Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4494879 - 10/27/19 08:57 PM Spoiler: Air Activity Levels and Aircraft numbers  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Spoiler alert. Do not click below unless you want to know how Air Activity effects aircraft numbers in the game.
Normally I do not wish to know, too deeply, how things work in the game but everyone knows this fact just not the exact numbers. I needed a baseline to determine how high I could go in 1918 with AA levels and still have acceptable FPS.
Numbers courtesy of JJJ65's Mission Editor.

Set up:
21 March 1918 - the first day of the great German Offensive aka "Kaiserschlacht." Figured big numbers.
Flying with Jasta 11 starting a flight, quitting, getting the aircraft number, then deleting the career and doing another changing the Air Activity Level.
Only difference between the careers was the mission assignment, in-game morning start time, and slightly (very slightly) different weather.

Ultra Heavy: 798 aircraft. Of interest about 2 weeks before the offensive was to start (in another career) I had 879 aircraft. The subsequent lag fest started me looking.
Very Heavy: 543 aircraft.
Heavy: 344 aircraft.
Medium: 195 aircraft.
Light: 149 aircraft.
Very Light: 75 aircraft.

Because of the couple dozen variables I didn't concern myself with FPS other then a quick glance. But, right at mission start, less aircraft does not always mean better FPS *at that moment.*

Of course a different squadron in a different time and different place will have different numbers. Even if you were silly enough to waste 40 minutes of your life duplicating what I did here I suspect your numbers would be still be different.
And in-game FPS is not just about aircraft numbers (I learned from previous tests) but its a good start. With all that said this may be considered a general guide reference the proportionality of the different settings.

#4494883 - 10/27/19 09:17 PM Re: Spoiler: Air Activity Levels and Aircraft numbers [Re: DukeIronHand]  
jakethescot1 Offline
jakethescot1  Offline

I'm in RFC 54 in 1916 and have my setting set to heavy. My forced encounter is off. I want my encounters to be random. I read years ago, I think in Rickenbackers book, where he said at times while flying, he could smell castor oil and knew something had passed recently. That's the way I like to play. Let it just happen and not forced into a fight.

#4494907 - 10/28/19 02:23 AM Re: Spoiler: Air Activity Levels and Aircraft numbers [Re: DukeIronHand]  
orbyxP Offline
orbyxP  Offline

Washington State
If you examine the mission file deeper, you'll notice half or more flights are either on standby or set to takoff much later in the mission.

Also, with those very high aircraft numbers, you can "stress" test your PC by flying over the front. Select an air start and adjusting the waypoint in the briefing screen to start over the front. Then after a minute, check your FPS.

#4494934 - 10/28/19 09:33 AM Re: Spoiler: Air Activity Levels and Aircraft numbers [Re: DukeIronHand]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Yes I have flown missions from start to finish with 800+ aircraft.
But it’s not just this number. There is also much more going on in the game world that determines FPS. Dynamic Campaign!

I need a setting where I can fly any mission, from start to finish, in any weather, and any location ground offensive or no. Finding out on Day 5 of a Campaign, mid-mission, that your computer ain’t cutting it is most annoying. Along with some other FPS tricks I think I’m going to start at Heavy in 1918. If this turns out to be a bad guess I’ll just delete and restart. Ultra Heavy has been great so far in 1917 though a major offensive is upcoming.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM