Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4488051 - 08/31/19 02:01 PM Civil War Reenactment Fort Adams, Newport, Rhode Island  
Docjonel Offline
Docjonel  Offline

It seems American Civil War reenactments are becoming less and less common. Always a niche pastime, the participants are getting older and the younger generation has less interest in such things. Like the history they portray, I suspect they will eventually fade away.
This event took place at Fort Adams in Newport, Rhode Island on August 24, 2019.

The Confederate encampment:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Northern troops:
[Linked Image]

Taunting the enemy:
[Linked Image]

Seems I'm always shooting into the sun...
[Linked Image]

"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" -- Mark 8:36
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4488053 - 08/31/19 02:10 PM Re: Civil War Reenactment Fort Adams, Newport, Rhode Island [Re: Docjonel]  
Docjonel Offline
Docjonel  Offline

Again, I was shooting into the sun, grrrr.

Firing on the Rebs.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Union artillery:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mobility was the key to the Northern victory that day.

[Linked Image]

He suspects something is not right....
[Linked Image]

As it would have looked 150 years ago:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Docjonel; 08/31/19 02:13 PM.

"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" -- Mark 8:36
#4488529 - 09/05/19 06:36 PM Re: Civil War Reenactment Fort Adams, Newport, Rhode Island [Re: Docjonel]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Ah yes, all of those ACW battles that were fought in Rhode Island! wink

You are absolutely correct that the reenactments are slowly fading away. History in general just isn't that important to younger generations.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4493717 - 10/20/19 03:03 AM Re: Civil War Reenactment Fort Adams, Newport, Rhode Island [Re: Docjonel]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Great photos, thanks for sharing Docjonel. Even though its a re-enactment just the men lying on the ground stirs me. What was the tone like from your experienced? I imagine everyone's there to enjoy one another and to celebrate history but I imagine when its time to portray the battles everyone conducts themselves with integrity and purpose. I'd also love to visit the camps when everyone is relaxing and playing music and cooking. Probably a great atmosphere. I wonder if the Union drummer is a free mason and would a soldier advertise that affiliation? Even in the Union Army wasn't there a certain degree of non-uniformity in apparel and unit markings, flags and such? I just wonder if that patch is his own personal touch or if he's actually representing something seen in old photos or known about in unit culture at the time.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4493824 - 10/20/19 08:42 PM Re: Civil War Reenactment Fort Adams, Newport, Rhode Island [Re: Docjonel]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Missed this when it was originally posted... the second shot, with the boy - is somehow brilliant. Also the old confederate guy is a really good catch in that expression.

Thanks for sharing.

#4496002 - 11/04/19 07:53 PM Re: Civil War Reenactment Fort Adams, Newport, Rhode Island [Re: Docjonel]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Went to a couple Revolution re-enactments back in the 90's when I lived in Coventry R.I.and caught a huge Civil war one at Gettysburg That's where the second wife took me for a honeymoon..She's history but i visit there once a year Great Pictures

Russ
Semper Fi
#4496003 - 11/04/19 07:55 PM Re: Civil War Reenactment Fort Adams, Newport, Rhode Island [Re: Docjonel]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Gettysburg is definitely on my bucket list of places to visit. I've been to the battle sites for Chancellorsville and Fredericksburg though. That was a great experience.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4504141 - 01/18/20 07:52 AM Re: Civil War Reenactment Fort Adams, Newport, Rhode Island [Re: Docjonel]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Ye
Originally Posted by Docjonel
It seems American Civil War reenactments are becoming less and less common. Always a niche pastime, the participants are getting older and the younger generation has less interest in such things. Like the history they portray, I suspect they will eventually fade away.

Yeah, I noticed this a few years ago during the 150th anniversary of the Civil War. I actually went to Gettysburg to watch the 150th anniversary reenactment, expecting something similar to the massive fights staged for the 125th anniversary I had seen in old VHS videos. While it was still an enjoyable experience, I confess I was ultimately a bit underwhelmed by it (though, I did learn after that some controversy had split the reenactment into two separate, uncoordinated events, but still . . .).

#4504143 - 01/18/20 09:46 AM Re: Civil War Reenactment Fort Adams, Newport, Rhode Island [Re: Docjonel]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Over here in England, large increases in insurance premiums and health and safety compliance issues have caused the demise of a number of smaller events.
The trend now seems to be for 'Live History Events' featuring a full range of periods and reenactment societies from Iron Age to WW2 gathering to spread the financial commitments.

Has direction of interest Stateside changed? I went to assess a Greyhound as a prospective foster (due to owner's demise) this week, and got talking to the Son who makes armour and accessories for Medieval fairs and HEMA events who says most of his demand is from the US; more orders than he can cope with.

#4504926 - 01/25/20 12:26 AM Re: Civil War Reenactment Fort Adams, Newport, Rhode Island [Re: Docjonel]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Wow! That 1862 pickup is incredibly well restored!

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4505108 - 01/27/20 02:38 AM Re: Civil War Reenactment Fort Adams, Newport, Rhode Island [Re: Docjonel]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

The one re-actment Civil War group was shut down ( that I know of ) here in ca. The powers that be said the permit allowed up to 1500 people at the site at a time. Then in the 3rd show year they changed it to Totals must include Spectators and Ventors so it was shut down. Sad.

#4505129 - 01/27/20 11:45 AM Re: Civil War Reenactment Fort Adams, Newport, Rhode Island [Re: Docjonel]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I wonder what the rationale was for the 1500 person limit?

#4505413 - 01/29/20 02:19 PM Re: Civil War Reenactment Fort Adams, Newport, Rhode Island [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
Me and my family will be visiting the US this summer. Gettysburg is on the list, so are Hampton Roads, Manassas and possibly Fredericksburg. Are all these solid choices for a day out? We'll also be spending a few days in the Shenandoah Valley, are there any recommended CW related sites in that area?

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
#4505415 - 01/29/20 02:27 PM Re: Civil War Reenactment Fort Adams, Newport, Rhode Island [Re: Johan217]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Johan217
Me and my family will be visiting the US this summer. Gettysburg is on the list, so are Hampton Roads, Manassas and possibly Fredericksburg. Are all these solid choices for a day out? We'll also be spending a few days in the Shenandoah Valley, are there any recommended CW related sites in that area?

Of the sites you listed I’ve only visited Fredericksburg and I can highly recommend it for a visit! The city itself is very nice and the surrounding geography is beautiful.

#4507890 - 02/19/20 01:57 PM Re: Civil War Reenactment Fort Adams, Newport, Rhode Island [Re: Docjonel]  
David Kennard Offline
David Kennard  Offline

Northern Virginia, USA
If you are making your way North after Manassas you also have Harpers Ferry, Monocacy & Antietam (+ many others) on the way to Gettysburg.

"I'm a hundred miles away son, ready to strike"

GPL Racing: Average Drivers Club

SimHQ Motorsports: SimHQ Motorsports

EVGA Z170 Classified K MB, Intel i7-6700K CPU, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GPU, EVGA 850 G3 PSU, Bitfenix Dawn TG Case, Windows 10,
32gb T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 3600MHz Memory, 500gb WD Black SN750 NVMe Boot Drive

#4507995 - 02/20/20 04:08 PM Re: Civil War Reenactment Fort Adams, Newport, Rhode Island [Re: Docjonel]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
Aw, the agony of choosing... So many things to see, so little time. I praise myself very lucky that both my wife and my son have turned out to be history buffs too smile

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
#4508367 - 02/25/20 04:32 AM Re: Civil War Reenactment Fort Adams, Newport, Rhode Island [Re: Docjonel]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
I visited Gettysburg with my family in 2006. It was an amazing experience to stand where Chamberlains men stood in 1863. I will never forget the Little Round Tops.

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#4517939 - 04/24/20 05:32 PM Re: Civil War Reenactment Fort Adams, Newport, Rhode Island [Re: Johan217]  
Skycat Offline
Hotshot
Skycat  Offline
Hotshot

Pennsylvania or Montana
Originally Posted by Johan217

When you are able to visit the U.S. and if the National Parks are open, I hope you are able to visit all of the sites on your list. I've been to Gettysburg many times, and Antietam and Manassas each a couple of times as well. They are further apart from each other than a map suggests and you can easily lose several hours just driving from one battlefield to the next.

Gettysburg requires at least a full day to experience properly. The park's interpretive center is huge -- much larger than the one at Antietam in 2014 and what I remember at Manassas in 1999. The battlefield at Gettysburg is mostly complete and, while expansive, is easier in my opinion to comprehend 'boots on the ground' than Antietam or Manassas. Most importantly, much of Gettysburg's local economy caters to battlefield tourism so the town is rich with licensed guides, souvenir shops, private museums, antique dealers, reenactment suppliers, ghost hunting tours, etc.

Here is my recommendation for touring Gettysburg: Begin on the Chambersburg Pike at the McPherson Farm where Lee's army first clashed with Buford's cavalry and the first day's fighting unfolded. Visit the Lutheran Seminary's museum on Seminary Ridge -- it is worth the admission. Anticipate 2-3 hours in this area. From here the Federal army retreated through the streets of Gettysburg and consolidated on Cemetery Hill, so drive through town and work your way over to the Military Park's interpretive center. Anticipate 2 hours at interpretive center. You can easily spend all day on the battlefield itself, especially if you walk it. If you drive the auto tour, I recommend first going the Round Tops area (1 hour) and then Culp's Hill (1 hour) to cover Day 2's fighting. From there you can detour to Confederate Avenue to review General Longstreet's positions, then visit the Wheat Field and Peach Orchard battle areas on Emmittsburg Road; or go directly to the Bryan Farm area for the Federal positions during Pickett's Charge. That's a full day of activities; I recommend staying overnight in Gettysburg and pacing your visit.

Remove before flight

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.