Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 23 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 22 23
#4497128 - 11/14/19 12:32 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC *** [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
A few more screens

Some rough and beautiful country along the southern Grizzlies. I was out hunting bighorns.

[Linked Image]

And keeping with the fishing theme

This shot shows how diverse the map and terrain are, here in the south, Bayou country, with a local doing some fishing. Note my lighter clothing for the warmer climate.

[Linked Image]

I decided to go for a legendary bass, and found him. Look at the size of it! 22 pound smallmouth. An all-tackle world record it is!

[Linked Image]

And here he is packed on Captain Jack. I had met a man who made a business out of selling huge stuffed fish to clients who wanted to look like successful fishermen. So I headed for the post and mailed this hawg off to the taxidermist. Call me fish mail biggrin

[Linked Image]

Attached Files waterfall.jpgswampride.jpghugebassonhorse.jpghugeassbass.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 11/14/19 02:11 PM.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4497141 - 11/14/19 01:57 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Mark Aisthorpe Offline
Crazy Courier
Mark Aisthorpe  Offline
Crazy Courier

London UK
I was going to wait for it to come out on Steam but I broke down and got it on Epic.
It looks fantastic and so far runs great, no crashes or stutters yet but then I havnt played it for very long yet.

The only problem I am having is my damned mouse cursor wont dissapear off the screen. I did a little googling on the subject and it seems to be a common problem.
The only one of the many "fix's" that have worked so far it turning on mouse trails in Windows, far from an ideal one as I hate the trails when on the desktop so I'l have to turn them on only when playing.

Asus Maximus XI Hero
i9-9900K
32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
Corsair H115i
Corsair RM850X PSU
Phanteks Evolv X
Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
Win 10
#4497142 - 11/14/19 02:07 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I get it too Mark, with little rhyme nor reason to it. Sometimes I have it and sometimes I don't. Sometimes it's a cursor and sometimes the grabby hand thing.

Alt-tab doesn't work for me in RDR 2, but the Windows key does. I can usually make it go away by toggling that a few times, but even that doesn't always work. I've gotten used to, sort of keeping the cursor along the top edge of the screen so that it's more or less out of sight.

I'm rather surprised that no patch has come out yet. It's been eight days since a rocky launch and I expected a few hotfixes straight away.

Perhaps I have been a bit hasty....

Looks like a patch dropped last night

https://www.reddit.com/r/RDR2/comments/dw4t4g/rdr2_114_patch_notes/

Lots of apparent fixes (and how many new bugs introduced eh?) Including this one, that seems most directly, and vaguely, related to my crash issues

Fixed crashes and stability issues that resulted in the error “Red Dead Redemption 2 exited unexpectedly” during gameplay

Last edited by DBond; 11/14/19 02:30 PM.

#4497158 - 11/14/19 05:14 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

I've been playing it a bit every night and really enjoy it vs on the console. Glad I rebought it on PC.

One thing I will mention is that if anyone has any plans to do Red Dead Online at any point you should get started on it now. They have daily challenges and you get bonuses for every sequential day you manage at least one challenge. There are 9 per day and normally one is easy enough you can do with 5-10 min. If you do a whole month of challenges you can max out your rewards. Once you max it out THEN you do any of the treasure maps you have accumulated.

#4497177 - 11/14/19 08:29 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I haven't decided if I'll venture in to RDRO, though I played a lot of GTAO, to level 120 anyway, which takes a while. With no invite option or way to clear a lobby (is that correct?) I might give it a miss here. I'll see how I feel when I finish the single player.

Speaking of GTAO.... I unlocked the golden revolver and the tomahawk/hatchet with GTA's headshot challenges. How do I get them to show in RDR? Maybe I have them but yet to see them? I'm launching through Epic, but it still connects to Rockstar's launcher and I see my R* user name come up, so it appears linked. Has anyone worked out how to get these weapons in RDR?

#4497180 - 11/14/19 09:24 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

In reference to it being open.

Yes, it is just open. You cant pick the server and you cant start a private server. With that said i've only run into one player killer this whole time on PC. Also you can take the stranger missions and for the most part they put you in a private instance until the mission ends but you can still do everything so what a lot of people do is take a stranger mission then go off and play by themselves or in their party. As long as you dont yourself kill a bunch of players so that your karma turns bad you should be fine. It tries to pair people of like karma so if you dont kill players you will play with friendly people. If you do PK you will get stuck with other PKers.

#4497195 - 11/15/19 12:01 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Well, what I saw playing GTAO makes me lean away from it, but we'll see. There are no Oppressors so it's probably better than GTA smile

Early impressions of this patch are very good. My mouse now works properly in the menus, and played for a couple of hours with no CTDs. Too early to know if they're gone, but it looks good. It runs and looks great, so if the stability is sorted I'm good to go. This is what should have been released a week ago. Mouse cursor still there though.

