Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 117 of 366 1 2 115 116 117 118 119 365 366
#4499175 - 12/04/19 02:46 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Fullofit: My pilot is flying in the Back Waters of the War, Strictly second stringers. The Fokker's seem to fly in two's or three's D-II;s and Older E , Models. The occasional Albatross Scout totally outclasses the N-16 so is to be avoided and as I found out Rolands as well.

RAFLou: Ahh Mon amie, Practicing Fire Drills with Nadine has brought about a New " Esprit de Corps " to the men of the Squadron and no lack of Volunteers for pompiers. Of course. Safety is the Main Concern of a French Flying man and the obvious reason for Training new Chambermaids.

Last edited by carrick58; 12/04/19 02:54 PM.
#4499209 - 12/05/19 12:10 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Wulfe Offline
Wulfe  Offline

The Tale of Evan C. Easom,
Part 5: Gravity.

The clouds rolled in from the North, crowding the skies over France’s war-torn coast, as the five Sopwith machines were lined up on the flight-line. Easom’s fingers, quivering slightly in the November cold, clutched desperately onto a slow-burning cigarette, yellowing the tips of his white silk gloves. Today, the 29th, would be his first trip into enemy territory.
The powers-that-be had demanded that two of Mulock’s strutters be provided for a reconnaissance photoshoot at Nieuwpoort - and so it came to be that Easom and Ogden were selected for the role. Not believing in the Army’s practice of throwing Reconnaissance pilots blindly to the wolves, however, three pups of ‘A’ flight were joining the two Strutters. Ogden would fly the Camera ship, with Easom keeping an eye out for the omnipresent Albatros. After running through the details of the flight in his head one last time, Easom checked his watch - Quarter to Nine. Take-off time.

After wishing Easom and Vance good luck, Ogden climbed aboard his machine and called for a mechanician to swing his prop. Two pups answered in response, then Easom’s Strutter and Flight Commander Traver’s machine joined in the chorus. The lead Strutter’s engine grew feverish in its song, and in answer the machine lurched forwards, its tail lifting to match the horizon as it sped down the runway. Easom followed, the sudden cold blast jolting him now to full wakefulness, and a moment later the Pups chased them upwards. The five machines turned West.

Ahead of Easom was a strange cloud formation - like a funnel - towering dizzyingly into the highest reaches of the heavens for infinity. As he stared into the small blue spot at its centre, the clouds seemed to rotate, faster and faster, like a merry-go-round of weird, nonsensical shapes - the cloud tower stretched taller, and the colour began to drain from the land….

Easom blinked furiously, turning his gaze away from the clouds. With a deep, shaky breath, he banished the disconnect from his mind. This, he had discovered, was doable - provided that his ‘mood’ wasn’t too pronounced. At it’s least severe, it was like allowing an object to slip from your hand, only to catch it at the last second.

A pup cheerily bobbing along beside his port wings snapped him back into the now. How far had they flown? They were at Diksmuide already. Not far from the front. To his Port side a restless sea overlapped itself, white froth rippling over its agitated surface. To his Starboard, the sun peaked over a line of cloud. Easom’s mind relaxed itself.

The heavy clouds at 9,000 feet had already swallowed up the Pup flight, and now it forced the two Strutters out over the sea. As Ogden led the way through a gap among clouds, Easom tried to keep one eye on the coast, on the off-chance that his motor gave up. After ten minutes, the Strutters turned back inland, coming through the clouds and finding no-man’s-land. Ogden found the stretch of the German lines that they were to photograph - but before he could set about there work there was a green-brown flash as a German biplane cut in front of them, appearing almost as if from thin air. Easom, surprised by the sudden arrival of the Hun, didn’t initially see Ogden’s machine turn towards the German, but a moment later and he had joined in the hunt.

As they chased, Easom took in the detail of the German machine. It was a single-seater, but not an Albatros. Instead of the cigar-shaped fuselage of an Albatros, this machine had more of a rectangular box-fuselage - and its flat snub-nose betrayed a rotary engine. Easom didn't recognise the type. Out of the two chasing Strutters, Easom’s machine was the faster, and soon he was lining up his sights on the still-unaware Hun. Suddenly, there was a burst of gunfire from Vance’s machine gun. Instinctively, Easom jerked his thumb down onto the trigger, and the German looped away as tracers flashed past. Easom looked over his shoulder irritatedly at his gunlayer. “What the hell are you doing?!” he cried, but his voice was claimed by the wind.

Circling after the German, Easom watched Ogden’s Strutter make the next attack - but the Hun was a good flyer, and danced his way out of the tracers, looping up and settling in on Ogden’s tail. There were flashes of yellow from the muzzle of Ogden’s gunlayer as he now weaved left and right, on the defensive. Easom chased after, reversing his turns and trying to keep with the German, until Ogden threw his machine into a hard right-hand bank. Easom watched the muzzle flashes of the German machine as he pulled his nose up to catch, and then overtake, the German - and then he fired a long burst. Snapping out of the turn, Easom saw the German machine drop a wing, before falling into a dead-leaf spin, painting intricate spirals through the sky as it fell.

Easom circled above to watch, seeing the Hun shrinking to a speck as it neared the earth. Then, to his surprise, he saw a second machine falling alongside the German, as if imitating its descent...with a lurch, Easom realised that it was Ogden’s Strutter. In mute shock, he watched as both machines landed side-by-side, the clouds of debris intermingling and obscuring the wrecks from view. A gravity weighed down on Easom suddenly. This was war in the air. Feeling suddenly exhausted, he turned his machine for home.

Just a few moments later, a motion caught Easom’s eye over his right shoulder. Turning round, he realised it was the barrell of Vance’s Lewis Gun, coming to bear on some unseen target to their rear. Easom swung around to the left now, and there he spotted it - a second German scout, coming up from under their tail. Immediately he threw his strutter into a spiralling climb, as the German hungrily followed - but the Hun machine couldn’t match the manoeuvre, and he fell away. Immediately Easom was on him, firing into the side of the German as he turned sharply, before rolling onto his back and diving away. Easom tried to turn for home again - but the German had reappeared under the tail once more. Easom repeated the manoeuvre, and again the Hun tried to follow - but a second, more convincing burst from the machine gun quickly caused him to dive away, put off from the idea of a third attack. Easom watched the dull brown and green biplane as it dove down towards a nearby German airfield.

The flight back was long, and chillingly lonely. As he skirted the coast, he looked forwards at the empty space which Ogden’s Strutter had previously occupied. It was as if he’d simply imagined the other aeroplane all along.

Back at the aerodrome, the three Pup pilots were already crowded around the mess deck table, coffees in hand, excitedly discussing something among themselves. As Easom lethargically walked in, Travers enthusiastically called out to him. “There you are! Terribly sorry we didn’t stick with you, but we ran into a flight of Huns in the cloud! Almost collided with them head on, you know!”. Easom didn’t respond, slumping down into the nearest empty chair. Travers looked towards the door for a moment, then back to Easom. “Where’s Oggy, by the way? Engine trouble?”. Easom shook his head, slowly. “A hun got him”, he replied. The mess fell silent - a horrible, piercing silence that twisted Easom’s brain. Finally, Travers broke the awful silence. “Oh,” he mumbled. “That’s too bad”.

Stats, 29 November:

EVAN CLAUDE EASOM
No. 3 Squadron RNAS
Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter
St. Pol, Flanders
4 Missions, 3.5 Hours,
2 Victories, 3 Claims.

Last edited by Wulfe; 12/05/19 12:14 AM.
#4499217 - 12/05/19 01:08 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

A very enjoyable story and vid.

#4499218 - 12/05/19 01:18 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Nice video, Wulfe! Great to see the Strutter in action!

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4499221 - 12/05/19 02:02 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Rene Deassult Lavasure
Adjutant Esc N 68
Manancourt,en Vermois,
Verdun France,

4 e/a confirmed
4 e/a Un-confirmed
1 Trk confirmed

5 Dec 1918.

Another Un confirmed. Our patrol of 4 ran into ewo Bosche a/c slightly lower banked right and went down. A horrible Noise and flash of light behind. 2 wingmates a Mid air. I kept after my man chasing him into Hun land my Wingman chased the other towards the West. After using up fuel ( down to 62 % I got him with 40 rds. 1st a fuel leak then slowing and thin smoke I fired off 17 more rds from a replaced drum The e/a turned over and crash Verdick: No witness, Enemy side = Unconfirmed. Rejected. Score 2 for 2.

Attached Files CFS3 2019-12-04 17-30-55-65.jpgCFS3 2019-12-04 17-37-20-52.jpgCFS3 2019-12-04 17-37-33-55.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 12/05/19 04:35 AM.
#4499284 - 12/05/19 10:11 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Raine, Rolands are easy if the gunner is focused on someone else but you. winkngrin
So, Collins will need more stitches. It’s too bad he doesn’t even get to stay in the hospital. Carrick would certainly hook you up with some naughty nurses.
And that was some celebratory binge. Quite civilized. On the other hand, getting Hanseled would not be the best idea before that fight with the Roland. Get some rest and good luck next time. Make sure to stay below the fish.

Carrick, so Nadine had her first encounter with the brass pole. Should we assume she will make an art out of it? The men on the bottom floor think so.

Lou, that is an impressive amount of time Swany spent in the air. When can we expect him back over the Front?

Wulfe, great vid! You should do this more often and an excellent story to go with it. Now, flying over the water introduces new element of danger, but they’re sailors. They should feel comfortable over the wet stuff.
Poor Ogden. Looks like Porter will have to fetch a new bottle of whiskey for Evan. Was he credited with that Fokker?

5 December, 1916 08:50
Vert Galand, Flanders Sector
RNAS-8
SC Tobias Chester Mulberry DSC&Bar, DSO
40 confirmed kills

The Germans were determined to put Vert Galand out of action and the ‘B’ flight has been on scramble alert since the early morning hours. They were finally spotted making their way towards the aerodrome at 08:40 - much too late to prevent the attack. Two Rolands high above the airfield dropped their cargo and swooped down on the ascending British planes. They knew they were outnumbered but felt confident nonetheless. The lead Walfisch picked his target - a Nieuport up front and dove on it. The Englishman was ready for the attack and made an attempt to evade, spoiling the German pilot’s approach. His wingman in the other Roland was nowhere to be seen. The Hun decided to press his attack despite the overwhelming odds. He circled the Nieuport hoping his wingmates would collide, but that didn’t work either. He tried to dive under his target and then climb above it, but he couldn’t shake the Pups on his tail. He knew he was in trouble and pulled the nose up to gain some altitude and retreat. It was at this very moment the British ace had him in his sights for a split second. A quick burst of just 5 bullets. First round hit the German pilot in the chest, the second one in the head. The Hunnish bus instantly went down, spiraling out of control to crash near the aerodrome that they have just bombed.
Unfortunately the brass hats didn’t believe in magic bullets and the Roland claim was denied.

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4499298 - 12/06/19 01:06 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Maybe you just have him a heart attack! Great video!

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4499300 - 12/06/19 03:06 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Thanks Rick! I’d prefer to give a heart attack to those bean counter for denying this claim.

#4499347 - 12/06/19 04:56 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Fullofit: Unfortunately, Rene did not have time to assist in fire training. Instead . He was tasked with creating an Escape and Evasion Class. 1 st order of business was using Camouflage and Concealment for Evasion then Escape for flight members ,

https://giphy.com/gifs/benny-hill-Ky60J0SKu95MTPz3Wm/fullscreen

#4499383 - 12/07/19 12:13 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Rene Deassult Lavasure
Adjutant Esc N 68
Manancourt,en Vermois,
Verdun France,

4 e/a confirmed
4 e/a Un-confirmed
1 Trk confirmed

Dec 7, 1916.

On ne sait Jamais, Running into an enemy Recon Ship protected by 2 Scouts on a solo flight. I went for the Recon attacking head on at a right angle and swung on to Zee Bosche. I got off 30 + rds then the fighters were on me. They got off only a bust before I dove and went full power running like Zee Bunny Rabbit home but they got 3 hits in the fuselage On the good side, the 2 seat headed home and finally the scouts too.

Attached Files CFS3 2019-12-06 15-30-20-72.jpgCFS3 2019-12-06 15-41-54-68.jpgCFS3 2019-12-06 15-39-08-03.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 12/07/19 12:13 AM.
#4499458 - 12/07/19 08:36 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Good vids and reports Wulfe and Fullofit, and nice screenies Carrick, especially the last one...run!!! I'm getting caught up at at last, and now we have a break due to poor weather, in Flanders at least.

December 6th-7th 1916
Leutnant Lazlo Halasz,
Jasta 1, Proville, Flanders, France

Lazlo guided his DII toward the field at Proville. He'd ventured over the lines to Arras on a solo flight, looking for trouble. He had finally found some in the form of a very nimble Sopwith Strutter. The two had danced around over the lines for a while, Lazlo battling to get his machine to behave in tight turns, which it simply refused to do. Eventually he had been able to get onto the tail of the enemy machine as it appeared to be breaking off the encounter. He loosed several rounds and received a burst in return from the rear gunner. Enough was enough he had decided, and had turned for home. Now, down below, he could make out some unfamiliar shapes on the field. His heart leaped and anticipation flooded his veins with adrenalin. New machines were waiting, at last! However, his excitement was tempered somewhat as he turned his machine toward the hangars. He could see clearly that these were not the fabled Albatros type. In fact, he recognized the swordfish-like body as a Halberstadt. It was the latest type, the DIII. Nevertheless, it was a major disappointment to him and the rest of the Jasta. There were grumbles and moans that evening in the mess, with some of the men muttering uncomplimentary remarks about the new "golden boys" over at Lagnicourt.

"I even hear that Richthofen fellow is in line to get the first Albatros DIII off the factory floor! I mean, what about giving us a chance at them? I suppose we'll end up getting their hand me downs at some point." A number of pilots joined in to agree with Gloeckel, who was Lazlo's Rottenflieger. Lazlo looked at him sternly.

"You should not be criticizing our great heroes, even if things does seems unfairly". Lazlo had a serious look on his face. "I too am being disappointed, but at least we have new machines. We just have to be patient. We will have the chances soon enough".

Later that evening, Gustav Leffers approached Lazlo. The two met sat and drank a toast to the Kaiser, before Leffers went on to compliment Lazlo on his leadership qualities, which were growing by the day.

"You are a pilot with a wealth of experience now, Lazlo, and you are setting the correct example for the younger fliers. It will be a long war, I fear, so we need men like you to help teach respect and patience to the others". Lazlo nodded,

"I will do my best to help them".

That night, Lazlo had difficulty sleeping. He tossed and turned, eventually dozing off just as the dawn broke. Thankfully there would be no flying that day, due to poor weather, so he was able to lie in. Secretly Lazlo was hoping for snow. He'd never seen it before in his whole life. Today would be a chance to inspect his new machine and discuss its merits with the mechanics.

Last edited by HarryH; 12/07/19 08:37 PM.

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4499463 - 12/07/19 09:12 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Rene Deassult Lavasure
Adjutant Esc N 68
Manancourt,en Vermois,
Verdun France,

4 e/a confirmed
4 e/a Un-confirmed
1 Trk confirmed

Dec 8, 1916.

Freezing Rain and at time Heavy Rain ground all of Zee flights, However before the weather closed in , we heard that a fellow Escadrille had a go with zee Bosche in a large Flying Machine.

https://giphy.com/gifs/flyboys-wwi-aircraft-fAnOpUJrKbTNKFMfPb/fullscreen

Last edited by carrick58; 12/07/19 09:29 PM.
#4499469 - 12/07/19 09:49 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

HarryH, Ruining is what Rene does best in an N-16 that and Avoid,

#4499525 - 12/08/19 03:00 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Harry, I don’t believe it! There is already talk of Albatros D.III and Toby hasn’t seen a single D.II, not even D.I, not even from a distance.
Anyways, looking forward to the Halb D.II and D.III comparison. Toby would like to know how to tell them apart to correctly identify them in his claims.

Carrick, Rene is NOT running away. He simply hurries back to base to continue his training with Nadine. I’m sure she enjoys being drilled. N’est pas?

The Naval Eight has been grounded for two days now. High winds and flurries prevent any air operations. Toby is running low on brandy. If this goes on any longer he will have to switch to ... gasp! ... to la gnôle.

#4499554 - 12/08/19 07:31 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Rene Deassult Lavasure
Adjutant Esc N 68
Manancourt,en Vermois,
Verdun France,

4 e/a confirmed
4 e/a Un-confirmed
1 Trk confirmed

Dec 9,1916.

More Rain, I am On the ground supervising work parties in Zee hangers. There is talk that the advanced Hun Scout ( Albatross D-1} will have been upgraded 2 times before we get the ( being surpassed ) N-17 scout. The populist think that this is Defeatist Talk. A lass, we flyers know its true.

#4499555 - 12/08/19 07:43 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Fullofit: Wee , Mon amie Rene is practicing Redeployment to his Home base to await in the Thick cloud cover, if by chance they find him, to attack. This method or awaiting on the ground next to the dugouts will nullify the enemy's numerical superiority. In later years, this may be known as Advancing in a Different Direction.

Last edited by carrick58; 12/08/19 07:51 PM.
#4499560 - 12/08/19 08:43 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Fullofit]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Originally Posted by Fullofit
Harry, I don’t believe it! There is already talk of Albatros D.III and Toby hasn’t seen a single D.II, not even D.I, not even from a distance.
Anyways, looking forward to the Halb D.II and D.III comparison. Toby would like to know how to tell them apart to correctly identify them in his claims.

Carrick, Rene is NOT running away. He simply hurries back to base to continue his training with Nadine. I’m sure she enjoys being drilled. N’est pas?

The Naval Eight has been grounded for two days now. High winds and flurries prevent any air operations. Toby is running low on brandy. If this goes on any longer he will have to switch to ... gasp! ... to la gnôle.

Quick, fetch more brandy!

Yes, ridiculously unfair allocation policy for new machines. How to tell a Halb DII from a DIII? Bloody difficult from what I can see. Both as slow as old carts, both have the swordfish tail, both pretty much useless in a fight. However, if Jasta 1 has them then I think you can safely say that any Halb you meet from now on is a DIII. We always get the last of anything it seems wink

Last edited by HarryH; 12/08/19 08:44 PM.

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4499568 - 12/08/19 09:39 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Rene Lavasure

Evening in the Escadrille Mess all pilots are required to attend a lecture from our assigned Grief Consular / Language instructor by Order of the Commandant. This was due to the Mid Air collision a few days back. 2 kill at one time a heavy loss.

Attached Files badteacher-07.jpg
#4499785 - 12/10/19 04:52 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Rene Deassult Lavasure
Adjutant Esc N 68
Manancourt,en Vermois,
Verdun France,

4 e/a confirmed
4 e/a Un-confirmed
1 Trk confirmed

10 Dec 1916.

Solo Patrol Local Area. No Contact.

Attached Files CFS3 2019-12-09 20-41-09-59.jpg
#4499882 - 12/10/19 10:14 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Carrick, looks like Rene will fly and fight rain or shine. That's one pilot we can count on.

Harry, looks like the difference is the engine and with that, the exhaust. The Argus on D.III spews the exhaust up and over the wing from it's short, horn-like exhaust pipe. The D.II's exhaust is to the side along the fuselage, like the Albs. If one's behind these crates it becomes easier to tell them apart just by looking at the exhaust fumes. Especially that they like to mix them up in the same Kette.

10 December, 1916 08:00
Vert Galand, Flanders Sector
RNAS-8
SC Tobias Chester Mulberry DSC&Bar, DSO
40 confirmed kills

It was cold, really cold. Toby’s Bebe trundled down the frozen turf of the airfield, rocking and bouncing him from side to side, as if the wheels were square-shaped. He thought all this shaking will rip the wings of his poor sesquiplane. Finally he was airborne and climbing. He settled in and looked around for the rest of the flight when all of a sudden a Hun fell out of the sky right in front of him. He was diving straight for him. Bang! A sickening sound of two airplanes colliding exploded above Mulberry. He looked to the side to see more Huns coming down, but these ones came down in pieces. They were so focused on surprising the enemy flight they neglected to look out for each other. In an instant the sky was full of planes, friend and foe. Toby checked if there weren’t any on his tail. All Huns seemed to be busy chasing the Pups and he was left alone for the moment. Toby noticed two more of them in the distance and gave chase, but after a while he realized it was just the ‘A’ flight proceeding with the mission as if nothing out of the ordinary was happening. Toby cursed for wasting time on them and turned around. He dove back into the fray assessing the situation. There were two of them. Two Halberstadts were mixing it up with his flight over the aerodrome. It was a dangerous situation. He could collide with his flight mates or with the Huns at any moment and there were a few close calls but in the end one of the Halberstadts went down after Mulberry’s attack. The Boche managed to land but his machine overturned. The tail of the German crate stood up erect in the air, before keeling over and pinning the pilot underneath. Toby immediately turned his attention to the last of the enemy machines. Two more Pups were after him and they had the Hun on the ropes. He wasn’t getting away. Toby dove straight at him and fired his Lewis. As he flew by, the German crashed into the trees below. That was all of them. Toby gave the signal to return to base. The ‘A’ flight would have to fend for themselves over the Athies railyard junction.

YouTube Link

Page 117 of 366 1 2 115 116 117 118 119 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social