and body (been slacking on that one too, gaining weight and losing fitness, enough to notice on both of us...forget the scale, the clothes don't lie). Moderation is key, but always easier said than done, especially this time of year...yada, yada.

This is as close to a New Year Resolution that I've got, wanting to look back in a year from today with a self-educated mind that can think in quaternions and Russian (and with a body as fit and trim as Putin). biggrin

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4502160 - 12/31/19 09:54 PM Re: Your New Year's Resolutions (and don't even try to deny that you have at least one)! [Re: MarkG]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Hotshot

brasil
i dont hold myself to promises, always though this resolutions are just to make yourself feel better for failing another year.
if you have goals you dont need to make one the last day of the year. my 2c

#4502164 - 12/31/19 10:17 PM Re: Your New Year's Resolutions (and don't even try to deny that you have at least one)! [Re: MarkG]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

I used to make them. Probably never kept a one. These days if I feel I need to change anything about my life or lifestyle I don't wait for New Year's.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4502167 - 12/31/19 10:28 PM Re: Your New Year's Resolutions (and don't even try to deny that you have at least one)! [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Good points, Blade.

But I think even for the most pessimistic, it has to be hard not to have some reflection of one's life this time of year...where you've been, where you're going, where you want to go. Maybe it's a post-indulgent-holiday reaction? biggrin

Failing is not inevitable, though. I'm actually feeling more successful with my endeavors than ever, but not because age makes it easier to improve body and mind...lol. The feeling that time might be slipping away from you motivates like nothing else. I forget how young you are but just give it a few years (or decades). smile

The sun is in the east
#4502171 - 12/31/19 10:51 PM Re: Your New Year's Resolutions (and don't even try to deny that you have at least one)! [Re: MarkG]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

I intend to stop vacillating about buying a 3d printer, and to actually make a decision and buy and put it into use.

I've got part way through my first 3d model project in a recent version of blender, and I intend to finish it (or a new version of the same if I abandon the current topology and restart)... a Anglo-Danish coastal longship, based on the Helge Ask (Skuldelev 5). If that goes well, then I also have drawings for the larger 'Saga Oseberg' - a more recent replica of the older Oseberg ship from Norway, and the remainder of the Skuldelev ship finds (and their replicas: Ottar, Roar Ege, Havingsten fra Glendalough and Kraka Fyr), as well as the commonly reproduced Gokstad ship and it's faerings.

Accuracy sufficient for 'tabletop' in suitable scales for wargaming and 'waterline' - initially to go with the Victrix 28mm Vikings and Anglo Danes, but probably also in smaller scales (such as 6mm) with a suitably simplified/beefed up version.

First production will be a prototype in print, but I also intend to unwrap and cut the strakes and frames from sheet material, possibly to produce a kit from. (3d printing is a *lot* slower than cutting sheet stock, makes a less satisfying 'kit', but could be useful still for decoratives such as the figure heads & maybe crew - masters and casting, or just small numbers of direct prints). A 3d print is much quicker to produce a 'physical test' of a model though, so it might still be a useful prototyping.

#4502173 - 12/31/19 10:58 PM Re: Your New Year's Resolutions (and don't even try to deny that you have at least one)! [Re: MarkG]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

No one keeps their New Year's resolutions.

Attached Files 505fcd1329342883.jpg

[Linked Image]
#4502175 - 12/31/19 11:07 PM Re: Your New Year's Resolutions (and don't even try to deny that you have at least one)! [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Lieste, that's just freaking cool! thumbsup

NoFlyBoy, biggrin

All right now, I'm going to bump this thread in 365 days! Oh wait, it's a leap year, make that 366 days!

The sun is in the east
#4502185 - 12/31/19 11:50 PM Re: Your New Year's Resolutions (and don't even try to deny that you have at least one)! [Re: MarkG]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

One more:

Attached Files img5e0aa6665b2b9.jpg

[Linked Image]
#4502195 - 01/01/20 01:04 AM Re: Your New Year's Resolutions (and don't even try to deny that you have at least one)! [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
^ biggrin

Attached Files 3807051.jpg03emirx.jpg

The sun is in the east
#4502206 - 01/01/20 03:28 AM Re: Your New Year's Resolutions (and don't even try to deny that you have at least one)! [Re: MarkG]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Smart investment, Lieste. I've had one for about two years and they're amazing. I'm a tinkerer by nature and used to wander the hardware stores, looking for something that I could modify a little (or a lot) because what I needed for a project didn't exist. Now I just make it. Many on the market these days have features that weren't around when I bought mine. I've even seen some that use magnets in the print bed to establish the right nozzle height or that monitor when you're about to run out of filament. One thing I would consider absolutely necessary on my next one is a resume feature in case of electrical failure. It's happened to me a few times and there's nothing more frustrating than to be 75% into a 20-hour print and the power goes out.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4502238 - 01/01/20 01:59 PM Re: Your New Year's Resolutions (and don't even try to deny that you have at least one)! [Re: MarkG]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Never, ever had a New Year resolution... never even entered my mind that I would need one...

#4502248 - 01/01/20 03:38 PM Re: Your New Year's Resolutions (and don't even try to deny that you have at least one)! [Re: MarkG]  
Roudou Offline
Roudou  Offline

French countryside
First of all: Happy New Year !

And about the subject, I've never had one. If I need a change in my life, I don't wait a new year to think about it.

#4502252 - 01/01/20 04:01 PM Re: Your New Year's Resolutions (and don't even try to deny that you have at least one)! [Re: MarkG]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
Happy New year to all......and I do deny having even one resolution. I have never ever made them

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4502266 - 01/01/20 06:00 PM Re: Your New Year's Resolutions (and don't even try to deny that you have at least one)! [Re: MarkG]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
My resolution is to not let up on the gym just due to the resolutioners taking up space. It usually only lasts Jan/Feb, but I tend to let up to avoid the crowds, wasting time.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4502271 - 01/01/20 06:31 PM Re: Your New Year's Resolutions (and don't even try to deny that you have at least one)! [Re: MarkG]  
WOLF257 Online sosad
Professional Cynic
WOLF257  Online Sosad
Professional Cynic
Hotshot

Alabama
Only one I have is an ongoing one, due to my slightly higher than normal cholesterol I've cut back on starchy foods.

It seems to be working I just have to keep myself from falling back into my old habits since I love rice, potatoes and pasta.

Oh well.

Happy New Year one and all.

Jim

WOLF

You are what you do when it counts

I will do terrible things to protect myself and all that I've worked for.
But even in your deepest, darkest nightmares you can't imagine the horrific things I'll do to protect my family.

#4502278 - 01/01/20 06:54 PM Re: Your New Year's Resolutions (and don't even try to deny that you have at least one)! [Re: MarkG]  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Based on predictions from 20 to 30 years ago, I should be able to keep this year's resolutions. I am definitely not going to get the new 2020 flying car. My current ride will do for a few more years. All of my household robots are in tiptop shape, but I did promise to keep them charged up on a consistent basis--especially Miss Bedbuddy.TM.

Right now I am about to take my instant lunch capsule and then take some time to drop the kids off at the pool with my new Lay-z-Boy combo recliner and commode/bidet. (Thank you, Homer Simpson!) After that, I may send my robot phaser out to the range for some target practice and hope it doesn't destroy the place like the last time.

Happy New Year! biggrin

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
#4502279 - 01/01/20 07:35 PM Re: Your New Year's Resolutions (and don't even try to deny that you have at least one)! [Re: MarkG]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
2020 goal is to continue preparing our financial picture for retirement

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4502346 - 01/02/20 11:53 AM Re: Your New Year's Resolutions (and don't even try to deny that you have at least one)! [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by MarkG
I don't know if you'd call it a New Year Resolution, but I have the next year pretty well mapped out as shown on this thread...
70 weeks of intense self-learning

It needs updating because I've blown the last few weeks (knew I'd have some holiday slowdown, but I've lost almost a month in total). And not because I came back to SimHQ (after taking a break from mid-July to mid-November) as I'm doing much better with my time-wasting online habits (mainly YouTube and mindless surfing). I'm going to do much better still for the new year, unplugging the connection again if I need to take this drastic measure. I watch very little television so that helps, also no online personal devices to distract me. I mostly listen to music, Cold War 80's gets me in the proper state of mind (I think I'm finally becoming an Iron Maiden fan).

A positive is that I've gone further with my studies than ever (started Sep. 1) and I'm determined to make 2020 count with both mind and body (been slacking on that one too, gaining weight and losing fitness, enough to notice on both of us...forget the scale, the clothes don't lie). Moderation is key, but always easier said than done, especially this time of year...yada, yada.

This is as close to a New Year Resolution that I've got, wanting to look back in a year from today with a self-educated mind that can think in quaternions and Russian (and with a body as fit and trim as Putin). biggrin

What's your goal with all of the self-learning you have been doing? Will you be applying for any jobs that are related to the self-study?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4502452 - 01/02/20 08:56 PM Re: Your New Year's Resolutions (and don't even try to deny that you have at least one)! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
What's your goal with all of the self-learning you have been doing? Will you be applying for any jobs that are related to the self-study?

<No wall of text with pics as I'm out of time.> smile

Ah, what you need to see is the full 3-year plan, printed and attached to a clipboard hanging on my office wall (next to his and her fitness training clipboards). I'll post it on the "70 weeks..." thread one day, but to summarize...

==========
2020: Self-learning.

2021: Develop an F-19 redo for an alternate early-90's universe, showcasing the 3D capabilities of a fictional Super Amiga 3000-based workstation/gaming rig (joint venture with Sun Microsystems)...and it saves Commodore! woot

2022: To decide if my hobby can branch into anything commercial, which seems so far beyond my current knowledge and talents that it makes me chuckle...but one can dream.
==========

++++++++++

I did make a detailed list of 9 things I want to achieve this year (I guess would be considered New Year Resolutions). The most important is #9...that is, on the last day of every month this year, to look back at the month feeling like I gave it my best. That my inner R. Lee Ermey (as Gunnery Sergeant Hartman) and Diamond Dallas Page (DDP Yoga) voices motivated me to kick enough ass that month! biggrin

Yup, #9 is key...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pIyHajsu08

The sun is in the east
#4502463 - 01/02/20 10:01 PM Re: Your New Year's Resolutions (and don't even try to deny that you have at least one)! [Re: MarkG]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

my resolutions and my Sisters resolution are as follows:

Attached Files tenor.giffunny-gif-new-years-resolution.gif
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.