I noticed that the patch reset my graphics settings to low, so I chose to set to default, and it went back to balanced. It runs so well, that if the crashes are gone I will start bumping some stuff up. But even if I never did it still looks fantastic.

#4497248 - 11/15/19 12:38 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I suspected it may be a bit premature to declare it fixed, and it was. I still had a few crashes last night after posting. So I upgraded my graphics drivers to 441.20 and played trouble free after that, but still too early. The frequency with which they happen is much lower now anyway.

Today's screenshot series smile

That's a good boy

[Linked Image]

Rollin' on a mission

[Linked Image]

Can't have some screenshots without one about fishing. A nice rainbow trout

[Linked Image]

Chapters 2 and 3 are a good time to set aside the main story to do all the other things. I've been spending a lot of time hunting. There are legendary animals to hunt, and lots of other game as well. Aside from the food, which can be for yourself, sold or turned in at camp for the greater good, there are plenty of uses for the pelts, antlers and other parts. Lots of things to craft. It can all be ignored, but then you're missing a well-done aspect of the game. Animals can be studied, and once you've done that you can use any optics (binoculars or scope) to judge the quality of their pelt. The goal is 3 stars and if you use the right weapon to avoid too much damage, you can get perfect pelts that are used in most of the crafting recipes. Using a varmit rifle or bow on the smaller game, or a headshot or heart shot with a larger caliber against bigger game will usually preserve the pelt. The game world is teeming with wildlife and hunting is a great activity and way to spend time. Here, I bring a 3-star pronghorn buck back to camp.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files petdog.jpgrainbowtrout.jpgonamission.jpgreturnhunt.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 11/15/19 02:27 PM.

#4497269 - 11/15/19 03:10 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Sounds good with the less CTD's DBond, getting closer to purchase time (I need to get one of those rainbow trouts gdmnt smile ).
And yes, there is nothing missing in graphics department in above screenies (but falcon e-pilots aren't that demanding, are they? haha)

#4497290 - 11/15/19 07:34 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Hey Oden, it's a good game I think you'd like it. The crashes are still there unfortunately for me. Fewer, but not gone. The game doesn't load all that quickly, so a CTD is a pain. Not everyone gets them though, so maybe you'll be lucky if you get the game. It probably comes down to the OS/video card/CPU soup and we all have a different one. On the positive side, I did find a fix for the persistent mouse cursor, at least it worked for me. Check this link

https://www.reddit.com/r/PCRedDead/...mouse_cursor_fix_thanks_to_ukingdom9214/

I just cut those four files, removing them while saving them just in case. and the cursor is gone, and I see no residual issues so far. Only if you are using any part of the Epic launcher I reckon, but maybe those are the only folks having the issue.

I mentioned hunting before. Aside from the obvious things like meat and pelts, other parts like claws, horns and antlers can be used for crafting, and there are special parts that can be used to create talismans/trinkets at the fence. Most of them require something from the legendary animals around the map. You'll get a map of their general locations from Hosea I think. And then hunt them down. Each talisman provides some sort of boost, whether it's slower weapon degradation, stored carcasses won't spoil, or longer Dead-Eye time. I set out today for a hunt. Stocked up by packing several outfits on the horse, cooking some game at the campfire and stopping off in Valentine to buy some shotgun ammunition at the gunsmith. I always seem to be running low on shotgun shells. Then I plotted a route to where the legendary buck was shown on the map. I think the game really shines when you sort of come up with your own stuff. Plan adventures and take advantage of the wonderful open world in this game. It's all seamless like Witcher 3. Maybe better, as in W3 you still had to load in the different areas like Velen or Novigrad. In RDR 2 there are no loading screens unless you die, or more likely crash to desktop.

But it shines because the countryside is so striking, so alive. There are travelers, bandits, lawmen, merchants and all sorts of animals along the way. On this trip I passed through some of the mountains and valleys west of Valentine which is just gorgeous. Deer are spooked and dart away, flocks of birds flushed. Trains rumble by in the distance, wary horsemen canter by and might draw their weapon if yours is out. Cross babbling brooks and rivers, up and down through the trails, above then below the snow line. I loved just riding through the countryside in KCD, but I like RDR 2 even better. I was jumped by a group of four bandits but was a little quicker with the shotgun, stopped occasionally to catalog a new type of animal or plant. Shot a bird for it's feathers (craft arrows) and the night's supper which I ate at a camp I set up on a cliff overlooking a huge valley. All of this because I decided to go a hunt a deer. It's such a robust playground. Players that like to come up with their own storylines or roleplay a bit can have a lot of fun in this game.

