Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4502083 - 12/31/19 12:51 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: mailman]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by mailman

But as others have said...these movies aren't for us older peeps. They are for the new fans with no attention spans.

Bingo.

And like I have alluded to before, the ONLY thing that would give Disney pause and force them to re-evaluate their creative strategy is if their Star Wars films flopped at the box office and lost money.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4502098 - 12/31/19 02:59 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: mailman]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA

But as others have said...these movies aren't for us older peeps. They are for the new fans with no attention spans.

I think nonstop action is worse when you have a short attention space. I tend to space out when there's action after action after action. I might even turn a movie off entirely if that's what it is mostly about...

So many "for f88ks sake" moments. And the two girls kissing...how do I put this as Im always up for some good lesbo pr0n...why? What possible point was there to them getting off with each other right at the end given both were non-characters with absolutely no back story...why not just make it a couple fecking aliens touching tenticles or some other b9llocks like that ffs!!

I have not seen the film nor was not planning on watching but this happened?

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 12/31/19 03:00 PM.
#4502105 - 12/31/19 03:24 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
** Contain spoilers **. This guy does lots of these,they are very entertaining.

Last edited by Chucky; 12/31/19 03:25 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4502107 - 12/31/19 03:51 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

Bingo.

And like I have alluded to before, the ONLY thing that would give Disney pause and force them to re-evaluate their creative strategy is if their Star Wars films flopped at the box office and lost money.

Well, I'm one of those "older peeps" and you guys don't speak for me.
No series of movies with 11 entries is going to be top quality in all movies, but SW has done far better than any others. Some have been weaker, like TLJ, but I've enjoyed them all. This last one was just fine.
Not only have the new movies been pretty good, overall at least, but they delivered what is very possibly the best SW movie with Rogue One. A weak SW movie is still better to me than 90% of the movies out there.
I've been watching SW Rebels, since we have Disney + for The Mandalorean. I see some elements in there that I think they borrowed for the movie such as the assault on the star destroyer's surface as well as bringing in the dark light saber in the Mandalorean.
I haven't finished it, but it's been pretty good. It will be interesting if there are more influences from it as I finish it.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4502119 - 12/31/19 04:56 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: Chucky]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted by Chucky
** Contain spoilers **. This guy does lots of these,they are very entertaining.

That was really well done, and I think points out a lot of the issues I had with the movie as well. However, there are a few things I didn't like that he mentions that I have since found out occurred in other Star Wars venues, like in the books, the comics, Star Wars Rebels, etc., so if someone is really immersed in all of the Star Wars stories, they're really not that out of place here.

One thing he didn't mention is what I've heard called "power creep," which is where Kilo and Rey are more powerful than any other characters we've seen, and Rey is that way without any training. They do address that a very little bit in the movie (she got some training), and again, I guess other types of media have had Jedi/Sith people doing stuff they did, but I thought it was still a bit much for these movies.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4502149 - 12/31/19 08:04 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
Vitesse Offline
Vitesse  Offline

Devon UK
Saw it. Enjoyed it.

Had a few wtf? moments. The antenna attack...

Had a few omfg...Yes! moments.

Five guys, 13 - 53 years range. All smiling!

#4502150 - 12/31/19 08:05 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
13-53 range? I guess there was no visit to the pub after the movie then. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4502156 - 12/31/19 09:21 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
13-53 range? I guess there was no visit to the pub after the movie then. biggrin

Why not? Just tell them the 13yo is the designated driver. The looks you'd get would be worth it.

#4502305 - 01/01/20 10:42 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
DaveP63 Offline
DaveP63  Offline

Indiana, USA
I saw it today. I liked it, didn't love it. I'm satisfied the way they tried to sew up all the loose ends, but I agree there are a few WTF moments...

i5-4460@3.2ghz, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte GTX1050Ti 4GB, 2TB HDD, 500GB SDD
#4502344 - 01/02/20 11:47 AM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: DaveP63]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DaveP63
. I liked it, didn't love it. I.

This sums it up for me as well and I think it also explains why so many of the hardcore fans have been complaining about the movie. It's my impression that they were wanting to see a Star Wars movie that would give them the same level of visceral excitement and awe as the original trilogy films did and when that didn't happen, they were seriously disappointed.

#4502378 - 01/02/20 02:16 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
I think the main thing that killed it for me was how Palpatine was back. I mean, just out of nowhere, in the opening crawl, a voice is broadcast and it's Palpatine, omg, he's back! No one bothers to explain how he came back except for a literally split second allusion to cloning. It again, was to me, a typical JJ Abrams thing of, "This is what it is and trust me there is a reason for it but just go with it for now." Sorry, but that's just lazy writing to me.

But beyond that, what I think was the worst about his return to me was that it cheapens the ultimate sacrifice and loss of Vader/Anakin and the gravity of that pivotal moment that the original trilogy hinged on--Vader's turning away from the Dark Side. That was the true climax of the trilogy and the Skywalker saga, not the destruction of a re-hashed Death Star, not the fall of the Empire and the restoration of the Republic, but the proof that good can triumph over evil, and that bad people still have good within them and can always change their life for the better.

