Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 23 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 22 23
#4497574 - 11/18/19 02:48 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC *** [Re: WangoTango]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK

Troop, did you manage to get it? That's a long wait no doubt, but hopefully you were able to do so.

Yes mate... I left it downloading all night. Played it for 3 hours this morning.
Loving it I have to say... it's like being in a great big beautiful film!
I let Geforce Experience optimise the game... not had a single crash in SP yet.
Went online briefly, but it crashed within a couple of minutes, but will have another go at it later tonight.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4497576 - 11/18/19 02:58 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee

Originally Posted by theOden

You have a Colt for situations like this smile

I would have shot Micah, Mrs Grimshaw, and Reverend Swanson with no remorse biggrin

Javier, Lenny and Hosea though, thems my boys.

Even Dutch, the leader and Arthur's father-figure, is tap dancing on my last nerve as every morning and every night his old lady and he are arguing. Keep a lid on it. I mostly make camp in the wild these days as I don't want to wake up to that. Plus, there's something awesome about getting out of your tent to a new dawn out in the wilderness. Trusty steed standing ready, embers from last night's cooking fire fading away. I can almost smell the coffee. Kick out the fire, saddle up and see what opportunity the new day has brung.

But weapons are disabled in camp, which is understandable or the story would be harder to move forward with everyone dead I suppose.

But I wish you could at least access your weapons in camp for maintenance. Weapons degrade pretty fast, and that's with the 10% slower degradation trinket, especially the semi-auto shotgun which I need to clean every day. It gets a lot of use.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4497577 - 11/18/19 03:02 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: Trooper117]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Trooper117

Yes mate... I left it downloading all night. Played it for 3 hours this morning.
Loving it I have to say... it's like being in a great big beautiful film!

Excellent, and good early impressions. I'm happy it's off to a good start.

It is like being in a film at times, same thought struck me. Like the opening credits, with the red font, I half-expected it to say Directed by John Ford any moment.

#4497580 - 11/18/19 03:59 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Chaz Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Chaz  Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls

Elric feels for those that can’t play the game

#4497583 - 11/18/19 05:23 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Just curious: How "bad" is our protagonist?

I've never really felt like playing GTA, as I don't like playing some, even comically overdone, criminals. How is that with this title?

#4497584 - 11/18/19 05:23 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
It'll be a couple of years before this goes on sale.

#4497586 - 11/18/19 05:42 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by RSColonel_131st
Just curious: How "bad" is our protagonist?

I've never really felt like playing GTA, as I don't like playing some, even comically overdone, criminals. How is that with this title?

This is a good question Colonel. Short answer, not very bad.

Long answer, it's complicated. There is nothing intrinsically bad about him, or even what you're required to do with him. However, he is after all, an outlaw. You'll find yourself slugging NPCs and of course filling them full of lead. One of the things Arthur will be doing is collecting unpaid debts, and the NPCs often require some spirited persuasion before they'll cough it up. And some of these are modest, law abiding citizens that shouldn't have borrowed the money, but now time is up and you're here to collect. But punchin' ain't killin', despite all the blood.

Compared to Trevor from GTA 5 Arthur's a teddy bear.

There's an 'honor meter' and the game judges your actions and the story and NPCs react to you partly based on this. My honor meter is about 90% honorable. I save damsels in distress, often release a prisoner or other NPC I could have killed, and generally try to play a good outlaw despite the dichotomy, just ask my man Twice-Bitten. I can't say I've been required to do anything I'd rate as distasteful in a morality sense, aside from all the killing, but these are 'enemies', and those we shoot, as with most games.

Of course a player can do whatever he wants, and if you want to lasso the friendly shopkeeper and drag him across the map on your horse you can do it. But as far as being forced to do things you might object to I'd say that's going to be rare.

In GTA 5 I squirmed at times playing Trevor. The dude is sick, and there were plenty of cringe-worthy moments in that game. He may be my least favorite character I've ever played in a video game. RDR 2 goes in an entirely different direction here, and while morality is a factor, how you proceed or deal with any situation is (mostly) up to you.

#4497600 - 11/18/19 08:38 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
RSColonel, I can't stand the characters in GTA5 and won't play it even though I tried. I really detest them and even though its part of those game's style, I hate the over the top, dirtiness and satire of that game. Red Dead Redemption is worlds different than GTA games in overall character. It still has its characters one might be drawn to and others that become hated but they've created some interesting stories and characters in the RDR universe of which I'm a fan. I don't necessarily like every decision Rockstar makes with RDR, but I do really enjoy the RDR universe but in general despise the GTA world.

The key is in the title. There are redemptive qualities in the story's overall theme with certain characters. Arthur Morgan became one of my favorite video game characters to add to that list for me. As Dbond says, the game has an honor system and it somewhat plays into the story and from my understanding, depending on how you behave the entire game, you may get a different ending.

I played Arthur as predominantly benevolent where I personally would try to be however I still experimented in a role playing sort of way with antagonizing only a select few individuals in camp. As the story progressed I would role play and even try to be nice to some people who are terrible just to pretend I was trying to be a peacemaker but still had time to role play and revert back to my antagonistic mode towards certain people and because of how the story begins to unfold, it felt like a natural thing to role play a certain way towards certain characters. There is a ton of voice acted dialogue too which just makes those behavior choices more interesting and basically expounds and enhances the story that you see with the one being more fleshed out in your mind.

There was a time early on in the game though where because of a certain scene, just when I thought that our character Arthur Morgan might be a good guy, something would happen to make me think, "Well, maybe not." That's what's good about the story telling in the game though. It kept me guessing for a long time as to who would be what and who would do who wrong especially having played the first game twice and knowing that John Marston is a character you encounter in the second game. Arthur's story is a good one. I don't want to give away anything. It needs to be experienced especially after playing as Arthur for many, many gaming hours and many adventures.

When it came to other bad guy gangs in the game, I usually was always antagonistic and brutal.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4497613 - 11/19/19 12:42 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I really liked GTA 5, one of my favorite games. I never got in to GTA over the years despite trying several of the titles. But when R* added first person mode to GTA 5 I tried it and ended up loving it. However, I didn't like the characters aside from Franklin. Michael was a serious idiot, despite the fact he is supposed to be a master thief. And Trevor is surely the most objectionable and repugnant character I've played in a video game. I mean, he is messed up. Franklin I liked, and of course he was the character R* seemed to pay the least attention to. But he had his head on straight unlike the other two. I thought the single player experience in that game was great even though I didn't like the characters, and not surprisingly I got most in to it during free roam when I became the character and wasn't reminded I was playing one of the mains.

I can't think of anything I've seen so far in RDR 2 that I would say is over the top. Neither characters or situations or outcomes. No analog for chasing your own boat down the freeway, The games share some design and structure and that's obvious, but there's no GTA vibe in this one. And honestly I really liked that sort of stuff in GTA. It was fun, and it fit, However, players shouldn't worry that this is just GTA in the old west.

Arthur's maybe a bad guy, he's surely done some bad things in his past. But when you read the journal, and learn more about him it's clear he's conflicted. You get the feeling his lot's been cast and he's making the best of it. The old west is a violent and dangerous place, and to make it he has to play by those rules. So you'll do a lot of shooting, robbing, fighting and stealing. It's what outlaws do I reckon. I sort of play it like I'm a decent man in a bad situation, and you gotta do what you gotta do to survive. Outlaw's what I do, not who I am, or something like that. Sometimes you do something to anger a peaceful NPC. Maybe you stare at him too long, or bump him a couple of times to get him in a shootin' mood. And he starts popping off rounds. In most games I'd just return fire, drop him and carry on. But in RDR 2 I jump on my horse and escape if I can, and don't shoot back. Not sure why really, maybe just to keep my honor rating up. At times though it feels more like that man doesn't deserve to die today.

#4497618 - 11/19/19 01:34 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Thanks DBond and Coot, that helps to know.

I still think it would have been nice to see an official "police campaign" in GTA (or Mafia 3 for that matter), and I would love (but it's never going to happen) if they came out with a "Sheriff" DLC for RDR2 down the line.

I like edgy and somewhat dark characters (Geralt is definitly not your average sunnyboy hero), yet a pure criminal I couldn't identify with. Seems that's softened here.

