Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 23 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 22 23
#4498203 - 11/24/19 08:01 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC *** [Re: WangoTango]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
@DBond: I had a run in with that panther a few days ago. Heard a man screaming and the beast was right on top of him. I hit it once but it ran off. The guy was in a bad shape, asked for a whiskey and then died.

I find that story-wise and for role playing purposes, it makes more sense to NOT pay off bounties all the time. Having a bounty on your head makes the game more interesting and adds some suspense when crossing the county line. I think I'll just donate all my dollars to the camp fund and live off the land for a while.

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4498298 - 11/25/19 01:46 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I do the same, but just for a few days. Eventually I pay them off. It's fun to have the threat of running in to lawmen or bounty hunters as you move from state to state, but after a few days I'll pay it off so that I'm not accosted while out hunting or fishing or something. Biggest bounty I've racked up is $300, and that was a story mission. Lots of smaller bounties though. With a fast horse you can get away. Speaking of horses.... I said that the black Arabian was a small upgrade over the brindle thoroughbred, and while it's a little faster, it does accelerate much better. But I had neglected to factor in bonding. Fully-bonded the Arabian is a big upgrade, especially in stamina and health, each of which are nearly full at level 4. You can sprint full speed across the map without depleting the stamina core. Of course I have tack that reduces stamina drain which is part of the equation.

I really like that idea of going off-grid Johan, I think folks that can think this way will get the most out of a game like this.

When I played GTA I used to think how it would be cool if the buildings under construction eventually got finished. A neat touch. Well, in RDR 2 that's just what happens. Over time you'll notice the building further and further along.

In another GTA comparison, I'm a little disappointed in our gang, and the missions we do. In GTA, we may have been a dysfunctional band of thieves, but when the job came, it was professional. The heists were fun, and if you performed well, the job came off and the haul was big. In RDR 2 though I feel like it's far too many setups and bad jobs, things always going wrong, lots of killin' and little in the way of reward.

So much so that I've come to regard Dutch as a bad leader who I don't want to follow as his schemes rarely come off. I'm in chapter 4 and going about my business. Every time I return to camp now he is up on the second floor balcony, saying "come up here Arthur!" I turn and say 'I ain't a comin' Dutch, you'll just lead us astray" or something like that smile We had a good bank robbery and a fun mission to rob a river boat that paid OK. But most of the gang jobs turn fiasco. I don't expect it all to go smoothly, but I also don't want to feel like I'm in with a bunch of bumbling amateur idiots. Bad luck or unforseen circumstances is one thing. Bad planning and poor judgement is another.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4498994 - 12/02/19 04:27 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Steam release is scheduled for Thursday I think. There have been at least two patches dropped since the last post, and RDR 2 runs really nicely for me now. I'm in chapter 6 and just about done the story. Then there's the whole epilogue, actually two epilogues I believe. I won't spoil it, but there is a huge shift in err, focus, at the end of the game. Once the story is done, you can free-roam at will and finally become the rancher you always wanted to be smile

#4499021 - 12/02/19 07:40 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Thanks for heads-up DBond - I think I will go for a Steam release since I seriously dislike launchers and accounts but I already have steam so, yeah.
Don't need an Epic setup too that's for sure.
Only thing is I'm knee deep into selling my apartment moving down southern Swedenland so I lack in spare-time hours at the moment but it will fit well as a christmas gift to myself smile

#4499022 - 12/02/19 07:42 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: theOden]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by theOden
southern Swedenland

Ah I see so "Sweden" is no longer the official name of the country? biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4499024 - 12/02/19 07:47 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, and Finland's Noisy Neighbor hasn't stuck.

Good call Oden, and you'll have two hours to send it back if you don't like it. But how someone could tell that, in a game like this, in such a short time is a mystery. At least it's recourse if it won't run.

#4499045 - 12/03/19 12:20 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Hotshot

brasil
i seen pics of people dual pistoling;revolvering.....is that an upgrade , a selection...because one thing i hated in san andreas was that progress forced you into dual pistols

#4499053 - 12/03/19 02:56 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Getting to equip two pistols is a story mission related ability you acquire.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4499107 - 12/03/19 08:12 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted by Blade_RJ
i seen pics of people dual pistoling;revolvering.....is that an upgrade , a selection...because one thing i hated in san andreas was that progress forced you into dual pistols

You get a second holster. You can draw either gun or both guns. Some people keep the pistol and sawed off shotgun in the holsters. Online you earn the second holster at like level 25.

#4499111 - 12/03/19 08:46 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
I could not get past the launcher at all at the time of release, but a week later (after the first patches) that was resolved. Have been playing it intensively for the past two weeks and have not experienced a single crash, even with other stuff running in the background.

A few days ago I managed to get robbed by a bunch of streetkids (I did not want to shoot them) so I lost all my money. And it's the best thing that has happened smile I now have to scrounge for every dollar and think before I spend it, which feels much more in line with the story.
I found out by accident, but fishing with dynamite works a charm!

