Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4500524 - 12/16/19 03:06 PM New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out!  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4500525 - 12/16/19 03:07 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Yes I WILL be seeing this on opening weekend and I WILL convince my wife to go see it with me. Sure, I'll owe her like 5 chick flicks in return but it will be worth it. No pain no gain!!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4500529 - 12/16/19 03:15 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
OK, just watched it. Apparently Maverick is with a test squadron now, VX-31, and I guess that explains the bit with him in the pressure suit that we saw before. This is further supported by the stealth jet he is flying at the end.

The aerial footage is incredible, especially knowing that it is all real (well, maybe 90% of it is). The slice between the two Super Bugs and the canopy to canopy maneuvers I'm pretty sure were camera trickery but more for a throwback to that classic "Top Gun" moment from 1986 than anything else.

I see there is a flameout clip which makes me wonder if it will cause some flashback for Maverick--maybe he's got some kind of PTSD from the incident of 29 July 86--especially since someone dies as indicated by the funeral scene.

I do hope they concentrate on the NFWS as the title is "Top Gun: Maverick" after all. Then again since Maverick is in the title, I guess they have to focus on that too.

I'm still very curious from the first trailer and now this one what the deal is with the F-14 shot. All the leaked photos show an F-14 with a Phoenix-like symbol on it, which everyone always says oh it's the insginia for a foreign air force and this will be the issue in the movie, but I don't know because that symbol from what I can see is the symbol for the Secretary of Defence's Phoenix award for squadron excellence in maintenance.

I'm excited, it made my eyes misty.

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4500536 - 12/16/19 03:58 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I'll be there!
I bet that's his P-51 in there.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4500542 - 12/16/19 04:49 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
archermav Offline
archermav  Offline

Black Country, England.
I'm waaay to old and cynical to be quite this excited by a new film coming out, but my goodness me, I can't wait.

#4500543 - 12/16/19 04:54 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Just watched the trailer again. I really like the remixed Top Gun theme.

So who is the hot babe on the motorcycle with him? Maybe it’s the daughter of Kelly McGillis’s character from the first film? LOL!!!

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 12/16/19 04:57 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4500544 - 12/16/19 04:56 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Can a Navy Captain can afford a P-51D?

v6,
boNes

#4500546 - 12/16/19 05:02 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
@PM: I beleive it is Jennifer Connally

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4500547 - 12/16/19 05:09 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by bones
Can a Navy Captain can afford a P-51D?

v6,
boNes

Sure, if he has some really great investments on the side. smile

#4500548 - 12/16/19 05:33 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
So who is the hot babe on the motorcycle with him? Maybe it’s the daughter of Kelly McGillis’s character from the first film? LOL!!!

Dang. I wish I'd thought of that, PM.
hahaha hahaha hahaha

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4500580 - 12/16/19 08:17 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
I meant to mention her but I was going on and on about Gal Gadot in another post I didn't think I should start about Jennifer Connelly. But, since someone mentioned her. MM, yes, Jennifer Connelly.

Rumor has it she is the owner of the bar that we see in the trailer scenes (probably the same bar from "Top Gun") and is a single mother that becomes Maverick 's new love interest.

In lieu of Kelly McGillis, I think she's a great choice.

v6,
boNes

#4500581 - 12/16/19 08:18 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: vonBaur]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Originally Posted by vonBaur
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

Dang. I wish I'd thought of that, PM.
hahaha hahaha hahaha

That would be a little awkward...

But oh well

v6,
boNes

#4500589 - 12/16/19 11:08 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
LOL, I saw the trailer and came here to see if bones was going to say "Maverick in a SUPERHORNET???? HELL NO!!!!"

Don't know if I was pleasantly surprised or disappointed tomcat dizzy

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#4500590 - 12/16/19 11:14 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

I am surprised they didn't use the F-35 Lightning II B instead of F/A-18E/F Super Hornet.

#4500596 - 12/16/19 11:43 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
I am surprised they didn't use the F-35 Lightning II B instead of F/A-18E/F Super Hornet.

They may be saving that for the climax. There wasn't a viable alternative to the Tomcat in the original.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4500621 - 12/17/19 04:17 AM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
Chaz Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Chaz  Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls

Commentary from 2 former Hornet drivers:

Former U.S. Navy TOPGUN Instructor and F/A-18 pilot Vincent "Jell-O" Aiello provides an in-depth look at the various scenes of Paramount's latest Top Gun: Maverick trailer

C.W. Lemoine. Former Hornet and Viper driver. (Also flies DCS World!)

#4500634 - 12/17/19 10:19 AM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
RossUK Offline
RossUK  Offline

Eastbourne, UK
I am just going to put it out here that I think that Aurora shot (spy plane at end) is him spying on Iran and he gets shot down and steals a Tomcat! Well, that's what I would want to see!

Though I am not sure how they would do the aerial shots of a Tomcat as I think the only ones flyable are in Iran and I do not exactly see them lending them out to the USA!

In any case, the trailer has wetted my appetite even more than the last one. And Jennifer Connelly is divine.

And Vincent "Jell-O" Aiello's podcast is incredible, cannot recommend it enough, and his latest on the B-1B in brilliant. Podcast is called Fighter Pilot Podcast.

#4500644 - 12/17/19 12:26 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: Recluse]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Originally Posted by Recluse
LOL, I saw the trailer and came here to see if bones was going to say "Maverick in a SUPERHORNET???? HELL NO!!!!"

Don't know if I was pleasantly surprised or disappointed tomcat dizzy

Hey Recluse! Long time!

You didn't know if you were surprised or disappointed in my reaction? heh.

Well, yes, I kinda had that reaction. Figured Maverick missed the Tomcat but was also kinda shrugging inside saying, "Oh well!" Especially that part in the trailer when he walks up to the Super Bug and rubs its nose. I was thinking about when he did that in the final battle at the end of "Top Gun" to his Tomcat. This time he was thinking, "Well, she's no Tomcat...."

I love that they had an F-14 gate guard with his name and kills on it.

I love that Jennifer Connelly is in it...did I mention that already? I did? Oh, how silly of me. Oh, wait, I didn't? Well....did you know Jennifer Connelly is in it? Yeah. She is. Hee.

v6,
boNes

#4500647 - 12/17/19 12:32 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
The official take on "Top Gun: Maverick"

After more than thirty years of service as one of the Navy’s top aviators, Pete “Maverick” Mitchell (Tom Cruise) is where he belongs, pushing the envelope as a courageous test pilot and dodging the advancement in rank that would ground him. When he finds himself training a detachment of Top Gun graduates for a specialized mission the likes of which no living pilot has ever seen, Maverick encounters Lt. Bradley Bradshaw (Miles Teller), call sign: “Rooster,” the son of Maverick’s late friend and Radar Intercept Officer Lt. Nick Bradshaw, aka “Goose.”

Facing an uncertain future and confronting the ghosts of his past, Maverick is drawn into a confrontation with his own deepest fears, culminating in a mission that demands the ultimate sacrifice from those who will be chosen to fly it.

OK, now this is the kind of stuff that makes me hesitate a little bit. I think the thing that concerns me the most is that they are "training a detachment pilots for a specialized mission." Well, you don't train Top Gun pilots for a specialized mission. You train them for dogfighting and these days for strike. You train them to be perform better strike fighter missions in general, then to return to their squadrons and impart their knowledge on others. You don't send them to TOPGUN to train for a special mission coming up. They portrayed this in the first "Top Gun", at least a little bit (they were handed the mission after graduation, they didn't train specifically for that mission). Looks like they missed their mark on that one.

This is what I was talking about earlier when I said I hope they concentrate on the school like the first one did, and since it is in the title. I mean I would find it interesting enough if they showed how the school operates today, not being a purely dogfighting school anymore.

Hey, I thought I'd mention it since it's on my mind, but did you know Jennifer Connelly is in the movie?

v6,
boNes

#4500653 - 12/17/19 01:37 PM Re: New "Top Gun: Maverick" Trailer Out! [Re: bones]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Oh, hey, what's with the clear visors? They don't really serve much of a point in the daytime at all, except if you should happen to eject to somewhat shield your eyes from the slipstream. I think the tinted visors would have been more realistic. Now I know Hollywood doesn't want to pay big actors tons of cash just so their recognizable marketable faces will be covered up by a visor...but it's not like they will have it on in the whole movie. If you don't want their faces covered for that reason, OK, then, just dump the clear visors to begin with. Just have the tinted visors up...oh, wait that will cover their custom designed callsign graphic from Flight Suits, Ltd. <sigh> OK....

Of course the argument can be made that the visor is required per regulations...but then again, so are Nomex flight gloves. I'm looking at you, CAPT Mitchell! I think the only person to wear his flight gloves as required was Goose, and, well, he's dead....(spoiler alert, BTW).

v6,
boNes

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.