Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 22 23
#4496890 - 11/11/19 05:54 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC *** [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
About the differences with the PC version, for anyone wondering if it's worth it after playing on console....

In addition to all the technical enhancements, Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC features new updates to the game’s Story Mode, including:

3 New Bounty Hunter Missions: Apprehend a trio of wanted fugitives - thief Herman Zizendorf, Ex-Confederate Officer Camille de Millemont and gang leader Bart Cavanaugh.
2 New Gang Hideouts: Take on the deadly Del Lobos gang at Gaptooth Breach and Solomon’s Folly.
2 New Treasure Maps: Hunt for treasures across the new Landmarks of Riches and The Elemental Trail maps for Gold Bars and other rewards.
New “To The Ends of The Earth” Mission
A host of new Weapons, Horses and Trinkets to collect.

Plus, Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC includes a new Photo Mode, with an assortment of tools to unlock the beauty of the frontier in Story Mode. Capture images with free form camera movement and add Filters, Stickers or Text then upload them to Social Club to share with the community.

So it's more than a few new missions as I said earlier.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4496912 - 11/11/19 11:05 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
After a very terrible start I was finally able to play it this weekend.

For the first two days the launcher would crash before the game would start and I found no fix that worked for me. The next couple of days the servers were busy and I couldn't log in.

The game is good and it runs much better than it did on my xbox. There's also tons of graphics options you can tweak to get it to look and/or run as well as you want it to. For the most part the story, writing and characters are all done very well. Can I nitpick every little thing? Sure, but I won't as it's overall a fun and enjoyable time.

I haven't seen anything new yet since I'm just taking my sweet time in Chapter 2 just getting into bar fights, exploring the map, hunting, and getting into shootouts with bounty hunters and O'Driscalls.

A few friends of mine upgraded their video cards over the weekend and reported some weird changes with their graphic options. Apparently Rockstar has the graphics are different for each video card. I don't mean the defaults are lower on an older card, but say medium on a 1070 and medium on a 2080 are very different looking with the newer cards giving much greater detail despite having the same settings. I think that's part of the reason many reviews online give it crappy reviews for how it runs on different hardware. It seems and high or ultra settings are there to tax your graphics card, no matter what card it is.

#4496914 - 11/11/19 11:48 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
This looks like a great game. I like RPGs but don't like a lot of combat. I played Mass Effect games and Fallout games on the 'easy' level because I enjoy exploring and the story more than endless firefights Can you set the combat level to 'easy" or 'infrequent' or something like that ?

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4496919 - 11/12/19 01:10 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

This video goes into depth regarding different PC graphic settings Vs an XBOX One X,i own RDR2 on PS4 but im hoping to grab the PC version soon.
I found the video very clear and interesting hope it may help some of you guys with your settings.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4496921 - 11/12/19 01:21 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: No105_Archie]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

Originally Posted by No105_Archie
This looks like a great game. I like RPGs but don't like a lot of combat. I played Mass Effect games and Fallout games on the 'easy' level because I enjoy exploring and the story more than endless firefights Can you set the combat level to 'easy" or 'infrequent' or something like that ?

Combat is extremely common and overdone - hundreds of enemies overall and 'wave based' combat encounters a frequent chore (and that was just watching a Let's play)...
The story is engaging enough... but that isn't 'enough' and conflict and violence are so common that they seemed meaningless when the story makes a point of making a point about it.

I think the difficulty can be set lower, but you'd still end up murdering many hundreds of people throughout the many chapters of play.

#4496926 - 11/12/19 02:57 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I think you'd like it Archie. Its a great story, some excellent characters and a wonderful world to live in for awhile. Combat is necessary but I wouldn't say its over done unless we're speaking in terms of story missions with multiple levels and when crap hits the fan. Random encounters are a lot of fund and feel dynamic. I once got stopped by two highwaymen type robbers under a covered bridge when riding through. You can also run away from trouble while not in a story mission. Hiding from bounty hunters is fun. Its a relaxing world map to explore too. When I had finished RDR, I would still play free roam in the game and just ride around on horseback after a hard day at work while listening to my own Western catalog and things like Jeremiah Johnson soundtrack. RDR 2 is even bigger with a larger variety of environments so it bodes well for that type of relaxing free roam play. Animations and physics are excellent and its very much designed to be slower paced interaction with the world. Movement is quite slower than typical games but for a guy like me, its great. I already soak up most game worlds and take my time and this game is basically designed around a "take your time" type attitude. I suppose its irritated some people but I loved it. Everything feels heftier and weightier and more grounded. Arthur's basic walk is even a moseying pace.

Keep in mind the game leads you along for an hour or two before you can free roam and quest at your leisure.

Thanks Dbond for that PC list. That's nice that the PC version includes a few extra bounties.

I'm like you DBond and DM with regards to maps. I did the very same thing in Witcher 3 and RDR2. I turned all HUD elements completely off and try to use the map and my own memory of the territory and land marks to get around. RDR2's HUD is well done so that with the touch of one button, you can quickly bring up the HUD that then dynamically disappears after a moment.

Last edited by Coot; 11/12/19 03:02 AM.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4496932 - 11/12/19 04:08 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: wormfood]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by wormfood
Apparently Rockstar has the graphics are different for each video card. I don't mean the defaults are lower on an older card, but say medium on a 1070 and medium on a 2080 are very different looking with the newer cards giving much greater detail despite having the same settings

I was thinking along the same lines and wondering if R* had been a little too clever for their own good. Did you read this was the case somewhere?

If there is a difficulty setting I missed it. There really is no way to go through the game without some fairly heavy combat action. However these set piece sort of sequences are mostly main story missions. It would be possible to get quite a lot of gameplay out of everything else, as Coot said. But to move forward through the game's story combat is required as Lieste noted, and advancing the story unlocks a lot of the best abilities, gear and horses. There is a 'Dead-Eye' ability that gives you a limited amount of bullet-time, so you can usually pop several of the bad guys before they can even aim if you want. And if you fail any of these missions a few times you should have the option to skip the sequence and just get on with it.

The combat feels pretty good though. The weapons fire slow enough and at times inaccurately enough that it feels right, with men ducking and popping up from cover and not just getting shot dead straight away, though the AI isn't all too challenging unless attacking in large groups. I like the guns, they sound good, belch smoke and have great animations. I'm partial to the side-by-side shotgun, dual-wielding revolvers and a repeater, though I have yet to see most of the better rifles. Most of the heavier combat sequences have allies along with you too. So while combat is required, and can be heavy at times, it will never be something that could stop a player from advancing.

Coot hit on a lot of good points, and there really is a ton of stuff to do in free roam, just like GTA 5, but like he said, more leisurely. Side missions, random encounters (many of which involve no conflict), and all sorts of activities. Just today I pulled this Smallie out of the Dakota River biggrin

[Linked Image]

Attached Files smallie.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 11/12/19 04:41 AM.

#4496973 - 11/12/19 05:52 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Which your picture reminds me Dbond, the water effects/physics/dynamics look really good in the game. Especially when you find a little quiet cove where the water is still but there are insects buzzing above and you can see the water rippling with the movement and jumping of fish. I took a video of this somewhere. It also looks great when you ride down a road and ford a river in a flyby camera mode.

#4496974 - 11/12/19 06:02 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

daym DBond, congrats on that catch!
smile

#4496975 - 11/12/19 06:05 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
i did plenty of river/stream fishing in Far Cry 5. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4496985 - 11/12/19 07:44 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: theOden]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by theOden
daym DBond, congrats on that catch!
smile

Thanks Oden, I threw him back. Gotta preserve the fishery for future generations ya know smile

The fishing is pretty basic, but it's there, and lots of different types to catch. Like Coot said it's nice standing alongside a lake or a river, with the fish rising, and darting about. It's great at sunrise, with the low sun shafts piercing the trees, a mist hanging and very still. Atmospheric. Catch a few and take 'em back to camp and fry them up or release them for another day.

#4496997 - 11/12/19 10:10 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Sounds like RDR2 has some of the elements from the climate/camping mods for Skyrim. I really liked those on that game, it helps to really role play and "live the life" of your character.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4497001 - 11/12/19 11:20 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
it helps to really role play and "live the life" of your character.

It does indeed. It's designed in such a way that all of this is optional. You can eat, but don't need to, or sleep, and still don't need to, these are just ways to fill your meters or skip time. There is a body weight mechanic, and I have been 'underweight' pretty much the whole time, but no hunger mechanic. So for those that want to live the life, there are lots of options, and for those who couldn't care less, they can ignore it entirely as long as the health, stamina and Dead-Eye meters are maintained. Pretty tight design if you ask me, leaving the importance of all these options up to each player, and never forcing any 'realism' stuff on you. Even the most important things, like being dressed for the weather, aren't terribly punishing. But you'll still be changing your clothes regularly as you explore the map. By designing it this way, R* has made it so it will appeal to all sorts of players with plenty of latitude on how each player approaches it.

