Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4501257 - 12/23/19 06:02 AM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

There was some good parts to it but for the most part it was poorly written and poorly put together and poorly coordinated with the other movies. I dont thing whoever greenlite this script even watched the last movie let alone gave a #%&*$# about the history of SW canon etc.

The best think I can say about the movie is that at least the trilogy is over.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4501264 - 12/23/19 11:47 AM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: Master]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Master
let alone gave a #%&*$# about the history of SW canon etc.

My gut feeling tells me that this was NOT a significant priority (if at all) for the Disney execs.

This can all be traced back to Lucas selling LF to Disney. Once Disney bought the IP, they had total free reign to do whatever they want to it.

What I do find funny though is all of the hate directed at Lucas by many fans for the crappy prequels but now he's being lionized by many of those same fans because they don't like what Disney has done. LOL

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4501307 - 12/23/19 04:23 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Eh, I wouldn't give him a pass for the prequels, either--but I liked what he did with the original trilogy. However, that wasn't all him. That was Larry Kasdan's writing at work with Empire and Jedi.

Both the prequels and the new trilogy have had characters violate their own psyche and continuity has been trashed. Those are sins that many viewers will have a hard time with forgiving.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 12/23/19 04:23 PM.
#4501311 - 12/23/19 04:39 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
I think expectations play a big part in how much people enjoyed RoS.
I went in expecting some pew-pew, some 'oh no, good guys are in trouble moments' followed by some 'woohoo, last minute rescue' bits, along with some 'is the bad guy going to turn good? Is the good guy going to turn bad?' morality flag waving, all topped off with some Star Wars throwbacks.
That's pretty much exactly what I got.
It seems other people went in expecting deep storytelling, intensive character development, big cohesive plot with lots of complexity and twists. But Star Wars has never had that, it's had maybe 1 or 2 plot twists or surprises per episode (I am your father, it's a trap, the Emperor knew they were coming, etc.), the OT plots are pretty thin (big bad empire doing big bad stuff, need to go blow up bad things), and characters are interesting, but nothing too complex. So people went in expecting to hate it, and wanting something that it was never going to be, and were unhappy.
Sure, there are plot holes and badly explained bits, but is that really that important in the context of what it is?

I do find the new-found prequel love to be quite amusing, also.

#4501321 - 12/23/19 05:46 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: FlyingToaster]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by FlyingToaster

It seems other people went in expecting deep storytelling, intensive character development, big cohesive plot with lots of complexity and twists. But Star Wars has never had that, it's had maybe 1 or 2 plot twists or surprises per episode (I am your father, it's a trap, the Emperor knew they were coming, etc.), the OT plots are pretty thin (big bad empire doing big bad stuff, need to go blow up bad things), and characters are interesting, but nothing too complex. So people went in expecting to hate it, and wanting something that it was never going to be, and were unhappy.

+1

Hence my previous post mentioning "Blade Runner" and "2001". smile

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 12/23/19 05:46 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4501368 - 12/24/19 02:37 AM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Time heals all wounds.
Except for Highlander 2. Not that it exists or anything, but hypothetically...

I decided to watch SW Rebels, the animated series that takes place after Clone Wars. These are an odd mix of light, fast stories, but still somewhat brutal.
Thrawn has popped up and is presented as he is in the Thrawn trilogy, what with the demeanor, art, holographic copies in his quarters etc. So, at least if the books are no longer “official”, they may have had an influence.

I could swear I saw Wedge in that final battle, anyone else think one of the pilots that checked in looked like the actor from the original trilogy?

edit: yep, but I don’t know if it was the one I thought it was. I think he had a beard if it was him. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0493200/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t16

Last edited by Raw Kryptonite; 12/24/19 02:44 AM.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4501384 - 12/24/19 10:29 AM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Is Rose Tico in this one?

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4501388 - 12/24/19 12:08 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: Chucky]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Chucky
Is Rose Tico in this one?

Yes. Her role is smaller than it was in Last Jedi though.

#4501402 - 12/24/19 01:58 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Ok. She's like Jar Jar Binks to me,I may give it a miss. I'm still annoyed at The Last Jedi pitchafit

My brother has put me onto a fan edit of the 3 prequel movies,heavily edited into one film and re-written and then dubbed into Japanese with subs. The dub into Japanese is to get new dialogue into the edit.

It's called Star Wars: The Blackened Mantle. Worth a go I reckon.

Last edited by Chucky; 12/24/19 02:13 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4501457 - 12/24/19 09:46 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
One of the improvements was downplaying her to the point of being inconsequential. If she was out entirely, it would've been too obvious, but they went with pretty much the bare minimum.

Edit Attack of the Clones to drop the Anakin/Padme scenes and it would be a great flick.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4501540 - 12/25/19 07:15 AM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
FourSpeed Offline
FourSpeed  Offline

Phoenix, AZ

I'm truly glad some folks are enjoying the current film - I won't be seeing it.

For me, The Last Jedi was a complete and total character assassination, and it effectively killed the entire franchise for me going forward...

I have zero intentions of watching another "Star Wars" film. Like some here, I saw the original in theaters, and have watched them several times again, over the years.

I have definite feelings and opinions on what a proper SW film should be....

Unfortunately, I'm 100% certain those feelings and opinions will be utterly disregarded, and instead, be replaced by bitter disappointment at best, or outright revulsion at worst (TLJ fit the latter).

I sometimes can't help but wonder if the folks making the new movies ever actually saw the first 3 in the series...

Anyway, I'll pass...

Cheers,
4 ~S!~

#4501541 - 12/25/19 07:40 AM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

@FourSpeed:

If you thought The Last Jedi messed up the Star Wars franchise, you will have to see The Rise of Skywalker.

Disney just made feces up as they went along.

The whole movie felt as if they didn't have a script and they just improvised and make up stuff on each day of filming.

Did anyone catch the kiss at the end of The Rise of Skywalker?

Disney's attempt to use Star Wars to represent the LGBTQ community.

[Linked Image]
#4501564 - 12/25/19 03:46 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I really couldn't care less about that.

#4501576 - 12/25/19 08:45 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
What incentive does Disney have to change its creative direction with the franchise when their box office success has been stellar even with the slight hiccup of “Solo”?

Answer: there is none.

#4501727 - 12/27/19 04:09 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
I went in expecting the worst, but I have to say that I found it entertaining enough and all in all enjoyed it more than any of the prequel movies. Despite the loose ends and stuff that didn't make much sense, it did not leave me in complete disbelief like TLJ did.

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
#4501781 - 12/28/19 02:53 AM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
@FourSpeed:

If you thought The Last Jedi messed up the Star Wars franchise, you will have to see The Rise of Skywalker.

Disney just made feces up as they went along.

The whole movie felt as if they didn't have a script and they just improvised and make up stuff on each day of filming.

Did anyone catch the kiss at the end of The Rise of Skywalker?

Disney's attempt to use Star Wars to represent the LGBTQ community.

I was hoping that Chewbacca would leg hump a chick for even more inclusion. biggrin

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4501782 - 12/28/19 02:54 AM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
I just saw it with my Dad and we really enjoyed it. I wasn't on the lookout for plot holes and stuff like that so I really had a good time. smile

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4501783 - 12/28/19 03:17 AM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Just got back from seeing it, and I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe it was low expectations, but it was way better than the other two sequels. I largely agree with NoFlyBoy in that I think it righted or ignored most of the big wrongs from TLJ. There was stuff that I didn't like in it, or thought didn't really fit, but overall my initial reaction was positive.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4501848 - 12/29/19 12:27 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
I finally saw the TROS last week and feel that the film was simply a hot mess. I give it a fair review due to have so much crap thrown up on the screen. We will see if my thoughts on TROS change over time or if I see the film again. I think a large part of the film problems was Abram's having to patch up the series after TLJ. Abram's is still complicit in creating TROS mess since he threw so much material into the film. I think the film could have been much improved with some streamlining of plot and characters.

I saw the film on IMAX and visually it looked fantastic. The crowd seemed somewhat enthused before and after the viewing so that was nice to see. Overall, I am feeling relieved that the three trilogies are completed.

Animal Mother > Rambo+ChuckNorris
#4502079 - 12/31/19 12:41 PM Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Re: bones]  
mailman Offline
Hotshot
mailman  Offline
Hotshot

London
Saw this last night. Asked a few friends if they wanted to go again and they said no. Now I know why!

I was BITTERLY disappointed with the movie. So many "for f88ks sake" moments. And the two girls kissing...how do I put this as Im always up for some good lesbo pr0n...why? What possible point was there to them getting off with each other right at the end given both were non-characters with absolutely no back story...why not just make it a couple fecking aliens touching tenticles or some other b9llocks like that ffs!!

And the ground assault on the antenna station on the cruiser?!?1 Why not just blow the fecking thing up with a speeder ffs!!! ARGGGGHHH!!! Oh and they just happened to throw their grenades down the right fecking hole to blow the antenna up!!! I mean honestly!! [pulling hair out].

And then Rei and Ben kissing at the end has to be up there with Luke and his sister pashing! Then Lando and that black chick are now gonna get it on! At least there was one saving grace where Rose played feck all role in this movie! And what about the Imps! was expecting them to make an appearance at second! And the Emperor! Looked like he got something icky on his fingers when he started sucking the life out of Rei and Ben!! Then Ben kisses Rei and dies...she must be REALLY bad at kissing hahaha

The ONLY saving grace was the big screen format with surround sound otherwise watching this on a tv is going to be cack.

The only movies worth watching in any of the ones after the original three were Rogue One (possibly the best of all the new movies), Solo and maybe Force Awakens otherwise the Last Jedi and this one arent really worth seeing at the movies (ie. save your money).

But as others have said...these movies aren't for us older peeps. They are for the new fans with no attention spans.

Last edited by mailman; 12/31/19 12:45 PM.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.