Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4500407 - 12/15/19 12:41 PM Poor performance in Windows 10 - Please help!  
stufer Offline
stufer  Offline

Nottingham, England
Good day to everyone

I hope someone will be able to help me out with my recent problems with performance in this sim.

My system specs:
I7 4790K 4ghz (boost mode at 4.4ghz)
NVidia GTX 980
2x 1 TB SSD
1x 3TB HDD

I had it running absolutely perfectly last week in WIndows 7. I was running all graphics options at the highest setting except scenery density at 4 and Forests at Medium. Vsync was set through the driver to be on along with triple buffering.
I never checked my FPS because it ran perfectly smoothly at all times.

Last week I had an update from Windows 7 which, when I turned my PC back on, all I got was a black screen but with the mouse cursor visible. After much faffing I eventually managed to get it booted up in safe mode, removed the update and that allowed me to start up normally again. However, there seemed to be some problems with the way windows was running. So I decided to go ahead and install the free upgrade to Windows 10 as I needed to do that before January anyway. Install was fine and pretty painless and all the problems that were being displayed were gone. So far so good!

So I loaded up WOFF and it all started normally but when it loaded the cfs3.exe and went to the 3d it was very choppy. It always has that initial loading stutter when I look around with Trackir but that usually clears after a few seconds. Now though, any time I look around it stutters really badly. I turned on the FPS counter and could see the FPS dipping down to the 20s and 30s whenever I looked around. Also, it does this during turning the aircraft and also when just flying and looking straight ahead wth TIR disabled, although less than when I change view.

I've tried all sorts of things, disabling the internet and switching off windows defender, disabling all services I can in task manager. I even restored Windows 7 but it wsa still the same! Overclocked, not overclocked makes no difference either.

Then I went for a format of my SSD and reinatalled Win 10 afresh. I only installed WOFF and it's still the same. I have reduced the graphics settings to the very lowest settings in WOFF and while it is better, I still get very noticeable stutters and pauses during all stages of flight. I've reinstalled WOFF several times and on all 3 of my disks.

The only thing that makes this vaguely playable is setting vsync to adaptive half rate in NVidia control panel. This effectively limits my frames to 30. If I reduce settings enough then they don't dip below that and it's not too bad. But it's not smooth like when its locked to 60fps.

So it's now been about 5 days of just trying to sort out this problem and I've got nowhere! So in desperation, I'm turning to the forum to see if anyone can offer me any advice. Is there something in Windows 10 that I need to switch off or on? Anything I've missed that could be causing this?

Other games seemed unaffected - Rise of Flight and IL2 were the only ones I tried and they were fine. I don't have either installed at the moment since my reinstall of windows - only WOFF and TIR. I tried moving both of these processes to different affinities and priorities but to no avail.

If anyone could help I'd be very grateful!

Cheers
Stu.

#4500411 - 12/15/19 02:30 PM Re: Poor performance in Windows 10 - Please help! [Re: stufer]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord
Stu, you will likely want to go to one of the online guides on how to optimize Windows 10 for gaming and make the changes you can there to start. You will also want to uninstall WOFF completely and clean your registry for any leftover bits and pieces, but only AFTER you've backed up your pilots folder and mods folder and any other things you will want to keep from your current WOFF install. Wish there was an easier way, but I never found one when I made the change to W10 myself a couple of years ago. Best of luck.

Lou

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4500416 - 12/15/19 03:41 PM Re: Poor performance in Windows 10 - Please help! [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
stufer Offline
stufer  Offline

Nottingham, England
Hi Lou

Thanks again for your kind assistance. Right, I've found a couple of guides for optimising Win 10 so I'm going to follow one of those to the letter and see if I can get things to improve. I'll report back. Thanks a lot.

Stu.

#4500422 - 12/15/19 04:32 PM Re: Poor performance in Windows 10 - Please help! [Re: stufer]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

There's a load of tips in the FAQ. Given it ran very well on Windows 7, you could also try setting WOFF.exe and CFS3.exe to Windows 7 compatibility. AV may need to be updated or stop from scanning WOFF's folders in Windows 10.
Make sure you installed DX9 as per section 4 of the FAQ.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4500429 - 12/15/19 06:13 PM Re: Poor performance in Windows 10 - Please help! [Re: stufer]  
stufer Offline
stufer  Offline

Nottingham, England
Thanks Pol

Yes I followed the FAQs and several threads that dealt with similar problems. I've tried turning off AV and also excluding the WOFF folders from scans. I also ran the DX9 install from the toolbox.

I followed a guide to optimise Win 10 and this has not helped either.

Think I'll try disconnecting my controllers to see if they are affecting it...

Cheers
Stu

Last edited by stufer; 12/15/19 06:14 PM.
#4500633 - 12/17/19 09:55 AM Re: Poor performance in Windows 10 - Please help! [Re: stufer]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

The WIndows 10 optimizing guide mentioned turning game mode on too? Should close down some background tasks like windows update and notifications etc.
HarryH posted some findings that helped his setup to do with setting TracklR

Also for me I turn off any CPU throttling/power saving options in BIOS - always hated those, and NVidia GPU power management set to prefer maximum performance.

BUT given your sudden issues may be worth checking your fans are spinning at max speed cleanly, and the heatsinks etc on CPU/GPU and other motherboard components are dust free. Could be just co-incidence it happened when you switched to Windows 10. Not that I am defending Windows 10 wink

PCs have inherent issues with smoothness always have - although they are much better these days but yours sounds more serious.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4500729 - 12/17/19 07:14 PM Re: Poor performance in Windows 10 - Please help! [Re: stufer]  
stufer Offline
stufer  Offline

Nottingham, England
Hi Pol

Yes I've got mode on. But tried it off as well! And I've turned off all the BIOS power save stuff. I think you may be right with regard to it being something hardware related. I'll give the PC a thorough clean at the weekend and then start checking components. Perhaps something is failing and need of replacement! I know how well the game can run because I've had it running very smooth so I think it may just be a coincidence with it happening at the same time I put on Win 10. After all, it did give me that black screen error while I was still on Win 7 and that prompted me to upgrade.

Anyway, if I come up with a solution, I'll post here in case it may be of help to others.

Cheers
Stu

#4500792 - 12/18/19 10:37 AM Re: Poor performance in Windows 10 - Please help! [Re: stufer]  
stufer Offline
stufer  Offline

Nottingham, England
Well, last night I decided to try going back to Windows 7. Since I'd hardly got anything installed it seemed like a good time to try it. I installed afresh from my original Win 7 disk. Ran all the updates and put an AV software on. Installed Track IR and WOFF. Then I tried it... everything worked perfectly, not a stutter in sight. It's right back to where it was last week!

So my problems are either related to something in Win 10 or something that is installed along with Win 10, or perhaps it was due to upgrading over the top of my old Win 7 install. I'm not sure. But I've decided to keep Win 7 for now, at least over the Christmas break so I can continue to enjoy it properly. Then I might try to upgrade again in the new year and see how it goes.

But for now, I'm delighted to be flying properly again. Thanks Lou and Pol for your suggestions and helping me out. I appreciate it.

I may be back here in January when I try to upgrade again!

Cheers
Stu

#4500798 - 12/18/19 12:14 PM Re: Poor performance in Windows 10 - Please help! [Re: stufer]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Thanks for reporting back Su. It could be a device driver for Windows 10 causing it (or lack of the correct one possibly too). Windows 10 has had all sorts of problems since release to do with hardware and drivers (for example many HP printers not working at all for months, then they were, then they weren't again etc). Black screen on boot, then they fixed it, then they broke it again and so on. From what I have seen it seems too many teams working on Windows 10 (or not enough!), old code getting back in there somewhere, and not enough testing.

Regards,

Polovski,

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.