Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#4498978 - 12/02/19 03:16 PM Borderlands 3  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
My way-too-early review of Borderlands 3.

I am a big fan of Borderlands 2. It was my first foray in to the franchise. I had read for several years about the game, but don't really think I knew what to expect. It is often described as Diablo with guns. Having never played Diablo, that didn't help me much. But what I read about it sounded fun, so I tried it. And loved it. It clicked on every level -- the characters, the gameplay, the humor, the gunplay and the guns. I bought nearly all of the DLC, and ended up getting over 500 hours out of it, making it one of my most played games of the past decade.

I tried all of the mains, and liked Gaige, Axton and Zero. The first two I played all the way through to Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode, which is like a new game plus, and then plus again, each time retaining all of your skills and weapons, but playing through the campaign with higher and higher difficulty, insanely so at times. The weapons are fantastic and fun, and I couldn't begin to describe all the weird and wild variations.

The characters in BL2 also stand out, and some are among my all-time favorites. Clap Trap, Tiny Tina and Mr Torgue were awesome and I still quote them regularly. And Handsome Jack is one of the best evil overlords ever in my view. The game was well written and for me at least, funny as hell. It's just a fun game.

So Borderlands 3 then has a lot to live up to.

I completely missed the announcement for this game, so when it was released it took me by surprise. That was September, so I gave it the customary couple of months to get the kinks worked out and bought it when it went on sale.

I started as Zane, the operative. His thing is gadgets, and he uses a drone, a clone and a shield as his Action Skills. I played him to level 8, but it didn't click. I thought I'd play him sort of like Axton, but he felt sort of underpowered, and the Action Skills were underwhelming for me. The drone was cool, like Axton's turret in a way, but his style didn't resonate with me. After getting killed twice by the game's second boss, I decided to roll a new main, and chose the Siren, Amara. Honestly, none of the four mains for BL3 light my fire, which is unfortunate. The other two are FL4K, the beastmaster, and Moze, a mech-gunner. But I won't really know if I like them until I try them.

I wanted to use Amara like I used the mechromancer Gaige. A build to focus on Kill Skills and gun damage, but here with an emphasis on elementals. And so far it's going great. She's level 13 now, and can definitely hold her own, feeling appropriately powerful. It seems to me that Amara is in a good place, but the others less so. It will be interesting what Gearbox do with the others. I expect a lot of tweaking from the devs, and who knows what mains will be released as DLC?

And while I see the mains as uninspiring, the guns are not. BL3 takes the concept from BL2 and expands on it, with even more crazy creations and combinations. Most guns now have a secondary mode. For example Maliwan guns might let you switch between shock and fire damage. Or your assault rifle might have a grenade launcher or a tazer attached. A sniper rifle with a missile launcher or shotgun attached. The sheer variety is mind-boggling, even beyond the last game. For me, the weapons are even better, although as a Maliwan devotee I'm not sure I like the fact these weapons now have a charge-up time which takes some getting used to. But elementals are part of my build, so I soldier on. I'm using Jakobs weapons a lot more in BL3 too. Tediore weapons got a big re-work. Instead of just being thrown like a grenade when reloading like BL2, your gun might now home on an enemy. It might sprout legs and chase the bad guy, shooting the whole time. It's a hoot.

The weapons and combat were a big strength of BL2 and I'd say it's even better now. At it's core, this is what it's all about. That, and the loot.

One let down for me is the fact that Handsome Jack is replaced by a pair of live-streaming twins, the Calypsos, who simply pale in comparison. Handsome Jack is one of my favorite all-time characters in a video game. He was awesome. The twins are well, annoying. I suppose that also counts as motivation for defeating them and their evil ways. For me though they are a disappointment. Claptrap is back, and there's something about the way his dialog was recorded that doesn't sit right. It's like the timbre (is that the word I am looking for?) is off and it's slightly annoying. Can't quite put my finger on it. Overall, for me so far, the writing, humor and characters are not up to BL2's level, but then again, a sequel needs to surpass to feel equal in a sense. You need to move forward just to appear you're standing still. Not exactly fair, but it's the way it is. The last words of your victims though is still a riot, with endless variety. One guy last night said as he was dying "My chili recipe dies with me!" I approve of this smile

I still have a long way to go, but I'd sum up BL3 like this.... If you loved BL2, you will love BL3. In many ways it is essentially more of the same. Frankly, that's all I wanted, since I thought BL2 was so good. For me, the characters, both mains and NPCs, are weaker, but that's offset by even better weapons and combat. And really, that's why I came, for all the wonderful weapons and amazingly satisfying combat action. If you did not like BL2, there's nothing here that will change your mind.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4498979 - 12/02/19 03:24 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Good review DBond.

The simplest way I can put it for me is that the gameplay, weapons and loot mechanics in BL 3 are improved over BL 1 and 2 but the story and new characters are not as interesting. I only play the BL games in cooperative mode so that may skew my opinions on the game a bit.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 12/02/19 03:36 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4498982 - 12/02/19 03:30 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
If you can get the Telltale Games "Tales from the Borderlands" interactive story, I HIGHLY recommend it. It was really well done, very entertaining, and lots of LOL moments.

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4498984 - 12/02/19 03:36 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Who's your main Panzer? How far in are you?

So we agree then. I've dabbled in co-op, and frankly Borderlands co-op is among the best there is. More games need to follow Gearbox's lead here. Bill Grant and I almost hooked up for some in BL2, but we never quite got around to it. Looking at the skill trees though I noticed it seemed like there were a lot less party support type skills than BL2 had. Less emphasis on it anyway.

It's fun solo, fun co-op.

You know what I miss? Spending badass tokens. I wish they hadn't reworked it so it requires story completion.

#4498985 - 12/02/19 03:38 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I played Tales Bill, and while I thought it was well done, those sorts of point and click adventures aren't really my thing. Expertly written though.

#4498987 - 12/02/19 03:42 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond
Who's your main Panzer? How far in are you?

I've been playing as Zane and I think I'm on Chapter 16 so I'm pretty far into the main story. I've liked the Zane character so far.

I think my problem with playing solo in the Borderlands games is that I simply find it to be such a dull experience compared to playing in coop mode. Just like some other games like the Serious Sam series and Ghost Recon Wildlands and Breakpoint, the Borderlands games are really designed to be played cooperatively.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4498991 - 12/02/19 04:04 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Cool, thanks. I might give Zane another go at some point. Maybe once his trees are filled out more I'd take more of a shine to him. Do you have a favorite weapons manufacturer in BL3?

It's true that Borderlands is a great MP game, but that shouldn't put off any solo players. There is a ton of fun to be had in single player, and you get to keep all of the loot yourself! biggrin

#4499001 - 12/02/19 04:59 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Do you have a favorite weapons manufacturer in BL3?

I know for certain that I prefer the elemental weapons over the non-elemental ones (Jakobs I believe?) but I don't have a favorite manufacturer among those which offer elemental weapons.

#4499005 - 12/02/19 05:43 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I asked because certain builds can be tailored to take advantage of the characteristics of certain manufacturers. Just curious which route you may have gone.

My Amara build is designed to spread DoT statuses over a large area. It's insanely strong against mobs. I need elemental weapons for it to work well, so lots of Maliwan and spin-up times. Jakobs work well too because so many of their weapons have the ricochet-on-critical modifier. The build is heavy in to the orange tree, a little in blue for the rush stacks, and none so far in green.

Shoot one guy and the four near him all burst in to flames too. Lots of fun. This build is a bit weak against bosses though.

I like the Dahl weapons too, but these are non-elemental, but sometimes you just gotta go with what you've looted if it's stronger. Hyperion, CoV get sold straight away. Vladof and Torgue are evaluated for their charms and kept or sold as desired. Tediore I use for the laughs. Maliwan though are the best suited. A boss (Giga Mind) just dropped a legendary fire pistol and it just melts with these skills.

Not only weapons got a substantial rework for BL3. The shields, explosives and class mods are pretty good too. I returned to Sanctuary last night before shutting down, and decided to spend a golden key hoping to find a really good shield. First roll and I got a legendary shield that doubled the capacity as well as adding a number of other sweet bonuses. I try to keep the golden key spending to a minimum, maybe one every 4 or 5 levels, but it's awesome when it really hits with what you need.

#4499007 - 12/02/19 05:46 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I try to keep the golden key spending to a minimum, maybe one every 4 or 5 levels, but it's awesome when it really hits with what you need.

Yeah, I try to discipline myself to not get carried away and use too many keys in a short span of time. I've also learned to check out the Gearbox Twitter page every #%&*$# evening for new golden keys!

#4499018 - 12/02/19 07:11 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I've got a bit of a stockpile. That's another perk of waiting after release. Many keys expire, but some do not, so I was able to pretty easily get 15 or so before playing. I've just spent two or three so far.

Has anyone done the Bloody Harvest thing? I talked to Maurice, which I guess opted me in. I got the ecto from just playing. But not sure I want to go in to the Heck Hole. The event expires in 3 days. Is it worth it? Would you recommend it? At level 13 any loot I get will only be useful for a short time.

I'm tired of the dam/n ghosts already and I've just been playing a few days. So at least those will only last a little while longer. They do drop some good loot sometimes though.

#4499019 - 12/02/19 07:13 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Has anyone done the Bloody Harvest thing? .

I've played it twice with my usual gaming friend and it's basically just fighting large groups of enemies through a Halloween-themed map (at night of course) and then at the end you fight a big boss who gives you a decent amount of loot when you defeat it. I'd say it's worth playing at least one time.

#4499080 - 12/03/19 02:16 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks PM, Maybe I'll give it a go. I can't imagine putting up with these ghosts for the past month. After just a few days they've become annoying for me, so looking forward to the end of the event. If the frequency were cut by 90% it would be OK. They're like floating loot boxes yes, but there's plenty of loot everywhere so I won't miss 'em.

I said earlier that who knows which new mains would be released as DLC, but I read an article that said there are no plans for new mains. KInda surprising really, but maybe those DLC didn't do well? I bought 'em.

Has anyone played The Pre-Sequel. This is actually the most recent title, after BL2, but I bought BL2 instead and never got around to TPS. I wonder how it stacks up? Reviews are positive.

#4499082 - 12/03/19 02:24 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Has anyone played The Pre-Sequel. This is actually the most recent title, after BL2, but I bought BL2 instead and never got around to TPS. I wonder how it stacks up? Reviews are positive.

I really enjoyed the Pre-Sequel and since it was made by the Australia division of Gearbox there are some characters in the game with the stereotypical "bush" Aussie accent. biggrin

There are a couple of planets you visit that have zero G so that was something new to the typical BL gameplay.

#4499171 - 12/04/19 02:32 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks, I think I will get it. Now that I am in to BL3 I've been reading the gearbox boards and I see folks make mention of playing Jack as their main, and I'm like when was Jack a main? Did I miss a BL2 DLC? But no, it was TPS.

FWIW, I went to Heck Hole and had no trouble up until Capt Haunt, who smoked me so fast it made my head spin. Some of the boss fights in this game are outrageous.

A few more observations about BL3 now that I've played long enough to hit level 20. I'm digging the game, but one thing that's struck me is that BL3 is not nearly so weird, wild and whacky as BL2 was, and is worse for it in my opinion. It's not as funny either. These things were a huge part of what I liked about BL2, but here it seems they went with a more cautious approach. Or maybe they just didn't pull it off as well.

As fun as I think the game is, quests are mostly fetch, which most folks have grown tired of over the years. I just see it as a reason to go there and shoot things. But the quests are a simplistic and old school. I wasn't expecting different honestly, but I think it could have been better.

Two new elements have been added, radiation, and cryo. My main's build is centered on elemental damage, so virtually all of my attacks are designed to spread these statuses. Irradiated enemies damage those close to them, and cryo attacks slow, and when frozen the target can be shattered by melee.

I'm glad I switched to Amara from Zane. The most fun character I've played in Borderlands was Gaige from the BL2 DLC. I liked the run and gun style, the ricochet-centric combat. My Amara build plays similarly. Her action skills are cool and effective, and the way I've built her makes battling mobs lots of fun. With the right skills, her elemental attacks can spread to nearby enemies, and can add additional effects. For example, an attack with a shock weapon may apply that, plus fire, and a third random status may proc, like corrosive for example. So one attack could apply three different statuses to multiple enemies, making fighting mobs a lot of fun. It never gets old seeing your targets burst in to flames.

