PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by vonBaur

Example:
Went to see the "Ocean's 11" reboot with my wife and my mother-in-law. My wife had never seen the original and thought the reboot was fun. My mother-in-law, on the other hand, considered it a cinematic blasphemy for the rest of her life. Though I don't believe overall it compares to the original, I thought that it stood up well as a 21st Century caper movie. Not well enough to watch any of the sequels. .

Heh, I fully admit that I had clue the "Ocean's 11" from 2001 was a reboot. I had never heard of the original with Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4499987 - 12/11/19 11:33 PM Re: Ghostbusters : Afterlife [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
I don't expect much from this new Ghostbusters.

Ghostbusters II in 1989 was not any good either, IMO.

It sure didn't catch the lightning in a bottle again like Ghostbusters did.

Pretty much this. The original was fresh and unique, the sequel played to the same gags too much.
I'll hold judgement on this new version, but it's got a high bar to meet.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4500004 - 12/12/19 03:03 AM Re: Ghostbusters : Afterlife [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
I don't expect much from this new Ghostbusters.

Ghostbusters II in 1989 was not any good either, IMO.

It sure didn't catch the lightning in a bottle again like Ghostbusters did.

That's because Ghostbusters II used a tired, generic, paint-by-numbers plot with character exploitation but limited to no serious character development. It fell into the same typical plot trap of many 80s comedy films that weren't so good.

I remember leaving the theater with my brother after the film unfulfilled. Even the bad guy was the stereotypical abusive boss with semi-gay undertones. It was like they were trying to touch all the bases on a checklist without remembering what made the first film so strong--and frankly, trying to out do the first film was next to impossible without it being the first in a contiguous trilogy which it was not.

Maybe if they had tried to reintroduce Gozer... maybe.

Hell, even the baby was a generic 80s plot element by that time and did the film no favors whatsoever in how the implemented the tyke. This was two years after "Three Men and a Baby" and several months before "Look Who's Talking." The baby only made the film drag and added even more to the "routine" feeling.

The first film was full of world building. The second was a world drain.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 12/12/19 03:10 AM.
#4500006 - 12/12/19 03:31 AM Re: Ghostbusters : Afterlife [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Heh, I fully admit that I had clue the "Ocean's 11" from 2001 was a reboot. I had never heard of the original with Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr.

It's worth watching if you get the chance. Dean's "Ain't That a Kick in the Head" plays a few time and I think Sammy has a number or two. I don't recall Frank singing in it. It's not great cinema (sorry. Scorsese), but it's a good Rat Pack film and it has one of the BEST surprise endings in the history of movies. Ranks right up there with the original "The Mechanic" and "The Usual Suspects".

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4575574 - 07/27/21 02:36 PM Re: Ghostbusters : Afterlife [Re: Khai]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Look, it's Mike from Stranger Things and he is in the gig economy of busting ghosts.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.