Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4498958 - 12/02/19 12:15 PM For the Empire!  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I'm currently grinding missions so I can go up the rank ladder for the Empire since my ultimate goal is to get an Imperial Cutter. Has anyone here flown one yet? I love the look of the cutter and I know it packs a big punch.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4499014 - 12/02/19 06:40 PM Re: For the Empire! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I don't have the rank. Never really bothered with it much. To be fair, I did for a short while, as I reckoned the Cutter was my ticket to Shinrarta. Then core mining became a thing and I no longer need a big boat I could fill with trinkets for the trade rank.

Cool ship though, and if you're going for one of the big ships that seems like a good choice.

For me though, it's no longer needed and I actually eliminated a large part of my fleet-in-standing and no plans to add another unless it's a new one, like the Krait. I didn't want a Krait II either, then I bought it, and now I think it's Elite's best ship. So ya never know.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4499038 - 12/02/19 09:24 PM Re: For the Empire! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
PM, I'd suggest buying and flying a Anaconda to get a feel for large ships. You don't need rank to do this. The Cutter is very regal as benefits the Imperial ideology. What do you want to do with it? Once you've outfitted a Cutter it will be expensive at A rated. With all those utility slots it could be a shield beast. Weapons meh. 1 huge, 2 large and 4 mediums. Cargo wise it can haul a lot though. I am admittedly a medium ship guy as DBond will attest to. I've got the rank and money for Corvette, but still haven't pulled the trigger. I know I'd use it for combat, but even engineered it handles like a pig compared to my Krait II's. Yes, I have 4 of those each fitted for specific endeavors.

Currently I have pledged to Hudson for the Pacifier Frag. Then maybe go for the Prismatic Shields. If I go for the shields I'll work on rank at the same time. Just haven't decided.

I think the quickest way to grind the rank is doing Rescue Missions from a damaged station. Equip a Python with economy cabins and heat sinks and stack the missions. Deliver to the Rescue Ship generally very close (10Ls) and repeat. As I understand the mechanic the attributes bank , so after an hour or so you should have several ranks in the Bank.

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
EVGA 760 4gb DDR5 2768 KR
CoolerMaster 922 Mesh 3x200mm, 2x140mm fans
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
WD Caviar BLK 500gb SATA 6gb
WD Caviar BLK 1TB SATA 6gb
Intel 730 Series 480GB SATA 6gb
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
Sennheiser 360 Headphones
#4499072 - 12/03/19 11:34 AM Re: For the Empire! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Thanks for that post WingNuts. I've actually had a fully engineered Anaconda (approx. 3,550 shields/5,600 armor) for a while now and I absolutely love it. I'm just looking for another big ship and I really like the aesthetics of the Imperial Cutter. smile

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 12/03/19 11:35 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4499157 - 12/04/19 10:42 AM Re: For the Empire! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Ngalinn-Mainani data runs are a pretty good way to grind Empire rank. I ranked up Empire not too long ago and that's how I did it. At the time, the station rescue missions had dried up and this was a pretty good substitute. Do it in a medium sized ship though, neither system has a large pad available.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4499161 - 12/04/19 11:39 AM Re: For the Empire! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Thanks for those tips Johnny!

#4499179 - 12/04/19 03:03 PM Re: For the Empire! [Re: WingNuts01]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by WingNuts01
I am admittedly a medium ship guy as DBond will attest to.

Attestified.

The man has more Kraits than some folks have ships. They probably cost less than a Cutter too!

I second the rescue mission suggestion for superpower rank. You can rinse and repeat so fast with these

#4499202 - 12/04/19 09:42 PM Re: For the Empire! [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted by DBond

I second the rescue mission suggestion for superpower rank. You can rinse and repeat so fast with these

I agree, but are there any out there to be had now? They dried up a while back and I haven't seen any lately.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4499243 - 12/05/19 01:31 PM Re: For the Empire! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Ah good point JC. I have been on shore duty for some time and am not in tune with the current conditions. If there are no burning stations then this method becomes less effective smile

#4499245 - 12/05/19 01:50 PM Re: For the Empire! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Yeah, I have not found any damaged stations since I started playing ED early this year. I've mostly been doing the pirate assassination, courier and boom delivery missions in order to rank up.

#4499293 - 12/05/19 11:28 PM Re: For the Empire! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Ngalinn-Mainani is your answer then. There's a bunch of Empire aligned factions in Ngalinn, so you get tons of rep in that direction. Mainani isn't bad, but not as plentiful as Ngalinn.

-Robert Heinlein
#4499375 - 12/06/19 10:58 PM Re: For the Empire! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
I got my Federation rank for the Corvette at a Thargoid damaged station. Many missions to take survivors out, and even some to gather personal effects from inside the stations.

Indeed, a bit of a grindy kinda thing running them over and over (which I typically never enjoy) but for whatever reason, I had a blast doing this in Elite. Part of it may have been the "atmosphere" they've got inside the Thargoid damaged stations. All the fire and smoke, red flashing lights, ship overheating, and a sense of urgency... so different from much else in Elite.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4499416 - 12/07/19 01:28 PM Re: For the Empire! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Yeah, the thing I liked was the quick turnaround time on them. The rescue ship was about 30 seconds away from the ship, and landing in the damaged station could be quite a piloting challenge, esp if a random piece of debris or and explosion knocks you around when you're in there.

-Robert Heinlein
#4499434 - 12/07/19 04:52 PM Re: For the Empire! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I've used several ships for this, but my Orca was best, or at least best engineered. It can't hold as many desperate souls as some of my other ships (Python, Conda), but I had designed it to run cool. It cruises at under 15% heat and seemed quite well suited for these missions. It can be a bit panic-inducing at first, especially if you get bounced around by explosions and debris. But if you keep a cool head it's all quite manageable and like JC said the destination is very close so the turn around is quick. If you're going to grind missions for superpower rank it's gotta be the fastest way, or at least very close.

Be sure to pick one aligned with the superpower you are looking to level. Some stations have no shown alignment, and some will have a mix of available missions, some Imperial, some Fed.

Of course it requires a burning station, and if there are none we have Adlabs to thank I reckon biggrin

#4499488 - 12/08/19 12:42 AM Re: For the Empire! [Re: DBond]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Originally Posted by DBond
Of course it requires a burning station, and if there are none we have Adlabs to thank I reckon biggrin

Hahah! Well my station repair efforts were way back before the recent "Thargoid War" that hit the bubble. I've been away for a while, but currently it looks like the Thargoids have retreated from the bubble and are back around Pleiades, their old stomping grounds.

So this means that there are likely very few remaining damaged stations, if any at all.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4500181 - 12/13/19 12:04 PM Re: For the Empire! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Ok so scratch everything I said about the Empire. I decided to take advantage of this current special event on ED (double mission reward points for Fed rank progression and discounts on Fed ships) and I grinded my way to Rear Admiral rank and bought myself a Fed Corvette. I'm already mostly done with engineering the top of the line modules I got for it. smile

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 12/13/19 12:06 PM.

#4500182 - 12/13/19 12:19 PM Re: For the Empire! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Grats, the Vette is awesome! We had a wing of 3 plus a Cond last nite at the CG. Almost felt bad for the baddies.

#4500246 - 12/13/19 08:15 PM Re: For the Empire! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
PM, great job on ranking up for the Vette. Congratulations!

Shock I know, but I have a Vette now also. Bought it last weekend. I had several engineered core moduled I saved from my brief ownership of an Annie. They can surely dish out the hurt and can be a real shield beast. I've still got three or four SB's to finish engineering but I'm running at 5.7k shields and BO has his at over 8k. Several times I lost a ring of shield but that was all. I may not even finish engineering the SB's. Running thermal vent experimentals dropped my heat to 1 or 2% last night. It will SC at 32% which is ok. My initial impression on handling is similar to my Python which truly impressed me. There is a lot more pip management though compared to my battle Krait. A cool thing is hovering up materials while still in combat. Drop out limpets, lower the scoop and blast away. Come out and play with us at the CG!

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
EVGA 760 4gb DDR5 2768 KR
CoolerMaster 922 Mesh 3x200mm, 2x140mm fans
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
WD Caviar BLK 500gb SATA 6gb
WD Caviar BLK 1TB SATA 6gb
Intel 730 Series 480GB SATA 6gb
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
Sennheiser 360 Headphones
#4500261 - 12/14/19 12:52 AM Re: For the Empire! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Wow, a Corvette club! biggrin

Congrats Panzer (and all other owners).

Mine is such fun. If you go fight Thargoids, beware that all that massive tanking shield and armor can melt in a flash. I near lost mine in combat with a Cyclops, escaping with only 20% health or so remaining after a SINGLE pass of taking fire... And it was filled with G5 Engineered HRP modules! Bad piloting played a large part, but yea... wow.

Last edited by adlabs6; 12/14/19 12:53 AM.

#4500386 - 12/15/19 03:30 AM Re: For the Empire! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I've not fought any Thargoids yet. Maybe one day....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.