Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#4500052 - 12/12/19 02:03 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Or not. Well, if anyone wants to try the co-op let me know. It can be BL3 or BL2. It's best if each player is close to the same level, which complicates it all, but even that isn't a requirement. A lower level player would level-up fast, but none of the drops would be usable for a while. My business closes down for a month starting at Christmas so I will have plenty of free time if anyone wants to give it a go. I have a level 35 Amara to run through TVHM with, and a level 50 Gaige and level 45 Axton for BL2. And a low-level Maya, see below.

And Graveward did indeed drop a legendary. This was the hardest fight for me yet. I often read that some players consider him the easiest farm, but that fight wasn't easy for me. I died six times, but five of those were for falling off the platform. Doh. On the other hand, Pain and Terror (a play on Penn and Teller) was easy and quick, and some claim it to be very difficult. It all comes down to the build and gear I reckon.

I've set BL3 aside for a bit, with just the last two chapters to go. I want to wait for the DLC/patch that drops December 19. This is suppose to restore functionality to the Guardian Ranks (like Badass rank from BL2) which is currently broken. I want those bonuses for TVHM.

In the meantime I've started another BL2 run, this with Maya who I hadn't played before. Got her to level 10 last night, with a bit of farming. I'm rather anti-farm. I struggle to understand how players can play this game in the least enjoyable way (farming the same fight over and over) in order to get the best gear and in turn making the game as easy as possible. It doesn't make sense to me when taken to such extremes. A bit here and there isn't bad. But I did want a good gun for the early game. And one of the very best in BL2 is the Unkempt Harold (play on Dirty Harry). This gun is insane, and the farm isn't too hard. I spent a half hour or so getting it.

Here's how this gun works. It's awesome.

When I decided to reinstall BL2 I was very happy to see I had cloud-saved my characters. This is the first time I think I've actually benefited from cloud saves ever. And I saw that it had been exactly four years since I last played, Dec 7, 2015. And I somehow had 140 golden keys. Good grief, that's cool and I can spend those lavishly if I choose.

BL2 is a great game, and with all of the DLC there just so much to do, so much variety (environments and enemies especially). BL3, so new as it is, seems small by comparison, though this starts to change a week from today.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4500066 - 12/12/19 04:00 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Maybe the Guardian Rank is already fixed? patch dropping today

Patch Notes

Of course they choose to word it like this

"addresses reported issues with Guardian Rank "

Fixed or corrected nowhere to be seen. They'll be gabbing about it on the Gearbox boards so that'll show if it's working again. Since I haven't completed the first run I cannot check myself.

#4500074 - 12/12/19 04:55 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond
Or not. Well, if anyone wants to try the co-op let me know.

When I finish my current playthrough of B3 with my friend I would be more than happy for us to play a 3 player coop game. We're pretty close to the end of the game but it's difficult to tell how many more hours of game time it will take to finish it.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4500081 - 12/12/19 05:27 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
OK cool. Once I am done with the first run I'll hold off on TVHM, and then we can all start it together. I reckon I'll be around level 37 when the story finishes and can mayhem up a few levels if necessary so we are all around the same place, but of course I do not know where you'll finish. Some players finish at much lower levels. In BL3 I only have a leveled Amara specced as an elementalist with a thing for Maliwan SMGs. I'll be free starting around Christmas as mentioned so working it out shouldn't be a problem. Let me know what level you finish up.

Playing BL2 again now shows where BL3 made improvements. BL3 has better weapons, shooting and movement. You don't get hung up on the environment like in BL2. The vaulting is a nice addition to help scale verticals. Vehicles are better too. They drive better, more fun. BL3 has a long way to go to catch BL2 in most respects, so I'm curious to see how they fare with the DLC.

But they nearly ruined it with the annoited enemies. I really hate those that have an immune phase.

#4500152 - 12/13/19 04:16 AM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
but of course I do not know where you'll finish. .

I'm level 36 and I just recently came back to Pandora which looks like is the final phase of the main storyline.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4500195 - 12/13/19 02:29 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That should dovetail nicely. With the Guardian ranks apparently fixed I'll take it back down off the shelf and finish it up. We should both be within a level or two of one another at that point. Not sure how long the final two missions will be, or if I'll struggle against the last bosses. BL3 missions seem shorter on average than BL2. In BL2 last night I did both the Firehawk and Dam Fine Rescue missions, and those are quite long.

