Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4494341 - 10/24/19 09:35 AM New player questions.  
Pruciak Offline
Pruciak  Offline

Hi, I recently bought woff pe. Loving the simulation so far but I have couple of questions, problems:
1. I can't see dots when I have labels enabled. When I select names of the labels the names show up. When I select only dots I see nothing. Am I doing something wrong?
2. I bound zoom keys to my HOTAS buttons but it doesent work fluently. In order to zoom in maximum distance i have to press the button several times. I would like it to zoom all the way when I keep the button pressed like the way it works on the keyboard. Is there a way to change it?
3. Game runs about in 100 fps but rudder aileron and elevator moves like in 30 fps when I move it, is it normal?
4. I cant see the tracers of the gun so clearly like in some videos that I watched on youtube. Is it because I choose incendiary rounds? It looks like the tracers quickly disappera after they show up near the end of the barrel.
I think thats all, thx for your replies smile

#4494359 - 10/24/19 01:00 PM Re: New player questions. [Re: Pruciak]  
mvp7 Offline
mvp7  Offline

1) The dots only show at relatively short distance compared to full labels.
2) How exactly did you bind the key to what HOTAS? In some keybinding softwares there is a difference between single press and hold when pressing on the HOTAS button.
3) WOFF is based on cfs3 engine from early 00's. It was never really designed to run at FPS higher than 60 and In general you can get uneven performance when running the game at displayed fps significantly higher than 60.
4) There's no ingame settings for tracers but there are mods that change how the tracers look. Not sure how they are working with the PE though.

#4494360 - 10/24/19 01:07 PM Re: New player questions. [Re: Pruciak]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

2) Where you've bound your joystick button for zoom in/out I believe there's an advanced setting (not at my PC at the minute to double check). Default I think is set to 0,change it up to 2 and the zoom will be much smoother. Il try help more if required when I get home from work later. Best of luck.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4494370 - 10/24/19 03:18 PM Re: New player questions. [Re: Pruciak]  
Pruciak Offline
Pruciak  Offline

2) I have TM Warthog and used Target software to map my keys, took me an hour to set it up but now the zoom works the way that I want. And I can also use the hat for trimming.
3) Tried playing the game at 60 fps but the animations of ailerons, rudders and elevators are still like in 30 fps, guess its the engine. Also at 60 fps i got some blue triangles at the terrain so I'm gonna play uncapped fps.
Thank you for the help!

#4494372 - 10/24/19 03:22 PM Re: New player questions. [Re: Pruciak]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Hi Priciak for No 3.. Why not try Panama Reds Blue triangle/ Fps mod it's in the mod section of this forum mate..either set up using JSGME or backup the overwritten files and replace. cheers

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4494386 - 10/24/19 04:31 PM Re: New player questions. [Re: mvp7]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by mvp7

I am going to say the opposite ... on my system dot labels do not show at close ranges but only at long range when the game would normally show you nothing (no airplane on screen as it is too far away to register even a pixel on your screen). Once the game starts drawing an aircraft then the dot label disappears. I have dot labels set at 5000 (metres?) in workshops so will see a black dot in the sky for a plane at about 5 km, and then when it gets to about 2.5 km from me I see it switch to a coloured dot (usually greyish) and that is the game now actually drawing the plane on the screen.

#4494387 - 10/24/19 04:47 PM Re: New player questions. [Re: 77_Scout]  
mvp7 Offline
mvp7  Offline

Originally Posted by 77_Scout

I am going to say the opposite ... on my system dot labels do not show at close ranges but only at long range when the game would normally show you nothing (no airplane on screen as it is too far away to register even a pixel on your screen). Once the game starts drawing an aircraft then the dot label disappears. I have dot labels set at 5000 (metres?) in workshops so will see a black dot in the sky for a plane at about 5 km, and then when it gets to about 2.5 km from me I see it switch to a coloured dot (usually greyish) and that is the game now actually drawing the plane on the screen.

I haven't used the dots or labels that much other than accidentally cycling through them, but it has seemed that text labels are rendered at extremely high distances while I can't see the dots at all when switching from label to dot.

It could be the dots are so subtle that I just can't see them.

#4494455 - 10/25/19 03:26 AM Re: New player questions. [Re: 77_Scout]  
Pruciak Offline
Pruciak  Offline

Originally Posted by 77_Scout
Originally Posted by mvp7

I can confirm that, it seems that dots show above the set distance if an aircraft comes closer then they disappear. It would also seam that the distance is measured in meters. I think they function as a spotting aid at long distances.

Last edited by Pruciak; 10/25/19 03:28 AM.
#4494466 - 10/25/19 07:24 AM Re: New player questions. [Re: Pruciak]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Yes, the distance is in meters.

#4494708 - 10/26/19 04:40 PM Re: New player questions. [Re: Pruciak]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

You can also adjust label distances in the workshop, and even adjust the " dot" and make it something else editing ui.xml as others have modded before.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4494711 - 10/26/19 04:52 PM Re: New player questions. [Re: Pruciak]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

One I like is to change the

<Dots line

replace the "." with "΅" which is quite cool looks a bit like an aircraft at distance: ΅

So the new line could look like
<Dots on="n" symbol="΅" colour="0xFF505050" fontSize="VerySmall" backgroundScreen="n" dropShadow="n" maxRange_met="4000"/>

You can get that one from Character map in windows. Select the character then copy, then carefully paste into place in between the " "

Always backup your original ui.xml file somewhere safe,. it you break it then replace with the backup.

Attached Files 2019-10-26 (1).png
Last edited by Polovski; 10/26/19 04:55 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4494712 - 10/26/19 04:56 PM Re: New player questions. [Re: Pruciak]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

PS moving this to technical, it's not a FAQ.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4494827 - 10/27/19 01:32 PM Re: New player questions. [Re: Pruciak]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted by Pruciak

4. I cant see the tracers of the gun so clearly like in some videos that I watched on youtube. Is it because I choose incendiary rounds? It looks like the tracers quickly disappera after they show up near the end of the barrel.

If you've been watching any of my videos, I use a tracer mod exactly for the reason at the end of your quote...

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4494945 - 10/28/19 11:11 AM Re: New player questions. [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Pruciak Offline
Pruciak  Offline

Originally Posted by Rick_Rawlings
Originally Posted by Pruciak

If you've been watching any of my videos, I use a tracer mod exactly for the reason at the end of your quote...

Yes I have been watching them, using the mod also and got not historical but nice tracers ☺️

#4495321 - 10/31/19 09:28 AM Re: New player questions. [Re: Pruciak]  
vossiewulf Offline
vossiewulf  Offline

United States
Instead of starting a new thread, I'll tack my returned new player questions here -

1) I also see no tracers, I noticed that right away like Pruciak. I get a smallish barrel flash and nothing else. Really need to fix that, what will I do without tracers?? (A: miss. A lot.)

2) My TrackIR 4 isn't working in WOFF. It's working in other games. I start it up and calibrate it, then start WOFF, but I never get the blue light "lock" that says it's in a TrackIR-enabled game. I didn't see a setting for enabling TrackIR, but may have missed it. I looked at the recently-posted TrackIR tips but it's just tips on making it work well, not tips for making a non-working one work.

3) I'm getting some stuttering, smooth frame rate followed by a stutters for a couple seconds, then back to smooth. This is a new machine that's i9/9900k+RTX2080, so definitely not an issue of not having enough rendering HP.

4) It's crashing consistently, I have yet to actually exit the game normally. A couple times from the UI just clicking on buttons, twice in flight with nothing going on, and once after I crashed to end a flight. I'm Win10/64, do I need to run in compatibility mode? I looked around a bit for a stability/graphics kind of FAQ, couldn't find anything. If there's something that explains what I should do, please just point me there and I'll go read.

And I'll repeat my happiness at seeing WOFF not only still around, but apparently thriving, and the never-sleeping Polovski still charging ahead.

#4495322 - 10/31/19 09:34 AM Re: New player questions. [Re: Pruciak]  
vossiewulf Offline
vossiewulf  Offline

United States
Ah, I missed the suggestion on the mod for the tracers. I will try that, if that doesn't work will come back and ask again.

#4496585 - 11/09/19 12:10 AM Re: New player questions. [Re: Polovski]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Polovski
One I like is to change the

<Dots line

replace the "." with "΅" which is quite cool looks a bit like an aircraft at distance: ΅

So the new line could look like
<Dots on="n" symbol="΅" colour="0xFF505050" fontSize="VerySmall" backgroundScreen="n" dropShadow="n" maxRange_met="4000"/>

You can get that one from Character map in windows. Select the character then copy, then carefully paste into place in between the " "

Always backup your original ui.xml file somewhere safe,. it you break it then replace with the backup.

Hi Mark;

I noticed the character you recommend is "Unicode" and so when you try to save the ui.xml file which is ANSI you are prompted that this is not possible unless you save the file as Unicode. If you save it as Unicode WOFF gives you a popup saying the ui.xml cannot be written to.
How are you making it work on your end?

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.