Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4498116 - 11/23/19 11:32 PM Book on Billy Bishop  
Deejan Offline
Deejan  Offline

Ottawa,Ontario Canada
I located a book on Billy Bishop named Billy Bishop VC Lone Wolf Hunter-The RAF Ace Re-Examined. It is authored by a well respected aviation authority Peter Kilduff. Apparently he investigated the controversy of Bishops lone wolf raid which earned him the VC and his victory claims. Looks like a great read. Has anyone read this book? If you have read this book what are your opinions of it and the author? I will definitely be purchasing it along with : Red Baron The Life and Death of an Ace, The Red Baron Combat Wing also authored by Mr. Kilduff. This is what was said about his book on Mr. Bishop:

“William Avery Bishop is recognised as the British Empire’s highest-scoring WWI ace, credited with 72 combat victories, third-ranking behind von Richthofen and René Fonck. He scored many of his successes on his own, prevailing only by dint of personal courage, daring and superior marksmanship. This remarkable man’s story has been detailed in many books and articles, but renowned author Peter Kilduff is adamant that so far the full truth has not been told. Famed for his even-handed, thorough, exhaustive and forensic research, Kilduff sets out to bring new light to missions and kills so far steeped in controversy. As so many of Bishop’s victories were achieved during solo combat, all will be examined and scrutinised, drawing on German, British and Canadian archival sources, Bishop’s private correspondence, and accounts by friends and foes. Such an approach provides as complete an account as possible which also serves as a valuable reference work containing many previously unpublished images.”

Cheers!

Deej

#4498119 - 11/24/19 12:13 AM Re: Book on Billy Bishop [Re: Deejan]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
I own/have read it. It was published in 2014. Like all of Peter's books, it's well worth owning.

#4498139 - 11/24/19 04:08 AM Re: Book on Billy Bishop [Re: Deejan]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Agree with JFM (it's generally a good plan - few are more knowledgeable). Kilduff is inclined to offer Bishop the benefit of doubt on issues in dispute. At times he seems a bit generous, but I'd recommend the book.

#4498221 - 11/24/19 10:26 PM Re: Book on Billy Bishop [Re: Deejan]  
Deejan Offline
Deejan  Offline

Ottawa,Ontario Canada
Thanks Raine, JM. Appreciate the candour and your thoughts! At least Peter, from what I’ve seen does thorough, diligent work with all available documentation/material available to him and makes informed decisions from this albeit at times generous with regards to Bishop. Generous perhaps but it should lean, as it should if not outlandishly vague in Bishops favour. Look forward to purchasing the book and reading it along with the Red Baron books authored by Peter. Cheers!

Deej

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM