Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4500654 - 12/17/19 01:38 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
I take it that maneuver at around :45 is the new and improved version of Maverick doing his signature "hitting the brakes and he'll fly right by" maneuver?

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4500655 - 12/17/19 01:40 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
LOL Bones. I really love your passion for Top Gun!

You'll probably drive your wife crazy with all of the analysis you'll be doing while watching the movie. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4500659 - 12/17/19 02:00 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
PM,

Haha yeah. I already dragged her to the re-release in 3-D in the theatre and the anniversary release in the theatre.

This time I'm dragging her to the IMAX release and I will be a nice husband and bring her a barf bag.

Another thought or two on the trailer...the fight at the end where they are engaged with a missile and they are flaring and maybe even chaffing--that is pretty cool. It kinda reminds me of "Behind Enemy Lines". Although that scene was hardly realistic, it was pulse-pounding and so it would be cool to see something like that again, just more "realistic." Also made me wonder why when Hollywood and Wolfman got shot at (and Iceman and Slider), why they didn't pop flares?

I also noticed that Rooster's helmet looks similar to Goose's...homage? Or he happened to be assigned to the same squadron that Maverick and Goose were in, the fictional VF-1?

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4500684 - 12/17/19 03:47 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by bones
Can a Navy Captain can afford a P-51D?

v6,
boNes

Sure, if he has some really great investments on the side. smile

I meant Tom Cruise's P-51. He owns one.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4500705 - 12/17/19 05:06 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I really liked hearing the original theme too Panzer. I hope they keep that quality throughout. The dialogue between the trainees in that scene turned me off a bit. Even if unrealistic and Hollywood the dialogue between jets in the first movie didn't bug me. This clip though did. I hope the whole movie's chatter doesn't sound like that. Sounds like Hollywood college kids talking while getting a free roller coaster ride.

One of the things I was most concerned about was the aerial photography but thankfully it looks like they indeed spared no expense to capture real footage that now looks to set the bar again as Final Countdown and Top Gun had. The aerial shots look outstanding!

The black project aurora-like spy jet was kind of surprising but makes sense now of that pressure suit we saw him in earlier. Now they'll have to make sure the CG is top notch so that it doesn't look cheesy fake standing next to all the great real photography. The jet blast or shock wave passing over the bystanders look and sounds cool. That's a good reminder of how sound can really add a tactile punch and depth to something we see. I've always appreciated good sound work in games such as gunfire should sound like gunfire and lend to the immersion of what you are seeing on screen.

Perhaps it doesn't fit the story but it would have been nice if they had Maverick flying something real like the U-2 which they could then get real footage of. But if he's on some super secret high risk recon mission, I'm sure that in real life they are using something far beyond public knowledge that has long since replaced known surveillance aircraft so in that sense they are probably not too far off.

I bet that is his Mustang Raw Kryptonite. This movie would be a good reason for him to get it on the big screen with him flying it. Sort of like Harm from JAG. When not doing what he has to do you find him in his dad's Stearman or working for a crop dusting outfit keeping his flying skills and love for flying alive.

Last edited by Coot; 12/17/19 05:16 PM.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4500770 - 12/18/19 02:30 AM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
Marc Offline
Marc  Offline

Corona, California
Yup!! Really looking forward to this one

Marc..

HP-Compaq-8100-Elite-SFF-Intel-Core-i5-660-3-33GHz-8GB-250GB-Windows7, GTX1050 -X45+Rudder Pedals, Playseat Challenge
#4500854 - 12/18/19 08:47 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
Chaz Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Chaz  Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls

And sh!t just got real.....

#4500858 - 12/18/19 09:58 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Cruise really flew an aircraft during the filming of Top Gun Maverick, just not the F/A-18.

He may have sat in a F/A-18 for the close up scenes while someone else piloted it.

By the way, he is a licensed pilot.

In the last Mission Impossible, he really flew the chopper at the end.

He said he wants his movies to look real and to use as little CGI as possible.

Therefore he will do whatever it's necessary to make it happen including doing his own stunts and learning to pilot choppers and fighter jets.

I think the real explanation is Cruise is a self centered egoistical arrogant ahole who wants to be in almost every second of his film and who gets a kick from seeing himself on the screen,

that's why he won't let a stunt person take his place during the dangerous scenes and stunts.

He broke his ankle jumping from one building to another during the filming of the last Mission Impossible movie.

#4500861 - 12/18/19 10:28 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Originally Posted by Chaz
And sh!t just got real.....

Ack, beat me to it!

v6,
boNes

#4500862 - 12/18/19 10:33 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Cruise really flew an aircraft during the filming of Top Gun Maverick, just not the F/A-18.

He may have sat in a F/A-18 for the close up scenes while someone else piloted it.

By the way, he is a licensed pilot.

In the last Mission Impossible, he really flew the chopper at the end.

He said he wants his movies to look real and to use as little CGI as possible.

Therefore he will do whatever it's necessary to make it happen including doing his own stunts and learning to pilot choppers and fighter jets.

I think the real explanation is Cruise is a self centered egoistical arrogant ahole who wants to be in almost every second of his film and who gets a kick from seeing himself on the screen,

that's why he won't let a stunt person take his place during the dangerous scenes and stunts.

He broke his ankle jumping from one building to another during the filming of the last Mission Impossible movie.

Well that went south fast!

I don't think he flew the Super Hornet in the movie. He is in the front seat, but in the rear seat there are controls and the real naval aviator could fly for him. In the new behind the scenes clip, you also see the canopy coming down and he is in the backseat so I think he was only in the front to sit in. I seriously doubt that the US Navy would not want someone who hasn't been through the 2 years of naval aviation training to fly one of their top strike fighters just because.

However, I am convinced he did really fly an airplane in the new Top Gun and that would be the P-51 that you see in it, as he does own and fly one in real life.

v6,
boNes

#4500896 - 12/19/19 10:27 AM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Yep. Looking forward to this one!

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4500998 - 12/20/19 02:27 AM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Wow. Great video Chaz. So happy to see what they are doing with the aerial photography. I wonder if they are even going to use any mock up cockpits at all or shoot all scenes between pilots and their acting and chatter while live in cockpit? Perhaps as much as they can and then some prop stuff here and there for what's not possible to do.

I'm curious if Top Gun 2 Maverick will inspire a new generation of folks to join the Navy to become fliers? I remember watching a Weekday Wings on the A-6 Intruder and I remember hearing some of the pilots saying they wanted to become naval aviators because of Top Gun. I think they said too that they were hoping to get Tomcats but they were just as thrilled to be flying the A-6 and spoke of it fondly.

Last edited by Coot; 12/20/19 02:31 AM.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4501002 - 12/20/19 03:24 AM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy

Yeah, maybe so but I don't care. His movies almost always deliver, and as long as they do I don't care what he does off screen. smile

#4501033 - 12/20/19 11:40 AM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Ego and arrogance among Hollywood celebs? Please say it ain't so!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4501050 - 12/20/19 02:08 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth

One should follow the example shown by Keanu Reeves!

v6,
boNes

#4501053 - 12/20/19 02:18 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by bones

One should follow the example shown by Keanu Reeves!

v6,
boNes

Absolutely. He's also a rare exception and not the rule. smile

#4501055 - 12/20/19 02:30 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
I'm surprised they haven't replaced Tom Cruise with Adam Driver....speaking of self-centered egotistical arrogant aholes.... at least those are the characters he always plays and I have to think TYPE CASTING...

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#4501058 - 12/20/19 03:17 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
When this one comes out, my son will be exactly the same age I was when Top Gun hit the theatres. Now I'm curious if it will have the same effect on him (whether it is interest in aviation, mimicking Steve Stevens on the guitar or a peculiar propensity to drop movie quotes in conversations) smile

Last edited by Johan217; 12/20/19 03:18 PM.

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
#4501060 - 12/20/19 03:22 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: Johan217]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Johan217
When this one comes out, my son will be exactly the same age I was when Top Gun hit the theatres.

I was 14 in 1986 and I remember that being a very good year for movies. Top Gun, Aliens, Star Trek IV, The Fly, Blue Velvet, etc.

1986 was also the year of "Iron Eagle" which you could call the poor man's Top Gun. biggrin

#4501090 - 12/20/19 08:56 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
Iron Eagle just didn't click with me. Might have been partly due to the fact that F-16s did not have the same magic for me (I could see plenty of those in my area), but the story was just... rubbish, even for a 12 year old.

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.