Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#4497662 - 11/19/19 01:31 PM Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor [Re: AceMedic88]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Originally Posted by AceMedic88
I'm interested in seeing which monitors take a price drop over the next couple of weeks. At least one of them should go down a little bit.

Oh, I'd bet money that one or more will come down yet. I get daily ads from the likes of NewEgg, and of course lately they've started with "No lower price this year", saying they'll refund the difference if you buy now and the price goes down over the holidays.

But what I found most interesting about that was the thick red banner in the ad, toward the bottom, saying the items below this banner aren't covered by the refund policy...and you can just imagine what was below that banner. The newest GPU models, among other stuff.

So, I take that to mean that the price of those items will come down more, during the holidays.

#4497847 - 11/21/19 03:38 PM Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor [Re: AceMedic88]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

By the way, the issues with going to higher resolutions notwithstanding...

If anyone is considering changing monitors and winds up looking at upgrading your GPU because of higher resolution etc, please do keep in mind, I am always on the lookout for exceptional bargains on 'gently used' GPUs wink

Although I typically cannot match the full going rate, I can offer something reasonable, with immediate, cash (PayPal) payment, and none of the hassles (bogus returns etc) you could have with an auction site and unknown buyers.

#4498304 - 11/25/19 02:43 PM Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor [Re: AceMedic88]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

My new monitor arrived this weekend. Got it all set up and installed the latest drivers and CP. Fired up WOFF and ran it using the default "Gamer 1" profile for the monitor and wow, wow, wow, wow - wow wow wow! It takes my most favorite sim to yet another new level.

#4498339 - 11/25/19 09:14 PM Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor [Re: AceMedic88]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Great news. They really are very nice monitors. So I take it the 970s are OK with the extra 33% +/- pixels, then? Got any figures on frame rate difference (if there is any...)? Also, I can't recall...were you using GSync before? How's that working out?

#4498607 - 11/28/19 02:36 PM Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor [Re: AceMedic88]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

kk, my two SLI 970s seem happy as can be with the new monitor and all the extra pixels. I am getting a solid 60 to 70 fps in all the types of flying conditions I've tested so far. Things are as smooth as they ever were, if not in fact even a tad smoother. I've a hunch the GSync may well be responsible for that, (and no, I'd never used it before). All in all, my money was very well spent.

#4498617 - 11/28/19 03:32 PM Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert

My new monitor arrived this weekend. Got it all set up and installed the latest drivers and CP. Fired up WOFF and ran it using the default "Gamer 1" profile for the monitor and wow, wow, wow, wow - wow wow wow! It takes my most favorite sim to yet another new level.

This was my experience as well, and a kind of funny post when you think about it. We always say "I'll get a new processor!" or " I'll get a new video card! " but hardly anyone thinks about getting a new monitor and can easily be surprised by the jumps in technology in a relatively few short years... salute

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4504988 - 01/25/20 10:53 PM Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor [Re: AceMedic88]  
Redwolf Offline
Redwolf  Offline

Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
Just going to add some info to this thread regarding monitors for those looking into upgrading/replacing.

Regarding panel types, in GENERAL (though there can be some specific cases that break this), here is a low down:

Colour

#1 IPS (generally best color representation of the class and strength of this panel type)
#2 VA
#3 TN

Brightness

#1 IPS
#2 TN*
#3 VA

(* close to a tie here with IPS - newer versions of TN panels have really improved in this area)

Contrast

#1 VA (best contrast of the class, truest blacks (and the main strength of this panel type))
#2 IPS/TN (pretty much a tie here in general with specific panels of each of these types can be found to have much better and also much worse contrast)

Response

#1 TN (main strength of this panel type)
#2 IPS*
#3 VA*

(* mileage hugely varies here with both some much slower IPS and also VA panels, but this is an area that IPS newer panels in general are improving upon (though the clear class winner here is TN in general))

Price (most expensive to least (in general))

#1 IPS (priciest)
#2 VA
#3 TN

Also considerations - IPS has best viewing angles with little to no distortion (whereas both TN and VA panels have restricted viewing angles (TN the most in general)). Back light bleeding can be an issue with both IPS and VA (but more significant in general in IPS (IPS glow)) and ghosting more of an issue with VA panels vs the other two types.

There are definitely pros and cons of each panel type. What works best for you is ultimately up to personal preference and monitor usage.

Win10/ i5-7600/ 16GB RAM/ GTX1660 Super
#4504996 - 01/26/20 12:48 AM Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor [Re: AceMedic88]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Thank you Redwolf for this good write-up. It certainly helps to save time when shopping for monitors.

I made the mistake of getting a VA (Acer) monitor a couple of yrs. ago for my sims (FE2/WOFF) - and, even though the stuttering was minor, it was irritating nonetheless in crowded dogfights - might also have been the case that there was a slight ghosting issue. Response time on the monitor was around 7ms if I remember correctly. I then switched to an IPS (Asus) monitor, 4 or 5ms response time, and have been running it ever since. No stuttering, smooth simming, good color representation and wide viewing angles.

Too bad the VA monitor had to go since the color representation (nice dark colors) and also text rendering on it was wonderfully crisp and thin (which I like) - but the subtle ghosting and micro-stuttering I couldn't tolerate for too long. With some tweaking, text rendering is fine on the IPS monitor too, but nothing matches the blacks of a VA monitor (great for viewing movies and artwork).

Never tried TN monitors - I suppose that's for hard-core first-person shooter gamers who like to mix it up online and swear by their ms response times. Then again, the really hard-core bunch still prefer CRT monitors even to the TN type.

Happy flying all,
Von S smile

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM