Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 598 of 608 1 2 596 597 598 599 600 607 608
#4493514 - 10/18/19 07:28 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Far too quiet in here so I thought I'd just pass by and rattle the shutters. Rain is present in abundance with just a few separate days of dry spells, sometimes not the entire day but only part of the day.

Situational awareness is a good thing to develop and exercise as I found out (yet again) the other day, where a van was coming out of a parking space with very bad visibility, perpendicular to me. The moment I saw it's nose appear in front of me I yelled and hollered to make the driver of the van aware that I was coming and he could not yet see me. I was starting to take evasive action. between my evasive action and the driver stopping his blind progress into the road I was travelling, I barely made it past the parking space exit safely. Too much depended on luc, in that situation, I must admit.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4493566 - 10/19/19 04:40 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

It's good to see you, MG!

Glad you rattled the shutters.
It does sound like you and your heart had a little more excitement and exercise than planned.
That you are in one piece is a tribute to a good and quick reaction in your part.
But I will never mind a bit of good luck to help. Matter of fact, I probably depend on it.

The local concensus here is that "they" are all taking their pills and sometimes overdosing.
I do maintain that it is in the water and wonder if it is a side effect of the added flouride.
At least that is what we tell each other on the safe return from an outing.

It does not help that the local population has increased at 20% in the last ten years.
The road construction and planning has simply not kept up with it. Nor the water or the other utilities nor the housing construction.
I suppose it is "progress."
But the under construction signs are everywhere and yes, inadequate and sometimes wrong warning signs do not help.

Meanwhile we do hope you do wear adequate and visible protection on your rides.

I'll throw a shout-out here to our good friend Roger and hope we see him back in good form here soon.

#4493915 - 10/21/19 03:15 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all:

A little excitement in town last night.
A tornado hit south of me but close to old neighborhood and made a west to east swath through the upper side of Dallas.
Some 90,000 still without electricity. Lot of trees down and property damage.
Thankfully, no known fatalities.

Son was in a hangar south of Dallas with car and an airplane he would be flying later when he checked weather and he wisely elected to stay put.
He was delayed on the way home by blockage due to a semi overturned on highway. Injuries, but no fatalities.
The worst was inconvenience in manually opening garage door due to power failure.

Hopefully Bill Grant and others living in area were as lucky.

This morning the sun is shining and temperature in the fifties heading for the seventies.

#4494716 - 10/26/19 05:23 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Unfortunately missed the local air show featuring the Blue Angels last weekend.

I may be old Air Force and do enjoy the Thunderbirds, but will admit that in the last few years I seem to have enjoyed the Blue Angels, the US Naval Aviation demonstration team a little bit more.

The Air Force team backed off on a couple of maneuvers after a couple of losses in practice some fifteen years ago.
It certainly does not mean they are any better or worse pilots in either team or any service.
They are all dedicated professionals that do a tremendous job in bringing joy to the general population and dreams to future pilots.

I believe, and am tickled that if the rumors are true, both the above-mentioned teams have at least one female member.
It's about time. There, I've said it.
Those of you forum members with daughters can still dream of having them fly you around in your dotage and hearing them tell your grandkids not to touch grampa's flight simulator while he naps. biggrin

On the good news side, just found out the CAF, the old Confederate Air Force, is putting on its World War II plus civilian flying air show this weekend at Executive Airport just south of Dallas.
The weather will be cool, with a bright breeze today, but tomorrow looks great and slightly warmer.

Happy flying and driving. Stay safe.

#4494807 - 10/27/19 10:17 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Fittop, you are spoilt for choice when it comes to Air Shows it seems! The only thing I was thinking about attending is a bicycle exhibition but in light of last year's disappointment and reports that this year's effort is going to be even worse I think I'll pass.

Finally we have switched back to standard time this last night and the weather is not decidedly cold but windy and or wet, so little bicycling has been achieved in the last few days. My body also feels like it needs a break.

Roger has been unusually quiet this past period. Hopefully everything is alright.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4494893 - 10/27/19 10:24 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Agree that it's nice to have a choice on which air show to attend.
Since they are now run by private enterprises, perhaps non-profit, they are just not getting the coverage in the media.
I would guess their attendance is down, but I am sure more exposure would increase those numbers.

Is the cost for advertising just too expensive? Maybe most folks have gotten too blassé?

To each his own, but I consider a man-made machine twisting in the air more interesting than something on a hand-held device.
OK, I have been known to murmur something about the parking mess leaving an air show too.

Your consistency in biking is admired here, MG. I should be doing at least one tenth of what you are doing.

We go through the silly time reference process next week. It's beyond my comprehension why it differs.
Perhaps it follows the dullheads that refuse to use a universal metric system?

I had also been concerned about Roger and had texted a week ago and found him down with something.
A message from him a couple of days ago stated he was "Hanging in, Very tired but OK."

I am hoping to see his name here soon bringing this sheet to standards again.
He should know he's missed, but I would not want to give him a big head telling him that. winkngrin

#4494970 - 10/28/19 02:01 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Gents,

This morning we saw the first frost of late autumn which brought many dying leaves down from their precarious grasp. Much scraping and chipping going on down in the street as all those unfortunate motorists prepared for their journey to work.
On the credit side, it is a bright blue, crisp and sunny day.

The kids are off school this half-term week and with Christmas looming will be noting what could be available on their presents lists. 'M' will be 11 in a fortnight...it is all going too fast.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4495220 - 10/30/19 03:02 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Kids do have that good habit of growing taller and usually turning into better human beings.
The apparent growing eating capacity is something else that I would also attest to.
Congratulation to you, Old Dux, since apparently there is one that loves music in your area.

There is a private message in both McGonigle's and your inbox pertaining to Roger.
I suspect they are checked as often as mine.
But I now have permission to send a Big Hello from him.
He has been under the weather lately, which explains his unusually long absence.
But he does say he is feeling better and sends his greetings to all.

Mother Nature has been active here bringing the rain that we wished for last month.
The wind and cold is determined to also bring down the turning leaves to use as car skates.
But it fooled itself with lighting killing most of the trees in my yard so I'll be content to rake the neighbors' dried ones from my area.

Think I will also check the heft of the grounding wire from the antenna before lighting gets the same idea.

#4495240 - 10/30/19 04:57 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

We woke up to the coldest October morning for seven years, this morning. A couple of Celsius below freezing. Apart from Monday which grew greyer and greyer as the day progressed, ending in a shower, we have enjoyed clear skies yesterday and more cloudy today. Temperatures warrant neoprene overshoes worn over the bike shoes. After a weekend of feeling a bit tired I've hit the bike again and after riding three consecutive days I am now once more tired, albeit it is a natural tiredness.

With my phone I snapped a couple of white cows enjoying the early winter but missed to small rams going head to head in a battle of the antlers. When I passed them again a little later they were back to their favourite spot on the tin roof huddled close together looking exactly like old pals sharing a quiet moment.

Fittop, at times I have to remind myself that young people occasionally grow into somewhat decent adults. I would even be so bold as to claim that it happened to me. Thank you for the pm and the greetings from Roger, Fittop. I'll reply shortly.

Attached Files IMG_20191030_132132774.jpg
Last edited by McGonigle; 10/30/19 05:05 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4495356 - 10/31/19 02:09 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Good morning from Northeastern Texas where it was 80 degrees F last week, but it's now a couple of degrees below freezing.

That does not raise any sympathy from those in Colorado or places further North where the goal is seeing above zero F. and something clearing the snow off the porch and sidewalks.
But I've heard it in Maine as well as here: Don't like the weather? Wait a bit."

It's nice not to be pre-flighting an aircraft in this cold wind. Or checking armament in unfriendly areas.
A thought to our men and women who are doing that, and anyone away from home.

Tonight will be the one in which little and even adult humans dress in cute and silly customs and come knocking on your door.
We'll be ready for them.

Happy Halloween to all!

#4495816 - 11/03/19 10:08 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Hi, Chaps,

Only just seen Jens message about JRT.

I have just sent him what I hope will be a comforting email and expressed my hopes that he will soon be back in the squadron mess, running up his bar tab.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4495863 - 11/03/19 07:06 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

I missed what has happened with JRT !

Can someone fill me in ?

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4495911 - 11/04/19 05:53 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Hope the weekend was good to all and some candy is left to enjoy.
The debris from the nine or thirteen tornadoes that hit the area last week is still being collected and homes being protected from coming rains.
The good news is that there has been no direct fatalities due to the tornadoes.

OG, I had checked on JRT after he went on an unusual leave from here.
He is down for a bit, probably being cared for by nurses rather than at home. (Still unconfirmed,)

Apparently non-cancer, but down to one functioning kidney.
So he may be a bit coming back but apparently feeling better than before.

He last sent a Big Hello to all, stating he'll be back as soon as able (That was ...Thursday?)

I have a message down to him Sunday, but he has not answered yet.

I'll pass on good news as soon as I get some.
I'm sure he's missing his cat's serenades but will catch us up ASAP.

#4495949 - 11/04/19 03:00 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

FT, thanks for the update. Really pulling for JRT.

I may send him an email to check on him.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4496507 - 11/08/19 04:01 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Good news from Roger (JRT) !

All this via text. Won't be calling him yet because I don't know his routine times.

He's out of the hospital and in physical rehab. Not home yet.
Says he's trying to get used to salt and sugar free food.

To me that means a lot of work. New routines, new folks.
I'm sure it's needed work when one is close to helpless and hurting as one recovers.

But all in all, one step closer to home.

I know we are all pulling with him, not just for him.

#4496641 - 11/09/19 04:52 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Glad to learn that JRT is progressing. Thank you for keeping us updated Fittop. Avoiding salt and sugar in food though is very difficult as I have learned from reading the small stuff printed om the packages. There is salt and sugar in virtually everything, I suppose having to avoid the esses altogether would require a special diet with everything made from scratch.

After some days on the couch, excepting a few longer walks, I ventured out on the bike today, despite the weather being only so-so. Broke something in the bike's shifter and had to limp home, just to cut myself in the finger (minor cut after all) while chopping tomatoes for Dinner's pasta sauce. I think I'll have some tea and then an early night. duck

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4497019 - 11/13/19 05:53 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

As most all know, it was Veteran's Day in the US yesterday.
It was a quiet day here, the local parades and memorials were held indoors due to the weather.
Nature has been a bit harsh here lately with temperatures below freezing; down to 24 yesterday and again tonight, staying below freezing for some 14 hours. That's hard of animals, pipes, machinery and humans.
For comparison, normal highs would be at a melodious 70. But we managed 38F.

The lady who gently used an explorer on my teeth at the dental office mentioned she preferred much warmer temperatures, and I mentioned beach areas.
I will blame the censoring of my train of thought after that on the nitrous oxide.
I would also blame the fall I took on leaving on not removing the use of oxide quickly enough, but it could have been the train of thought, the cold or the bumpy terrain under my feet.
I had to clean a few dry leaves from my coat afterwards.
At any rate, I sat in the car long enough afterwards to ensure I was OK to drive.

Best piece of news: Heard from our friend JRT!

He does mention he'll remain in physical rehab some ten days longer. No laptop, and lettering on phone too small/fuzzy to read yet.
I have been texting him, so as to not disturb therapy or meal or activity, but apparently the dislike for texting is mutual.
I would call but would hate to intrude in his activities.
We'll work out something.
The good thing is that he is progressing.

#4497508 - 11/17/19 07:49 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Nothing much to report except I'm keeping the Homefires burning.

Fittop. Thank you for the update.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4497511 - 11/17/19 08:07 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

Glad our chief scribe is recovering. Wondering if he got my email of a few weeks ago.

Don't suppose he could have read it if internet access is fairly restricted.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4497771 - 11/20/19 04:19 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Not much to report here. Temperatures ranging from thirties to seventies.
The sun is now hiding; a prelude to rain and colder temperatures. Should have a couple of inches of rain before the weekend.
It'll be enough to wet the leaves that cover suburban areas and help car go on a thrilling ride until stopped. Hopefully without dire consequences.

Haven't talked or communicated with JRT yet. Hope to soon and will update.

It seems some folks have gotten Windows 10 to get along with BOB2?
I will be monitoring 33lima and others' contributions. Thank you guys.

The Flight Simulator 2020 looks promising.
I wonder what the trade off with those of us that have gotten P3D and the assorted enhancements?

Page 598 of 608 1 2 596 597 598 599 600 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.