#4502034 - 12/31/19 12:29 AM The fires are still raging  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
MSM:

"Thousands of people who were warned to flee a Victorian coastal holiday town are trapped on a beach and being told to go into the water as a bushfire closes in.

horities believe about 4000 people are still at Mallacoota, in the state's far east, which is being hit by fire about 8.30am on Tuesday.
Residents and holidaymakers were told to leave the region by Monday morning, as authorities prepared to close the Princes Highway amid the deteriorating conditions.
'We are very concerned about communities that have become isolated and to get an appreciation about other losses there could be we'll be putting helicopters up doing reconnaissance flights,' Emergency Management Commissioner Andrew Crisp said.
The sky turned an eerie shade of black on Tuesday morning in Mallacoota as firefighters desperately tried to create a 'wall of water' as a last line of defence.
Terrified people trapped on the beach said they were standing on the pier with lifejackets waiting for the signal to jump in the water.
The fires grew rapidly overnight due to winds and lightning strikes and have ripped through more than 200,000 hectares in Victoria's East Gippsland.

The sky turned a deep shade of red in Mallacoota about 7.30am on Tuesday
The fire has cut power to the town, with AusNet Services reporting 5700 properties in East Gippsland without electricity due to the fires, and another 1800 in northeast Victoria also down.
Mobile and landline phone lines are also down in parts.
'It's not pleasant, it's pitch dark here and the emergency vehicles have disappeared from sight,' resident and local community radio presenter Francesca Winterson told ABC Gippsland.
'The power's been out here a long time and we've run out of solar.
'My home's in the fire path, I won't have a home, that's just the way it's going to be, we have to try and be calm.'
One resident wrote on Twitter: 'The darkness in Mallacoota is utterly surreal. Not far off pitch black when this should be a beautiful sunny morning.'
'This is the worst waiting now. Pitch black. The roar of... something. No visible fire but we (and our CFA neighbour) are sure it's coming.'
Michelle Roberts, who was seeking shelter at her cafe Croajingolong with a few others, told The Age: 'I can describe it as probably hell on earth.'

Mallacoota, in Victoria, was still pitch black at 8.4am on Tuesday
Mr Crisp said on Monday morning it was too dangerous for people to leave as out-of-control fires took hold of East Gippsland.
'If you're not out by 9am, you've got to stay where you are, because there's every chance the Princes Highway could be cut,' he told Sunrise.
The Princes Highway between Bairnsdale and Genoa was then shut at 1pm on and remains closed.
VicTraffic said: 'The Princes Highway in East Gippsland remains closed between Bairnsdale and Genoa, due to the fires. Major road closures include the Bonang and Great Alpine roads, and Monaro Highway.'

On Sunday, local retailer Richard Darby warned residents and tourists choosing to ignore the warnings that it 'could be suicide'.
'It's going to be a very bad day tomorrow, they are telling everyone to get out while they can,' Mr Darby told The Herald Sun.
East Gippsland Mayor John White said bushland in the region was bone dry after three years of drought.
'Hopefully people heed the messages. You can rebuild homes, sheds and fences but life is irreplaceable,' he said."

Our really bad fires in Northern NSW seem to have burnt out.

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4502038 - 12/31/19 12:41 AM Re: The fires are still raging [Re: Mad Max]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

I also feel sorry for those poor cute adorable fluffy cuddly Koalas that died by the 1000s

[Linked Image]
#4502039 - 12/31/19 12:50 AM Re: The fires are still raging [Re: Mad Max]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
We also lost three firefighters.

#4502046 - 12/31/19 01:20 AM Re: The fires are still raging [Re: Mad Max]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Mad Max
We also lost three firefighters.

I wasn't aware of that.

R.I.P.

[Linked Image]
#4502057 - 12/31/19 03:23 AM Re: The fires are still raging [Re: Mad Max]  
coasty Offline
coasty  Offline

Asheville, NC, USA
unless you have been a wild fire, you cannot fully understand the horror. Duluth has had some bad grass fires when I lived there and while fighting one and I got cut off for a while with no apparent way to run. I came mighty close to total panic.

Have you seen the Arrow? WWW
#4502058 - 12/31/19 03:27 AM Re: The fires are still raging [Re: coasty]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Originally Posted by coasty
unless you have been a wild fire, you cannot fully understand the horror. Duluth has had some bad grass fires when I lived there and while fighting one and I got cut off for a while with no apparent way to run. I came mighty close to total panic.

My uncle had to use his Cat, to save his house the wild fires of 1976 in Moose Lake,MN. In 1988, the fires were even worse. Never forget seeing the Mississippi river run dry.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4502061 - 12/31/19 04:13 AM Re: The fires are still raging [Re: Mad Max]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
These fires started in October. There is no sign of a let up. It's now all the East coat.

#4502179 - 12/31/19 11:17 PM Re: The fires are still raging [Re: Mad Max]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
Three more dead and eight missing overnight. People driven into the sea in Victoria.

#4502186 - 12/31/19 11:50 PM Re: The fires are still raging [Re: Mad Max]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Hotshot

brasil
Excuse me Max, i may need to brush my geography a bit but if people are on the beach why should they go to the water, the fire cant go over the sand or ifs thos rocky beachs type.
Also is like a whole side of the island on fire, looked liked it on tv.
i pity all the already endangerous animals right now, surely some are already on the extiction list by now.

RIP to the fire fighters, during service because we were based on amazon we were taugh how to deal with forest fire, it can get scary pretty fast.

#4502189 - 01/01/20 12:24 AM Re: The fires are still raging [Re: Mad Max]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Link to fire map, ms-settings:privacy-location

Stay safe Ozzie friends.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4502191 - 01/01/20 12:47 AM Re: The fires are still raging [Re: Mad Max]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
Blade, the bush goes right to the beach and the radiant heat from the fires is enough to melt cars.. The fireys urged people to go into the water. These areas are largely tourist spots and many are holiday makers. We had all this in November/December, the fires and smoke plumes were visible from our house. Around Glen Innes is utter desolation, nothing left to burn. In over 40 years in Oz I have never seen the like before. The Council staff say that Wytaliba, a village near Glen looks like it received a nuclear strike, everything gone, houses, bridge, the lot. Two were killed there, one in his car.

Last edited by Mad Max; 01/01/20 12:49 AM.

#4502193 - 01/01/20 12:55 AM Re: The fires are still raging [Re: Mad Max]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
Fire map:

https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/fires-near-me

The black areas are burnt out. You can zoom in/out and overlook the whole country.

"Thousands of holidaymakers have been forced to take shelter on beaches in southern NSW and Victoria as catastrophic fires ripped through coastal towns on New Year’s Eve, killing three people and leaving five others missing.

Homes, shops, and schools were razed in a continuing crisis, with 16 emergency fire warnings remaining in place across both states and hundreds of fires still burning.

The Australian Defence Force was called in on Tuesday to assist in the national emergency, with naval vessels, planes and helicopters to be deployed on evacuation missions and to ferry essential supplies­ to the fire

An estimated 4000 people who had sought refuge on the foreshore at Mallacoota in Victoria’s east remained stranded on Tuesday night, with fire officers telling them it was too dangerous to ­return to their homes.

They had arrived on the beach on Monday, all fleeing a fast-­moving fire closing in on the town.

Father and son Robert and Patrick­ Salway, 63 and 29, died near the fire-ravaged town of Cobargo on Monday evening while defending their farm at Wandella."

#4502197 - 01/01/20 01:09 AM Re: The fires are still raging [Re: Mad Max]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
More from Australian:

"
The fire tornado that claimed the life of NSW volunteer firefighter Samuel McPaul was a “pyro-­convection’’ column that sucks in huge quantities of air and can generate­ its own clouds, thunder and even rain.

Senior meteorologist at the Burea­u of Meteorology extreme weather desk Dean Sgarbossa said the freak weather event would be almost impossible to outrun, even in the middle of an open field.

“They travel in speeds comfortably in excess of 100km/h,” he said. “It’s very hard to measure winds around those fires because they’re so dangerous.”

Mr Sgarbossa said fire tornad­oes occurred when huge volumes of air were sucked into a fire, generatin­g a massive cloud called a pyrocumulonimbus. The clouds can generate thunderstorms, intense­ rains and lightning strikes.

Like regular tornadoes, fire tor­nados are known for the intense, random damage they cause. “They can make a lot of debris out of shipping containers, they’re renowned for destroying houses completely,” Mr Sgarbossa said.

People caught in the path of these thunderstorms report hearing roaring noise as the fire ­approaches. “In the Alpine and Black Saturday fires, there were reports of hail coming out of these thunderstorms,’’ he said

NSW Rural Fire Service district manager Superintendent Patrick Westwood said Mr McPaul had been “doing everything right”.

“He thought he was in the right spot — as he was, from what I can understand — and just this freakish weather event that would have to be seen to be believed,’’ Mr Westwood said in a statement.

“Even then, other veteran firefighters don’t believe what they saw — (it) engulfed that vehicle with flame, fire and strong winds and literally picked up an eight-tonne truck and flipped it over.”

#4502223 - 01/01/20 10:25 AM Re: The fires are still raging [Re: Mad Max]  
BD-123 Online content
Old Scroat
BD-123  Online Content
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
The footage we see over here is reminiscent of firestorm footage of Hamburg and Dresden. Must be beyond terrifying to experience.
Seems that Ozzie trees are more flammable than those we have here.
Stay safe mate.

#4502224 - 01/01/20 11:28 AM Re: The fires are still raging [Re: Mad Max]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
we are living in the age of extreme weather - it is going to be interesting to see how we are going to cope with it.

#4502281 - 01/01/20 07:52 PM Re: The fires are still raging [Re: Mad Max]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Originally Posted by Mad Max
More from Australian:

"The fire tornado that claimed the life of NSW volunteer firefighter Samuel McPaul was a “pyro-­convection’’ column that sucks in huge quantities of air and can generate­ its own clouds, thunder and even rain.

Senior meteorologist at the Burea­u of Meteorology extreme weather desk Dean Sgarbossa said the freak weather event would be almost impossible to outrun, even in the middle of an open field.

“They travel in speeds comfortably in excess of 100km/h,” he said. “It’s very hard to measure winds around those fires because they’re so dangerous.”

Mr Sgarbossa said fire tornad­oes occurred when huge volumes of air were sucked into a fire, generatin­g a massive cloud called a pyrocumulonimbus. The clouds can generate thunderstorms, intense­ rains and lightning strikes.

Like regular tornadoes, fire tor­nados are known for the intense, random damage they cause. “They can make a lot of debris out of shipping containers, they’re renowned for destroying houses completely,” Mr Sgarbossa said.

People caught in the path of these thunderstorms report hearing roaring noise as the fire ­approaches. “In the Alpine and Black Saturday fires, there were reports of hail coming out of these thunderstorms,’’ he said

NSW Rural Fire Service district manager Superintendent Patrick Westwood said Mr McPaul had been “doing everything right”.

“He thought he was in the right spot — as he was, from what I can understand — and just this freakish weather event that would have to be seen to be believed,’’ Mr Westwood said in a statement.

“Even then, other veteran firefighters don’t believe what they saw — (it) engulfed that vehicle with flame, fire and strong winds and literally picked up an eight-tonne truck and flipped it over.”

eek2 .... hope we have some of our people over there helping out Max, sounds aweful

"NSW police Detective Inspector Scott Nelson said the 19-year-old man -- a volunteer for the Rural Fire Service -- had been charged with seven counts of deliberately setting fires over a six-week period.
He was arrested on Tuesday night after allegedly lighting a blaze in the Bega Valley area, in the state's southeast, that afternoon.
"As part of his duties as an (Rural Fire Service) volunteer he later attended that fire with other members and that fire was extinguished," Nelson said."

cuss

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4503560 - 01/13/20 03:26 AM Re: The fires are still raging [Re: Mad Max]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
It's still happening. This was this weekend:

"Mr McVean stayed to defend his home as his paddocks burned. He tried to reach his cattle and open the gates to offer the animals a chance of survival but the flames made the task impossible.

When the blaze moved, he discovered some of the cattle had died while attempting to seek shelter in a steel stockyard.

“The poor cattle jammed into that corner and they obviously panicked and they busted the rails off the post,” he said.

“They were that desperate to try and get away.”

Mr McVean’s granddaughter Kelsie Lupson, 21, is a keen horserider and rode to her pop’s property in the nearby town of Tintaldra to try and rustle any surviving cattle that had gotten loose when the fences burned away.

She said she and her horse were confronted by dead animals strewn across roads and fields.

“They (the animals) were just burnt to a crisp and walking past them, the horses just know that they’re dead,” she said.

“And the birds, there were just so many dead birds. And the kangaroos.

“It’s awful going through there.”

Mr McVean said there weren’t enough CFA firefighters in the area to contain the blaze so some young men grabbed what they could and managed to stop the fire from spreading through the valley.

In town, Andrew Jackson spent New Year’s Eve on his roof with the local priest watching fire tear up the valley."

I'm posting this just so you can keep these people in mind. It's still far from over.

More than 1 billion living creatures are estimated to have been destroyed in the fires which have burned more than 6 million hectares.

Last edited by Mad Max; 01/13/20 04:05 AM.

#4503673 - 01/13/20 10:26 PM Re: The fires are still raging [Re: Mad Max]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
frown

#4503683 - 01/13/20 11:24 PM Re: The fires are still raging [Re: Mad Max]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
jawdrop

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4503690 - 01/13/20 11:41 PM Re: The fires are still raging [Re: Mad Max]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
It will be years if ever before the country and its wildlife and domestic herds recover. And the fires are still burning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.