The build isn't great for bosses though. Some have been very difficult for me, but it's Borderlands after all. One however, I absolutely smoked it. That was Kawagawa Jr. Everything went perfectly, I never came close to dying. When his lootsplosion rained I ran up to see what fantastic new gear I got and found nothing better than green! I was so disappointed. Not a blue, not a purple and no legendary of course. The RNG loot gods should have rewarded me for such a flawless performance on this fight, but instead mocked me with crap loot. Not even a stinkin' rare. Why have you forsaken me, loot gods? smile

#4499172 - 12/04/19 02:38 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
TSome of the boss fights in this game are outrageous.

I can't remember their names but there were a couple of bosses from the first two Borderlands games that were incredibly tough and could not be beaten unless you had a full party of 4 human players. These were bosses that that were not part of the main story but were side missions.

#4499177 - 12/04/19 02:50 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Do you recall specifically which ones from BL2? I soloed that game many times over, but curious if I failed to beat the ones you're referring to.

Probably Terramorphous, and yeah, I didn't do that one.

I just googled it and yeah, you're right, there were a bunch I didn't do

Verminous
Vordicaus
Dexiduos

Others, like Pyro Pete, are hard, but I was able to beat him.

Last edited by DBond; 12/04/19 03:01 PM.

#4499180 - 12/04/19 03:10 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Do you recall specifically which ones from BL2? I soloed that game many times over, but curious if I failed to beat the ones you're referring to.

Probably Terramorphous, and yeah, I didn't do that one.

I just googled it and yeah, you're right, there were a bunch I didn't do

Verminous
Vordicaus
Dexiduos

Others, like Pyro Pete, are hard, but I was able to beat him.

That's the one! Terramorphous. The first Borderlands game had a boss named "Crawmerax" which was virtually unbeatable unless you had 4 players.

#4499181 - 12/04/19 03:38 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
The first Borderlands game had a boss named "Crawmerax" which was virtually unbeatable unless you had 4 players.

I didn't play BL1, but I met his son in BL2 smile

That was part of the Hammerlock DLC if I recall.

The dragons in Tiny Tina's DLC were really hard too if I remember. The lootsplosion though was epic smile

All of the raid bosses were really hard.

Recalling BL2 makes me want to play it again. There are a number of references throughout the new game to the older ones. I saw a conversation with a NPC and Claptrap. The girl said something like 'Oh my goodness, the real claptrap? I feel like I'm in the presence of a hero! You defeated Flynt. Jack. The stairs!' hehe

#4499437 - 12/07/19 05:17 PM Re: Borderlands 3 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'm really having a blast with this game. The guns are great, the skills are cool and the combat can be intense. I've hit level 27, a little more than halfway through the first run. I continue to be disappointed in boss drops. I don't recall BL2 being so stingy. Most of the bosses have dropped nothing above green, and one had a single blue. Only one has dropped a Legendary, that was Gigamind. He dropped a level 12 pistol called the Expert Hellshock. It was so good I used it up to level 20. It's fire rate, damage and elemental chance were all really high for the level. Good gun.

Two bosses died at the same time I did, the second being Billy. When I died I hadn't realize he had too. With my blood up having seemingly come so close to killing him, I rearmed and ran back in to give him the good news to find him a frozen purple statue (that yielded crap loot). That death cost me $18k. If I had just switched guns at the end instead of waiting for the SMG to reload I wouldn't have fallen. But these fights are so intense that I sort of saturate and I miss stuff. I have to focus on whatever I am focusing on and miss things. It's mayhem. And some of these bosses are no joke. Except the Warden. He's one of the harder ones apparently, but I killed him in less than two minutes. He is supposed to go through five levels of transformation, from normal to god, but he never got past the first. Some builds will just be perfectly suited to a particular situation I reckon. The Rampager though, good grief, that aged me a couple of years. I was down to 10hp at one point, but eventually prevailed. I was seriously pumped up after that fight.

Maybe Graveward will drop me some good stuff.

I suppose in TVHM or Mayhem I'll start to see better drops? It's cool, there's plenty of amazing gear, but a legendary and epic or two from a tough boss fight isn't too much to expect is it?

Some folks at the Gearbox forums talks bout how they play this game, with posts like "I farmed so and so for 12 hours and it never dropped the gun I wanted". And I think to myself how can someone do the same exact fight for 12 hours straight? If I ever get like that just shoot me smile

I am wondering if anyone might wanna hook up and run through the story on TVHM with me when I get there?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.