A few more of my random thoughts and observations, mostly compared to BL2. Eridium and storage deck upgrades are both reworked and better in my view. In BL2, eridium is used to upgrade your storage and backpack. In BL3 it can still be used to buy things from Crazy Earl, but it's mostly cosmetic stuff like skins. I don't care much about that. But you can also spend eridium in his vending machine, which gives annoited gear. This is nice and helps fill the gaps when RNGeesus is failing to shine down upon you. I've gotten most of the shields I have used from that vending machine. Although I now have a shield called the Red Suit and it's really cool, it gives constant radiation damage to any nearby enemies. Storage upgrades now cost cash, which I like. Money meant little in BL2 after the early game, but at least now there are some very expensive upgrades to spend it on.

The inventory system is mostly the same, but a little better. The biggest improvement is surely the bank. In BL2 you start with about five slots, and can increase it by two slots for increasing amounts of eridium. In BL3 though, you start with 50 slots and can grow it to 300 with cash. That's a huge change. If you just play through once it won't matter much. But if you want to be able to swap stuff between characters, or just to save your best guns and items after they've been outleveled it's great. There's no equivalent to Claptrap's secret storage, it's just a shared bank between your mains. At least I think that's how it works. I'd need to start a new character to see for myself. You can also decorate your room on Sanctuary, and store/display weapons and other things on the walls.

I said earlier that I like the vaulting, but I think mantling is a better word, right? Regardless, it's a nice addition, as my multiple attempts to scale some verticals in BL2 can attest.

One of the changes I like best in BL3 is the fact that you can customize and switch your action skill(s). You can swap out the skill on the fly to suit the situation. I've only dabbled with Zane and done a full playthrough (nearly) with Amara. With her, I have several actions skills to choose from, whether it be phasecast for a ranged attack, phasegrasp for CC or phaseslam for close range. I can swap shock for fire, and there's also an augment to further enhance the action skill, such as the Allure augment which acts like a singularity grenade from BL2. These must be unlocked through the skill trees, so there's some opportunity cost involved. You can respec anytime on Sanctuary to try out new combinations.

Slag is no longer a thing and the the New Game ++ will be better for it. That was a tedious mechanic.

I think just about every change has been for the better. It just needs to catch up content-wise. DLC like Captain Scarlett, Mr Torgue and Tiny Tina made BL2 a better game for me, not to mention the UVH upgrade packs for higher level caps and new mains. Gearbox has said they plan no new mains for BL3 but hopefully that changes. I'd buy a DLC that simply imported previous game's mains in to BL3.

#4500196 - 12/13/19 02:34 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Storage upgrades now cost cash, which I like. Money meant little in BL2 after the early game, but at least now there are some very expensive upgrades to spend it on.

Absolutely. I distinctly remember having between 2-3 million bucks after doing a complete playthrough of BL 2 and the DLC's with nothing really to spend it on since my character already had super potent level 50+ legendary weapons and gear. In BL 3 I'm lucky to have more than 200-300k at any one time.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 12/13/19 02:35 PM.

#4500219 - 12/13/19 04:46 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
When you and you friend play you have it set to cooperative, and not coopetition? If I understand this, it means that if we play together and open say a red chest, each player can loot it, and each will see a different set of items. I don't see your stuff and you don't see mine, but we can then trade. Is that how it works?

Same on boss drops?

Have you fought Troy yet? He's next for me. Speaking of Troy (and Tyreeen).... they've grown on me a bit. I don't see them as lousy villains unworthy of the franchise any more. Not Jack level for me, but not as bad as I first thought.

#4500225 - 12/13/19 05:11 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
When you and you friend play you have it set to cooperative, and not coopetition? If I understand this, it means that if we play together and open say a red chest, each player can loot it, and each will see a different set of items. I don't see your stuff and you don't see mine, but we can then trade. Is that how it works?

Same on boss drops?

Have you fought Troy yet? He's next for me. Speaking of Troy (and Tyreeen).... they've grown on me a bit. I don't see them as lousy villains unworthy of the franchise any more. Not Jack level for me, but not as bad as I first thought.

Yes, we always play on "cooperative" and that is exactly how the loot boxes/chests work. No, we haven't fought Troy yet but I suspect we will very soon.

Jack is the absolute best villain in the entire BL saga so he's a hard act to follow. Troy and Tyreen have been passable for me. Not horrible but also not memorable.

#4500227 - 12/13/19 05:30 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Cool, thanks for the confirmation. Which main does your friend roll with?

I'll fire it up tonight and see if I can defeat Troy and then it's just one chapter remaining I believe. My plan was to then apply the Guardian ranks, and then hang out for bit in Mayhem 1 to see what it's all about.

I had thought that enemies would scale to the highest level player in co-op, but I read a comment that said he saw enemies at his level, but his friend saw the same enemy at his different, lower level. So maybe I don't have to worry about continuing to level a bit if I play some Mayhem 1 after finishing the main story in NVHM? I thought it was best for all players to be close to the same level when playing together, but maybe it doesn't matter in BL3?

If I finish before we're ready to hook up I'll just keep playing BL2 for a while. I'm really enjoying the replay. Fun game.

#4500299 - 12/14/19 01:23 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Troy's no joke. I got him on the second try, once I could recognize his pattern and had a plan to counter it. But he's a tough fight, solo anyway. There are three chapters after that point I think, not just one like I said.

He dropped a sick legendary Maliwan sniper rifle called the Krakatoa. Turning in this mission took me to level 36.

#4500430 - 12/15/19 06:27 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I finished the NVHM run. Level 38, but very nearly 39 which tripped soon after. From around Jacobs Estate to the end I didn't do much in the way of side quests. I could see the levels creeping up and didn't want to go too high so there would be some room to go up in TVHM and so I stuck to the story missions near the end. Level cap is 50 currently.

The game really picked up near the end. The last third of the game was great, the environments at that stage were very cool and looked fantastic. The story isn't going to win awards I don't think, but it's not so bad, and it was good to defeat the twins. I found each of those boss battles difficult. My build is better for mobbing, and not so strong against bosses. Only three bosses did I think were fairly easy (Warden, Katagawa Jr and Pain and Terror). But again I think it's down to my build and gear just matching up well with those. For the rest, maybe not so much haha. Still, I was able to get by most in one go, a few took some retries.

I think only three bosses dropped a legendary, but near the end I got quite a few from a variety of sources. Those guns are fun, but the catch in this game is it won't be long before they're outlevelled. I guess that's why many players go to level 50 as quick as they can then just play the same things over and over. They've grinded out all of this awesome gear, and at level 50 it's forever useful (until a DLC that raises the level cap). I'm not in to the grinding and just use what I've found. Some weapons are so amazing that they are still useful long after you'd think, according to level.

Finishing the story unlocks the mayhem modes. These modes make enemies tougher and increase the good loot drops. I've messed around a bit in M1 and the loot is noticeably better already. I can play again in the new game plus, TVHM, or there are a number of gaunlet and arena type challenges too. These tend to be where the grinders grind. I'll check them out at least.

One disappointment is when the story is finished, the Guardian levels unlock. I expected that over the course of the first run, all of those challenge notifications were indicating that I was piling up the tokens. And when it was unlocked I'd have a lot to redeem. But I had just one. I guess you need to begin earning them only when after completing the game, not just spending them at that point. Aside from the stats boosts like in BL2 badass ranks, there are a number of perks that can be bought, and some are pretty OP. One that I definitely want gives you full health and shields when gaining a second wind. That's strong. And there are quite a few more, but they cost a lot of tokens so won't come easily.

As for my main, Amara the Siren, I think it's a good character with diverse and powerful skills. But as I said, the way I built her was good against mobs, but not so much against strong, single enemies. For the first run through NVHM, if you want to hit the capstone on any one tree, you're going to be investing in that almost exclusively. I was over level 30 before I capped the Fist of Elemental tree. So to branch out in to another you'll either have to compromise with uncapped trees, or wait until near the end of the first run. My build was focused on elemental damage, DoTs and spreading those status effects through ricochets and explosions. That's what makes it so good against mobs. If they are fairly close to each other, attacks daisy chain through the lot. Not sure honestly which tree to branch in to, but respecs are unlimited so some experimentation might be in order.

A few thoughts about some of the notable weapons I used...

Abundant Stark Krakatoa -- this is a legendary Maliwan sniper rifle. It looks unremarkable perhaps at first glance, and my roll had just a 2.7X scope. It also has incendiary effect, but curiously at 0% chance. That was odd, so I tried it. Killing an enemy causes that enemy to become am erupting volcano, spewing lava all over the area. Like a manifestation of the build itself. Cool gun

Firesale Long Musket -- A legendary Maliwan SMG that is a parody of Elon Musk's claim that his flamethrowers weren't actually flamethrowers. Absolutely melts anything nearby. The ideal gun for ratch mobs and the like. Combined with the skill Personal Space it means anything near will die quickly.

Backfire Red Suit -- A Pangolin legendary shield that gives constant radiation damage to nearby enemies. The backfire roll makes it also a spike shield. For a melee character this would be unbelievable, but even for mine it was still awesome. You'll never be surrounded for long with this thing on.

Razrez the Dictator -- a legendary Vladof assault rifle that fires three bullets at the cost of one, in a tight group that doesn't diverge. Aiming down the sights increases it to 7 rounds. Graveward was a boss I found hard with my build, but this weapon, and what it can do to critical spots, should make him a much more manageable proposition indeed. It's not elemental, which is the only drawback for my main. I'll keep it for a different character. It would be an awesome gun for Axton.

Expert Hellshock -- legendary Maliwan pistol with a very high elemental chance, fire rate and damage. It carried me though the teen levels.

Mostly though I used Maliwan SMGs, whatever was the best I could find. Kept a few on hand to swap around to whichever element the enemy was weak to. Radiation damage felt the strongest, but maybe that's because few enemies resist it? I also sniped a lot, but that's a given for me in Borderlands. I always use homing grenades too, although I guess they cannot be rolled with elemental effect. Never found one with it. I got a couple of very cool legendary rocket launchers, including one called Nuclear Jericho, which was much more like artillery than a rocket launcher. But I didn't use them much at all, and rocket launchers can be sold for good money so that's where they went most of the time.

Having played through it my take is that Borderlands 3 is a better game mechanically than Borderlands 2, but not better artistically. And by that I don't mean the literal artwork (BL3 looks much nicer), but how the story is written, the dialog, the gags, the weird, wild and whacky. Not poor by any means, but for me it had a lot to live up to.

#4500448 - 12/15/19 10:06 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Mayhem mode has proven to be loot city. Not sure what everyone complains about. Higher mayhem levels should give even better drops, and I'm just messing around in M1. I decided to test out my newest gear and mayhem mode by running through Athenas. The Chupacabra there is a good source for legendaries, and it has Maliwan troops which are fun to fight. In about 45 minutes I had like five more legendaries, and mayhem scales to your level or close to it. Common enemies drop all sorts of purples and blues and anoited gear too. And even found this in a fridge. Holy smokin' lightning. This was one of the holy grail grenades in BL2, and I have to wait a level to use it. But man, and out of a freakin' fridge. Not the first time that's happened, but talk about luck.

[Linked Image]

And actually I do know what they are complaining about. It's not awesome gear they want. It's a specific item, and with a specific roll and anoitment. Considering that drop rates for specifc gear are usually around 1%, it's no wonder they complain. But it's not the game's fault. I think it's the fact they are so obsessed with specific gear, rather than just roll with whatever awesome stuff they do get.

And I think I misunderstood how to get the guardian perks. I think as you redeem the tokens, once you've invested the required amount you can then choose the perk. The FFYL full shields and health perk cost 15 token it says. But I reckon once I've invested 15 tokens in Survival it will unlock.

Shift Code for a very special gift smile Merry Christmas WSW33-HSFJ9-CWRZF-6J3B3-JF6BF

Attached Files chainlightning.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 12/15/19 10:58 PM.

#4500506 - 12/16/19 01:41 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I From around Jacobs Estate to the end I didn't do much in the way of side quests. I .

Both me and my friend are extreme completionists so we do ALL of the side missions in the BL games so I guess we will be a higher level than 39 by the time we finish. I'm already half way through level 37.

#4500515 - 12/16/19 02:22 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, I think you'll be higher. I gained nearly four levels just doing the last two or three story missions. I'm 42 now. Part of my thinking was that doing some side missions in TVHM will net me higher level rewards, so I didn't mind putting them off until later., and anyway it gives me new stuff to do in TVHM. The Hammerlock Hunts and the Zero assassinations in particular. Zero's reward for doing them all I want at a high level.

I tried Slaughterhouse 3000 on M1 and thought I was doing great. Made it through three waves and I was like that wasn't so hard. Then I realized there were four more rounds and I died soon after. Torgue mocked me. I'll try it again with Mayhem disabled.

I started a TVHM run in the meantime. I want that FFYL perk that gives full health and shields on second wind. It's called Resilient. That sort of perk would be great for boss fights and all of the gauntlet/arena content.

#4500825 - 12/18/19 03:44 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
PM, are there any items you're looking for but haven't found? I'm getting quite a few, and some duplicated (3 Jerichos for example) and some I will probably never use like the Rough Rider shield. If there's anything specific you want let me know and I'll see if I can find one. I've done a bit of Gigamind farming. He's so easy, and easy to get to. Each run takes but a few minutes and I got a boatload of legendaries off him yesterday. The best for my main was a Thunderball Fists pistol. It just wrecks, and was one of my favorites in BL2. I'm level 47 now and all of this stuff will be of declining utility at 50. But I wanted to see what the drop rates were like with repeated runs, even though I had claimed I do not farm. But it's so easy smile I'll do it again at the level cap.

A few runs dropped no legendaries, most dropped one, and a few dropped two.

I got legendary shields, class mods and a bunch of grenades and weapons off of him, all in less than an hour. I'd like to find a Cutsman SMG, as I reckon it will be perfect for my main. But yet to see one. They say the rare spawn Borman Nates has a higher drop chance for that weapon, so maybe I will pay him a visit. But I will wait until 50 for any dedicated hunt. TVHM story missions pay huge amounts of XP and it won't take too long to hit it.

#4500908 - 12/19/19 11:51 AM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
PM, are there any items you're looking for but haven't found?

Nothing in particular but just simply keeping my eye out for any orange weapons with elemental properties. I have plenty of golden keys right now but I tend to be conservative and use them sparingly.

#4500921 - 12/19/19 01:46 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I have three keys. I haven't spent one since level 30, but I've seen no golden key shift codes in a long time. All echo skins, weapons trinkets and that legendary assault rifle Gearbox gave a few days back.

I'm playing through TVHM, and have made it to chapter 13 I think, the Lair of the Harpy mission. I started TVHM at level 42, and will hit 50 before the end of this mission, so the XP is plentiful. I've only done two side missions. Boss drops don't seem any better in TVHM, at least with Mayhem mode switched off. But killing them is easier with a more well-developed character and better weapons. The Rampager gave me fits in normal, but this time I took him out with little trouble. Captain Traunt though has the honor of being the only one to kill me in both modes so far, but hold my beer. There are many more of the annoying annoited enemies in TVHM. The Resilient guardian perk is just as amazing as I thought it would be, and this helps to make the hardest fights easier.

What I am bummed about is I just have one more skill point to spend. Leveling up is a big part of the appeal, and with just one level to go I'll be done.

How does the game compensate for multiplayer? Does it spawn more enemies? Tougher enemies? I imagine something has to be done to counter the additional firepower from the group.

#4500925 - 12/19/19 02:21 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

How does the game compensate for multiplayer? Does it spawn more enemies? Tougher enemies? I imagine something has to be done to counter the additional firepower from the group.

You know, that's a great question which I don't know the answer to right now! I'll have to use my Google skills. biggrin

I know there have been other games like Ghost Recon Breakpoint where the number and skill of enemies does NOT change based on number of human players but I really don't know about BL 3.

#4500930 - 12/19/19 03:43 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
All I can dig up is some anecdotal quotes that the types of enemies change, more badasses for example (and probably annoited which I despise). Not sure what's true, but the game isn't hard to get through solo, so without some mechanic to raise the difficulty, having three or four players could make it a little too easy I reckon. Or take turns dealing with each mob while the others sit back and assess your performance smile

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.