Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#449796 - 11/29/04 04:29 PM Anywhere to buy Steel Beasts 1 in the UK?  
Drawde Offline
Drawde  Offline

Cookham,Berkshire,UK
I'm not sure I'll be able to afford SB Pro PE what with shipping costs, import duty etc.
and it seems like it'll be a very long wait till SB2 is released.
Whilst I know the original Steel Beasts isn't as good as the newer sim in terms of either graphical
detail, simulation accuracy or variety of vehicle and map types, it still seems like the best modern tank
sim out there. However I don't have a copy myself (I saw the "Gold Edition" in the shops a year or so ago, but
I wasn't really interested in modern tanks then).

I've looked in all my local PC game shops (including Gamestation which sell second-hand PC games), and have checked
on online stores like Game, Gameplay, Play.com and Amazon. No copies found needless to say!
I've also tried Ebay but there are no copies of SB1 for sale in the UK (a few in the US, but again, shipping costs
will put the price up a lot). (I have managed to get two other tank sims very cheaply on Ebay, Spearhead and M1TP 2,
both of which were around £2; no idea what they'll be like or whether they will run on my PC though)

So - is there anywhere I can buy a copy in the UK?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#449797 - 11/29/04 07:07 PM Re: Anywhere to buy Steel Beasts 1 in the UK?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try Amazon again. Last week they had copies of Gold for $15, plus whatever godawful amount they burn you for international shipping.

#449798 - 11/29/04 07:27 PM Re: Anywhere to buy Steel Beasts 1 in the UK?  
valleyboy Offline
valleyboy  Offline

Aberdare, Wales, UK
Psssst...

http://www.justplaynow.com/

check under post WWII, its in there for £9.99!

"The engines are overheating, and so am I!!, we either make a move, or blow up!, So which is it to be?!"
----------------------------------
"It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
#449799 - 11/29/04 09:03 PM Re: Anywhere to buy Steel Beasts 1 in the UK?  
Drawde Offline
Drawde  Offline

Cookham,Berkshire,UK
Well.. having tried the demo version (only 20MB! nice to see a reasonable download size
for a change \:\) ) I have to say, I'm VERY impressed!

I can see why everyone says it's the best modern tank sim there is.
Though it's very complex, the tutorials do a good job of familiarising you with the various sighting systems,
orders, aiming, waypoints etc.
I have to say that though I am a tank/AFV enthusiast I never knew that the sighting and aiming systems in the
M1 Abrams were so good - it basically does the job of both leading and rangefinding for you. No wonder their
combat record has been so good so far (Do the T-72 and T-80 have a similar system? I'm assuming the T-72 doesn't,
but I'm not sure about the T-80)

Graphically it's not nearly as bad as I expected, whilst it isn't comparable to more recent games,
the vehicles look reasonable (textures are high-res enough to avoid too much pixellation) and the terrain
is reasonably varied and realistic-looking, apart from the very bright green grass (is there a mod for this?)

The mission editor is also very easy to use (rather Operation Flashpoint-like). I discovered that the various other
vehicles in the game were controllable in custom missions (with no internal views), which was a pleasant surprise; it would be interesting to create a mission where the player controls a Bradley or BMP platoon for example.

I also noticed that the vehicle skins, terrain textures etc. were non-packed and in .bmp format, for easy moddability.
I might try making some vehicle skins myself, when I get the game.

Thanks for the link valleyboy - though I have spent quite a lot of money recently (mostly second-hand models/kits on Ebay)
I think I can spare an extra £9.99 (free postage apparently) for a sim as good as this.

#449800 - 12/01/04 11:47 PM Re: Anywhere to buy Steel Beasts 1 in the UK?  
Bluewings Offline
Bluewings  Offline

UK
Quote:
Do the T-72 and T-80 have a similar system? I'm assuming the T-72 doesn't,
but I'm not sure about the T-80
No for most of the T-72's , but some have a very decent FCS(Fire Control System) , some are even using French FCS .

The T-80's have a very good fire on the move capability and are not far away ~or on the par~ of the Abrams FCS . They are nevertheless a bit behind compared to the latest generation like Leo2A5/6 , Leclerc , Abrams SEP , Korean K1 and Merkavas .

Glad you liked the demo \:\)
All you need to do now is to train yourself , then come online and play with us ;\) .

Cheers .

I say what I mean and I do what I say .
#449801 - 12/02/04 01:41 AM Re: Anywhere to buy Steel Beasts 1 in the UK?  
dejawolf Offline
dejawolf  Offline

the T-72M1 has a very basic rangefinder device, and poor stabilization. more rapid movement will usually make the sight picture bounce.
interestingly enough, the T-72 has a hunter killer function, a bit like the leopard 2's TC scope. but the TC can only turn the turret. he has no control over the gun itself.
and the TC scope is also attached to his cupola, so he has to turn his whole body to turn the sight. it's a bit clumsy if the TC wants to scan the rear of the turret.

i don't know much about the T-80 FCS, but apparently, it's got better stabilization, and dynamic lead, as well as a powered cupola for the TC.

SB comes in 3 variations.

"SB2" "SB pro PE" and "SB pro".
"public" "pub/mil" "military"

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.