Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4501604 - 12/26/19 02:14 AM Contact  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
I’m watching it for what must be at least the 10th time. What a great movie! While it deviates significantly from the book I think it really captures the message and has the feel of the book. The screenplay writers really did their homework, and Robert Zemeckis really brought it to life.

In the scene when Ellie was giving her funding presentation at Hadden Industries, did anyone else think she was wearing a very Cosmos-y Carl Sagan outfit? biggrin

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4501612 - 12/26/19 03:29 AM Re: Contact [Re: NH2112]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I really liked the movie until the very end. I was disappointed and found the ending to be quite underwhelming. The movie built up the mystery and journey so well that the ending was by comparison subpar.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4501615 - 12/26/19 04:08 AM Re: Contact [Re: NH2112]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
The problem is, I think, that the book ending required some dialog in the movie that never took place, and just putting it (the book ending) in would have been a huge non sequitur without the background. And would finding a series of numerals that describe a perfect circle in base-11 mathematics a few billion places into pi (or something along those lines) really resonate with many moviegoers? I’d have to guess that most people who saw the movie never read the book, or if they did it was after seeing the movie. I know I didn’t read it before.

Sometimes an ending that puts the ball in your court and makes you think about what you think can be anticlimactic. I think it ended the movie well. Carl Sagan was always about finding your own answers to anything that wasn’t empirical.

I like how Tucker Smallwood’s mission director character wore a vest in what had to have been an homage to Gene Kranz.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4501618 - 12/26/19 04:46 AM Re: Contact [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I really liked the movie until the very end. I was disappointed and found the ending to be quite underwhelming. The movie built up the mystery and journey so well that the ending was by comparison subpar.

I think Starlog magazine gave this movie a made-up award called "Best Movie Until The Ending" the year it came out. They would make up awards at the end of the year based on what they thought of different movies.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4501619 - 12/26/19 05:37 AM Re: Contact [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA

What was bad about the ending in your opinion?

#4501628 - 12/26/19 11:28 AM Re: Contact [Re: NH2112]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by NH2112
I’d have to guess that most people who saw the movie never read the book,

I like how Tucker Smallwood’s mission director character wore a vest in what had to have been an homage to Gene Kranz.

I have not read the book yet but it's on my long reading list. I totally forgot that Tucker Smallwood was in Contact. I mostly remember him for his guest role on one of the most famous X-Files episodes of all time and for his role as the carrier captain in "Space, Above & Beyond".

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4501630 - 12/26/19 11:37 AM Re: Contact [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman

I have not read the book so I'm sure I would have had more of an appreciation for the ending but at the time when I first saw it in the theater, I was expecting an ending that was on the same epic scale as the questions raised earlier in the movie. Where is this strange TV transmission coming from? Is it an alien race? How far are they from us?

The last thing I was expecting was for Jodi Foster to find some kind of Jedi-like spirit version of her long dead father.

#4501635 - 12/26/19 11:54 AM Re: Contact [Re: NH2112]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
I enjoyed the book, and enjoyed the movie when it came out. I think the ending works pretty well, as it directly put a scientific experience into the realm of the book's other context, faith.

As an aside, and for the fellow nerds, the movie has the first example of CGI inserted into a free camera movement scene. The helicopter shot that has the teleportation structure on the horizon. It's trivial now, but this was the first successful example.

Last edited by DM; 12/26/19 11:55 AM.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4501737 - 12/27/19 05:29 PM Re: Contact [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME

The last thing I was expecting was for Jodi Foster to find some kind of Jedi-like spirit version of her long dead father.

That’s what happened to the travelers (there were 5) in the book. IIRC it happened in their sleep, though.

Phil

#4501752 - 12/27/19 07:29 PM Re: Contact [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman

I have not read the book so I'm sure I would have had more of an appreciation for the ending but at the time when I first saw it in the theater, I was expecting an ending that was on the same epic scale as the questions raised earlier in the movie. Where is this strange TV transmission coming from? Is it an alien race? How far are they from us?

I think this was most people's view as well. Certainly mine.

After all the build up, to have contact with an alien race in a way that wasn't really contact was a real let down for me. I think they could have had more of an alien encounter and still had the unrecorded info and faith issues.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4501754 - 12/27/19 07:49 PM Re: Contact [Re: NH2112]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I actually think the ending to Contact was accurate, moving and perfect.

Aliens taking the form of a human for a pleasant exchange is quite logical, and further proof of their superior technology.

That we were not ready for what they had to share--even more appropriate. It's been a while since I've seen the film, but every time I have I was pleased with how things ended. That they altered the flow of time between present and when she was traveling was icing on the cake, for it alluded to the non-linearity of time and our Universe in that everything is not constant and operating at the same sequential tick everywhere.

One of the best sci-fi films of all time, written by one of the greatest minds of the 20th Century.

#4501764 - 12/27/19 10:18 PM Re: Contact [Re: NH2112]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Australia,Sandstone Point
Theres a recent movie out from the Uk called Cosmos that has similar themes and has a much more fulfilling ending..

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.