Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4500667 - 12/17/19 02:31 PM Re: Words that you can't pronounce no matter how hard you try ? [Re: bones]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by bones

I also found recently when talking to my son that I have a hard time pronouncing "shape sorter" lately.

v6,
boNes

So what exactly is a "shape sorter" used for? It seems like a rather vague term!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4500668 - 12/17/19 02:32 PM Re: Words that you can't pronounce no matter how hard you try ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Třistatřiatřicet stříbrných křepelek přeletělo přes třistatřiatřicet stříbrných střech.
(Three hundred and thirty three silver quails flew over three hundred and thirty three silver roofs.)

Czech tongue-twister. the ř is the fiddly part.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4500670 - 12/17/19 02:40 PM Re: Words that you can't pronounce no matter how hard you try ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Data: Some people , I know say ( date da ) others say ( dat ah ) which one is correct ?

#4500671 - 12/17/19 02:51 PM Re: Words that you can't pronounce no matter how hard you try ? [Re: carrick58]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Originally Posted by carrick58
Data: Some people , I know say ( date da ) others say ( dat ah ) which one is correct ?

As a Brit I would say date-ah.

I know Americans say dat-ah, but the character Data in Star Trek was always called date-ah for some reason smile (Maybe Picard named him...)

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4500672 - 12/17/19 02:56 PM Re: Words that you can't pronounce no matter how hard you try ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
That's interesting DM because I pronounce it as "date-ah" and I'm a Yank!

However, I don't quite understand why it's "aluminium" in the UK but "aluminum" in the US. That difference seems rather arbitrary to me.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 12/17/19 02:56 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4500674 - 12/17/19 03:20 PM Re: Words that you can't pronounce no matter how hard you try ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Actually, dat-ah is singular and date-ah is plural.

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4500675 - 12/17/19 03:21 PM Re: Words that you can't pronounce no matter how hard you try ? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

I also found recently when talking to my son that I have a hard time pronouncing "shape sorter" lately.

v6,
boNes

So what exactly is a "shape sorter" used for? It seems like a rather vague term!

It's that classic toy that is either a cube or a sphereoid with shapes cut into the surface where you insert blocks of the same shape into.

I should start saying "shape shifter" instead to introduce him to the weird world of scifi/fantasy!

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4500677 - 12/17/19 03:25 PM Re: Words that you can't pronounce no matter how hard you try ? [Re: bones]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

It's that classic toy that is either a cube or a sphereoid with shapes cut into the surface where you insert blocks of the same shape into.

v6,
boNes

Ah yes, I immediately visualized the toy as soon as you described it. I just had no idea it was called a shape sorter!

#4500680 - 12/17/19 03:32 PM Re: Words that you can't pronounce no matter how hard you try ? [Re: bones]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Um, no. Datum is the singular and data is the plural. As for pronunciation of the plural, data, I believe dictionaries say that either is/both are acceptable. Rather like toe-MAY-toe / toe-MAH-toe.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4500682 - 12/17/19 03:36 PM Re: Words that you can't pronounce no matter how hard you try ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Here a tongue twister my friend who can't pronounce sheet correctly will have trouble with:

How many sheets could a sheet slitter slit if a sheet slitter could slit sheets?

Or this one word from the classic Mary Poppins film.

Google says:

The Oxford English Dictionary defines the word as "a nonsense word, originally used esp. by children, and typically expressing excited approbation: fantastic, fabulous", while Dictionary.com says it is "used as a nonsense word by children to express approval or to represent the longest word in English."

According to WIKI, it was a word first recorded in Oxford dictionary in 1931:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

[Linked Image]
#4500685 - 12/17/19 03:48 PM Re: Words that you can't pronounce no matter how hard you try ? [Re: vonBaur]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Originally Posted by vonBaur

Um, no. Datum is the singular and data is the plural. As for pronunciation of the plural, data, I believe dictionaries say that either is/both are acceptable. Rather like toe-MAY-toe / toe-MAH-toe.

In Latin, yes, but in engineering in terms of information, dat-ah is singular and date-ah is plural.

Kind of like how really it should be viri when we talk about more than one virus, which is correct in Latin, but in English we still say viruses.

v6,
boNes

#4500692 - 12/17/19 04:30 PM Re: Words that you can't pronounce no matter how hard you try ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Here a tongue twister my friend who can't pronounce sheet correctly will have trouble with:

How many sheets could a sheet slitter slit if a sheet slitter could slit sheets?

Google says:

The Oxford English Dictionary defines the word as "a nonsense word, originally used esp. by children, and typically expressing excited approbation: fantastic, fabulous", while Dictionary.com says it is "used as a nonsense word by children to express approval or to represent the longest word in English."

That's atrocious, NoFlyBoy. Quite atrocious.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4500694 - 12/17/19 04:35 PM Re: Words that you can't pronounce no matter how hard you try ? [Re: DM]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Originally Posted by DM
Originally Posted by carrick58

As a Brit I would say date-ah.

I know Americans say dat-ah, but the character Data in Star Trek was always called date-ah for some reason smile (Maybe Picard named him...)

As a programmer in Texas, I am always interested in "Day-Duh"

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4500700 - 12/17/19 04:48 PM Re: Words that you can't pronounce no matter how hard you try ? [Re: vonBaur]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth

Google says:

I like this one better (you have to unmute it):

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3t2aqk

v6,
boNes

#4500728 - 12/17/19 07:00 PM Re: Words that you can't pronounce no matter how hard you try ? [Re: vonBaur]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Apparently kids in those days use to say that word a lot when they get excited about something.

Nowadays, they just curse with emojis.

[Linked Image]
#4500748 - 12/17/19 09:59 PM Re: Words that you can't pronounce no matter how hard you try ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
coasty Offline
coasty  Offline

Asheville, NC, USA
Leicester is a local community that gets some folks riled up, as to how it should be pronounced. Is it Lee-cester or Lester? The founder of the settlement named it in honor of an Englishman, the Earl of Leicester and pronounced it Lester, but many locals insist it is Lee-cester because they live there and will call it what they please.

Have you seen the Arrow? WWW
#4500763 - 12/18/19 01:03 AM Re: Words that you can't pronounce no matter how hard you try ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Or this place in Wales:

Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanfairpwllgwyngyll

Who the heck name this place?

Was he drunk at the time?

Listen to the correct Welsh pronunciation

#4500769 - 12/18/19 02:12 AM Re: Words that you can't pronounce no matter how hard you try ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Marc Offline
Marc  Offline

Corona, California
For some reason I have a hard time with that word when asked what medication I take, Irbesartan
Being french probably doesn't help

Marc

HP-Compaq-8100-Elite-SFF-Intel-Core-i5-660-3-33GHz-8GB-250GB-Windows7, GTX1050 -X45+Rudder Pedals, Playseat Challenge
#4500789 - 12/18/19 10:01 AM Re: Words that you can't pronounce no matter how hard you try ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Or this place in Wales:

Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanfairpwllgwyngyll

Who the heck name this place?

Was he drunk at the time?

Listen to the correct Welsh pronunciation

The place name was lengthened in Victorian times to attract tourism: "contrived in 1869 as an early publicity stunt to give the station the longest name of any railway station in Britain".

As a resident of Worcestershire, I can confirm that it is mostly pronounced as 'Woostershere'. Rural vernacular would be 'Wussershyre' though authentic local accents are being diluted now due to population movement. Nearby market town Evesham, pronounced by older indigenous as 'Aysum'.
I live in a village called Naunton Beauchamp pronounced 'Beecham'.

#4500850 - 12/18/19 08:25 PM Re: Words that you can't pronounce no matter how hard you try ? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Watching this makes me realize most of the English that I have been speaking all my life is mostly wrong.

Blame it on the schools and teachers that taught it to me and my Mum and Dad!

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.