Palpatine being back, especially with no good explanation, just took that triumphant moment and flushed it out the vac tube. It made Vader's death in vain. It made Luke's struggle a waste of time and life, and invalidated that proof of theorem.

And it made my liking "The Rise of Skywalker" and the rest of the last trilogy, difficult and disappointing.

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4502386 - 01/02/20 03:02 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I like him being back since it addresses what Palpatine said to Annakin in RotS. Darth Plagueis had power over death but was supposedly killed by Palpatine.
IMO, what I take from all of this is that this has been Darth Plagueis the whole time. His power over death is in the form of mind swapping remotely, keeping his body alive in a bacta tank, using clones...whatever. He did it to Palpatine, would have done so with Anakin, but after getting chopped and burned, looked for another. That’s why he was so interested in Luke, or even Leia in a pinch. I think he survived his fall in RotJ or maybe his own body was elsewhere, and did the best he could with Snoke. Next up would’ve been Rylo but Rey would do after Rylo betrayed him.
Maybe this goes further back, being the real explanation for the rule of two, Palpatine could be a Sith going much further back than Darth Plagueis even. More than the two and people start to catch on they’re really just being farmed for the one Sith.
Having that much time on his hands explains that huge fleet, seemingly out of nowhere. He had lifetimes to build that up, or if like the games, to find a star forge.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4502387 - 01/02/20 03:09 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
bones, everything you say makes perfect sense, but for some reason, that didn't bother me as much, and I can't really explain why. Maybe it's because my expectations were so beaten into submission from the previous two movies that this one just didn't seem as bad, and I found that to be a win. It might also be that I always found the Sith goal of ruling the galaxy a little weak, and it seemed like there should be more to them. An evil group or person, using the ultimate evil force in the Universe, to simply be a despotic dictator just seemed like a waste of that power, and the Sith as represented in the movie seemed to tap into a greater evil force and purpose, to a certain extent.

There were things that just popped up out of nowhere, or were dropped from the previous film, but most of those things were fixing what was so wrong about TLJ.

Ken Cartwright

#4502425 - 01/02/20 06:19 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
MigBuster Offline
MigBuster  Offline

UK
Expected the worst after seeing some reviews but about half way through was thinking this is really good.............overall a good effort and felt like a Star Wars film.

'Crashing and Burning since 1987'
#4502539 - 01/03/20 02:47 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Saw it yesterday in a local IMAX 3D theater. I liked it. I thought some of the comedy moments were a bit off in a "that was funnier in my head" kind of way. And the schmaltz was pretty thick in some spots. But what are you gonna do? It's a "hero" movie and it's supposed to be like that.

On the other hand, I thought it was a good ending to the Skywalker saga. Not that "Return of the Jedi" wouldn't have been, but overall a good followup if you felt one was necessary. Not sorry at all that I spent the money to see it at the theater and will be buying it when it's available.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4502540 - 01/03/20 02:49 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: vonBaur]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by vonBaur
And the schmaltz was pretty thick in some spots..

What's interesting to me is that the original SW trilogy has quite a bit of schmaltz as well but those films are revered by the fandom. Go figure!

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 01/03/20 02:50 PM.

#4502546 - 01/03/20 03:46 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Absolutely, PM. Another reason that it kind of "fit". Still, schmaltz is schmaltz. And like I said, it's a "hero" movie, and they tend to have schmaltz out the ying-yang.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4502547 - 01/03/20 03:47 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
One of the reasons why I find the new trilogy inferior (and also the prequels, to a slightly lesser extent) is that it introduces all kinds of new characters and then just forgets about them or kills them off.

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
#4502566 - 01/03/20 05:54 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Just back from seeing it, well I fell asleep at one point so I guess that about sums it up.

Who? … Where? oh Palpatine on a stick yeah okay

Not the best, some scenes you could see coming, but then again it was better than the first film with Rey in it but not by much.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4502567 - 01/03/20 05:54 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: Johan217]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted by Johan217
One of the reasons why I find the new trilogy inferior (and also the prequels, to a slightly lesser extent) is that it introduces all kinds of new characters and then just forgets about them or kills them off.

It's only been three movies, but I'm guessing that the process of adding new characters was more marketing than storytelling. They wanted to appeal to a younger audience, and potentially set up additional movies to sell.

I think the way much of the events in TLJ were handled shows that they tried to almost forget that movie, and RoS is almost a direct sequel to TFA. I can't recall for certain, but I think there are only about 2 fairly major plot points from TLJ that have any impact on RoS, and that's Snoke's death and Luke's death. Other than that, I think you could watch TLJ and then RoS and not feel like you missed anything. That may be why some of the newer characters didn't last long.

Ken Cartwright

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.