#4497624 - 11/19/19 03:08 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Then I think you'd really like Arthur and some of the other characters too RS. Did you play the first game? I recommend that too.

#4497678 - 11/19/19 03:26 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by RSColonel_131st
Seems that's softened here.

Yeah, I agree. And only a small part of the time is spent doing the criminal stuff. I mean, if you get out and about in free roam, and avoid all of the opt-in sort of shady activity. A player just doing the story missions would be outlawin' on full throttle. But there's so much to do aside from the story I can't imagine too many players would go that route. Story missions are indicated by yellow icons, so are easily identified and postponed as desired, although some trigger by proximity and you can suddenly find yourself swept along a on a big mission before you were really ready. I don't think the colonel wants to avoid the crime, just a cartoon version of it. So yeah, like Coot said you'd probably get on with it if you think it looks interesting.

A police campaign in GTA 5 would be a blast, and literally from time to time. I love flying helicopters on that map and would have fun playing a police chopper pilot. In RDR 2 you're an outlaw, but without revealing too much you'll sometimes work closely with the law. Bounty hunting is one example. You can walk in to a sheriff's office and if there's a wanted poster on the wall, grab it and take the bounty. Most of the targets are wanted alive, so it's some straight-up law work. You're looking to hogtie the target, and he won't come willingly, which leads to some cool solutions and game play. I took a bounty last night from the Strawberry sheriff, who made a point of saying "if you don't think you can bring him back alive, then this ain't the job for you". OK, point taken, and that's what I'm fixin' to do sheriff.

The target was last seen in the northwest, close to where I found the legendary buck. Heading up in to the mountains I found a mine shaft near the target icon so went inside looking for him. As I was crouched inspecting his camp, he appeared at the mine's entrance, blocking my escape and saying something like 'if you want to go, bounty hunter, you have to go through me'. Cue duel. When a duel happens you have to hold down left mouse to start filling a meter as the game shifts in to bullet time (Dead-Eye). When your meter is filled you draw your weapon and can shoot. Most of these opponents are bad hombres and good with a gun themselves, and even in Dead-Eye there's little time to get your shot off before he does. More than one duel has sent me to the retry checkpoint screen.

We both drew at the same time and as he brought his revolver up to level, all in super slow mo, I aimed at his wrist and fired, striking him and sending his gun flying just as a round cooked off and hit the wall behind me. Disarmed, he turned and ran out of the mine, cursing me the whole way. You shot me! How a real man would have killed him and that sort of stuff. I lassoed him and tied him up, and whistled for Captain Jack then loaded the mark on the back of the horse. Back to the sheriff, with this guy jabbering the whole way. You can opt to strike your captives and shut them up, but I like to hear what they have to say. It's a hoot. And this guy was seriously put out by what just happened.

Halfway back to Strawberry we were approached by a couple of shady characters on horseback who said 'that bounty looks heavy, how about we take him off your hands'. I had sensed danger and was already at full gallop as these guys started sending rifle rounds our way, but I had bought a fast horse for just this sort of thing and escaped, much to my captive's relief. I threw him in a cell and collected my 40 dollars. That was a good time smile

#4497682 - 11/19/19 04:17 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
That's a really neat story. I was actually wondering if Bounty hunting would be a thing.

So yeah, sounds more like my cup of tea than GTA.

Coot, I had the original on the PS3, but the GFX up close on the screen pixelated my nerves. That was about the time when I came a PC-only player, so that one fell by the wayside after the initial hour or two...

#4497703 - 11/19/19 07:00 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Outlaw Offline
One of the Original Four
Outlaw  Offline
One of the Original Four

The Great Northwest...
I had never heard of the Red Dead Redemption craze, but decided to purchase it on the 5th.

Long story short, it's without a doubt the greatest game I have ever played.

There is simply so much to do in the game it's beyond belief. Everything from the graphics, to the story, to the open world, to the acting, is incredible. Heck, I'll find myself just walking on horseback to a mission just to gander and try new things. Everything from treasure maps, to the freak storms are just mind blowing.

Everyone needs to try this game.