I've managed to reach chapter 3, when the gang wore out our welcome and needed to pick up stakes and move down the road a spell. Bought a new horse, a brindle thoroughbred at the Strawberry stables which unlocked for the new chapter. I have a good warhorse, but wanted something faster too. Just need to bond with this one. I wanted a good getaway ride, some of the lawmen have fast horses no doubt. Bought a bandolier, and lots of improved ammunition. Obtained a Lancaster repeater through the story and it's the first gun I upgraded significantly, with the accuracy and range upgrades (sights and scope) and plan to use it often. There is plenty to spend your money on in this game, but I haven't felt the need to buy any guns.

#4497005 - 11/12/19 11:56 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
That's just how I like to play it in Skyrim. Bonuses for playing it out, but not penalized for not doing it if you just don't have the time or get tired of it.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4497025 - 11/13/19 11:06 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Challenge: carry a bowl of soup across the map. Watch out for the invisible soup barrier.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4497031 - 11/13/19 12:32 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
A few more screens. The camera mode is fun to play with, although all the stuff I am posting is unfiltered and un-retouched. But you could spend a lot of time with this. As a result, RDR 2 is one of the most photogenic games ever. The quality of the screenshots from the player base is impressive using these tools.

Here I approach a stranger I encountered in my travels. He just wanted a drink and I happened to have some rotgut on me smile

[Linked Image]

Here's my new horse, a fast brindle thoroughbred I named Captain Jack

[Linked Image]

A cool shot after a storm

[Linked Image]

Downtown Valentine, a typical western brawling town, with Storm Cloud, my sturdy warhorse, in the foreground. He's not so fleet afoot, but doesn't frighten and takes everything in stride. A lot of mud and blood has been spilled on this street biggrin

[Linked Image]

Attached Files approachcamp.jpgbrindle.jpgcoolsky.jpgvalentine.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 11/13/19 03:55 PM.

#4497036 - 11/13/19 01:39 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: DM]  
Mark Aisthorpe Offline
Crazy Courier
Mark Aisthorpe  Offline
Crazy Courier

London UK
Originally Posted by DM
Challenge: carry a bowl of soup across the map. Watch out for the invisible soup barrier.

HAHA that was epic and the naration was 10/10

Asus Maximus XI Hero
i9-9900K
32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
Corsair H115i
Corsair RM850X PSU
Phanteks Evolv X
Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
Win 10
#4497055 - 11/13/19 04:43 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
Unlike Far Cry 5, not everything is trying to kill you in RDR2. Coyotes all run from you. Gators usually just ignore you unless you're either swimming in the water or nearly stepping on them. If a pack of wolves attack you, they'll usually break off after you kill the first two or three. Black bears can be scared away.
The only animals that really seem to attack you are cougars (usually only if they can ambush you) and grizzlies. Overall most of the wildlife seems to behave much more realistically than any other open world game.

#4497111 - 11/14/19 03:05 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Yeah cougars are still the quick and nasty predator they were in the first game lol. I had one get me while in a dark cave mission and it was creepy. Happens so fast. There's a chance at giving them a fight and survival but it can be a slim chance if they catch you unawares.

Dbond, what is the camera mode you're talking about. On the PS4 you have a little box brownie camera in your equipment to take pictures but the game never had the increasingly common, nice camera mode that pauses the game and lets you move around the game engine creating neat pictures. If the PC version came with that I wonder if it was ever added to the PS4 version in an update? That's one thing I missed from the PS4 version because I love using those cameras especially for admiring character modeling and objects and environments in the game engine.

I also liked the weapon maintenance mechanic. It added just enough strategy considerations that if you totally ignored it and often ride through water and what have you, you could find yourself in a gunfight and wondering why the heck are the controls not working and my weapons not firing only to remember you'd let them go too far and they start failing you at the least opportune times.

#4497127 - 11/14/19 12:32 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: Coot]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Coot

Dbond, what is the camera mode you're talking about.

From the quote above, about PC additions...

"Plus, Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC includes a new Photo Mode, with an assortment of tools to unlock the beauty of the frontier in Story Mode. Capture images with free form camera movement and add Filters, Stickers or Text then upload them to Social Club to share with the community."

You can pause the action at any time with escape key, then hit F6 to enter photo mode. There, you can freely move the camera around the frozen scene to take shots, and there are a number of filters and other editing tools to use.

Page 5 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 22 23

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.