Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4495308 - 10/31/19 07:17 AM Bees fly don't they?  
IceecI Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.
IceecI  Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.

I was flying Hornet yesterday, haven't been flying for a long, long time. I've only been following its status mainly. As I said I wanted to hop in and try my favorite plane so opened my pre-made mission template and started editing stuff.
There wasn't much to do fortunately, I had most of the units already placed on map. I thought I'd like to try some HARMs, I've seen them work in the videos. So I added SA-11 site with 4 units and some infantry plus cargo trucks, put the triggers in place and hopped wildly as a cat in my VFA-131 CAG plane.

I then launched from Stennis with 2 anti-radiation missiles onboard together with 4 satellite/inertial guided bombs, thought if I get the Surface to Air Missile radar unit destroyed I could then trash those two SAM launchers and their command truck.

After flying an hour or so, I was closing my designated target waypoint. I looked at my lower display, in the situational awareness page and saw I was at enemies' radar coverage area. My plane's Radar Warning Receiver started screaming of radar lock on me and soon after that there were two launches of 9M38M1 missiles heading towards me. I couldn't get neither my AGM-88C High-speed Anti-Radiation Missiles off at the first try, so I had to go defensive. 2 More launches more while turned away from SAMs while dropping chaff.

Another try then, turned again towards those pesky little bastards and same again, radar lock on me and soon new launches. This time I managed to launch my missile towards the search radar. Enemy units kept shooting more missiles, so it was evading time for me again.

Third time I turned towards the site and this time targets wouldn't lock on me (no more missiles atm?), so I continued towards them. Just when I though I was safe, RWR announced another radar lock on me and soon missiles inbound. I had thought that I'd already destroyed the search radar, but later I learned that it was only 40% damaged. Ground to air missiles, again were heading towards me, I then shot my other HARM quickly before turning to evade new missiles the enemies had shot. More aluminium to the sky.

My second HARM went to other SA-11 launcher successfully destroying it and a bunch on unlucky infantry guys near it. Later when turning towards targets my RWR went silent. Looks like the first AGM-88C did its job afterall; The burning wreck of search radar had exploded, probably due the other explosion nearby.
After getting a confimation that the search radar indeed was destroyed I proceeded closer to the enemy site. RWR didn't announce any lock on me so I turned my Forward Looking Infra Red sensor towards the remaining enemies.

The second SAM launcher still left and SA-11 command vehicle near it, these were the only targets for me to destroy. I switched to my Joint Direct Attack Munition bombs - guided bomb units, in short GBU-38s, looked up the remaining targets and transferred coordinates one by one from my AN/AAQ-28 targeting pod and soon after that I dropped my weapons.
Boom and boom, SAM system had been taken out. Enemy now had one less surface to air missile unit and the command unit didn't make it either. Also, unfortunately there were now some more funerals inbound for enemies, all the infantry lied still on the ground.

After that I still had 2 JDAMs so I started looking other targets at area and found those supply trucks. Other one was already destroyed, I guess it didn't keep out of harms way then and got destroyed by other explosions near it.
Main ammo truck was moving away from the target area, but it I set my sensor to follow it. After it stopped, I dropped another pair of bombs and they hit the target (Yea, I have to pay that other bomb myself...) leaving only just a black smoke and burning wrecks.

Mission complete. But I now had another trouble; just 3k lbs of fuel and the carrier was too far away for me to fly so I tuned 264 MHz and contacted the tanker which was somewhere in the area. It was quite far, around 100 miles, but I had fuel more than enough for that trip so I set TACAN 55X and on my way I was.

After refueling and taking some 3k lbs more fuel I then contacted CVN-74 Stennis and informed them I was ready to return, changed my air navigation system to 74X, ICLS system on - channel 7 and turned towards the TACAN bug on my HUD.

After landing on carrier the ground crew came to congratulate me for mission success (or was it just the text upper right corner... can't remember...:P).

I'm glad that all the systems I needed worked as they should so I could once again enjoy flying the bee. Overall I'm quite pleased with the state of the Hornet, I just wish it would have been sooner for me and the others to enjoy the plane. But, It just works now.
I'm hoping that the ECM system will be worked on and I'm positive that the TWS is also coming quite soon. I actually used (bug?) TWS already; I locked my tanker and the radar kept scanning while tracking the tanker. Only after second press of the lock button then made it STT lock.

So there was a little story which no one asked.
Over and out.

Give a man fish and he gets food, give a man a fishing rod and he asks for another one.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4495310 - 10/31/19 07:39 AM Re: Bees fly don't they? [Re: IceecI]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

I think this is the first time I've read an action report for/from DCS.
Well written IceecI and I had a few laughs in there too smile

Any possibility to bring in some AI wingmen next time and add some of their actions too (my Viggen AI are usually pretty retarded so it would be nice to hear experience from other modules)?

#4495311 - 10/31/19 08:01 AM Re: Bees fly don't they? [Re: IceecI]  
IceecI Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.
IceecI  Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.

Unfortunately, the AI is what it is, I rather fly alone. Although I did mission yesterday too, where me and my wingman took out some 20 or so armored vehicles. AI did good, he had 2 Mk-83s and 4 GBU-38s and yea he really blasted away. No complaints in that. Heh and didn't even run out fuel. It was some 210 nm mission.

Last edited by IceecI; 10/31/19 08:02 AM.

Give a man fish and he gets food, give a man a fishing rod and he asks for another one.
#4495426 - 10/31/19 08:30 PM Re: Bees fly don't they? [Re: IceecI]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Hotshot

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by IceecI

This is the sort of stuff I want to read instead of the endless bickering. More unsolicited content please thumbsup

Animals flee this hell, the hardest stones cannot bear it for long. Only men endure
#4495479 - 11/01/19 08:14 AM Re: Bees fly don't they? [Re: IceecI]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Originally Posted by DBond
Originally Posted by IceecI

This is the sort of stuff I want to read instead of the endless bickering. More unsolicited content please thumbsup

In my time here I have never experienced or witnessed 1st hand, any bickering in the DCS forum. We are all professional flight sim enthusiasts, and from what I see, everyone here is courteous towards one another. We (well I know I do) reply respectfully towards other members, even at times where in the rarest of cases, we may not see eye to eye. I can honestly say that when sharing thoughts and opinions, comments and replies come from members who have the upmost respect towards the content posted by other members here at SimHQ.

Post a few examples of this 'endless bickering' you speak of, I have seen 'friendly banter' but never 'bickering'

#4495534 - 11/01/19 02:59 PM Re: Bees fly don't they? [Re: Winfield]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Hotshot

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Winfield

Post a few examples of this 'endless bickering' you speak of

I think you are bickering about whether there's bickering. No thanks, not interested in fulfilling your request, but I would like to see more posts like the OP.

Bicker means to argue about petty and trivial matters and has nothing to do with respect or being a 'professional flight sim enthusiast'.

Animals flee this hell, the hardest stones cannot bear it for long. Only men endure
#4495537 - 11/01/19 03:05 PM Re: Bees fly don't they? [Re: Winfield]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal

Post a few examples of this 'endless bickering' you speak of, I have seen 'friendly banter' but never 'bickering'

Maybe "endless ranting" would be a better way to describe it. Examples shouldn't be too hard to find...

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
#4495543 - 11/01/19 03:25 PM Re: Bees fly don't they? [Re: IceecI]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Hotshot

NooJoyzee
Hey Malibu, still flying Falcon?

OK, maybe bicker was imprecise? How about harangue, fulminate or vociferate? Anyway, I just wanted to show support for the OP, and could have left out the snarky comment. But what's done is done smile

#4495557 - 11/01/19 04:05 PM Re: Bees fly don't they? [Re: IceecI]  
mdwa Offline
mdwa  Offline

Way over in Perth, Western Aus...
Great AAR, good read, need more of this stuff!

I haven't got myself to get the crippled Hornet yet, I said to myself I'll get it when it has TWS and AG radar...

In the meantime I'm thoroughly occupied with the F-14B, AV-8BNA and Su-25 (not the T)

But the T is good too...

mdwa
#4495560 - 11/01/19 04:09 PM Re: Bees fly don't they? [Re: malibu43]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Originally Posted by malibu43

Maybe "endless ranting" would be a better way to describe it. Examples shouldn't be too hard to find...

Ah....so that is what bickering is? News to me. Here I am thinking 'I must be the only member who does not bicker' anyone else care to share an example? I may be slow on the uptake but I am beginning to get a grasp on this 'bickering' ideology

#4495564 - 11/01/19 04:17 PM Re: Bees fly don't they? [Re: DBond]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Hey Malibu, still flying Falcon?

Here is where I am at a loss though, is asking a question that is completely off topic that would have been best asked asked in a pm. Yet, meanwhile, straight after posting an 'endless rant' example, I am at a loss, is this quoted question classed as 'bickering'?

Last edited by Winfield; 11/01/19 04:20 PM. Reason: Having a 'bisher....I mean bicker'
#4495615 - 11/01/19 08:29 PM Re: Bees fly don't they? [Re: DBond]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
[quote=IceecI]

This is the sort of stuff I want to read instead of the endless bickering.

Ugh...and this is exactly how a thread turns to crap. Here was a perfectly harmless and well done AAR...and some disturber has to dredge up old B.S.

Thanks for illustrating why we can't have good threads last long at all DBond. 3rd post in, and somebody has to screw it up.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4495651 - 11/02/19 12:12 AM Re: Bees fly don't they? [Re: IceecI]  
trindade Offline
trindade  Offline

Portugal
Excellent AAR Iceecl, hope to see more soon, they are most welcome around here. thumbsup
I don't get all this negativity toward DBond's post. Unfortunately is true. That's why we all liked and praised the Iceecl's AAR! smile

#4495729 - 11/02/19 04:40 PM Re: Bees fly don't they? [Re: IceecI]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Glad you enjoyed it. Have you considered CBUs for mopping up the site?

For the SA-11: The launchers have their own tracking radar and do not need the search radar to engage, although their ability to search for targets is quite limited.

--
44th VFW
#4495741 - 11/02/19 06:07 PM Re: Bees fly don't they? [Re: GrayGhost]  
IceecI Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.
IceecI  Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.

Originally Posted by GrayGhost
Glad you enjoyed it. Have you considered CBUs for mopping up the site?

When I want to use HARMs and JDAMs no. I don't consider that as an option unless you bring me F/A-18E. Then I consider those.

Originally Posted by GrayGhost
For the SA-11: The launchers have their own tracking radar and do not need the search radar to engage, although their ability to search for targets is quite limited.

Thanks I didn't know that, thought that those 11's on my RWR were birthday candles, I hate those. That's why I shot anti-radiation missile towards them.

#4495840 - 11/03/19 02:07 PM Re: Bees fly don't they? [Re: IceecI]  
IceecI Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.
IceecI  Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.

Last week I got a call from F/A-18 Marines squadron. They said they needed a test pilot for one mission and of course I was excited from the beginning. Being Navy guy I've only flown Hornets with Navy's own squadron markings, so now was a good opportunity for me to test Marine Hornets in action. Different colors and markings has said to make the planes faster, but at the time I really didn't have any proof to know for sure.

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard the mission briefing. I was supposed to arm my Hornet with variety of weapons, which was fine, but when I heard I'm to take a pet monkey as a wingman I wasn't so sure anymore. I knew Marines do some things way differently but still, this was a new one.

Our mission targets consisted of 4 T-72B battle tanks, 10 cargo trucks, 3 BTR-80 armored personnel carriers, 4 hardened bunkers and 6 military FARP tents. Our primary targets were the bunkers and T-72 tanks, other targets were considered as secondary targets. The plan was that the trained monkey a.k.a. wingman would get rid of the T-72 tanks and if possible some softer targets too while I concentrated on bunkers and BTR-80s.
Also I wasn't sure if my wingman could tell the difference between a truck and a banana, that added an extra layer of nervousness. I needed to arm my plane so that I had something for the soft targets too.

I loaded my plane with AGM-154As, GBU-38s and Mk-83s. Those should do the trick. I also thought that my wingman (callsign 'El Retardo') should have GBU-38s too, since as far as I know, there has never been a single successful launch of a Joint Direct Attack Munitions by a trained monkey.

So because I was in charge of what weapons I want to use in any given mission scenario - as I mentioned earlier, I decided that I take AGM-154As, GBU-38s and Mk-83s with me, 4 GBUs and 2 of JSOWs and Mk-83s. GBU-38 was perfect precision bomb for those bunkers and Mk-83s with their larger area damage would help to destroy vehicles or I could attack the tanks if they weren't all destroyed by my wingman, which was very possible considering its furryness. AGM-154As could then be used for those softer target trucks if necessary.

Wingman had 4 GBU-38s (to be honest I wasn't expecting much accuracy from it, considering it probably didn't have much flight hours) and I thought it should also carry some unguided free fall bombs too, what could go wrong.
My 4 JDAMs were intended to destroy those bunkers and my wingman would use its own GBU-38s for destroying the tanks and hopefully get rid of all of them. I heard that even monkeys can hit with dumb bombs so I instructed ground crew to attach 4 Mk-83 bombs for it too.
The AN/AAQ-28 Litening pods were then equipped to planes for those GBU-38s and AGM-154s for easy targeting in TOO mode.

Since Al Dhafra, which was our takeoff field, houses many different squadrons and it is also possible to order certain planes to the field. I went online and ordered two F/A-18Cs, I decided to go with VMFA-251 Thunderbolts, mainly for the mystery about the planes speed. A plane with a thunderbolt marking surely should fly faster than any other (at the time I wasn't yet fully aware that the paint on plane doesn't actually make the plane go any faster, I see now why they didn't mention any of that in flight school).

So VMFA-251 CAG plane with nice red thunderbolt markings on tail for me and for my uncommon pet I chose regular low visual marked plane because... well because of reasons.

We got further information about our targets when our squadron commander (former F-14A Radar Intercept Officer) hopped into his new shiny Yak-52 training plane and took a photograph of our target area. Below is a picture of the area, which helped me to get a better understanding as to what we were up against. I then liberated my (not so) artistic talents and named the enemies in the picture.
Talking about F-14 RIOs, I heard that one got killed when a plane went to uncontrollable (whatever that means) flatspin due incompetent pilot who couldn't get the flatspin of the plane corrected, sad but true, I guess some missions are just too impossible - but that's a story for some other time.

Da Batlfield
[Linked Image]

Our flight briefing sheets seemed somewhat informational (however my wingman's sheet didn't make any sense to me, I was just lucky I got the easy one).

Preflight briefing
[Linked Image]

It was then time for action, we took off from Al Dhafra air force base 0810 in the morning and headed towards our mission targets. I decided that altitude of approx. 12 000 would be high enough and I could still easily drop at least 2 GBUs at one pass. I had to conserve fuel as much as possible, so I didn't want to waste any more fuel for climbing. When we got closer to target area, to my surprise El Retardo already spotted armored targets. I then instructed it to attack the targets, meanwhile I searched target bunkers with my targeting pod. I soon spotted first bunker and used area track mode to point my sensor right to the bottom of the bunker. Once in range I dropped my first bomb and then zoomed out to find another one nearby. I soon locked on to the other bunker and released second bomb. They both hit their targets.
Because there was no ground threat at this altitude we were flying, I overflew the target zone and turned for another pass. After turning I quickly located the other two bunkers, locked the target coordinates and released 2 bombs again successfully hitting the two.

When I then continued searching enemies I spotted the 4 tanks parked near the military tent. It became very clear to me that my wingman had totally ignored the tanks and was now attacking, well some targets I guess. Commanding it to destroy the tanks obviously was too much to be asked, I literally felt cold shivers when my in-build optimism started slowly fade away as I realised to what trouble I had put myself into.
So I had now wasted my JDAMs and the bunkers were destroyed, but the other primary threat, the tanks were still intact. Also I wanted to destroy those BTR-80s. I selected my Mk-83s and went to tanks, I targeted one near military tent and dropped 1 bomb right next to the tank and watched the bomb successfully destroy the tent.

I should have known better, obviously my bomb was no threat to a tank made of stalinium. I didn't even bother to waste tax-payers money more since the mission already had gone south. Wingman failed to kill it's targets, so I ordered my El Retardo to RTB and turned my plane towards Al Dhafra air base as well.

The next day I completely changed my plans and changed my loadout to 2 AGM-154Cs, and 6 Mk-82s, four of the 82s having standard laser guidance kits and the other two had GPS/INS kits. AN/AAQ-28 Litening target pod stayed at center pylon and the Vulcan cannon was again ready to rock 'n' roll. That would ensure the destruction of the bunkers and the stalinium tanks. I then ordered a change to my wingman's loadout too, despite my general concern of healthiness of local wildlife, this time he would carry 8 Mk-83s and a center fuel tank (I added some extra fuel because in our last mission it reached bingo fuel level during its attacks). Air refueling tanker was also now available and we might need to refuel our planes before heading back to Al Dhafra. Our route lenght was 200 nm + miles we traveled when attacking targets.
Now the plan was simple so that even a monkey could understand that. I would take out the tanks and the bunkers and my wingman would attack rest of targets, I could then help it with my 20mm M61A1.

So then we started the mission again and when flying towards the target area I couldn't stop thinking about the mental state of my wingman.. Fortunately those thoughts quickly went away when I started punching in laser codes for my bombs and targeting pod.
I had 2 AGM-154Cs and I thought I shoot bunkers with those. I targeted the first bunker and transferred the coordinates from target pod to AGM-154 system and dropped the bomb once I was close enough, then targeted next bunker and released another weapon. I continued towards the target area, zoomed out my targeting pod and kept my eyes on those bunkers. After some minute and a half I saw both bunkers blow up and my first JSOW also destroyed BTR-80 nearby. I then selected my JDAMs set their electric fusing to instant and waited them to align properly while I searched the other two bunkers. Once I located them, I turned towards them and soon my GBU-38s were on their way. Boom and boom, half of assigned targets down.

El Retardo also spotted armored targets during my time attacking and I ordered it to attack. It attacked tanks this time (I'm sure it was just trying to piss me off) and managed to destroy 2 of them before changing its mind and instead destroying rest of the tanks, it apparently decided that the trucks make much nicer fireworks when blown up, so it started to attack the trucks. I'm sure there is something I don't understand in monkeys' logical thinking processes.
I then searched those remaining tanks which my dear wingman had kindly left for me to kill. I Switched my laser on, located the tanks and then destroyed them with my GBU-12 laser guided bombs, that all happened while El Retardo was playing with its new toy trucks.

After doing what it does best (apparently) the monkey shouted 'bingo fuel' so I ordered it to fly to tanker and it then left the combat area and headed towards the KC-130 tanker plane. I still had two bombs left so I arranged a special delivery and those last 2 BTR-80s didn't probably know what hit them. Now we only had some military trucks left and I let my 20mm Vulcan sing and destroyed as many of them as I could before reaching bingo fuel myself. I then hit TCN button on my HSI and turned towards tanker. Once I got closer to tanker I saw my wingman already taking fuel while tanker steadily flew with a F/A-18 escort plane at its right side. I waited El Retardo to finish its drinking and ordered a drink myself. I took 2000 lbs of fuel which would be enough for return trip to base. I then changed to waypoint mode and headed towards waypoint 2 - Al Dhafra.

After landing we got to debriefing and went through the mission details and we even got rewarded, which was new to me. We got some rewards which I'm sure are highly valued in worldwide military aviation community, I have to say I was quite honored to receive those. Unfortunately I can't tell what my wingman thought about it, it was speechless and couldn't express itself (I mean literally), frankly I'm amazed how well it can communicate when sitting in a fighter plane.

I compiled and attached a picture of some preflight photographs and also a picture of medals we got.

[Linked Image]

Mission was success, but next time some marine asks me to test flight something, I say "Nope, can't do, Sir".

Last edited by IceecI; 11/08/19 02:15 AM.

#4495999 - 11/04/19 07:39 PM Re: Bees fly don't they? [Re: IceecI]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Nice AAR Iceecl.

#4496170 - 11/06/19 07:57 AM Re: Bees fly don't they? [Re: IceecI]  
rollnloop. Online content
rollnloop.  Online Content

France
Great piece of writing Iceel, thanks cheers

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Ratnik shovel mini review
by Crane Hunter. 02/26/20 06:27 AM
Smithsonian Open Access?
by Rick_Rawlings. 02/26/20 05:21 AM
When the live song beats the studio version...
by Zamzow. 02/26/20 03:55 AM
Mussolini speaks in Engish!
by PanzerMeyer. 02/25/20 05:08 PM
Brut force melody hacking
by Red2112. 02/25/20 11:41 AM
I just had a threesome at the doctors!
by Ajay. 02/25/20 04:59 AM
Original Longbow Gold on Win 10?
by TerribleTwo. 02/25/20 12:39 AM
What's the longest movie you've seen in the theater?
by PanzerMeyer. 02/24/20 04:18 PM
'Microjets' are so cool.
by MarkG. 02/24/20 05:41 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.