#4497717 - 11/19/19 09:28 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
It's fantastic... I'm the same. The scenery is just beautiful to behold. I wander around sight seeing and exploring, never mind the missions etc.
So much to see and do... The story and the characters ensnare you straight away, as stated above, it's pretty mind blowing smile

#4497721 - 11/19/19 10:46 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Mark Aisthorpe Offline
Crazy Courier
Mark Aisthorpe  Offline
Crazy Courier

London UK
Agreed its totally stunning, the only thing missing IMO, VR support smile

Asus Maximus XI Hero
i9-9900K
32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
Corsair H115i
Corsair RM850X PSU
Phanteks Evolv X
Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
Win 10
#4497738 - 11/20/19 04:30 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

If you can manage playing the first I would recommend it. It was all the more enjoyable playing the second knowing some of the people and events in the first game. There's even something I did not even grasp when I first saw it but apparently Dutch makes a little speech in the sequel and sounds awfully close to one he gives in the first game and the circumstance and environment he's in makes it almost prophetic. So there are some meaningful nods to those who know the first game. However the second game is still written and presented as a separate thing so you don't have to play or know anything of the first to enjoy it. In fact, I imagine it would be just as enjoyable for someone who only played the second to experience the first game as it was for someone like me who knows the first game going into the second. Its written in such a way it would actually lend itself to be enjoyable no matter what end you approach it from.

Perhaps if you could hook up your xbox 360 or PS3 to a smaller PC screen it would help with image quality. That being said I've seen video of the XBOX One port of the game and it apparently scales up to newer resolutions making it almost look like a remake. I still hope they bring it to PC with 60fps because that would be a dream!

#4497757 - 11/20/19 01:43 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I agree, fantastic game, glad I waited for PC too. Not that I knew there would be one, mind. I mean, it was announced and then out a month later, but we had heard little for almost a year. It's just my sort of game and I get completely lost in it. I've reached chapter 4 and honestly I need to slow down as I don't want it to end. At the same time though I'm eager to discover the next thing. When you walk up to one of those yellow icons you don't know what's about to happen. Usually something fun.

I'm sitting on a nice pile of cash, about $4,000, and I have most everything I want, so I went looking for a new horse but not finding one that looks a nice upgrade over the brindle thoroughbred I'm riding now. I thought some new choices would open up in chapter 4, though I have not visited every stable yet, just St Denis and Strawberry. What's the best all-round horse in RDR? Which is the best combination of speed, courage and stamina? I'm aware of the white Arabian you can tame, but I can't be seen on a white horse. Too ostentatious, ya know? The Turkoman looks good, and I found one, but didn't like his coat, like all gold. You can own up to four horses so I'm looking to fill out the stable. And I gotta look good too of course. So I want a better all-rounder with an attractive coat, which of course is highly subjective. For those who finished the game on console, which horse did you think was the best?

Happy birthday Troop!

#4497761 - 11/20/19 02:19 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: Trooper117]  
Outlaw Offline
One of the Original Four
Outlaw  Offline
One of the Original Four

The Great Northwest...
Originally Posted by Trooper117
It's fantastic... I'm the same. The scenery is just beautiful to behold. I wander around sight seeing and exploring, never mind the missions etc.
So much to see and do... The story and the characters ensnare you straight away, as stated above, it's pretty mind blowing smile

My two "favorite" moments so far (and there have been a ton of great moments) had nothing to do with missions, but were just presented to me while out exploring. The first was while just taking in the beauty of the area after a thunderstorm, I decided to do a little bow hunting. As the horse and I were lazily walking to one of my favorite areas for rabbit, a young fella comes out of nowhere wearing prison stripes asking for help. I figured I'd increase my good guy side and help him out. What blew me away was he didn't want a ride anywhere, he wanted me to shoot the shackles off his feet. I did so, and added to my Dead Eye. Absolutely fantastic stuff.

The second was the Civil War guy in Valentine. He pulled at the heart strings asked for a hug, and then pick pocketed me. Which you wont see happen but you'll notice in your inventory. Lol! This game has so many surprises. I can't get enough of it.

#4497763 - 11/20/19 02:35 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
#%&*$#,you guys are making me want to own this game but it breaks my rules of paying so much (£55 for the std version) frown I may need to see past that.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
Page 7 of 23 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 22 23

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.