Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 22 23
#4496529 - 11/08/19 05:23 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC *** [Re: WangoTango]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4496530 - 11/08/19 05:28 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'm not touching a thing Master. I did gather the courage to actually look at my settings. Nothing helpful for others at this point, but one thing that struck me is my video adapter is shown selected as "0" instead of GTX 1660 Ti. Probably doesn't mean anything but I felt it seemed odd. With it running so smoothly I am not keen to make any changes but if anyone wants to know specifically what one or more of my settings are just ask.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4496531 - 11/08/19 05:30 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Are you saying DBond that you are not one of those OCD tweakers who like to spend more time tweaking settings than actually playing the games?

What's wrong with you???? neaner

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4496533 - 11/08/19 05:33 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
If it ain't broke PM......

#4496639 - 11/09/19 04:34 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
But it is broke, in a sense, and that's the CTD problem I'm having. At least one per hour. In response, I've begun doubling my save rate, and do so after any measurable progress. I'm not losing much of that progress when it crashes as a result, but time is lost, as the game needs to be re-launched of course, and the save re-loaded.

No way I can see to know what's causing it, the error message points to nothing. At least there's a re-try option that skips the need to re-launch the launcher. I suspect it is video related. Matter of fact, I wonder if it's the same thing that folks see when they describe pauses. Because when it crashes, that's what happens, the video screeches to a halt, It slows, then stops, then crashes to desktop. I wonder if the folks seeing these pauses have it recover and carry on, resulting in a pause, but for me it does not recover and crashes? I'm tempted to update video drivers to see if it helps, but it could cause other problems and frankly I don't want to mess with how smoothly it runs. Pick your poison perhaps, CTDs or poor performance. Of course it could all work out well too, with still-smooth play and less or no CTDs.

But it does speak in a round-about way for how good the game is that I'm willing to deal with it to keep playing. Usually I'd consider shelving it until a patch, but with this game I just want to keep going. Yesterday I was returning from that expedition up in to the Grizzlies and decided to take a route through the river valley to see what's around and reveal more of the map. As I cantered down a trail I spotted another trail leading off the main in to the forest. Wondering what I might find I came across a farmstead, went inside, and was greeted by a lady who said something like 'so there you are, Was wondering when you'd get around to it. Put it down in the cellar'

Lot's of games these days have this sort of mistaken identity schtick. Of course i went with it and went down the ladder and did a bit of looting. The woman called out 'what's taking you so long? Best not be up to no good' or something like that. So time was ticking when I spotted a gun case, and you can't pass that up! Cracked it open to find a semi-auto shotgun (which I had really wanted but couldn't afford at the gun shop). It was in poor condition, but I took it and made my way back up the ladder. The woman started saying that now she recognized me and I best hit the pike and hey that's my gun! But I was already hopping on my horse and making my getaway. A ways down the trail I pulled up and got out the gun oil and gave it a proper once-over, restoring it to fine condition, as it now gleamed in the sunlight. The game is full of moments like this, random encounters and emergent stories.

And the detail is amazing. For example I noticed Arthur's pupils dilate according to the ambient light. And something as trivial as the ruts made by a passing stage coach. In most games these, if they exist at all, will be a uniform depth and appearance. But in RDR 2 they form according to how firm the ground is. Where it's softer, the ruts will be deep, but will vary as the wheels move over drier ground, where the ruts are less deep or non existent. It looks absolutely real, and this sort of attention to detail is everywhere you look.

#4496640 - 11/09/19 04:49 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
archermav Offline
archermav  Offline

Black Country, England.
RDR2 was probably my favourite ever game on PS4. Just trying to decide if I want to buy it again on PC.

#4496643 - 11/09/19 05:05 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That's a tough call archermav. I'm not sure if the improved graphics would be enough to justify it. That's down to each player. There is a little more content, the PC got a few new missions, so there's that. Maybe that, plus the ability to use the mouse might be enough to warrant it? With the current technical state of the game maybe best to wait. And the mod scene is kicking in to gear in case that appeals.

But for those who have never played it and who don't fly off in to a rage when things don't go smoothly, I think it's an absolute must-play sort of game.

#4496648 - 11/09/19 05:37 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Congrats DBond,

I played RDR2 to some extent on PS4 and loved the environment but had to hand the disc over to my oldest kid after my usual PS style RageQuit - I'm a total disaster aiming with my thumb.
Was really looking forward to try it on PC but many YT videos tell me it's a #%&*$# currently and obviously you too have CTD's and such.

I'd better wait few years.

#4496649 - 11/09/19 06:01 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah Oden, I bought it for my kid too on PS4, but he never took to it, though now that I have it on PC he wants to get back in to it. He doesn't care about missions or quests, just riding around and shooting stuff, jumping off train trestles and that sort of thing.

While I can aim OK with a controller, it's the movement on one stick, and looking around on the other that messes me up. Not sure you have to wait years, but maybe a few weeks is prudent for those who want trouble-free play. I guess we'll see. Honestly I'd recommend it in it's current state even, but only for the more patient among us.

#4496658 - 11/09/19 07:15 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: DBond]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Originally Posted by DBond
And the detail is amazing. For example I noticed Arthur's pupils dilate according to the ambient light. And something as trivial as the ruts made by a passing stage coach. In most games these, if they exist at all, will be a uniform depth and appearance. But in RDR 2 they form according to how firm the ground is. Where it's softer, the ruts will be deep, but will vary as the wheels move over drier ground, where the ruts are less deep or non existent. It looks absolutely real, and this sort of attention to detail is everywhere you look.

When my son comes over to visit, he brings his PS4, and as I had bought him RDR2 for Christmans, I wanted to see it in action. I too was blown away by the details and variety of those details. You can get a reputation by acting in certain ways. Your hair & beard grow in real-time. You get dirty over time. If you eat too much you get fat. All these things (and more I'm sure) cause the random peeps to treat you in a certain way. You can easily get yourself into an undesirable state where no-one will want to talk with you biggrin

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4496661 - 11/09/19 07:24 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Does this game have a first person view?

Happy Birthday Mr Bond! happy_bday

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4496664 - 11/09/19 07:35 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes it does Chucky, (and thanks) and I talked about it a few posts ago. I am playing on foot in first person and third person on the horse.

There is one very annoying aspect to first person and it's the fact that anytime you walk through a door, you exit the door-opening animation looking at the ground/floor. Super annoying.

Good post DM, the game is full of that sort of stuff. I keep comparing it to KCD and while the games are different, they share some of the same themes and design philosophies.

#4496667 - 11/09/19 07:46 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Haha DM, good points smile

#4496768 - 11/10/19 03:05 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I finally worked screenshots out I think. Fraps doesn't work for me, because it's DX 12? I used the built-in camera mode, then the files need to have .jpg extensions added, then need a program more than Paint. I used Irfanview. Photoshop would work too. A bit of a circus really, but the in-game camera suite is pretty cool. All of these shots are untouched. My best shots never got taken as I didn't realize straight away that Fraps wasn't working. I'll get some more now that it seems I've worked it out.

Morning at the Horseshoe Overlook Camp

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A train rumbles through the station

[Linked Image]

The Valentine auction house

[Linked Image]

Post Office/train station

[Linked Image]

Attached Files camp.jpgarthurtrain.jpgrainbows.jpgtrainstation.jpgvalentineauction.jpgvalpostoffice.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 11/11/19 02:08 PM.

#4496773 - 11/10/19 03:27 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
Definitely going to get this one... glad it has now come to the PC smile

#4496783 - 11/10/19 06:26 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: DBond]  
archermav Offline
archermav  Offline

Black Country, England.
That's a tough call archermav. I'm not sure if the improved graphics would be enough to justify it. That's down to each player. There is a little more content, the PC got a few new missions, so there's that. Maybe that, plus the ability to use the mouse might be enough to warrant it? With the current technical state of the game maybe best to wait. And the mod scene is kicking in to gear in case that appeals.

But for those who have never played it and who don't fly off in to a rage when things don't go smoothly, I think it's an absolute must-play sort of game.

Cheers, will give it a miss for now.

#4496834 - 11/11/19 03:37 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I don't how far you are into the game Dbond but you got that auto shotgun pretty fast it seems. I wasn't able to get that until way later on including the Lancaster I think its called.(Henry lever action) I wish I knew how many hours I put into the game. Its not perfect but its an excellent game. I'd think I got close to a hundred hours if not more. I did just about everything I could in the game. The only side quest I never finished was one I started as Arthur but you have to find all the petroglyphs in the game and I'm afraid I can't do that without help. Unless I were to stumble on it I just can't see that well. I almost know RDR2's map like the back of my hand like the first game. I really wish they'd make a storied expansion with more character studies as well as add in some more bounties. There were way less bounties this time but they were done soooo much better. The bounties have a little lore built into them and the characters giving them more meaning. The world and map are just to great to not add more single player content.

The thing that bugged me the most and it could get downright infuriating was the inconsistent and broken acting saddle inventory system that randomly changes your weapons with no rhyme or reason regardless of your chosen configuration. I'd be curious to see if a modder can fix that. I can't for the life of me understand how Rockstar allowed that to pass quality control and why they never fixed it.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4496865 - 11/11/19 01:33 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: Coot]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Coot
I don't how far you are into the game Dbond but you got that auto shotgun pretty fast it seems.

Yes, and I described how I got it a few posts back. I'm in chapter 2. Just found it in a gun case in some lady's cellar at a farm I decided to check out. Good gun, but seems to lack punch a bit. I've been leaning on the side-by-side for most of my shotgunning needs.

I did just about everything I could in the game.

That's impressive, as it's such a big game. I feel like I've done a lot already, but then again I am still in chapter 2. Again and again I am off to do something and along the way another thing happens and I'm sidetracked off in a different direction.

Two more things that I like about RDR 2 I want to mention, the map and the journal. I am a map guy. My friends make fun of me for not using GPS and always checking maps. I study maps for fun believe it or not. So the map in any game is one of the things I tend to be more critical of. Many fall short of my expectations, but some are great, and RDR 2's map is one of those. Nicely drawn, and very useful. It resolves to more and more detail as you zoom in, with even contour lines at the highest zoom. It seemed I was on a streak of substandard maps over the last however many games I've played, but RDR restores the faith with an attractive and functional map.

There is a hand-written journal that's also nicely done, recording Arthur's thoughts on what he has seen and done, along with sketches of things he's encountered. It's written in cursive and must make the youngster's heads explode.

#4496867 - 11/11/19 02:05 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: DBond]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
I am a map guy. My friends make fun of me for not using GPS and always checking maps. I study maps for fun believe it or not. So the map in any game is one of the things I tend to be more critical of. Many fall short of my expectations, but some are great, and RDR 2's map is one of those. Nicely drawn, and very useful. It resolves to more and more detail as you zoom in. It seemed I was on a streak of substandard maps over the last however many games I've played, but RDR restores the faith with an attractive and functional map.

Hah, me too smile love maps, especially paper ones that come with games (remember them.....?)

First thing I had to do in Witcher 3 was to disable quest markers & the mini-map. It felt just wrong playing that fantastically rendered world full of detail by staring at the tiny stupid mini-map to see where to go. Luckily in that you can disable all that stuff right in the game, unlike Skyrim say where you need to mod it out.

So now I need to read the map, and look into the environment to see any nasty greeblies skulking about before deciding on a shortcut through a forest or swamp or something.

I mean that's why we have better & more realistic worlds, right? smile

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4496869 - 11/11/19 02:17 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced For PC [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That's the way to do it but in RDR I must admit I have left the indicators for predators and bad guys on, as without it you'd be jumped too often, or I would anyway. Those lawmen aren't mucking about and get right down to business when they spot you, and I seem to be wanted due to some unfortunate misunderstandings biggrin

FWIW, I had a look at my graphics settings and it defaults to 'Balanced'. That means things like Ultra textures, but medium lighting and I suspect my smooth framerates are due to these unambitious settings. Most posts I read reveal the player is using some resolution I didn't even know existed at Ultra-everything. And as you can see in my screens above, it still looks pretty good with some stuff dialed down.

Page 4 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 22 23

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.