Last edited by Johan217; 12/03/19 08:47 PM.

#4499114 - 12/03/19 09:29 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Found out by accident, haha.

Yes, dual-wielding is unlocked by a story mission that gives the player an off-hand holster and it can be seen in some of my screens. Personally I don't like it. I like dual wielding fine, but not the look of the off-hand holster. I would much rather just have two normal hip holsters. Doesn't affect gameplay, just how it looks, which in this game is pretty important smile

I began dual wielding a pair of the revolvers you get from the gunslinger mission, then midway through I switched to a pair of double-action revolvers, one being the GTA V tie-in one. I thought I would like to trade damage for reload time and fire rate. But after a bit I decided they were not strong enough. Later in the game I used a pair of Schofield revolvers. By this point I had settled on all of my weapons and began customizing them all. You can change wood grain and varnish color, gun metal color (the Schofields were nickel plated), engraving, rifling, gunsights and more.

I really liked how guns were implemented in this game. The shooting is good. Once I had all of the weapons I rolled with

Bolt-action rifle. Small magazine, but hits hard and fires and reloads fast.

Rolling Block (rare) for big game hunting, and varmint rifle for small game

Semi-auto shotgun. Fully upgraded it is strong enough, and the larger magazine and fire rate made it my go to shotgun for most of the game.

Dual Schofield revolvers

For blades I didn't have a favorite. I liked the machete, but it doesn't quite look right hanging on the belt. One of my favorite weapons ended up being the tomahawk, It gets clean, quiet kills when sometimes the throwing knives didn't.

#4499146 - 12/04/19 03:24 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Interestingly enough I think what ended up being my overall favorite pistol in the game is the Cattleman revolver which is what you start off with. Just looks and feels and sounds right and I like the more manually aspect of it especially with the nuanced controls of being able to cock but then back out of firing it if you want, cocking, firing and/or fanning the pistol.

Later in the game when firefights got more involved and as you earned more money I liked using two double-action revolvers for a barrage of quicker shots.

I mainly used the main knife too because I also didn't like the look of the machete hanging from your belt. The throwing knives were fun and I loved how the character animation looks when handling them. I never though about dynamite for fishing. Sometimes I would forget that I had access to certain items. I used dynamite for the first time during that Blackwater rescue mission and right as I threw it I realized my horse was nearby only after I had thrown it and promptly killed my horse.

I've used the bow to shoot fish.

#4499168 - 12/04/19 01:33 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
My horse(s) led a charmed life. I never used any of the horse tonics, nor had one die. The worst was full-speed collisions with another rider, and I got up expecting the worst, as it's a hell of a bang. But the horse got up too and ran off a bit, obviously put out by my questionable horsemanship. A few pats on the neck and the horse said all was forgiven.

The NPCs never seemed to try to shoot it out from under me which is nice. I returned the gesture and never targeted a horse.

Actually I did use the tonic, but on enemy horses that had fallen but not yet given up the ghost. His rider may lay dead, but I revived any horses I could.

I haven't used any err, non-traditional fishing techniques. I am an avid fisherman, and I did a fair bit in the game. But I liked the hunting more for whatever reason. Partly I guess because it has more tangible rewards than fishing. I rarely returned to camp without some game strapped to the horse.

Unless things have changed, Steam release tomorrow. Will be interesting to see if it all goes off without a hitch.

#4499251 - 12/05/19 02:43 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
I use the Cattleman too, upgraded with a longer barrel and rifling (and a brass cilinder for looks). I find it better at longer ranges than my double action revolver. One feature I wish for is to be able to bury the dead. There have been occasions when I felt that I should not just leave a character's dead body behind.
I only had 1 horse shot from under me (poor Spot...) and another just disappeared: an abused animal that you find in one of the later missions. I wanted to nurse it back to health but one day it was gone. I still keep Trigger (my first horse, Thoroughbred), Trapper (Hungarian) and Trotter (Halfbred), all mares of course smile

I'm well into Chapter 6 so I guess the story is nearing the end, but considering that I have been playing this intensively for over 3 weeks now, I certainly feel I am getting my money's worth out of the game. And I will definitely play it again because it seems that there is still a lot to explore.

#4499252 - 12/05/19 03:22 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, I've gotten well over a hundred hours out of it so far. And even then I've not done so much. I found one dino bone and no rock carvings, but then again I wasn't looking. Still, I'd reckon I'd stumbled across a few just by happenstance. Didn't complete a single card set. Only caught three legendary fish, and shot maybe half of the legendary animals. I had fun trying to fill out the compendium, but I've only managed half. I think some things will only be found in the epilogue, but half seems low. So yeah, there's plenty of reason to give it another go. I'd get more gold missions anyway now that I've seen what's expected.

I've kinda put RDR 2 aside for the moment and am playing Borderlands. I was going great guns in RDR 2 but the, how do I say it without spoiling it, the 'change' that Arthur goes through near the end, sort of dampened my enthusiasm. That and so many hours played in such a short time meant a break was inevitable. I've tried to avoid spoilers as much as I could, but I still know a bit about the epilogue, and I am looking forward to that. I also didn't care for chapter 5 all that much.

I spent the first four chapters really into it, getting involved in much of the optional content. After chapter 5 I was more like, let's get the story done. Then there's endless free-roam if I want it. Of course the perspective will be different, if you might know what I mean. Trying to avoid spoiling it.

Steam release is in an hour I think.

#4499263 - 12/05/19 04:35 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
3instein Offline
3instein  Offline

Falkirk,Scotland
I didn't like chapter 5 either for some reason, what I did like was at the end, or maybe the beginning of chapter 6. When riding back to camp, which you weren't in control of, the song that was playing as you were riding along was really good I thought, well done.

Round about that time there was a mission that resulted in a hanging. I thought it was thought provoking that the guy getting hanged was all cocky thinking he was going to be rescued, then when he realised he wasn't....the look on his face just before the trapdoor opened, wow, made me really think, again well done.

Great game all in, playing it now and again taking my time to get through it, but it's easily the best made game I think I've ever played, the attention to detail far surpasses any other, IMO.

Mick. smile

"An appeaser is someone who feeds the crocodile hoping he will be eaten last"

Winston Churchill

#4499266 - 12/05/19 05:22 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
I only lost one horse so far. I was driving a train and the horse was following along. But it seems that it couldn't bear to be replaced and in a fit of depression dove under the trains wheels. Instant death, no chance to revive.
I picked up my saddle, placed it on the train and drove to a station close to a stable. Then manually carried it to the nearest stable . It was quite a hike and I tried begging for a ride from passing carts, some of their comments nearly made me just shoot them and steal a #%&*$# ride.

I finally moved on to Chapter 3, mostly to unlock some more equipment to get some of the different challenges completed.

#4499271 - 12/05/19 07:30 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
I happen to like the "change" that happens to the character. I think story-wise it is a good move and I found one scene particularly moving (involving a train station and a nun) - Arthur's acting and facial expression are especially well done there. So in the 6th chapter I find myself drawn to the open - the plains around Valentine and the mountains - just like Arthur himself, I imagine.

#4499303 - 12/06/19 04:11 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

The redemptive aspect to these game's stories is one of my favorite things about them. I agree, the facial animation, full motion acting, voice acting is really great. Its amazing how far games have come. I'm remember thinking it was awesome seeing moving meshes on faces in games like Half-Life and Operation Flashpoint.

Speaking of hangings, I never felt that they looked very good. The game has great character physics and animations that feel hefty but watching a hanging felt underwhelming. There's not even a sharp drop or impactful sound. It always looked like to me that they just dropped with an instant stop which is not indicative of the game's otherwise great physics. I would have thought they would have animated some struggling and at least for the ones who don't struggle and its quick, a better sound effect to hammer home the impact and meaning of the moment.

I spent a lot of time in the epilogues and even post. I roleplayed in my own mind how I went about things and they did a great job setting up for the time period of the start of the second game. If you choose to spend a lot of time with it, you'll discover tons of unique dialogue snippets with the characters depending on time of day and amount of time spent at "base camp".(I'll just call it that to avoid spoilers) I finished playing the game about six months ago and started back in October 2018 but I already miss playing it. I'll have to wait awhile for another play through.

I don't know if anyone can help me with this mystery or not but here it goes: Dutch Van DerLinde really, really reminds me of someone. Especially when we get in close up. Not the voice but the face and mannerisms. There's just something about him that seems extremely familiar as though I've seen someone who looks like him before somewhere and I don't mean the original game. It really bugs me too lol because he seems so familiar. I can't figure it out. I wonder if maybe they loosely modeled him off some other well known character or actor.

#4499332 - 12/06/19 02:27 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: Coot]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Coot
I don't know if anyone can help me with this mystery or not but here it goes: Dutch Van DerLinde really, really reminds me of someone. Especially when we get in close up. Not the voice but the face and mannerisms.

Shane from The Walking Dead.

Speaking of hangings, redux.....

In Valentine you'll come across a young lady who, shall we say, has a habit of finding her paying paramour in less than alive condition. You can choose to help her erase the situation, or not. I chose to help. It's a hit to honor, but I always like to help the young ladies, however responsible they may be for their own predicament.

Later in the game I was passing through Valentine and came across a public hanging, of the young lady of ill repute. I pulled out my rifle with the intention of shooting her rope, but i was too close to the crowd, so that when I held down right mouse to bring up the scope, I instead got the interface to talk to the citizens. So I didn't get the shot off and the young lady paid the ultimate price for her sinnin'

Since then I wonder if I could have done it, and what would have happened if it had worked. So if anyone else just getting in to the game comes across the same and wants to see if she can be freed, please let me know the outcome.

Page 9 of 23 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 22 23

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.