Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4498167 - 11/24/19 02:51 PM Help With Stalling  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

So I've been playing this series for, I don't know, over ten years now and I still haven't figured out the stall mechanic. Here's a not great video but the one that set me off most recently:

The flip at 1:15 doesn't seem to be preceded by anything that extreme. I wasn't using anywhere near full deflection on the controls and I eased into the turn with rudder first. I wish I could have the controls and behavior showing at the same time. I feel like sometimes the game feels it "owes me a stall" and I get one no matter what... hahaha

at around 2:09 I am getting the stall warning at 75 mph, which is as fast as that plane ever goes and with no where near full deflection on either control stick or rudder throw. At 2:26 I'm even looking down at my controls as I get the stall warning like "Are you kidding me?"

So what steps should I be taking to get the tightest turn with an aircraft without getting the embarrassing "No, we are going to flip your whole plane over in front of your friends and enemies!" kind of stall?

Thanks! salute

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4498170 - 11/24/19 03:31 PM Re: Help With Stalling [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
Not much help, but having looked at the video, I dont know why you are stalling either.

The closest I've had is stalling due to pulling up too hard during a steep bank (the same kind of turn fighting you are doing there). But I know that is a form of power stall, which isnt what I see in your video.

#4498177 - 11/24/19 04:44 PM Re: Help With Stalling [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
I know it’s obvious, but you are in the D.H.2 - the spinning incinerator. SPINNING. How is it that you’re staying level in this thing for this long is beyond me.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4498179 - 11/24/19 05:27 PM Re: Help With Stalling [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
I noticed that your blipping and being slightly nose high when you made your pull at around 1:17 is probably what caused that stall.

Apart from that, going on what happened afterwards I've noticed that; once the AI have had enough punishment their behavior is to go into "helicopter mode". They press a button in their plane which allows them to use use super secret slow flying technology . If you try to hover behind them to deliver the coup de grace you'll find it often results in a collision or a stall (and crash if you're too low, I've done it myself). I've lost quite a few careers this way. Frustration and impatience can really get the better of my good judgement in this situation.

Long story short Rick, you look like you're doing pretty well on not stalling apart from maybe getting yourself tied in knots managing the engine blip every once in a while. On blipping, I try and imagine what the engine sounds like as though it were a real engine and I try not to do anything to it that I wouldn't like the sound of if I were relying on it for my life. Repeatedly hammering the switch might be doing funny things torque wise so I'd experiment with that and see how you go. I'd also change up your approach to the situation when finishing the enemy plane off and give yourself more room by breaking off and making another pass instead of trying to hover like a helicopter behind him. Pretty sure you're done this enough times yourself to know that it's dangerous and it rarely works the way you want, so why not try something else eh?

Last edited by Ace_Pilto; 11/24/19 05:32 PM.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4498187 - 11/24/19 06:15 PM Re: Help With Stalling [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Burning_Beard Offline
Burning_Beard  Offline

Red Bluff, CA
I have often wondered if wind exacerbates the stall. You are at altitude, trying desperately to keep up your speed, and sometimes it works quite well when other times you just fall out of the sky. I have never turned of the wind in the game but am sure it has an effect on the plane, no matter what you are flying. Also, you need to make sure you mixture is set properly to maintain you speed, if it is to rich, it can really cause the performance to deteriorate. The DH2 is one of my faves, but it can be really touchy to fly, and some missions it just seems to work better than others.

Beard

Last edited by Burning_Beard; 11/24/19 06:16 PM.

More Scotch and Stogies for my Wingman!
#4498191 - 11/24/19 06:33 PM Re: Help With Stalling [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted by Ace_Pilto

Apart from that, going on what happened afterwards I've noticed that; once the AI have had enough punishment their behavior is to go into "helicopter mode". They press a button in their plane which allows them to use use super secret slow flying technology . If you try to hover behind them to deliver the coup de grace you'll find it often results in a collision or a stall (and crash if you're too low, I've done it myself). I've lost quite a few careers this way. Frustration and impatience can really get the better of my good judgement in this situation.

I left this part of the video in and purposefully didn't comment on it to see if anybody said anything. Between this and Beard's comment on the wind, "I wonder if he is using the same wind we are using?", it makes me feel at least I am not the only one experiencing these things. So few people post videos regularly that it is hard to get a good read on how others approach the same situation... Thanks for the input, guys!

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4498194 - 11/24/19 06:51 PM Re: Help With Stalling [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
What about the Centre of gravity on that kite?
Being a 'pusher' could it be the CoG makes it more prone to stalling out like that?

#4498207 - 11/24/19 08:36 PM Re: Help With Stalling [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
That's pretty much the gist of it Trooper, the higher you are the worse it gets too, Rise of Flight's DH-2 is very much the same story. I like to make sure I'm using "God's G" whenever I turn in it because as soon as that nose gets a whiff of the horizon it's going to stall .

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4498209 - 11/24/19 08:53 PM Re: Help With Stalling [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
The DH2 was prone and feared because of sudden spins. It was called "The Spinning Incinerator".
On some you were blipping while turning, which can lead to spins on unstable aircraft.
Also staying in a turn for a long long time makes it lose lift sooner or later, especially with the nose above horizon. Occasionally you should straighten out to gain some momentum again or at least let your nose go below horizon.

Regarding the helicopter move. AI has no other FM than you have. Obviously they know how to fly to the limit. Also they straighten out sometimes before repeating the move. Actually it is a realistic move, trying to circle out of the fight and stay above you, especially in enemy territory, instead of flying to the deck as in most sims happens.

#4498225 - 11/24/19 10:46 PM Re: Help With Stalling [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

From what I can see in the clip, one of the stalls/flips is preceded by application of full throttle...might be the gyro. effect kicking in. On a broader note, judging from my experiences in the DH.2 in modded FE2 (a similar beast probably to the one in WOFFue/pe) - avoid rudder-induced turns whenever possible, use ailerons instead but only gentle aileron movement if possible. As well, no extreme elevator usage in turns or stalls will develop. The other oddity about the DH.2 is that it tends to slip/lose altitude in tight turns. Better to "carve out" gentler turns in it whenever possible, as Carrick says of the Nieup. 16 in the DiD posts - and to maintain speed if possible. Also, climbing too extremely in it may induce sudden stalls/spins...it tends to prefer a more docile climb rate. How Lanoe Hawker managed to keep it aloft over 10 mins. in the fight with MvR is beyond me.

Von S smile

Last edited by VonS; 11/24/19 10:48 PM. Reason: Fixed typos.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4498229 - 11/24/19 10:52 PM Re: Help With Stalling [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Good information, guys, thanks!

#4498390 - 11/26/19 01:02 PM Re: Help With Stalling [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Rick, from what I see in the video you handle the WOFF DH.2 very well. I believe what got the stall started was when you pushed forward slightly on the JS then quickly pulled it back a second or two before the stall. You were in a smooth turn and then, from the looks of things, in an effort to adjust the arc of that turn, you dropped the nose a bit then pulled it back sharply, which likely got the air burbling over the wings and you lost your lift. It wouldn't take much, given the fact that you were flying that kite right on the edge of the envelope pretty much throughout.

Lou

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4498452 - 11/27/19 12:49 AM Re: Help With Stalling [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Thanks, Lou!

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans