Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4495268 - 10/30/19 07:53 PM A long time ago I could do this, not now.  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
I need some computer folks that can help me improve my old " Origin " computer so I can once again fly with you .
I live in Scottsdale AZ and will love some one who will come to my house to fix it .

Thanks folks for your help !!

Origin made- silverstone case,ASUS Max VI Extreme , CPU intel Core i7 4770k, cooling asotex 570LC, NVIDA 3G GTX 780 Ti , Mem 16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 ,game drive 120GB INTEL X25 SS, OS drive 1TB, Win 7 home Prem.Logitech G105 key board,BenQ XL2430 Gaming Monitor.
All pilots owe me a beer. Retired USAF Rescue/Survival, Special Forces, and MI (after I got old and grey).
#4495279 - 10/30/19 09:10 PM Re: A long time ago I could do this, not now. [Re: CW3SF]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

I am sure there are at least a few people - myself included - who could do something like this.

What isn't so certain is how many are local and could do it 'on-site' for a reasonable cost.

Sounds like you have a reasonably capable system, perhaps just in need of a video card upgrade. Have you considered this?

If you're considering anything beyond just a graphics card upgrade, the truth is you'd probably require essentially a new system. Here's why:

- The CPU you have is likely at the high end of what the motherboard will support, and upgrading both of those would also mean new memory (DDR4).
- Also, a new motherboard would almost certainly mean M.2/NVMe SSD support (more than 10x faster than the SSD you have now). Although this isn't strictly necessary, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have a faster, new system that is 'held down' by much older technology SATA II SSDs like the Intel X25.
- You would definitely want to change graphics cards, if you're going to replace the motherboard, CPU and memory, else your GPU will be holding the system back.
- And, as much as most people hate it, you'd probably wind up going to Windows 10, depending on the exact system components you wound up with.

So you can see that, in a nutshell: Upgrade your GPU, or replace (almost all) of the system. One route would obviously be cheaper but still could be very effective as an upgrade; the GPU could be replaced with something twice as powerful for a few hundred $, fairly easy to do and doesn't require starting over like a new build will. The other way would offer higher performance overall but at greater cost; you could easily go into $1000 - 2000+ and of course would mean everything has to be reloaded.

Another alternative is you might consider shipping the system to someone who can upgrade it for you. (Of course, this isn't usually very cost-effective, but in terms of cost it is between "Do it Yourself" and "Buy an Entirely New System".)

I'd be happy to go into more detail - PM me if you want.

Last edited by kksnowbear; 10/30/19 09:56 PM.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80