On the third morning after having left camp down south near Rhodes, I awoke, ate breakfast of canned beans and venison, fed and brushed the horse, and broke down camp. We had spent the night where the legendary buck was shown on the map. To find these legendary animals, you have to use the Dead-Eye ability to search for clues, bits of fur, dung, scratchings and that sort of thing. This gets you on the track and if all goes well, you'll eventually spot the prey. I used the Lancaster repeater on this one, and maybe I should have used the rolling block for more hitting power because it seemed like I got in a couple of headshots that did nothing but scare it away. So I had to hunt it down a few times. Finally I lined up a headhsot actually using Dead-Eye and it dropped, but wounded. I put it out of it's misery, but hesitated a bit, which says something about the sense of immersion, that a video game deer could cause an emotional conundrum like that.. A more powerful rifle may have done the job more cleanly and I suppose that's all part and parcel of becoming a legendary hunter smile

[Linked Image]

Attached Files legendarybuck.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 11/15/19 07:59 PM.

#4497310 - 11/15/19 10:55 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Mark Aisthorpe Offline
Crazy Courier
Mark Aisthorpe  Offline
Crazy Courier

London UK
Thanks DBond
The mouse fix did the trick. No cursor in game but it do'es work in the menu's, with the mouse trails trick it did'nt work in the menu's.

Asus Maximus XI Hero
i9-9900K
MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
Corsair H115i
Corsair RM850X PSU
Phanteks Evolv X
Win 10
#4497353 - 11/16/19 01:34 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Cool Mark, I'm happy it worked for you. Did the trick for me and it's much better without the cursor on the screen. I was able to mostly ignore it, but it's certainly better without it.

I should know better than to type this.... since doing that cursor fix I've had no crashes. Kiss of death I'm sure. But so far so good.

Spent quite a bit of time yesterday hunting legendary animals, and now have the trinkets for the coyote, beaver, elk and buck. The elk was harder to find as he wasn't really close to the location indicated on the map. A right proper hunt it is, just don't focus on the map location maybe.

RDR 2 isn't funny in the way that GTA was, but I laughed at the plight of a stranger I encountered yesterday near St Denis. I was galloping down a trail when I heard someone yelling. RDR is full of these sorts of encounters. It might be a woman whose horse had died and she needs a lift back to town. It could be someone feinting injury to stick you up. Or a man with his foot caught in a trap, or any number of things. You can ignore it or decide to check it out. I usually check it out. This encounter went something like this

Twice Bitten: Help!! Anyone help!! Oh man, I'm gonna die. Help!!

Me: You again? You went and got yourself bitten by a snake again?!

Twice Bitten: I know I know. I'm so stupid. You gotta help me mister. I feel so cold. God it hurts!!

Me: OK then, have some of this (take out healing potion and hand it to him)

Twice Bitten: Oh man, thanks. I gotta start carrying some of this!!

Haha, well I thought it was funny. Same dude I had saved earlier in the game, also from a snake bite. Some people never learn.

#4497362 - 11/16/19 02:58 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee

Originally Posted by DBond

Speaking of GTAO.... I unlocked the golden revolver and the tomahawk/hatchet with GTA's headshot challenges. How do I get them to show in RDR?

For those who had unlocked these weapons in GTAO I've worked this out.

The golden revolver is in the game as the double-action revolver, which you have in your inventory by default. I didn't realize they were one in the same. The stone hatchet is somewhere hidden in the game world, but I don't know where and am yet to find it.

#4497366 - 11/16/19 03:27 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Mark Aisthorpe Offline
Crazy Courier
Mark Aisthorpe  Offline
Crazy Courier

London UK
Well I just had my first crash.
I'v been busy with RL so am only just starting chapter 2.
Taking my first ride into Valentine on the cart with Uncle and the girls, helped a coach driver with a horse that bucked, carried on into town and just as the girls start getting out of the cart bam CTD.
Oh the joys of PC gaming smile

Asus Maximus XI Hero
i9-9900K
MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
Corsair H115i
Corsair RM850X PSU
Phanteks Evolv X
Win 10
#4497427 - 11/17/19 01:28 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Hotshot

brasil
So you guys seem to have fun, enjoying your game and all that....so let me do my job and pour some rain here.

THIS GAME IS BROKEN AND WILL NEVER GET FIXED ! ]

wanna know why ? because the core mechanics is tied to frame rate. That is why the trees are shimmering, they are actually being moved by the wind, that is why storms and day time pass so fast. or why you are always malnourished. i could see them fixing the core mechanics of your character by making it go at different rate than its now, but the rest of the game world ?
no way in hell, another game that suffered this was batman arkham knight, and you guys must remember that fiasco......they stoped all sales and actually redid the whole game in order for it to work at 60 frames on pc.....RDR2 is too big for that.
Enjoy playing at 30fps on pc.as it was intended.

Source https://www.techspot.com/news/82799-red-dead-redemption-2-pc-port-ties-gameplay.html

Original source https://www.reddit.com/r/PCRedDead/comments/dwjp1t/i_think_ive_just_made_a_discovery_about_a_big/

https://www.vg247.com/2019/11/15/red-dead-redemption-2-core-drain-faster-pc-high-framerate/

Last edited by Blade_RJ; 11/17/19 01:30 AM.
#4497467 - 11/17/19 02:37 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Mark Aisthorpe Offline
Crazy Courier
Mark Aisthorpe  Offline
Crazy Courier

London UK
Interesting and not good Blade.
I'm still learning how the game mechanics work and haven't really got my head around this Core thing yet so I'll have to keep an eye on it.

I'm getting an almost solid 60 FPS with everything maxed and VSync on so it's probably affecting me. I just tried running it at 30 FPS by setting VSync to half in game and it's noticeably slower so don't really want to do that, its smooth enough for my eyes at 60 but at 30 no thanks.

They really screwed the pooch on this release, let's hope they pull their finger out and fix it ASAP.

Asus Maximus XI Hero
i9-9900K
MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
Corsair H115i
Corsair RM850X PSU
Phanteks Evolv X
Win 10
#4497515 - 11/17/19 08:40 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
The weather cycle and day night cycle felt too fast for me on the PS4 at times. Is it worse on PC because of higher frame rates?

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4497522 - 11/17/19 09:56 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Well... bought the game tonight, then was horrified to see that the Rockstar servers were telling me it would take 9 hrs to download 112GB!!!... anyone know why they are so #%&*$# slow?

#4497565 - 11/18/19 01:55 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
If this game were just broken I could live with it, but it's all-caps broken as Blade has pointed out, and that's a much more serious state of affairs.

I had read about the time passing being linked to frame rate, but meh, not a big deal for me. I would prefer if days lasted longer, but as long as everything is synched to the day-night cycle what's the big deal? So I eat twice as often as a console player? Days go by twice as fast? Small price to pay for such a great game with such amazing graphics and gameworld. If it had been coded to have time pass at this rate no one would even notice or give a #%&*$#. I wouldn't be surprised if R* patched this or if a mod came out slowing down these things. Despite Blade's histrionics it's not a big deal and far from BROKEN. If anything, PC players get twice the sunrises and sunsets smile

Matter of fact, since applying the mouse cursor fix I've had no more crashes. It's been running great and stable for the past couple of days. I have no complaints.

Troop, did you manage to get it? That's a long wait no doubt, but hopefully you were able to do so.

I'm just about done with Chapter 3 and I am having a great time with RDR 2. Just my cuppa. Great pace to this game, and so much to do. The free-roam is great, and the missions are too, but they are very rigid in the Rockstar style. But it's fun to break up the open world with some scripted mayhem, and it's where you tend to make the big bucks. We robbed a bank last night and my cut was $2,500 which is nice. But I'm already kitted out with just about everything, so I'll see if the money might be useful in Chapter 4. Maybe a new horse and some of the special reinforced kit that comes from the trapper when you turn in legendary pelts and complete challenges.

I said earlier I hadn't felt the need to buy any guns, but I did buy the Varmint rifle (.22 cal). I'm chasing down some of the challenges, and that gun is great for small game. And I got the Springfield rifle at a store free when I found Twice Bitten outside a gunsmith and he was so grateful he paid for it. But the rest of my arsenal has come from story missions or finding the weapon in the game world. I've found the semi-auto shotgun, a pump shotgun, a pirate sword, the rare version of the rolling block and more weapons just playing the game. Money goes for ammunition, fishing lures weapon modification, food for the horse, haircuts and the like. And paying off bounties. And upgrading the camp, which is complete now.

Bunch of ungrateful, lazy bastages in our gang. I feel like I am the only one doing anything for the greater good. I drop $100 cold cash in the kitty and the others might get around to contributing a 40-cent feather. And then they have the temerity to give me sh!t about doing nothing! It's funny how I've formed opinions of all of the gang members and how I turn to avoid certain ones when I see them approaching. I've spent thousands on camp upgrades and I'd reckon the others haven't contributed $300 combined the whole game. R* put so many nice touches in this game, but I wish they had made camp feel more like it's all hands to the pump, instead of the growing resentment I feel looking at this bunch of drunken freeloaders and malcontents. Get to work! smile

#4497571 - 11/18/19 02:29 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: DBond]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Originally Posted by DBond
And then they have the temerity to give me sh!t about doing nothing!

You have a Colt for situations like this smile

Page 6 of 23 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 22 23

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.